Start by marking “The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus” as Want to Read:
The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus

The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus

In The End of Religion, Bruxy Cavey shares that relationship has no room for religion. Believers and seekers alike will discover anew the wondrous promise found in our savior. And Christ's eternal call to walk in love and freedom will resonate with readers of all ages and denominations.
Published February 27th 2014 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The End of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Religion

Bart Breen
Mar 09, 2012 Bart Breen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bruxy Cavey has provided a powerful book in the Spirituality vs. Religion Discussion that is going on in the wake of a decline in church attendance in the US and Canada (the author is Canadian). In order to provide some context to this review it's helpful to know the context in which the book was written by the author as well as the perspective of the reviewer.

Bruxy Cavey is a pastor of sorts in a non-traditional fellowship located near Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The church he is involved with p
David
Bruxy Cavey definitely has some good things to say and throughout this book I found a number of good insights. I think this book would best be for someone who has been burned by religion, especially Christianity. He does a good job of basically summing up Jesus and calling on people to focus on the major important things.

Yet I found a lot in this book that disappointed me or gave me questions. First, Cavey spends so much time taking shots at church history that it quickly got old. He dedicates a
Mark
Dec 27, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
A book that cuts through the rough history of Christianity and the organized establishments that have built up around Jesus, who, Cavey argues, actually came to break down the walls of religion. The irony is bittersweet but Cavey writes a most refreshing book that moves the focus to the teachings of Christ himself and not the establishments built up around him.
Sep 19, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I can't say enough good about this book. If you've ever been fed up with the church, or gotten into silly theological debates, read it! It has completely opened my mind to what Jesus really came to do, and I can't believe I've been so clouded in my brain until now.
Jeanie
Mar 22, 2013 Jeanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Religion has different meanings for each of us. Some good, some bad. In this read we are given a description of religion which is taken from the book-Religion uses rules to force our steps, guilt to keep us in line and rituals to remind us of our failure to live up to those rules. By this definition, people tend to refer to an established sytems of belief about ultimate reality and the institutions that maintain them. I would have to agree to a point, but is it a bad thing. It can be, however, i ...more
Graham
Apr 26, 2013 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I certainly appreciate Cavey's fresh take on radical submission to Jesus as the ultimate foundation of Christianity, I'm not sure I I agree in full with his final assessment- that Jesus proclaims an end to religion and new way of doing spirituality.

Jesus is clearly in opposition to false religion, unprofitable superstition, and corrupt religious systems which oppress and/or exploit the masses. However, Jesus never condemns religious practice, but reorients it to himself and the Kingdom of
Heather
I debated between giving 3 or 4 stars. I chose 3. While there are some great points made, he seems to really put down or judge a lot of people who do things differently than he does. yes I hate religion and the rules and I agree with his points made against it. But he almost seems to have something against Christians in general. like other churches not like his are based on religion and not Jesus. That Christians in general follow religion vs Jesus. I don't agree with that. While I do agree that ...more
Matthew
Jul 16, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: leaders, atheists, christians, sinners, anyone who is sick of religion
Shelves: religious
Bruxy Cavey offers us a tour de force with this engaging discussion of the subversive and scandalous nature of Jesus. It is an excellent book for anyone to read and to be challenged by our human tendency to be more in love with our rules than the reasons why we created the rules in the first place. Cavey is biblically accurate and writes so that he is easy to understand, but remains deeply challenging. You will need to have a bible or at least the internet open while reading this book. Cavey use ...more
Rod
Mar 30, 2011 Rod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity

Good Book, it made me think alittle. (Not alot though). I think most church-goers should read this, just for a healthy challenge.

