Start by marking “The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus” as Want to Read:
The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus

The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In The End of Religion, Bruxy Cavey shares that relationship has no room for religion. Believers and seekers alike will discover anew the wondrous promise found in our savior. And Christ's eternal call to walk in love and freedom will resonate with readers of all ages and denominations.
Published February 27th 2014 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Religion

Bart Breen
Bruxy Cavey has provided a powerful book in the Spirituality vs. Religion Discussion that is going on in the wake of a decline in church attendance in the US and Canada (the author is Canadian). In order to provide some context to this review it's helpful to know the context in which the book was written by the author as well as the perspective of the reviewer.

Bruxy Cavey is a pastor of sorts in a non-traditional fellowship located near Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The church he is involved with p
David
Bruxy Cavey definitely has some good things to say and throughout this book I found a number of good insights. I think this book would best be for someone who has been burned by religion, especially Christianity. He does a good job of basically summing up Jesus and calling on people to focus on the major important things.

Yet I found a lot in this book that disappointed me or gave me questions. First, Cavey spends so much time taking shots at church history that it quickly got old. He dedicates a
Mark
A book that cuts through the rough history of Christianity and the organized establishments that have built up around Jesus, who, Cavey argues, actually came to break down the walls of religion. The irony is bittersweet but Cavey writes a most refreshing book that moves the focus to the teachings of Christ himself and not the establishments built up around him.
Matthew
Jul 19, 2011 Matthew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders, atheists, christians, sinners, anyone who is sick of religion
Shelves: religious
Bruxy Cavey offers us a tour de force with this engaging discussion of the subversive and scandalous nature of Jesus. It is an excellent book for anyone to read and to be challenged by our human tendency to be more in love with our rules than the reasons why we created the rules in the first place. Cavey is biblically accurate and writes so that he is easy to understand, but remains deeply challenging. You will need to have a bible or at least the internet open while reading this book. Cavey use ...more
Graham
While I certainly appreciate Cavey's fresh take on radical submission to Jesus as the ultimate foundation of Christianity, I'm not sure I I agree in full with his final assessment- that Jesus proclaims an end to religion and new way of doing spirituality.

Jesus is clearly in opposition to false religion, unprofitable superstition, and corrupt religious systems which oppress and/or exploit the masses. However, Jesus never condemns religious practice, but reorients it to himself and the Kingdom of
Jeanie
Religion has different meanings for each of us. Some good, some bad. In this read we are given a description of religion which is taken from the book-Religion uses rules to force our steps, guilt to keep us in line and rituals to remind us of our failure to live up to those rules. By this definition, people tend to refer to an established sytems of belief about ultimate reality and the institutions that maintain them. I would have to agree to a point, but is it a bad thing. It can be, however, i ...more
Audrey
Bruxy Cavey invites and challenges us to experience the subversive Jesus of the Bible. He presents a marvelous picture of what Jesus wants for us .. an intimate and personal relationship with him, glorious freedom and renewal in Christ without the pain and misery of religion.
Chelsea Robertson
one of the best book i read this year. a great fresh perspective admist all the other 'hip' and 'cool' and 'anti-establishment' perspectives which seem to be so popular right now.
Sally
This is a really excellent book if you want to discover the difference between faith and "going to church."
Carolyn Lind
I risked $2.99 when I saw this book on a shelf at Goodwill. Within its pages I found a very easy read with a challenging message; with its short chapters and suggested questions, this book would be great for a Sunday School class or small group. Cavey says, " I am not a writer. I believe in the message of this book, and the message is what drives me, rather than a love of writing." It appears that Cavey has some Anabaptist influences and he pulls together quotations and thoughts from a number of ...more
Sheila
A while back, this book was offered for a short time for free on kindle, so I downloaded a copy. Boy, am I glad I did. What a thought provoking, eye opening, fascinating book. It's hard to write a rave review about a book about Jesus, because I know there are people who will read this who do not believe in Jesus, who will poo poo this whole thing, just because it is about Jesus. But really, what a thought provoking book this is. In fact, I am so intrigued by this book, and I highlighted so many ...more
Al Pihringer
I had such high hopes from this book, hoping to be led to a spirituality free from the trappings of burdensome human traditions that have no link or lineage to Scripture. I wanted to be free to follow Jesus without hindrance or presuppositions. This book, however, was not such a catalyst.

Almost the entire book I questioned if the author was following the same Jesus I was following as given to us in Scripture. His mantra seems to be just to follow Jesus, but the question I kept asking is which Je
Sam Grottenberg
A favorite book of mine. Bruxy Cavey has a unique teaching and writing style that communicates incredible truths in an accessible way for the intellectual and the lay person alike. I appreciate his in depth research, witty sense of humour, and faithfulness to the Scriptures.

The premise of this book is the revolutionary thesis that Jesus of Nazareth came not to start the new religion of "Christianity," but rather, to ignite an end to the Old Covenant and the need for a religious system to connect
Denise
My last religious days were spent trying to find some redeeming value to faith and I stumbled across this book. If I remember correctly it was Mr. Cavey's interview on the Infidel Show that sparked my interest in his book.

