Start by marking “Young Justice Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Young Justice Vol. 1

Young Justice Vol. 1 (Young Justice II)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Don't call them sidekicks!The Justice League needs a covert team that could operate on the sly, so who better than experienced crime fighters Robin, Kid Flash and Aqualad? Together with Superboy, recently rescued from the top-secret Project Cadmus, and the crush-worthy shape-shifting alien Miss Martian, these teens are ready to stop being sidekicks and start taking down th ...more
Published January 17th 2012 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Young Justice Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Justice Vol. 1

Missy
I was a little hesitate at first when i saw they were making a young justice. I grew up on Batman, wonder woman, superman, green arrow and all of the original comics. I was mainly a big fan of Batman and so i already was familiar with Robin and again with most of the generations of the super hero's. I was pleasantly surprised by this one and i a very good way. It was well written, not over down and i liked the idea! I can not wait to read Vol.2 and see where the writers will take the young justi ...more
Daniel
The perfect companion to the TV series.

Not only is DC's Young Justice an action-packed all-ages alternative to its less kid-friendly/continuity-heavy mainstream series, but it also provides additional back-up stories for Cartoon Network's series of the same name (currently in its second season).

This first trade reveals the origins of Robin, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Miss Martian, and Superboy (where did Superboy get all of those black t-shirts?!?). It also sheds some light on events merely hinted at
Jenny
My son and I are excited to read this together. When I told him a copy was coming in the mail, he got very excited :)

My 8 year old LOVED this book! It's a great book and i would recommend it to all comic book fans.
Nicola Mansfield
I had previously read 2 issues of the comic and greatly enjoyed them so wanted to try the series proper as I'm a Justice League junkie. The JL pops up now and then as the guardians and bosses of Young Justice but mainly they stay out of the picture. This first volume starts off with friends Aqualad, Robin and Kid Flash having just rescued (let loose) Superboy from Cadmus where he was being made as an ultimate weapon. He and Miss Martian also come along and the five teenagers form a covert team t ...more
Adam Graham
This book takes collects the first few issues of the Young Justice Comic book series (based on the Cartoon Network TV series) takes a different tact from DCAU books which essentially told one or two part comic book stories featuring the characters in the TV series. This is much more a traditional comic book where characters are given their own story and arc.

This book begins with an alternate take on the beginning of the Young Justice team. There are minor mostly but definitely different. From th
Joy
Like the cartoon to which this the companion, good, but not great. It definitely does not stand alone from the show: the comic issues take place between cartoon episodes, so much of the character development and plot progress takes place (and rightly so) off the page and on screen. It does make a nice extra, though: the tone matches, and I felt like I could hear the voice actors for each of the characters talking as I read. Possibly will improve as it goes on, or at least when Artemis shows up.
Timothy Stone
I previously reviewed the second volume of this ongoing series, and had high praise for it. This is a review of the first volume, which was somewhat weaker, but still a good read. This book begins with the first issue, which takes up right after the first episode of the series Young Justice, and goes through the timeline for the first couple of episodes, telling the story of the team's exploits during the time not presented on the show.

This is one of the strengths of this volume, in that various
Zomick's  Bakery
This is where fantasy takes a turn around, and this is why I love comics and similar books more than the movies (thank god they made a series with this material). You see, when a topic is worn out, and there is almost nothing you can make of it, you don't just keep on going, you make something new and useful, and try to use the old one with it.

The situation is simple, there have always been young superheroes, so what superpowers should they have? Hell yea, copy them from their protege... Add 1 o
Alexandra
Thanks to Goodreads.com I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads
Jade West
Teaser, there's no Artemis.
Mike
This trade collects issues #1-6 of Young Justice (the tie-in comic for the animated series, not the original comic of the same name).

I'm a big fan of the Young Justice animated series, which created it's own ground up take on the DC Universe (instead of adapting any particular established title or continuity) to create a wonderfully deep and compelling narrative. It focuses on a core group of young heroes forming a covert ops team for the Justice League, draws inspiration from everything from Te
Amy
Nov 22, 2014 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Slightly different than the television series, just as a warning. But that's not to say that this is a bad thing. I actually like the slight differences :) They don't go through the whole rescuing Superboy from Camus thing (it starts right after they break him out) but it still keeps pretty accurately to the TV show :) Great read for YJ fans!
Miss
Picked this up for a stopgap while I wait for the show to come back. Oh Nickelodeon. Why are you so opposed to the idea of people actually enjoying your products? It's like A:tLA all over again. Anyways this is a well written comic that ties in nicely with the first couple episodes of the show. I can hear the dialogue in the characters' voices, it captures their register well. Looking forward to seeing how the Superman plot plays out, its the only part of this volume I see as being potentially t ...more
Kathryn
Worth every second for this team! But I definitely missed Artemis in this volume.
Beckiezra
I'm glad this comic has original stories, not just retelling the cartoon, and they were not overly juvenile (like the Teen Titans comics). The art is pretty similar to the cartoon style. I think the coloring and such is better than I've seen in other tie-in comics over the years. The stories don't necessarily go together and I do wonder where each issue comes in relation to the episodes. Nothing really wowed me or made me have to keep reading, but I'd read more of them if the library has other g ...more
Jacob
Public library copy.

