Start by marking “A Little More About Me” as Want to Read:
A   Little More About Me

A Little More About Me

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  704 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
The road I've taken these five years has been a long and twisted one, writes Pam Houston in the first piece of this stirring collection. That journey takes the acclaimed author of Cowboys Are My Weakness and Waltzing the Cat across five continents, through forty whitewater rivers, over three thousand miles of backcountry hiking trails, on more than four hundred planes. But ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Washington Square Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Little More About Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little More About Me

Jo
Jan 03, 2013 Jo rated it it was amazing
Pam Houston is a photographer, white water rafter, hunter, hiker, biker, climber, lover of all dogs and one of the best writers around in my opinion.

This book was a bit of a switch from the other's I've read. Probably because it was truly more of a memoir rather than her linking fiction.

This book was not accepted as easily by her fans but I call them fickle. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!
Peter Hoffmeister
May 17, 2011 Peter Hoffmeister rated it really liked it
"The Morality of Fat" alone is worth the cost of the book, and a few other essays are similarly brilliant.
Houston doesn't honesty assess her climbing or rafting abilities (a pet peeve of mine as an outdoor leader), but I love her honesty, her family details, and the way she gives voices to the dogs of Park City.
Read the opening, and you'll be hooked.
Richard Jespers
Dec 09, 2014 Richard Jespers rated it it was amazing
Great essays, especially after spending a week in workshop with her. Just love them all—a whole different side of Pam. Her fiction is so spicy. In these essays she’s vulnerable, not so sardonic. Both are honest but in different ways.

I was particularly struck by her essay entitled "The Morality of Fat." She once casually announced that fat is the last prejudice. In her essay she makes such an assertion visceral:

"'People never forget what you look like the first time they see you,' my mother alway
Roger Paine
Feb 03, 2015 Roger Paine rated it really liked it
Pam Houston went to school in the east and fell in love with the west -- the Rocky Mountains and the redrock Utah deserts. She became a whitewater river rafting guide. Her best-known book is a collection of short stories, "Cowboys Are My Weakness." But this book of essays is really worth your time. She's a terrific writer, and if you love the outdoors, you'll be right there with her as you read some of these essays. I particularly loved "A River Runs Through Them," published originally in The Ne ...more
Heather Alderman
I have loved Pam Houston's fiction and was so excited to find this biography from her. Unfortunately, it is more a collection of essays of her adventures than a biography and I had a hard time getting into it. It was interesting to read of the adventures and people that she has encountered and see how it influenced her fiction, but I would have liked a different organization of the essays to better understand how she got from one place to the other.
Kate
Dec 23, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I love her writing, her insights, and her lifestyle. When I got to the end, I wanted more. More connections to nature, more adventures, more dogs, more PAM.
Angie
Jul 31, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
Dear Ms. Houston,

Thank you for writing these essays. They made me think. They opened my eyes. They healed my soul. They filled my summer mornings.

I appreciate the way you acknowledge your weaknesses, see that you are making steady progress, and find time to describe just how beautiful this world really is. This process helps others find the way, too. I suppose that is one reason to write, no?

I cried, laughed and shook my head in total understanding while reading this collection. And I feel I a
Gea
May 03, 2015 Gea rated it really liked it
This is wonderful!
Pat Edwards
Mar 15, 2015 Pat Edwards rated it it was amazing
I would love to meet this woman. I want her to stay in my guest room and I'll make her breakfast and she can tell me stories over a long weekend.
The Morality of Fat should be required reading for EVERYONE.
Michelle
Apr 22, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Sat down this evening and read most of it in one sitting. I read in the bath and the bath cooled down as I read. I got water-logged and there are little drips of water-damage on my copy now.

I think the pieces I loved most were either dog or man-centric. I now want to visit Bhutan even though I'm not a big fan of travel writing.