While reading, one foot was hesitantly planted in Christianity, and the other held in agnostic limbo, pointed toward atheism. His ideas did give me pause and I appreciate his approach, it is certainly a kinder more liberal outlook than the Christianity I was used to. A subversi
James Winstanley
This was far too simplistic for my taste. It didn't explore anything in any great depth and wasn't overtly original in any meaningful way. There are much better books available on this topic for the aspiring theologian.
Gina Welborn
I read this one so quickly that I literally didn't underline a thing. Which is totally odd for me because I'm an underliner. I'd like to put this on my To Re-Read list for this summer, but I doubt I'll get to it.
Shannon
I wish everyone that encountered Christianity would encounter this book prior to encountering pulpits and denominations. For those of us who read Jesus in the Bible and don't gather the same meanings and attitudes as mainstream Christianity, this will be a breath of fresh air. For those who bicker over meanings of words and throw verses back and forth at each other, this would be a good challenge. For those who stopped fellowshipping with other believers intentionally, this may be a welcome back ...more
John Hately
In my first few years as a Christian, I was introduced to a book by a Canadian Pastor - Bruxy Cavey called 'The End of Religion." It started me down what might be a dangerous road, that which one doesn't need the 'religious rituals' in order to have a loving relationship with Christ. To date the jury is still out for me on religion as I have seen much corruption; however, before I write it off I need to understand whether this is but another trick of the enemy to cause division and deceit...

God
Brian
This was a really good book. Since I read so much it wasn't anything particularly new for me. There are certainly a lot of other books out there on this topic. Some of them are probably weak refutations of others, while others call for subversion of religion and transformation. Cavey's book fits into the later category. This book is easy enough to read and Cavey provides a lot of good insights. I'd recommend this to anyone.
David Robins
Makes a good case that Jesus was an anti-religious radical in his time, attempting to destroy "organized" religion (and the traditions that grew up around it) in favor of a relationship. It's also clear, although the author doesn't point it out explicitly (but comes close in substance), that one could similarly defend Jesus' views as generally anarchist (voluntary submission to God is not the coercive imposition of a ruler).
Gary Patton
Religious Christians and those who only think they follow Jesus will hate Bruxy Cavey's first book.

R-E-A-L Jesus Followers will love it.

Reading it is like basking in a fresh breeze that blows away the detrious that spews forth from too many Christian church buildings and their pulpits.

Pastor Cavey has an update in the works, coming early next year.
GaryFPatton
(2013-11-06 © gfp '42™)
Rr Ratzlaff
A real challenge to "Religion" especially of the "That's the way we've always done it" kind. Sets religion off against relationship and says that the "Relationship with our Creator through Jesus Christ our risen savior and friend by the power of the Holy Spirit is the only way to go. That is not a new belief, but dumping religion will unsettle some folks who love rules more than people.
Darnell
This book articulates a popular level version of the story of Jesus. Why was he so revolutionary in his time? Why do some of his followers believe they are called to a revolutionary love today? These questions and more are addressed in a very conversational way. If your curious about Jesus, or testing the waters of Christianity this is a must read!
Rod

Good Book, it made me think alittle. (Not alot though). I think most church-goers should read this, just for a healthy challenge.

I somehow think this book needs more. I'm not convinced its deep enough and deals with all the issues the modern church must overcome to get closer to God. But its a good first step.
Jared Newswanger
Very basic and grossly oversimplified in places, but overall I think it is a book that could really help a lot of people make sense of their experiences in dealing with the church and with God.
Kym
This book is not about the end of spirituality or the end of Jesus. Its about the end of Religiosity that keeps us from our true faith, following Jesus to the best of our ability.
Kevin Albright
Thought provoking, in a good way. What do we believe and why? Just because we believe it, is it true? This life is not about man made religion, it's about relationship with the creator.
Lam
It feels like cheating to say "read" when it's a book on tape. This one works real well & I do so love Bruxy Cavey's perspective. http://www.theendofreligion.org/Welco...
Carolyn
I find Bruxy to be a very good writer and also find his sermons at The Meeting House inspiring. Would highly recommend getting them on podcast.
Jan Morrison
I am thoroughly impressed by the ore comments on this book, both positive and not so much.
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings: Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life
  • Powerful Prayers for Troubled Times
  • done.: what most religions don't tell you about the Bible
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • Godforsaken: Bad Things Happen. Is There a God Who Cares? Yes. Here's Proof.

“The Jesus of the Bible lives by a simple philosophy: If love guides our hearts, rules become redundant. Love, embraced as a guiding orientation of other-centeredness, will always lead us to do the right thing.” 1 likes
“I am one of the growing number of people whose lives have been touched by the irreligious spirituality of the rabbi from Nazareth. At the same time, I am deeply saddened and sometimes angered by the variety of ways his teaching and example have been codified, conceptualized, and institutionalized by a religion that bears his name but all too often misses his message.” 1 likes