I somehow think this book needs more. I'm not convinced its deep enough and deals with all the issues the modern church must overcome to get closer to God. But its a good first step.
Audrey
Oct 17, 2010 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bruxy Cavey invites and challenges us to experience the subversive Jesus of the Bible. He presents a marvelous picture of what Jesus wants for us .. an intimate and personal relationship with him, glorious freedom and renewal in Christ without the pain and misery of religion.
Chelsea Robertson
one of the best book i read this year. a great fresh perspective admist all the other 'hip' and 'cool' and 'anti-establishment' perspectives which seem to be so popular right now.
Sally
Dec 02, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really excellent book if you want to discover the difference between faith and "going to church."
Peter
Mar 14, 2016 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wrote a PhD on Bruxy Cavey, and his podcasts are still enjoyable to me. His book, however, I have a harder time digesting. His appendix would be a place to start in terms of analysis, for it basically undermines the whole point of his book--that religion is evil and the cause of much of the world's political problems and wars. The appendix admits that his definition of religion is idiosyncratic, and the confusion around his terminology renders much of the rhetorical force of the book moot.

Stil
Al Pihringer
I had such high hopes from this book, hoping to be led to a spirituality free from the trappings of burdensome human traditions that have no link or lineage to Scripture. I wanted to be free to follow Jesus without hindrance or presuppositions. This book, however, was not such a catalyst.

Almost the entire book I questioned if the author was following the same Jesus I was following as given to us in Scripture. His mantra seems to be just to follow Jesus, but the question I kept asking is which Je
Carolyn Lind
I risked $2.99 when I saw this book on a shelf at Goodwill. Within its pages I found a very easy read with a challenging message; with its short chapters and suggested questions, this book would be great for a Sunday School class or small group. Cavey says, " I am not a writer. I believe in the message of this book, and the message is what drives me, rather than a love of writing." It appears that Cavey has some Anabaptist influences and he pulls together quotations and thoughts from a number of ...more
Sheila
A while back, this book was offered for a short time for free on kindle, so I downloaded a copy. Boy, am I glad I did. What a thought provoking, eye opening, fascinating book. It's hard to write a rave review about a book about Jesus, because I know there are people who will read this who do not believe in Jesus, who will poo poo this whole thing, just because it is about Jesus. But really, what a thought provoking book this is. In fact, I am so intrigued by this book, and I highlighted so many ...more
Samuel
Oct 18, 2012 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A favorite book of mine. Bruxy Cavey has a unique teaching and writing style that communicates incredible truths in an accessible way for the intellectual and the lay person alike. I appreciate his in depth research, witty sense of humour, and faithfulness to the Scriptures.

The premise of this book is the revolutionary thesis that Jesus of Nazareth came not to start the new religion of "Christianity," but rather, to ignite an end to the Old Covenant and the need for a religious system to connect
Dave Donahoe
Feb 05, 2017 Dave Donahoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A book about religion that begins with a Monty Python quote & references the Evil Dead. Oh, you Canadians! This a fantastic, quick read describing how religion has interfered with man's relationship with God. It begins with Jesus' attempts to subvert religious doctrines and teach people that they do not necessarily need religion to have a relationship with God. He describes how organized religion has lost sight of the teachings of Jesus and is more concerned with the survival of itself. Jesu ...more
Denise
My last religious days were spent trying to find some redeeming value to faith and I stumbled across this book. If I remember correctly it was Mr. Cavey's interview on the Infidel Show that sparked my interest in his book.

While reading, one foot was hesitantly planted in Christianity, and the other held in agnostic limbo, pointed toward atheism. His ideas did give me pause and I appreciate his approach, it is certainly a kinder more liberal outlook than the Christianity I was used to. A subversi
Greg Dill
Sep 18, 2015 Greg Dill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is clearly written for seekers, non-believers, and those who are disenfranchised with institutionalized religion. But, there is a caveat. It is also written for Christians who have institutionalized their brand of Christianity. Who have relinquished their faith to the status quo rather than the radical counter-cultural teachings of Jesus Christ. For those who have made a life in Christ... a religion.

Cavey gets right to the point and gouges at the very core of what is wrong with Christ
Shannon
Aug 28, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish everyone that encountered Christianity would encounter this book prior to encountering pulpits and denominations. For those of us who read Jesus in the Bible and don't gather the same meanings and attitudes as mainstream Christianity, this will be a breath of fresh air. For those who bicker over meanings of words and throw verses back and forth at each other, this would be a good challenge. For those who stopped fellowshipping with other believers intentionally, this may be a welcome back ...more
John Hately
Dec 30, 2012 John Hately rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my first few years as a Christian, I was introduced to a book by a Canadian Pastor - Bruxy Cavey called 'The End of Religion." It started me down what might be a dangerous road, that which one doesn't need the 'religious rituals' in order to have a loving relationship with Christ. To date the jury is still out for me on religion as I have seen much corruption; however, before I write it off I need to understand whether this is but another trick of the enemy to cause division and deceit...

