Start by marking “The Thomas Sowell Reader” as Want to Read:
The Thomas Sowell Reader

The Thomas Sowell Reader

[Read by Robertson Dean]

This collection of writings from New York Times bestselling author Thomas Sowell is a must-have for any collection of economic, political, or cultural works.

These selections from the many writings of Thomas Sowell over a period of half a century cover social, economic, cultural, legal, educational, and political issues. The sources range from Dr.
Published (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Thomas Sowell Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thomas Sowell Reader

Fred Forbes
Jul 03, 2012 Fred Forbes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at the end of this weighty tome to find that I agree with most of what he said. Why? As an independent I tend to be a centrist in political matters and his reputation had been presented to me as a pretty hard core conservative which usually brings to mind a level of shrillness and inaccuracy that leaves me pretty cold. I tend toward being a liberal in social matters and a conservative in the fiscal arena so I was surprised that many of the social topics he discusses can be handle ...more
Kevin Farrell
Jun 15, 2012 Kevin Farrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have not read Thomas Sowell, this may be the place to start. He writes about many things, in general, but I will try to boil it down to a few descriptive words. Sowell is an economist. He is an intellectual. He is African American. He writes with precision and some warmth about economics, politics, racism, and the US government. His writing tends to be in the essay style which can take some effort for me to delve into.

He will surprise you. He firmly believes that ideas can be tested and m
Don Weidinger
Dec 29, 2012 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
words as the money of fools, rent control, 4xabuse and poverty when no marriage, foreigners not entitled, retrain responsibility, little authority to ?, pitcher Ruth fences, unions for unions, economy is trade offs vs singular govt unions and price controls and govt medical care, scarce resources with alternative uses, crime drops 89% with guns in home, bias in science welcomed, ideas have to work or not-ed govt, late term condemned by ama, geography, ed breakdowns, demonized producers subsidize ...more
Jul 29, 2015 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Actually read in October 2013. The following is a summary of notes (or review) written at the time that I am moving to my Goodreads library.

This book is a collection of articles and essays from Thomas Sowell – most of which are not academic (though a few are). I found this book very easy to read as most articles are only a few pages long and Sowell’s style is simple and entertaining. The book is organized by topic:

• Social Issues
• Economics
• Political Issues
• Legal Issues
• Race and Ethnicity
Andrea Olson
Dec 01, 2013 Andrea Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent first exposure to Thomas Sowell, covering a large variety of subjects, many of them political in nature. He has a plethora of other books worth reading that go more in depth on topics such as economics or race politics.
While it might not sit well with people who staunchly support the current political 'left', try something outside your comfort zone. People who don't identify with the 'left', unlike like many 'conservative' or 'right wing' hosts of today which dissolve into shouting
Петър Стойков
Един от любимите ми икономисти и политически автори, вече на преклонна възраст (над 80, но се държи) публикува поредната си книга, този път със събрани есета.

Томас Соуел е просто невероятен - написал е десетки книги и няма нито една слаба между тях, а от вижданията му за икономиката, политиката и обществото блика толкова здравомислие и начетеност че изпитвам физическо удоволствие като го чета.
Sep 10, 2016 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you need a bathroom reader that’s well above the average,thiswould make a great choice—most of these essays are two pages long. Each section leads off with newspaper essays; then ends with some longer essays for more depth on the topic. The longer pieces are either written for this book, or are excerpted from earlier books by the author.

