Start by marking “Dragon Ball, Vol. 3: The Training of Kame-Sen'nin (Dragon Ball, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Ball, Vol. 3: The Training of Kame-Sen'nin (Dragon Ball, #3)
Preview

Dragon Ball, Vol. 3: The Training of Kame-Sen'nin (Dragon Ball #3)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  1,563 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Goku visits Kame-sen'nin, the Turtle Hermit, for a course in martial arts. Goku and a second disciple, the arrogant "Shaolin Shorty" Kuririn, survive their regimen of training, but can they make it through the prelims of the world's biggest martial arts tournament?
Published March 12th 2003 by VIZ Media LLC (first published June 10th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Ball, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Ball, Vol. 3

Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 1 by Julietta SuzukiDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaPandora Hearts 13巻 by Jun MochizukiBakuman, Volume 17 by Tsugumi Ohba黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji] XIII by Yana Toboso
Manga read in 2013
61st out of 221 books — 22 voters
Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 1 by Kazuki TakahashiDragon Ball, Vol. 2 by Akira ToriyamaDragon Ball, Vol. 1 by Akira ToriyamaNaruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi KishimotoFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15 by Hiromu Arakawa
god-tier manga
64th out of 122 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
Son Goku is training with Mr Super Perv, the old Turtle Master, Kame-Sen’in, to become the ultimate fighter. A new student, Kuririn, joins them as the group trains to enter the Tenka’ichi Budokai, the “Strongest Under the Heavens” fighting contest. Also, Lunch is introduced.

Who’s Lunch? This braindead woman who changes from Jekyll to Hyde when she sneezes and is essentially a bimbo. I wonder how long it took Akira Toriyama to think up the names of these characters - Lunch?! What, it took him a
Colin
The first half was hilarious and the second half was entertaining, page-turning material. I like the direction this series is taking, this is what I originally thought Dragon Ball was going to be; fast paced martial arts action with humor in between. Kuririn and Lunch were both great additions to the cast.
Caleb Mickel
If this was the first book in the series it would have got 3 stars. But because it comes after Vol. 2, which was pretty freaking amazing, It gets the 4 star treatment. This volume reminds of a TV show. Let me explain. Your new show starts up. The season starts off kind of slow, then it builds and builds in suspense. By the time you reach the end of the season there is so much stuff going on that you can't help but hit the play next episode button, or thing about it for a FULL WEEK if you are wat ...more
Kyle
Title: Dragon Ball: Volume 3____________________________________________________________
Author: Akira Toriyama_____________________________________________________________
Story Elements
Setting Long long ago, in an alternate universe.

The main character is Son Goku and he is a young boy that struggles to understand social norms because he never had anyone with him to guide him at home

Another character is Kuririn and he is not afraid to cheat to complete his training because he just wants to “bec
Josef Hare
As much as I'm enjoying myself with this manga I don't know if I'll ever be able to give it a five star rating. It is crazily entertaining, probably because it doesn't take itself too seriously and just allows itself to be fun, but at the same time this careless attitude is what let's it down at parts. First of, the sexualisation of women in this manga is utterly horrendous and unredeemable. Rape and sexual assault is normalised and portrayed as something that men do to women casually and with n ...more
Rita
Mais uma vez, o que eu me fartei de rir! Estes personagens são uma delícia, super divertidos. O Goku com a sua ingenuidade e o Tartaruga Genial com a sua perversidade, são de ir às lágrimas.
Depois ainda há aquelas partes que uma pessoa nem acredita que está a ler, como o combate do Krillin Vs o fedorento do Bactéria.

Muito bom, sem dúvida!
Natalie
Aug 21, 2014 Natalie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone of all ages who wants to give it a try
I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this but I was definitely introduced to this series at the wrong age. Or at least the wrong time in my life where I have already read a lot of manga and watched a lot of anime.

This series was kinda of a bore for me. The plot is very simplistic and the action is very cheesy. But since this series is most people's childhood favorites I won't bash it too much.

The comedy is just a little too overdone and I wasn't sure if I should take it seriously or not.
Marcos Antunez
Great book I think that people who like fighting and adventure should read this or at least give it a chance. I really like the part when there in the tournament and they stat the preliminaries and people think someone Goku was facing just fell out of the ring and he said" No that's not what happened. Genre- Manga. Once again if you like Naruto or Avatar I think you should give this book a try.
Chris Arellano
Stewart Tame
Goku's training begins. This is starting to get into subject matter more in the line of what people who've seen Dragonball Z would expect. As always, Toriyama's drawing style is a delightful mixture of the goofy and the dramatic, a perfect complement to his writing.
Denim Datta
Funny Story. Loved it. and the expressions are really hilarious.

