Start by marking “Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion, #2)

Scorpion Betrayal (Scorpion #2)

"Kaplan has written one of the smartest, swiftest and most compelling spy novels I've read in years."

—Harlan Coben, author of Live Wire

"Wow! Scorpion Betrayal…delivers more heart-thumping twists and turns, beliefs and betrayals, than The Day of the Jackal and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold rolled into one."

—Katherine Neville, author of The Eight

A breakneck-paced interna
Published March 27th 2012 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Scorpion Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorpion Betrayal

Jacqui
Mar 11, 2012 Jacqui rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Andrew Kaplan's second thriller about the man known only as 'Scorpion', Scorpion Betrayal (Harper 2012) is a bullet train through a web of deceit. Scorpion, an American agent not affiliated with any government agency is the best of the best. He is called in to find a terrorist who's devious plan will upend not just America, but the world. What he finds as he untangles this Gordian knot of intrigue is much more. It doesn't seem that anyone anywhere in the world can be honest with him, each other, ...more
D.J. Butler
Apr 21, 2012 D.J. Butler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, espionage
The Scorpion is a deep cover American intelligence agent. He's multilingual, a martial artist, skilled with firearms and explosives and possessed of familiarity with and contacts inside intelligence agencies and criminal gangs all over Europe and the Middle East. More than his enemies and his uncomfortable allies, the person he really distrusts is his slippery and politically-motivated superior, and with every risk he takes, every deeper level of plot he uncovers, the Scorpion has to ask ...more
David
Feb 20, 2012 David rated it really liked it
(Review submitted to Suspense Magazine)
Mysterytribune
Mar 23, 2012 Mysterytribune rated it liked it
Andrew Kaplan is best known for his spy thriller novels featuring a former operative code-named Scorpion. He worked as a freelance journalist and war correspondent for the International Herald Tribune and has also served in the army. His new novel Scorpion Betrayal will be released in Mass Market Paperback edition on March 27, 2012.

A Brief Summary:

The head of Egypt's State Internal Security is brutally murdered in a Cairo cafe by a faceless killer known only as "the Palestinian." The murder beco
David Matteri
Sep 18, 2016 David Matteri rated it it was ok
I appreciate Kaplan's style of action writing, however the rest of the book fell short and I stopped reading halfway through. Perhaps if I read the first book in the series I would have a stronger emotional tie with the protagonist, but this book seems to take itself too seriously and the hero seems flat and humorless. If you like spy thrillers and have read Kaplan's work before, then you will enjoy this book. I may try reading Kaplan's other works, but this one didn't satisfy as much as I had ...more
Michael Griswold
Aug 02, 2013 Michael Griswold rated it liked it
Andrew Kaplan's "Scorpion Betrayal" combines all the elements of an old school detective story with terrorism and espionage to create a fast paced adrenaline laced thrill ride. The two main characters, the Scorpion and The Palestinian are both shadowy figures on separate missions that are bound to collide. The Palestinian-a terrorist hell bent on global destruction, the Scorpion-a mysterious agent who is loosely tied to the CIA.

Kaplan keeps the reader guessing as the line between good and evil b
Phil Sutton
Nov 10, 2012 Phil Sutton rated it it was amazing
I have just sat down and read through all 3 of the Scorpion books and they are all excellent stories created by a true master of this genre. It is a benefit to start with his first book in the series "Scorpion" but definitely not necessary. Each book creates an intricate story of plots and sub plots and has the reader guessing to the end.
Scorpion Betrayal is one of the best books I have read of this genre and I have nearly 1000 signed books of the adventure, thriller and CIA action spy genre. It
Vicki
Mar 16, 2015 Vicki rated it it was ok
I checked this book out from the library because it had gotten some decent reviews, but I just couldn't get into it. While I hate to give up on a book, I only read about a third of this one. Apparently Scorpion Betrayal is part of a series, and much of the time I felt like I was missing out on some character insight and/or background. The book jumped around from one scene to another without proper segues, and felt disjointed. It takes a skilled writer to write action scenes that are vivid, excit ...more
Tom Tischler
Dec 09, 2012 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it
Egypt's Head of Internal State Security is brutally murdered
in a Cairo cafe by a faceless killer known only as the
Palestinian. It is move one in a chilling game of terror that
catches the International Intelligence Community off guard.
The CIA turns to the only man they believe can get to the
bottom of this. He is code named The Scorpion. The mastermind
is leading The Scorpion from the Middle East to the capitols
of Europe. The fate of the free world is in the hands of two
well matched adversaries
Warren Thoms
Mar 17, 2016 Warren Thoms rated it liked it
It was a good story with twists and turns but I found it a hard read. I am not sure if it was the writing style or I just was not in much of a reading mood the past few days. Kaplan has two more books in this series but I am not sure if I will continue with it. I am going to take some time and then try the third book and see how it goes. I wish there had been a little more about Scorpion, background and different other things that would have made me feel more for him.
Peter
May 22, 2012 Peter rated it it was ok
SPY THRILLER! IN MY OPINION THIS IS A BOOK THAT MAY APEAL TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF READER AND SORRY TO SAY I AM NOT ONE OF THEM. WHILE THE PLOT SEEMS TO BE GOOD THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS THAT HAPPEN YOU NEED A SCORE CARD. THE CHARACTERS TO WHICH I GIVE THE MOST IMPORTANCE ARE AGAIN IN MY OPINION NOT WELL WRITTEN. LIKE I SAID BEFORE THIS BOOK WILL APEAL TO A CERTAIN TYPE OF READER BUT FOR THE REST OF US I CANNOT RECCOMEND THIS BOOK.
Jeffery
Jul 09, 2012 Jeffery rated it really liked it
Lot's of 'inside baseball' of the spy game in this one. Kaplan inserts too many foreign phrases into the dialog, which he doesn't always translate and which begins to tire the reader.

