Start by marking “The Sword of the Land (Rilsin Sae Becha #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword of the Land (Rilsin Sae Becha #1)

The Sword of the Land (Rilsin Sae Becha #1)

An epic romantic fantasy debut.

Rilsin was fated to rule the land of Saeditin-until a bloody coup killed her family around her, and she was drafted into service to the new queen, her own cousin. Now, Rilsin must choose between a long-awaited peace-and a betrayal that could ruin the very kingdom she pledged to protect...
Published February 25th 2003 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of the Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword of the Land

Heidi
Jul 16, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy/Adventure fanatics
This is one of my ultimate favorite books. It truly is a complex story about a young woman who fights against her cousin and her family for her true throne. The characters are completely different, and not what they seem at first, so it always keeps you on your toes, and truly fits the "appearances are not what they seem" approach.
Deirdre
Jun 09, 2009 Deirdre rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Princess Rilsin Sae Becha has to fight to survive when her family is wiped out. Her family is inextricably linked to the land and when she grows up she finds herself having to choose between promises and try to do the right thing for both herself and the land.

It's a pretty common story but well done here.
Anna
Apr 05, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
I got this book for the first time in April 2004 but for some reason didn't read all of it. I got it again this week and read it almost in one sitting. I couldn't get into it the first time but I'm glad I picked it up again. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.
Ashleigh Cutler
Jan 13, 2016 Ashleigh Cutler rated it liked it
I enjoyed this little book, which I bought at a dollar store. It was decent in pacing. I wanted to know more of the backstory but that did not detract too much.
Velera Pate
Jul 11, 2014 Velera Pate rated it really liked it
Shelves: general
This type of book is not my usual read, but I loved it. Great detail and character development. I laughed, I cried - what more can one want from a book?
Josie
Dec 11, 2015 Josie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I actually rather enjoyed this, though I think in the hands of another author (maybe Robin Hobb - this book would've been awesome if she'd written it - and four times as long) it could have been so much better. The writing was at times too simplistic, especially at the start, and the characterisation shaky - what on earth was going on with Sifuat?! Up and down like a yo-yo! I enjoyed the matriarchal society, and the situation Rilsin found herself in, as the true heir to the throne but sworn to p ...more
Jedi Kitty
Nov 23, 2014 Jedi Kitty rated it really liked it
This was quality, and a stand alone. The heroine is much stronger than the other women and men around her, and extremely conflicted between loyalty to her usurper/savior/friend/queen and to her country. A real tough girl, I think she gives birth in a snowstorm, in a cave while leading a war campaign at one point. Epic. She has feelings for two men who both have their flaws... an artist/childhood friend, and a shallow political pawn who grows as a person. I need to reread it!
Brian
Jul 08, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
This was quite YA and generic, but it was kinda good. I read it while sick, so that helped. It feels like it was written in the 80's or earlier, in a good way. Definitely recommended for young adults that want to avoid sex and graphic violence entirely. The plot was pretty engaging and had some twists; the characters were somewhat compelling. The introduction of technology was actually quite creative for an otherwise generic fantasy world.
T J
Jan 05, 2014 T J rated it really liked it
this author is new to me and it met all my reading expectations and more. Rilsin Sae Becha is the perfect character to be in an adventure. From beginning to the very end it had suspense, intrigue and excitement.
Brittany A
Aug 05, 2010 Brittany A rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The story line was intriguing and keep me coming for more. I loved the characters development and transitions. The relationship between the cousins was what kept me going. However, I did not like the ending. But other than that,its a wonderful book to read!
QueenAmidala28
Jun 26, 2011 QueenAmidala28 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the best fantasy novels with a strong female protagonist.
Perspehone
Perspehone marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Sierra
Sierra added it
Sep 07, 2016
Ryan Conner
Ryan Conner marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
William Howe
William Howe rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Bun
Bun marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Andrea Garcia
Andrea Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Bari
Bari marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Marion Brown
Marion Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Bethanne
Bethanne rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Christi Labib
Christi Labib marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Kbrazell
Kbrazell rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2016
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
  • Lady Pain (Gil Trilogy, #3)
  • Inheritance (Keys of Power. Book 1)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • Valley of the Soul (Dubric Bryerly, #3)
  • The Angel and the Sword
  • The Moon in Hiding (The Green Lion Trilogy #2)
  • The Sea Lark's Song
  • Gratefully Yours
  • The Shadow Gate
  • Star Split
  • Girls to the Rescue: Just a Girl, #2
  • The Eye of Night
  • Nine Layers of Sky
  • The Silver Lake (Warriors of Estavia, #1)
  • The Prophecy Machine (Investments, #1)
  • Fire Angels (The Chronicles of Dion #2)
  • The Magic Mirror of the Mermaid Queen (Changeling, #2)
  • The Wizard Hunters (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #1)
Noel-Anne Brennan has spent most of her time reading fantasy and science fiction. She has been writing it since 1986 when "Winter Reckoning" was published. She was a finalist for the Romantic Times Award for "The Sword of the Land" in 2003. She has also written poetry and non-fiction. She teaches Anthropology and Gender Studies at the University of Rhode Island, and lives with her family in southe ...more
More about Noel-Anne Brennan...

Rilsin Sae Becha (2 books)
  • The Blood of the Land (Rilsin Sae Becha #2)