YJ is one of the best cartoons currently airing on TV and these comic book stories remain faithful to the look and feel of the show. As this collections hosts issues 1-6 I felt the latter half of the book was far less interesting and had less to say because the stories were padded with superheroes sharing their origins at a campfire. As a reader of comic books and a viewer of the YJ television show it's always a bore anytime superhero origins are explained to the Nth degree.
Travis
After my daughter got me hooked on the Teen Titans cartoon, I was willing to trust her on Young Justice.

While very different, it's an entertaining show and the comic is a good solid read.
Yes, the adult super heroes come out as jerks, but since they are all being seen from the teenagers pov, it's understandable.

Good characterizations, straightforward super hero stuff and some interesting little sub-plots make this a step up from the usual adapation/spin off comic.
Cyndy Otty
The major fault with this comic is that it really requires familiarity with the television series and as such doesn't quite stand on its own. But I'm rating it rather generously because, quite frankly, it was better than I expected it to be. Specifically, there's a deeper level of character development and backstory presented here than is present in the show, which is sorely lacks both in favor of plot.
Ponytaorponyboy
Oh! When they said that we didn't need to watch the cartoon to understand, it was true.
They also said that we didn't need to read this to understand the cartoon, it was true.
However, I found they were great, the stories intertwine extraordinarily between each other. I LOVED it.

I hear that the comics has been discontinued, is that true though?! :(
SA
Fun, fast, and colorful, much like the show it ties in with. A great introduction to comic books for the young reader. I admire how Baltazar was able to give the characters distinct voices, given that they're Earth-16 and not the primary universe; they are noticeably different from their counterparts while still having recognizable frameworks. Lots of fun.
Andrew Shafer
I want to stress first that I am reviewing this from the perspective of an adult fan of the show. I'm sure that if i were reading this as a child I would love it much more but as an adult there wasn't enough plot development through six issues to keep me interested. It didn't add much to the show universe and didn't really seem necessary.
Andrew Adams
I've been reading this issue-by-issue through Comixology and I'm pretty sure I made it through those comprising Vol. 1. The show is fantastic and I love that the comic fills in certain gaps. Greg Weisman's involvement is a definite plus. Here's hoping the show isn't cancelled!
Josh
The art and the story were a perfect match for the show. The story fit within the first several episodes of the first season (despite being on the cover, Artemis isn't in the book) picking up immediately after the pilot and filling in a few plot holes nicely.
Andy Wisely
Not as hilarious as Peter David and Todd Nauck's first Young Justice series. But with original members Robin, Kid Flash and Superboy aboard, coupled with clean artwork (as opposed to the cluttered DC New 52), there's nothing I don't like about this book.
Nikki
I really liked this. It's a little toned down (violence/content wise)from the comics I started with, but it is aimed for an audience a bit younger than the comics I usually read are aimed for.

It has great character development and the artwork is fantastic.
Marina
Really good comic. Well done story and very sharp art. The new character design for the Joker freaked me out though! I'm totally used to the 90's cartoon Joker so this design was a shock but I really like the direction this comic is taking. Definitely worth it!
Michael
I was reading this and watching the animated series and I have to say this is the best book series about these teen heroes in DC comics. This is a must for both fans of the show and fans of teen titans. This is just far better than teen titans.
Elena
I love these characters, so of course i loved this. However there were some repetition from the tv show. I also felt like it was a bit to short, I would like for them to introduce us to Artemis, seeing that she is on the cover...
Jayfri Hashim
Nice great fun to read , a lil mind compare to justice league, love the animated series too..
Until the newer part where Robin became Nightwing.Couldnt keep up.. too much young heroes.
  • Young Justice Vol. 2: Training Day
  • Teen Titans, Vol. 8: Titans of Tomorrow
  • Red Robin, Vol. 4: 7 Days of Death
  • Batman and Robin: Dark Knight vs. White Knight
  • Batman: Eye of the Beholder

Young Justice II (4 books)
  • Young Justice Vol. 2: Training Day
  • Young Justice Vol. 3: Creature Features
  • Young Justice Vol. 4: Invasion
Tiny Titans, Vol. 1: Welcome to the Treehouse Tiny Titans, Vol. 2: Adventures in Awesomeness Tiny Titans, Vol. 3: Sidekickin' It Tiny Titans, Vol. 4: The First Rule of Pet Club... Tiny Titans, Vol. 5: Field Trippin'