All in all, not bad, but I haven't read the other book(s) in the series and I found myself somewhat lost at times.

Kaplan surely knows what he's talking about and the plot was very good.
Susan
Jul 29, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it

A bit tough going at first. Also agree with some reviewers that the continual use of foreign languages is quite distracting -- although this diminishes significantly as the book goes on. The story is complex, the feeling is real, and the end is a huge surprise. And very scary since highly plausible. An excellent and very current plot, with movie written all over it.
Ed
Aug 26, 2013 Ed rated it did not like it
Shelves: spies
One-dimensional characters, overly-complex confusing plot, repetitive writing. Gave up because I didn't care about the characters or about learning how it was going to end. Life's too short to waste on this kind of book.
Jenn Hutchinson
Feb 05, 2013 Jenn Hutchinson rated it liked it
Scorpion was a little too undercover for me. Had a hard time understanding where the hell he was and why the hell he was there in the first place. But he did seem to know what he was doing and he certainly got his spy business done.
Carole
May 18, 2012 Carole rated it did not like it

There were so many Arabic and Dutch words that it threw off my concentration. Also he had to explain the moves he used in fight scenes as if it was a text book. The story line was good, but I was distracted much of the time.
Indigoaalane
Natuke liiga palju organisatsioone, tegelasi ja liine. Mul kulus aega, et kõik meelde jääks ja mingi loogika tekiks.
Aga muidu tore põnevik.

Hea ka teada, et 2012 on ameeriklase jaoks Eesti endiselt Venemaa...:(
Julia
Jul 14, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
Rosemary Dreyer
Oct 15, 2015 Rosemary Dreyer rated it liked it
3.5 Stars: This is the second book in the Scorpion books. I found it more choppy, with leaps in action, and harder to follow. While I like this character and the fast paced action, I don't think this book was as well crafted as the previous one.
Adrian Bello
Apr 09, 2015 Adrian Bello rated it liked it
pretty good story but not very well written. plus the super hero spook/agent thing is getting boring
Gina
May 04, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, issues, adventure
This is a good book for fans of The Bourne Identity series. It has lots of action and twists to the plot, all in exotic settings.
Mikaela St-Pierre
Mar 03, 2012 Mikaela St-Pierre rated it liked it
It's exciting, it's brilliant, and the action never stops. Andrew Kaplan knows how to keep his readers on their toes.
Pickleman
Jul 12, 2016 Pickleman rated it liked it
Really hard to get through unless you're a linguist and really know Arabic, German, Farsi, Franch,etc. Story is pretty good however.
Williad
Sep 23, 2013 Williad rated it really liked it
Normally I read historical crime fiction, but I found this a very exciting read with insight into the world of espionage, will definitely be reading the sequel
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2014
anita. hendrix
anita. hendrix rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Debbie Dowdy
Debbie Dowdy rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Sarah Perez
Sarah Perez rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Charles Thibos
Charles Thibos rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • Messiah (Apotheosis, #3)
  • Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions
  • The Dropper
  • After Hours: Tales from Ur-Bar
  • Novels & Stories 1950-62: Player Piano/The Sirens of Titan/Mother Night/Stories
  • The Masada Protocol
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • Topgun Days: Dogfighting, Cheating Death, and Hollywood Glory as One of America's Best Fighter Jocks
  • V-S Day: A Novel of Alternate History
  • Lord Tyger
  • Quiller
  • The Scroll
  • A Song for My Mother
  • The Flamekeepers
  • The Cloud (Nat Idle #3)
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)
  • Immortal Champion (Immortal Brotherhood, #3)
Andrew Kaplan is the author of two spy thriller book series: SCORPION and HOMELAND, as well as three earlier novels, DRAGONFIRE, HOUR OF THE ASSASSINS, and WAR OF THE RAVEN, which was selected by the American Library Association as one of the 100 best books ever written about World War II. A former freelance journalist and war correspondent, he covered events around the world and served in both ...more
More about Andrew Kaplan...

Scorpion (4 books)
  • Scorpion (Scorpion, #1)
  • Scorpion Winter (Scorpion, #3)
  • Scorpion Deception (Scorpion, #4)