Start by marking “One Island, One Ocean: The Epic Environmental Journey Around the Americas” as Want to Read:
One Island, One Ocean: The Epic Environmental Journey Around the Americas

One Island, One Ocean: The Epic Environmental Journey Around the Americas

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  10 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews

On May 31, 2009, a committed team of sailors, scientists, teachers and conservationists joined forces on a voyage that was vast in scope and ambition but launched under the simplest of ideas: The continents of North and South America are a single island, surrounded by a shared ocean, and with a common set of challenges, communities, issues, and solutions. To put it in the
Published November 15th 2011 by Weldon Owen

To ask other readers questions about One Island, One Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Island, One Ocean

S
Jun 09, 2014 S rated it really liked it
A beautiful book to look at, as well as read. I found the photographs stunning and rich, and the story of the maritime journey to be fascinating. There were several maritime traditions I had never heard of before, and I found myself looking at the map of the route taken often to feel more connection with the journey taken.

A book I would highly recommend.

I received a copy of this book to peruse through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sep 02, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
One Island, One Ocean is the narrative of the Around the America's expedition. This voyage circumnavigated the American continents to study the deterioration Ocean Health. The writing is reader-friendly, including only enough jargon to be authentic. The pictures are stunning and the findings of the expedition alarming. There are maps throughout the book which depict the route sailed by the Ocean Watch, and its location at the end of each chapter.

This is a recommended book for anyone interested i
Yvonne Stegall
Dec 02, 2011 Yvonne Stegall rated it it was amazing
There is an adventure waiting in the pages of this book. Go on a journey around the world that will amaze you and teach you. The photos are breathtaking.

I especially love the photos of the wildlife. I love the fact that this journey has been shared with all through this wonderful book.(received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads)
Ashley
Jan 28, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: naturalist
This was a very enjoyable book; as many have said and I concur the pictures are fabulous! I so enjoyed moments like when I read about whales welcoming the boat or when the equator was crossed. I learned so much about maritime traditions like initiating those who've never crossed the equator before in a boat. This was a wonderful book!
John Edward
John Edward marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Jim
Jim is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Eric Hubbard
Eric Hubbard marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Natasha Watzka
Natasha Watzka marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
John V
John V added it
Mar 04, 2014
Adria Dodici
Adria Dodici marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
James Snyder
James Snyder marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Pinky
Pinky rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Bill
Bill added it
May 22, 2013
adriana
adriana marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Stephanie Culver
Stephanie Culver marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2012
Lauren A
Lauren A rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2012
Kei
Kei marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2012
tommy
tommy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2012
Elle Thornton
Elle Thornton rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Matt Peters
Matt Peters marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2012
Amara
Amara added it
Dec 27, 2015
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Gaston
Gaston marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2011