God
Jasmine
Jan 25, 2016 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruxy provides some good insights and while I enjoyed this book I did find theoretical parts to drag on a little. I pulled a lot from sections that inspired me, including a part that I will quote: "when sinful, broken, hurting people are pleasantly surprised at how accepting we are, and religious people are outraged at how accepting we are there is a good chance we're starting to live like Jesus."
I love that. I highly encourage all skeptics to have a read.
Gary Patton
Religious Christians and those who only think they follow Jesus will hate Bruxy Cavey's first book.

R-E-A-L Jesus Followers will love it.

Reading it is like basking in a fresh breeze that blows away the detrious that spews forth from too many Christian church buildings and their pulpits.

Pastor Cavey has an update in the works, coming early next year.
GaryFPatton
(2013-11-06 © gfp '42™)
David Robins
Makes a good case that Jesus was an anti-religious radical in his time, attempting to destroy "organized" religion (and the traditions that grew up around it) in favor of a relationship. It's also clear, although the author doesn't point it out explicitly (but comes close in substance), that one could similarly defend Jesus' views as generally anarchist (voluntary submission to God is not the coercive imposition of a ruler).
Kevin Mackey
Feb 07, 2015 Kevin Mackey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended reading for anyone who grew up in an American Evangelical Christian church.
Author Bruxy Cavey paints a picture of Jesus that is irreligious, dynamic, subversive and "unsafe", while focused on love, diversity and unity.
The world would be a better place if all Christian churches heeded Bruxy's advice but, "Few things take more courage and humility than to rethink one's own worldview." - so it's gonna take some time.
Darnell
This book articulates a popular level version of the story of Jesus. Why was he so revolutionary in his time? Why do some of his followers believe they are called to a revolutionary love today? These questions and more are addressed in a very conversational way. If your curious about Jesus, or testing the waters of Christianity this is a must read!
Marshall A Lewis
Bruxy does a great job of spelling out the irreligious or even anti-religious attitude of the New Testament and explains some of the cultural context surrounding some of Jesus' most commonly-known moments which points to his counter-cultural message, reaching beyond the rules and rituals to the core of God's demonstrated instructions to us: Love.
Ron Harrison
Jul 04, 2016 Ron Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book with a clear and consistent message: give up religious practice as a means of gaining favor with Jesus for the sake of experiencing the faith. The author is a little ambiguous when using the Biblical word for "law," as to the exact meaning encountered from context to context, but within the scope of the book's discussion, the message remains clear.
Rr Ratzlaff
Aug 25, 2010 Rr Ratzlaff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real challenge to "Religion" especially of the "That's the way we've always done it" kind. Sets religion off against relationship and says that the "Relationship with our Creator through Jesus Christ our risen savior and friend by the power of the Holy Spirit is the only way to go. That is not a new belief, but dumping religion will unsettle some folks who love rules more than people.
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
  • A Cry for Justice
  • From the Garden to the City: The Redeeming and Corrupting Power of Technology
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours (The Story)
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
  • Repenting of Religion: Turning from Judgment to the Love of God
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings:  Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the unlikely people who help you)
  • God Built (Joseph) - Forged By God...In The Bad And Good Of Life (Bold Man Of God, #2)
  • The Cost of Community: Jesus, St. Francis and Life in the Kingdom
  • Nothing Is Impossible with God: Reflections on Weakness, Faith, and Power
  • Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way

“The Jesus of the Bible lives by a simple philosophy: If love guides our hearts, rules become redundant. Love, embraced as a guiding orientation of other-centeredness, will always lead us to do the right thing.” 5 likes
“I am one of the growing number of people whose lives have been touched by the irreligious spirituality of the rabbi from Nazareth. At the same time, I am deeply saddened and sometimes angered by the variety of ways his teaching and example have been codified, conceptualized, and institutionalized by a religion that bears his name but all too often misses his message.” 4 likes