Start by marking “Der Mordfall Tutanchamun” as Want to Read:
Der Mordfall Tutanchamun

Der Mordfall Tutanchamun

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Tutankhamen conjurs all the fascination that people have with Egypt. Ironically very little is known about the boy king.He was born in one of the most traumatictimes in Egypts 3000 year history. The nations religion was changed to montheism, as was the nations capital city. Leading egypotologist Bob Brier brings to life the dramatic story of Tutankhamen , the " boy king " ...more
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Der Mordfall Tutanchamun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Mordfall Tutanchamun

Chris
Ah, those silly anicents, leaving great treasures buried but forgetting to mark the X on the map. Poor Tut, he should've copyrighted his own death, considering how many people seem to make money off of it. Or maybe Egypt should've.

I must have seen the documentary that Brier did that inspired his book. I know I have seen his other specials. His like Simon Schmna, interesting to listen to but something about those mannerisms.

Brier's book is quite easy to read, and while he writes for an non-Egypt
Kristin Clifford
I've read a few books about Tut, the rockstar of Egyptology. This was one of the better ones - it looks at his death from the point of forensics and makes an interesting case for murder. Better still, the books gives a great, interesting and detailed overview of the events in Egypt thousands of years before and well after Tut's death, including a good chunk on the Amarna period.
Rachel
So this is a really cool, interesting book. However, it is outdated. New research has evidence to prove that Tutankhamen was not murdered. However, it goes into great detail about his life, his wife's story-which is really interesting. So I would recommend this book for the knowledge you gain concerning his life-Just ignore the stuff about his death. :)
Barbara
Nicely written but the title is wrong. Less then 15 % actually is about the murder and who could have done it. The rest is about his life and his ancestors.
Nikki
Flicked through this again, in the same vein as I flicked through the Christiane Desroches-Noblecourt book yesterday. Reread bits of it. I believe the actual theory is discounted now, due to more high-tech scans, but it's still interesting, because it doesn't solely seek to pose the theory that Tutankhamen was murdered -- there's a lot about his life, too, and that of Akhenaten (now confirmed to be his father, I believe?).

Very exciting stuff for me, when I was younger, and still interesting when
John
Although his theories have been disproved in the past two years - the book is a great read and his material on the 18th dynasty is great.
Laura Edwards
Very interesting read. The author presents his case with care and good detail. I was saddened to learn of the probable fate which awaited Ankhesenamen, Tutankhamen's young widow.

Love these lines near the end of the book. "History is not just facts and cold stones. It consists of people motivated by fears, hopes and desires just like ours." Which is why history fascinates me so much. And Bob Brier does a good job of making history come to life.
Jacquie
I really enjoyed this book; it remains one of the best I've come across about ancient Egypt in general and the alleged 'murder' of King Tutankhamen in particular. To me he builds the most convincing case I've ever seen for 'murder' not so much with the limited--not to mention passionately disputed and constantly reinterpreted--physical evidence but by examining the social record of the people who surrounded and succeeded the boy king. The section about Amarna was facinating and really well resea ...more
Nispuk
Mar 02, 2014 Nispuk added it
Shelves: krimisammlung
T SERIE PIPER 3448 Brier Mordfall Tutanc
Lora
Lots of really interesting facts about the people, beliefs, & customs of the people around during Egypt's 18th dynasty. I now sort of understand the controversy of Tut's father Akhenaten.

The author goes off on a tangent and builds the case that Akhenaten had Marfan's Syndrome, which explains why his "portraits" are so different from the other art. And there is the murder plot....

Yeah. Good, well-written, and clear! Wish all Egyptian history was this easy to follow.
'Aussie Rick'

This book is a bit off my normal reading taste but I found it to be a fun and interesting account of Ancient Eygpt and the circumstances surrounding the death of Tutankhamen.

I enjoyed it a great deal and it has sparked a desire to learn & read more about this period of history. If an author can inspire his readers to search out and learn more on a subject then his book has done a good job.