Houston's factual stories of her adventures are sometimes bare of anything emotional. She talks around her emotions, she doesn't like to go the
Nancy
Jan 13, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
n Pam Houston's can't-put-down collection of essays, A Little More About Me, she describes her globe-trotting adventures spanning five continents with candor and humor, but it's the emotional journey that hits home. We travel vicariously as Houston treks through the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan or dozes while a pride of lions passes her Botswana campsite, but we're right there with her when she talks about her anger-filled childhood, her lifelong obsession with weight, and of course, a penchant f ...more
Heather
Sep 11, 2009 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I was actually really disappointed with this book, and that says a lot coming from someone who rarely meets a book she doesnt enjoy in some way.

A) The author seems proud of taking chances no one should take, and mentions several times that search and rescue teams have been called out for her on her hiking and climbing exploits. First of all, S&R doesn't even respond until someone has been missing for at least 24 hours, so if the author planned so poorly as to be out past that deadline, being
Mariah Burton Nelson
Jul 14, 2013 Mariah Burton Nelson rated it really liked it
"I remember these as some of the best and most intensely honest moments of my childhood: someone taking me seriously enough to try to teach me something real..." (Lovely story about an adult who administers an outdoor "Bravery Test.")

"Writing sanctifies the best times and makes the darkest times possible to bear."

From a hiking guide named Karma in Bhutan: "We take our time here. It takes time to appreciate what we have."

And...

"There is no way to be famous in Bhutan. I think that makes it easie
Nancy
Jun 08, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
I am a fan of Pam Houston, in particular her first short story collection, Cowboys Are My Weakness. However, a series of essays about the adventures of a very outdoorsy woman read by a very indoorsy woman can only lead to trouble. In much the same way that a story that opens on a spaceship makes my eyes glaze over, a tale that begins on a white water rafting trip is a real slog for me. I definitely preferred the essays that lacked this adventurous component, but I am sure I am in the minority in ...more
Susan Imhoff Bird
Oct 03, 2015 Susan Imhoff Bird rated it it was amazing
I am always eager to read a little more about pam houston. not only do we share some history (I, too, received a "most improved" award, as a teenager, from my tennis team, and I, too, lived in pre-boom park city), we share the overwhelmingly difficult task of being human. her stories resonate, chill, inspire, and make me weep. everything pam writes is worth reading.
Meghan Hunt
Oct 20, 2013 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I really enjoyed this book. I was initially drawn to Houston's writing because of her connection to Utah. I loved reading her descriptions of places I know and love. I also appreciate her love of animals. I read her essays about her dogs multiple times. I didn't know what an adventurer she is. I did a lot of armchair traveling with this book. I'm not nearly the adrenaline junky she is, but her wanderlust is contagious. Her vanity and competitiveness would have bothered me if she hadn't been so s ...more
Erin
May 03, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
It's much easier to connect to a book about traveling, while considering ideas of "home, while you are traveling and considering ideas of "home". But Pam Houston, as always, delivers strong.

One part, in which Houston recalls how the Bhutanese measure time as "some" and never in specific hours or days, reminded me so vividly of life in small town Spain: "...I thought of something he'd said days ago, that enlightenment is a firefly, not a flashlight, and I took a deep breath and vowed to enjoy eve
Michelle
Feb 15, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was drawn in by the introductory essay to this book, which is brilliant and struck very close to home for me. However, I didn't feel its themes were accurately played out throughout the book. It felt more like a conclusion than an introduction. This woman has had a very interesting life and we've been to some of the same places, so that's fun. Overall, the writing quality was fine, some essays were more interesting to me than others, but it didn't stand out as one of my favorite books.
Robin Ernst
Mar 14, 2016 Robin Ernst rated it it was amazing
Pam Houston is one of my favorite authors of all times and this book did not disappoint. It's a collection of her articles and short stories and I truly enjoyed them all. I find myself climbing a mountain, going on a river rafting trip or mourning the loss of a beloved pet right beside Pam. If you enjoyed "Cowboys are my Weakness" you will love this book. It's a quick read and you can always go back and read your favorite stories again and again.
Jackie
Aug 31, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it
This collection of short stories was compelling for the adventure it brings to us boring surbanites - a world of non-sensical quests in exotic locales. I gave it three stars because I just don't think Pam has a way with words like a really good author should. Houston is blunt and adventurous, which is just barely enough, in my view to forgive a mediocre writing talent. Sorry.
N.T.
Jan 19, 2008 N.T. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers, hunters, those seeking to find their way
I really loved these stories, with metaphors deep and wide in these tales of nature, animal, human, all interacting and bringing life vividly to each page

I got this from the library and unfortunately someone actually tore out the last chapters so I need to get another copy.

