Start by marking “What Just Happened?: Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line” as Want to Read:
What Just Happened?: Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line

What Just Happened?: Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line

As a Hollywood film producer, Art Linson has had a hand in producing some of the most unforgettable films of the last half century--"Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Untouchables, Fight Club"--and has worked with some of America's finest actors and directors. Dubbed by the "Los Angeles Times" "a breezy anatomy of ritual humiliation," Art Linson's Hollywood memoir "What Ju ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Grove Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What Just Happened?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Just Happened?

Petra Eggs
I didn't finish this book. I was just so furious with it. The writing isn't just bad and annoying, it's absolutely appalling. I'ts like an old guy using his grandchildren's slang, a wine snob describing a vintage, a rap artist that's-what-I'm fuckin'-sayin' at the end of every phrase, know what I mean, like. Just shut up, stop trying to sound cool and tell the story.

I have no idea if the book is any good or not and I really couldn't care less. If a book can't hook me in fifty pages it's failed i
Tfitoby
Jun 27, 2012 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, film, bio
The best Hollywood biography since Julia Phillips gave us You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again

Art Linson has written a smart, funny, honest and brutal portrait of his life within the Hollywood production line. As he admits in the foreword this didn't make him Mr Popular amongst his peers.

If you've read the Julia Phillips book or any other 'tell all' tale from Hollywood you won't be surprised at the behaviour contained within this volume BUT Linson still has the ability to shock with his ca
Benjamin
Sep 22, 2008 Benjamin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in hollywood
Meh. Interesting little insider stories of Hollywood, but somehow did not hold my interest. I'm glad half the book was the screenplay, I finished that much sooner than I expected. Mostly, I just didn't like how Linson framed his stories in conversation with his "retired" exec acquaintance. Yawn.
orsodimondo
Apr 10, 2013 orsodimondo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
BITTER HOLLYWOOD TALES FROM THE FRONT LINE
Molto divertente, incredibilmente vero.
A tratti sembra di essere in pieno Catch 22.
Il nome di Linson è Art: forse se si chiamava Money avrebbe scritto un libro diverso.
Lawrence
This was a pretty good account of the inner-workings and and all-out bullshit that goes into making a big-budget hollywood movie in our current studio system. It is told from the first-person berspective of Art Linson the author. It deals with his time at Fox for five years producing such films as "The Edge" and "Fight Club". Interesting book. A very quick read. Because it is rather on the short side, they've included the screenplay for the book, which I want to see. The film stars Robert DeNiro ...more
Feb 16, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who were really into that Alec Baldwin bear movie
Shelves: read-in-2010
In the clusterfuck of Hollywood Linson describes, I can't believe any movie gets made, ever. The framing device of conversations was annoying and not effective. But if you really want the inside scoop on The Edge or Great Expectations, you're in luck.
Corien
Feb 07, 2010 Corien rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Sounded interesting (inside look into the life of a producer), but I couldn't get through it.
Harold
Jul 04, 2017 Harold rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. This was an amusing little collection of Hollywood anecdotes by producer Art Linson, but I wish that it would have covered more of his filmography. Movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Heat, and Fight Club get largely glossed over and Linson instead spends more than a third of the book detailing the forgettable Anthony Hopkins vs. Alec Baldwin vs. a bear film, The Edge.
Deyth Banger
Not fucking interested in continue reading or watching this self-centered shit. Come on, I am trying to go throw anxiety and depression and this here is very depressing... EMPTINESS... lonely image.
Michael Llewellyn
If you’ve ever wondered exactly what a Hollywood film producer does, check out this short work by Art Linson (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Heist, Heat and Into The Wild). Subtitled, “Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line,” it’s smarmy, snarky and uncompromising as it upends the biz to expose an ugly, paranoid underbelly. Using dialogue, professional data and anecdotes, Linson spins behind-the scenes tales about The Edge, Great Expectations and The Fight Club with reveals about a number of ...more
Ape
2008 bookcrossing thoughts...

I had this on my wishlist because I'd read a review about it in a paper (can't remember where now) and it had sounded kind of interesting. Well, it was kind of interesting, and that's my curiosity satisfied. Nothing I'd go mad on. The most interesting part was about the production of the film FIGHT CLUB. It's been years since I saw that. Felt like watching it again.