These essays provide short, packed introductions to Sowell’s approach to economics, and his research into other social problems facing the United States and t
May 04, 2012 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Recommend for the newest reader to Thomas Sowell, covers his work on Economics, Race and the Political Scene. A little to much emphasis on Intellectuals and Society, but could see why considering it is a recent book that covered a lot of the same ground as his previous works. The only excerpt that didn't work for me was the section on Geography and Racial behavior.
For my money Thoms Sowell is one of the most important thinkers certainly on the Conservative side of the aisle and although he woul
Jan 14, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. A lot of short pieces on social issues politics, economics, race, education, along with personal reflections, as well as a couple of humor pieces. Sowell is extremely blunt but not inflammatory. A free market economist, he's intent at identifying incentives and looking at physical factors. His piece on the effect of geography on regional economies is fascinating, reminiscent of Jared Diamond. In this collection, I prefer the longer pieces to the shorter magazine articles. His personal ...more
Apr 16, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ordered the book because I have enjoyed Sowell's editorials. He is an economist at a time when we wonder where the economy is going. He's African American and against affirmative action. He is a professor schools should educate not entertain. He refuses to become a politician but quips in the last chapter: One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those that complain.
Nov 29, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are quiet a few good essays on here that have well supported arguments. The essay on Marx's personal history was interesting.

What stops me from really loving this book are the stereotypical right wing defenses of Ronald Reagan, the actions of police officers and parental authority. Also calling out the "Left" and "Liberals" specifically while never looking at what the Right does (in this book at least) is rather annoying.
Nov 16, 2012 Danmcgohan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! The book should have been titled "Common Sence." The book would have been worth reading for just the last chapter, Random Thoughts. This book was a collection of segments from a varitey of Sowell books. I hav eread several of his other publications and the book just made me want more.
Apr 07, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything and everything written by Dr. Sowell is worth reading. Dr. Sowell is insighful, thought provocing, and just a great read. Every US Citizen should be reading everything written by Dr. Sowell.
Jan 08, 2016 Del rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging collection of writings and articles by one of my favorite modern supporters of the ideas of classical liberalism and human freedom. A good introduction to one of the sharpest minds of our times, in my opinion.
Mar 01, 2013 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Sowell is one of the smartest and clearest thinking man in America today. I would vote for this man for president in a heartbeat. Fascinating series of essays on a wide range of subjects. I recommend ANY book this man has written.
Lucas Johnson
Jan 30, 2016 Lucas Johnson rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable. Few writers can deliver lessons so fundamental that the mind can be altered to a different state just by reading their prose. Sowell is a perfect example of the seriousness of people with a well developed sense of humor.
This collection of short essays is very enjoyable. Reading this volume is the next best thing to meeting Thomas Sowell & meeting for coffee and conversation over a year's time. :-)
Jim Hart
Jim Hart rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Sam Niemi
Sam Niemi rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Karlov rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Ron rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Wendi rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Gautham rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Leigh rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Srikanth Nalla
Srikanth Nalla rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2013
Felix Bearden
Felix Bearden rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Noah rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Michaelbaas rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Alice rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Nathaniel Rayestu
Nathaniel Rayestu rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
  • Please Stop Helping Us: How Liberals Make It Harder for Blacks to Succeed
  • The Tyranny of Clichés: How Liberals Cheat in the War of Ideas
  • The Undocumented Mark Steyn
  • Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Socialism
  • Crisis and Leviathan: Critical Episodes in the Growth of American Government
  • Blacklash: How Obama and the Left Are Driving Americans to the Government Plantation
  • Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers
  • Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America
  • The Fatal Conceit: The Errors of Socialism
  • Socialism: An Economic and Sociological Analysis
  • Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History
  • Heaven on Earth: The Rise and Fall of Socialism
  • Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass
  • The Naked Public Square: Religion and Democracy in America
  • On Democracy & Education (Social Theory, Education & Cultural Change)
  • Atlas Shrugged
Thomas Sowell is an American economist, social commentator, and author of dozens of books. He often writes from an economically laissez-faire perspective. He is currently a senior fellow of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. In 1990, he won the Francis Boyer Award, presented by the American Enterprise Institute. In 2002 he was awarded the National Humanities Medal for prolific scholars ...more
More about Thomas Sowell...

“Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it” 56 likes
“Age gives you an excuse for not being very good at things that you were not very good at when you were young.” 10 likes