Overall it was an interesting and worthwhile read, buy a copy and enjoy!
Janet
As mysterious as the subject matter within, is this book about King Tut that seemingly vanishes in and out of my life. Missing it currently is, but when available for reading, there is much to discover in it about ancient civilizations, and historic Egyptian Royalty. With the King Tut exhibit in Dallas this past spring, the title was timely. Little did I know that time would eventually claim my copy of The Murder of Tutankhamen as I attempted to finish it off (as it were).
Eric Mccutcheon
This was an interesting book to read mostly because of the way the author sets the story. His details about the history of Egypt at the time of Tut was really thorough. The speculation and innuendo that he produces about the way Tut died, however, was really thin. I think that it took away from the strength of the book. He should stick to the history of the time. It speaks for itself.
Hannah
I liked it, not bad. Some of the stuff was pretty interesting.
Maurean
This was a wonderfully intriguing and very convincing speculation regarding the possible murder of the boy king. Brier gives a very readable account to dramatize this 3,000 year old mystery, not only of Tutankhamen, but possibly that of his child-bride Ankhesenamen, as well, along with a Hittite prince. Fascinating & entertaining - Good stuff!
Jessica
I found this book trying to find another of Bob Brier's books to read. I found it a little too populist and sensational, but it is an interesting read about one of the most celebrated figures in history. Poor Tutankhamen.
I recommend it to someone who wants a light read about Egyptian history.
Rae
The author, a paleopathologist, performs high-tech autopsies on mummies. He takes a look at King Tut's medical evidence to show that he was the victim of a political and religious crime. I don't know that he completely convinced me, but the book was interesting.
Nathaniel
Great book if you're Egyptology or antiquities at all. I learned a lot about the Pharaoh's world during the 18th dynasty. It is amazing how much can still be reconstructed about a king that was meant to be erased from history.
Jenny
The epitome of how history (especially Ancient Egyptian history) can change in an instant. Though it has now been relatively proven that Tutankhamun was most certainly not murdered, this book is an interesting read.
Very interestesting read about King Tut, even if some of his theories have been disproven. The facts were presented in a very interesting manner, for those of us who aren't Egyptologists. Learned a lot.
Jim
very informative about Egypt and quick read
makes You want to go to Egypt and see all the great Egyptian monuments/works
gave me a feeling like I was there when all the events/people were happening/living
Leslie
I traveled to Egypt in 1996 and have since been fascinated by anything to do with King Tut, the pyramids, the tombs, etc. Bob Brier is a well-known Egyptoligist yet writes non-fiction like novels.
J.A.
The murder theory was disproved by later CT scans of the king's mummy, but this is still an imaginative and compelling narrative based on the evidence available at the time. I was convinced.
Elena
I know for a fact that I have this book yet I can't find it and it's really frustrating because I bought it myself. In any case you will love it if you have a passion for all things ancient Egyptian
Ratforce
The author combines history and true crime in this exploration of the death of Tutankhamen. A list for further reading is included for fans of all things Egyptian.
Melanie
I really enjoyed this read. I have an interest in Egyptian history, and the author did a great job at writing about it without being dry or boring.
Chriss
Feb 05, 2008 Chriss rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Ancient Egyptian History
This is a good book, with lots of accurate and interesting information presented in an engaging fashion.
This is an awesome book. So much scandal and intrigue that it keeps you guessing and thinking.
Jo Schaffer
A delicious possibility- mostly fact blended with fascinating conjecture.
Sandra Azevedo
Excelente investigação ... forma de escrita.:)
  • Hatchepsut: The Female Pharaoh
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
  • Akhenaten: King of Egypt
  • The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Crack the Hieroglyph Code
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • The Mummy: A Handbook of Egyptian Funerary Archaelogy
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
Robert Brier (born December 13, 1943), also known as Mr. Mummy, is an American Egyptologist specializing in paleopathology. A Senior Research Fellow at Long Island University/LIU Post, he has researched and published on mummies and the mummification process and has appeared in many Discovery Civilization documentaries, primarily on ancient Egypt.
Born and raised in The Bronx, New York, Brier earned
More about Bob Brier...
The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350) The Secret of the Great Pyramid: How One Man's Obsession Led to the Solution of Ancient Egypt's Greatest Mystery Egyptomania: Our Three Thousand Year Obsession with the Land of the Pharaohs Egyptian Mummies: Unraveling the Secrets of an Ancient Art Ancient Egyptian Magic