It's basically just a book about some anecdotes from the memories of a Hollywood producer. An eye opene
Robert
Jan 27, 2008 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this slim but highly readable volume, producer Art Linson, who has been behind such notable titles as "Melvin and Howard", "The Untouchables' and the regrettably neglected "American Hot Wax", recounts his brief tenure with 20th Century Fox, where he made 5 films, all of them considered failures. (The films were "The Edge", "Great Expectations", "Pushing Tin", "Fight Club" - which actually turned out to be profitable - and the more or less unreleased "Sunset Strip"). In the book, Linson comes ...more
Marsena Adams-Dufresne
Art Linson produced such movies as Heat, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Fight Club, and The Untouchables. The subtitle of this book is not sarcastic or funny; like many in Hollywood, he is truly bitter about the egos and work involved in getting movies made. The chapters about his experience working on specific movies were fascinating and informative, especially for someone trying to understand the movie business. But the chapters in which he wrote dialogue between himself and "Jerry" were painfu ...more
Adam
Oct 16, 2011 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Hollywood producer Art Linson recounts some of his successes and failures as a producer and how his projects came together. It's one data point on how Hollywood movies get made, and the book gives one producer's perspective on what makes a project successful. I especially enjoyed Linson's perspective on producing Fight Club, and his thoughts on working with Fox's marketing department.
Ben Galbraith
Discovered this gem while looking up the IMDB page for The Edge, one of my favorite movies. An entertaining but profanity-laden view of the movie business; there's some People Magazine-ish insights of the stars, but the author insists they are given in the context of conveying the authentic movie-producer experience. It does make it more interesting than a pseudonym-laden tome would have been... but makes it a guilty pleasure, too.
Brean
May 18, 2008 Brean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brief, inside look at the inner workings of 20th Century Fox at the end of the 20th Century through the eyes of a producer who worked for them and who put out 5 films that were largely deemed unsuccessful: The Edge, Great Expectations, Fight Club, Pushing Tin and Sunset Strip (a movie that was overshadowed by the similar Almost Famous). I really liked it and if you're interested in what goes on in the world of movie producing, you'll enjoy it.
Suzanne (suz&mark)
Im asking myself what just happened because I managed to read this entire book. There were a few insider stories about movie-making but the way he told it- as if he was recounting the stories to a ousted former hollywood exec grated on my nerves. One of my pet peeves is having to read someone's new yawk accent- like "how ya doin' " - the way the hollywood exec was portrayed- ugh
Ani
Jan 25, 2010 Ani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behind the scenes look at hollywood and production of movies like you have never seen before. Mr. Linston tells stories so masterfully, one imagines sitting in the malibu restaurant and talking to hollywood regulars with him.
Gina Reyes
Jul 23, 2008 Gina Reyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Hollywood story!!!
David
Sep 28, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More anecdotes and gossip that illustrate why so many movies are so bad today.
Steve
Aug 06, 2008 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proof that more often than not, film producers, executives, and marketers have no idea what they're doing. And they have the power to write multi-million dollar checks.
Joy
I just saw the movie version of this book. I thought De Niro was great but the movie was not. I hope the book is better...
Paul
Mar 03, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and intriguing, but a little short. Sometimes the narrative convention of the aging mogul gets in the way.
Mark Moran
Feb 08, 2012 Mark Moran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring producers, anyone interested in Hollywood gossip
Art Linson's humorous follow-up to A Pound of Flesh, this book has a new decade's worth of anecdotes and stories from the Hollywood trenches.
Matt Shelton
Dec 23, 2015 Matt Shelton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Uninteresting book but I did enjoy the story of The Edge and the producers quarrels with Alec Baldwin
Lisa
Jun 10, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Film students.
Hilarious, razor-sharp, and insider-savvy.
Angelique
Oct 27, 2008 Angelique rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-in-2008
Oh wow, so Hollywood is superficial and stupid????? I never knew!
Staci
Nov 08, 2008 Staci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read of true stories from a film producer in Hollywood. Gives insight to the craziness that goes into making a film.
Nathan Rabin
Dec 24, 2008 Nathan Rabin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wry vignettes from the tinsel town trenches
Michael Helmick
May 28, 2008 Michael Helmick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you like reading about the ins and outs of the life of a modern day movie producer than this book is for you. Its funny and reads very quickly
  • Blockbuster: How Hollywood Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Summer
  • Hello, He Lied and Other Tales from the Hollywood Trenches
  • Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade
  • The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam V. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • Bambi vs. Godzilla: On the Nature, Purpose, and Practice of the Movie Business
  • Rosebud: The Story of Orson Welles
  • Fiasco: A History of Hollywood's Iconic Flops
  • The Film Snob*s Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge
  • Street-Fighting Years: An Autobiography of the Sixties
  • The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco
  • Tales From Development Hell: The Greatest Movies Never Made?