Strongly recommend the Park City Dogs tale...

Julie
Mar 05, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, travel, essays
It's settled, then: I would read anything by Pam Houston. Her writing style is straightforward, her stories are honest and moving, and she knows how to build an essay. This world-traveling writer is on my top 10 list of "People I'd Love to Have Over for Dinner" and she's welcome anytime.
Lauren
Jun 06, 2007 Lauren rated it liked it
More short stories from Pam Houston about adventuring and men. Unfortunately many of these rehash scenarios from in a non-fiction way, which a) retrospectively ruined some of the magic of WtC for me and b) was annoyingly repetitive. But they're still good reads!
Ashleeneva
Jun 22, 2010 Ashleeneva rated it really liked it
Pam Houston is awesome. She has worked in the travel / outdoor industry long enough to tell some pretty outragous tales of wayward customers and oudoor escapades. She is also adept at describing her relationships in a way that isn't ooey-gooey, unlike many autobiographies.
Whitney Hall
Jan 08, 2014 Whitney Hall rated it liked it
Shelves:
She writes well, but honestly sometimes she's so focused on her self that It can be off putting.
Claire
Jun 19, 2009 Claire rated it it was ok
I really liked some of these essays, but I think the book suffered because it's a collection of mostly magazine pieces, which are somewhat redundant, and often with the same ultimate message -- that Pam Houston needs to get over her addiction to danger, etc etc.
Molly
Jun 25, 2007 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written in a fairly straight forward fashion. I was more interested in the landscape of her life--the hikes, the white water rafting, the camping in severe temperatures--than her life, the more mundane details, but did enjoy it for the most part.
Erin
Dec 25, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Delightful combination of life stories that capture the essence of finding oneself, battling always wanting more, and love of the outdoors and the associated physical challenges of that love. "Enlightenment is a firefly, not a flashlight."
Jan 14, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I first read this book years ago and re-read it periodically. Equal parts memoir, adventure and nature writing. Not mention she makes me laugh out loud (hard to do; a smile is easy to get, but to laugh out loud is another story).
Doña
Jun 09, 2008 Doña rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this writer. Clean and straightforward writing, and she doesn't dodge the hard stuff. And she's funny, too. I read this as part of a memoir kick, and found it read with the flow of good fiction.
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • Drunken Angel: A Memoir
  • Kite Strings of the Southern Cross: A Woman's Travel Odyssey
  • Nigella Lawson: A Biography
  • The End of Eve
  • Dark Waters (The Expedition, #1)
  • Andrea's Voice: Silenced by Bulimia: Her Story and Her Mother's Journey Through Grief Toward Understanding
  • Reading, Writing, and Leaving Home: Life on the Page
  • Literary Occasions: Essays
  • A Match to the Heart: One Woman's Story of Being Struck By Lightning
  • Keeping Secrets
  • Only in Spain: A Foot-Stomping, Firecracker of a Memoir about Food, Flamenco, and Falling in Love
  • Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln
  • Dancing in the Fountain: How to Enjoy Living Abroad
  • Jokes My Father Never Taught Me: Life, Love, and Loss with Richard Pryor
  • The Blind Masseuse: A Traveler's Memoir from Costa Rica to Cambodia
  • The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow: A Mirror Odyssey from North Wales to the Black Sea
  • The Heart of the Antarctic: The Farthest South Expedition 1907-1909
Houston is the Director of Creative Writing at U.C. Davis. Her stories have been selected for the Best American Short Stories, the O. Henry Awards, the Pushcart Prize, and the Best American Short Stories of the Century. She lives in Colorado at 9,000 feet above sea level near the headwaters of the Rio Grande.
More about Pam Houston...