The Curse of the Pharaohs : My Adventures with Mummies (Bccb Blue Ribbon Nonfiction Book Award (Awards)) (Bccb Blue Ribbon Nonfiction Book Award (Awards))

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Hardcover: 160 pages Publisher: National Geographic (May 1, 2004) ISBN: 079226665X Product Dimensions: 10.9 x 9.6 x 0.6 inches All Ages ""Why do [people] want to believe that the ancient Egyptians wish to reach out over thousands of years an"
Published May 1st 2004 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Pharaohs , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Pharaohs

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
He writes the way he talks-- I could hear his voice in my mind as I read. Zahi-- my hero! Now there's a guy who's as passionate about his career as I am. I would LOVE to meet him some day.
Tayler Morrell
I read this for my non-fiction requirement. It is about Hawass's adventures in Egypt. He is one of the heads of Archeology in Egypt overseeing the pyramids. He mentions the idea of a curse of the pharoahs, but dispells it because he doesn't believe in it.

This is a very interesting read, published by the National Geographic. Hawass has a wonderful, engaging voice. I actually enjoyed reading this far more than I did "Shipwreck."

Numerous pictures were included of different artifacts and archeologi...more
Mariam Magdy
Really exciting read !
Becky
Great booktalk (Susan's recommendation) during our "Egypt season" in Columbus. Written by a guy who really went into the tombs, and gives some compelling evidence for why he believes in "the mummy's curse." Show the double-spread photo of the decomposed mummy of Ramses II and mention that when he was removed from the tomb and placed in the sun, his crossed arms slowly separated and rose. Creeeeeeeepy!
Lori
Zahi Hawass seems not only well-connected to those associated with his field, thus having a unique ability to share details about this area and of his field of expertise, but he also has a true passion for history and his books are truly fascinating to learn from! There is a good amount of detail for young readers interested in the subject here, without being too 'scary'.
Stephen
Dr. Hawass is an interesting individual. This book not only tells some of the different curse stories, but gives his personal perspective on curses and the ancient Egyptians. He also shares many stories of his own experiences with the curses. This book will keep any Egyptology afficionado enthralled from start to finish.
Nikki
The photos in this book are gorgeous and also let you see a different side of archaeology. I've always been in awe of Hawass' career and passion and they both come through in this book. I wish I could have read this as a child.
Sue
Extremely disappointed--and immediately turned-off--with the author's derogatory comment on page 7 deriding the aliens or Atlantis. This man is arrogant and ignorant.
Jessica Hanley
This book featured an interesting viewpoint from a current explorer of Ancient Egypt. The full color photographs are amazing.
Debrarian
Oct 25, 2010 Debrarian added it
Shelves: history-ish
Good photos. Incredibly conceited sounding man, text full of endless unnecessary references to himself.
Rose
Nov 24, 2008 Rose added it
932 Haw
Klaudiusz Kossakowski
Klaudiusz Kossakowski marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jessica Chan
Jessica Chan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Tiarathompson
Tiarathompson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Beatris Veras
Beatris Veras marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Simran
Simran marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Deborah Ramos
Deborah Ramos marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Hala
Hala marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Alizaheer Ali
Alizaheer Ali marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Poohb
Poohb added it
Jan 07, 2014
Sri
Sri added it
Dec 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic Mountains of the Pharaohs: The Untold Story of the Pyramid Builders Valley of the Golden Mummies Cleopatra: The Search for the Last Queen of Egypt Silent Images: Women in Pharaonic Egypt