Mother of Expression
Dony Grayman
Tercer tomo de la edición argentina de Dragon Ball, donde da comienzo el Tenkaichi Budokai.
Mingo Johnson
Son Goku and Kuririn begin their arduous training to compete in a world class tournament.
Maria
Overall pretty good. Goku being adorable can make up for a lot. The middle with parts of the training were a little dull, but the end was better, as they neared the tournament.

I didn't like Krillin at first, but he's grown on me. I dislike Master Roshi, he's so dishonest.
Megan
review to follow
Jan
This was a bit of a letdown after the previous volume. The turtle master's training program and the subsequent martial arts tournament make for a more disciplined and formulaic narrative, one that does not play to the title's strengths. The silly fun has not completely disappeared, to be sure, but I miss that old anarchic anything-can-happen zaniness!
Wanda
Translate sudah lebih baik dari vol sebelumnya...
Federiken Masters
Mar 05, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de las peleas bestiales en general y de DragonBall en particular
Recommended to Federiken by: Obligación laboral y gusto
No sé si este tomo me pareció tan divertido por nostalgia o por mérito propio, pero la pasé tan bien leyéndolo aunque fuera obligado que se alza con unas meritorias 4 estrellitas.
Annchan Maulana
Duh duh duh Songoku, Trunks, Bezita, BuLma ... dah lama banget ga baca and nonton Dragon Ballz. Salah satu kartun jepang favoritku dulu nie, selain Sailor Moon and Doraemon ^^
Ellee
In spite of myself, I am a little curious as to what happens to the characters. I don't know that I'll actually continue with the series, but I'm tempted...
Whitelady3
Só consigo rir ao ler estes livros. xD Este retrata o treino e o início do torneio para o qual Krillin e Goku têm de se qualificar.
Amanda G.
i got this book and its awsome but you know im not going to spoiled it for no one or my friends that are reading it
Claus Maack
I love Master Roshi and the training in this one, and I looove the introduction of the tournament!
♡Susanna
Ks. arvosteluni sarjan ensimmäisestä osasta.
Linny
Oct 28, 2007 toon & ton toon191m rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dragon Ball no.3
อานแลวตินะครับ ...more
Sebastien Lemonnier
Sebastien Lemonnier marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Armin
Armin added it
Apr 26, 2015
  • The Vision of Escaflowne, Vol. 2
  • Biomega, Vol. 3 (Biomega, #3)
  • +Anima 6 (+Anima, #6)
  • Naruto, Vol. 08: Life-and-Death Battles (Naruto, #8)
  • Bleach Volume 19: The Black Moon Rising (Bleach #19)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 06
  • ワンピース [Wan Pīsu] 58 (One Piece, #58)
  • 1/2 王子 9 (1/2 Prince, #9)
  • Ranma 1/2, Volume 28
Akira Toriyama is a widely known and acclaimed Japanese manga artist known mostly for his creation of Dragon Ball in 1984. It is difficult to pin point the source of Toriyama's artwork inspiration. He admires Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy and was impressed by Walt Disney's One Hundred and One Dalmatians, which he remembers for the great art. Jackie Chan's early movies had a noticeable influence on Tori ...more
More about Akira Toriyama...

Dragon Ball (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 2: Wish Upon a Dragon (Dragon Ball, #2)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 4: Strongest Under the Heavens (Dragon Ball, #4)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 5: The Red Ribbon Army (Dragon Ball, #5)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 6: Bulma Returns! (Dragon Ball, #6)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 7: General Blue and the Pirate Treasure
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 8: Taopaipai and Master Karin (Dragon Ball, #8)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 9: Test of the All-Seeing Crone (Dragon Ball, #9)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 10: Return to the Tournament (Dragon Ball, #10)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 11: The Eyes of Tenshinhan (Dragon Ball, #11)
Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1) Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 1: A Never Before Seen Terror (Dragon Ball Z, #1) Dragon Ball, Vol. 2: Wish Upon a Dragon (Dragon Ball, #2) Dragon Ball, Vol. 5: The Red Ribbon Army (Dragon Ball, #5) Dragon Ball, Vol. 4: Strongest Under the Heavens (Dragon Ball, #4)