Start by marking “Some Do Not ... & No More Parades (Parade's End #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Some Do Not ... & No More Parades (Parade's End #1-2)

Some Do Not ... & No More Parades (Parade's End #1-2)

With his acclaimed masterpiece Parade's End, Ford Madox Ford set himself a work of immense scale and ambition: "I wanted the Novelist in fact to appear in his really proud position as historian of his own time... The 'subject' was the world as it culminated in the war." Published in four parts between 1924 and 1928, his extraordinary novel centers on Christopher Tietjens, ...more
Published by Sphere Books (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about Some Do Not ... & No More Parades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Do Not ... & No More Parades

Eddie Watkins
Sep 29, 2014 Eddie Watkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uk-fiction
Upon reading this, the first novel in Ford Madox Ford’s tetralogy Parade’s End, I realized that far too many of my vital energies are dissipated in the observation and contemplation of boobs and asses. Not that Ford addresses this issue at any great length in Some Do Not…, but one character is described as having very little “sex instinct”, as a kind of compliment in that it allows her to engage in more fruitful activities unburdened by sexual politics and maneuverings. Ford of course did not ha ...more
Debbie Bassett
Apr 06, 2013 Debbie Bassett rated it it was amazing
What a stunning tour de force.
Although Ford is a bit confusing in his arrangement of parts, I read this book still with the haze of the recent HBO production of Parade's End in my mind, so I found the discontinuity manageable. The story is also an antidote to the currently popular and overly-hawked Downton Abbey, which I have just sworn off of.
What makes a novel good? Well, Christopher Tietjens is a fine hero: a younger son, a brilliant mind, and an out-moded and almost accidentally received m
carl  theaker
Apr 17, 2010 carl theaker rated it really liked it
If you're too good, people will hate you - appears to be the theme.

Having almost scratched my eyes out with 'The Good Soldier', or I should
say I couldn't appreciate the convoluted style, I promised to focus even
more this time, and 'Parade' is a better read.

FMF likes to open scenes with no context, so you don't have any idea
what is going on and you have to figure it out from the conversation,
which makes it difficult reading at times.

England 1910, two good friends Tietjens & MacMaster are 30is
David Edmonds
Nov 15, 2012 David Edmonds rated it it was amazing
Some do not ... what? You must read it to find out. Parade's end may become my favourite of the great British 20th Century sequences, alongside the Balkan \ Levant trilogies, Raj Quartet, and more satisfying than A Dance to the Music of Time. Once in tune with the time shifting I savoured every page. And it's to be a BBC series ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pres...
Kate
Apr 20, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I adored this book. Absolutely stunning prose in highly original structure. Not the easiest read but worth the effort. Read it over 10 years ago and still rates as my favourite - recommend highly.
Chelsea
May 27, 2012 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
This is the first installment of Ford Madox Ford's Quadrilogy, Parade's End, which is one of my more ambitious summer reading selections. The book's narration moves fluidly back and forth through time and follows protagonist, Christopher Tietjens, a man struggling with a set of old-fashioned English gentleman values in a rapidly modernizing world. Tietjens describes the first World War as a war between the 18th century and the 20th century. In this environment old-fashioned morals and social res ...more
Simon Mcleish
Aug 25, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Originally published on my blog here in September 2000.

The character of Christopher Tietjens dominates the first novel of Ford's Parade's End sequence about the effects of the First World War as he does all four. His central place is because he represents much of the decent side of the old gentlemanly world destroyed in that conflict.

Strangely enough, in Some Do Not..., no part of the war is portrayed; it is mainly about the relationship between Tietjens and his wife Sylvia. This is what starts
Terri
Feb 02, 2014 Terri rated it liked it
It took lots of time to read this book and many times I had to put it down and pick up another book. The book is actually four books with several parts in each book. The characters' thoughts and feelings before, during and after the World War I were provided in detail. Ford also gave us differing points of view of the soldier on the front lines and the folks back home. The author described the public opinions about war and relationships, along with the changes in views after the war. The story w ...more
Kristin
Oct 25, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This had a lot in common with War and Peace, the whole saga-like atmosphere focusing on a few related characters and their lives as they take place during wartime or leading up to it. I really enjoyed the segues back into time that, according to the introduction to my copy of the volume, are supposed to show how a mind is confused after being at war and also how it shows how events interrelate and remind one of other events in one's life. I look forward to reading the other three volumes, esp. a ...more
Therese Noble
Jan 29, 2013 Therese Noble rated it liked it
A difficult novel to read for two reasons:
Ford's structure took some adjusting to and when I eventually figured out that he would drop in a new part of the story which he wouldn't elaborate until 50 to 100 pages later, I settled into it. However, that didn't make it any more enjoyable.
Secondly, Christopher Tietjens sense of honour as an English gentleman of a very elite class, and as a husband and son in this narrow world, just became annoying.
Having persisted for just over 900 pages, it was fr
Jane
Jan 25, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing
Wonderful - the last parts of Parade's End, Ford's brilliant books about a man out of touch with his times. The protagonist holds on to his old-school values in a Britain that's rapidly changing after World War I. Sometimes you admire him for his tenacity; at other times you want to kick some sense into him.
Anna
Sep 30, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

These are extraordinary books. I first read them about 25 years ago and was very impressed. then inspired by the very good TV version retread them September 2012. I have yet to read the fourth one and am interested to see whether some of the scenes in the Stoppard screenplay come up in the final book.
The three books are beautifully constructed, with dramatic flashbacks and changes of pace.
The characters are so deeply portrayed - they are real human beings: even the dreadful Sylvia is not whol
Yeemay
Sep 13, 2012 Yeemay rated it really liked it
Fascinating & intriguing read. I found it very funny in parts but then wondered if it was meant to be ironic? The streams of consciousness was so modern, the ideas and the mores examined complex and multilayered. Definitely rereading again just for the joy of the language. Love the main characters, too: Christopher saint or annoyng anachronism? Sylvie: banshee or just thwarted woman who supposedly can have evyrthing except what she wants? It made me spend lots of time thinking about what I'd ...more
Steven
Apr 11, 2015 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: british
Has its moments but not in the same class as The Good Soldier
Te Aroha
Oct 08, 2013 Te Aroha rated it it was amazing
So very heart-aching. So, very, very interior - a painstakingly drawn - and thus occasionally painful to read! - portrait of the inner life of a man struggling to adhere to his own honour in a world which seems to have abandoned all notion of such. Deciding between his unfaithful wife and devoted mistress-in-waiting, and set against the First World War, Christopher Tietjens strives in a picture of crumbling certainties in a changing world.

Yeah, this book really upset me.
John
Oct 12, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"No More Parades", the second part of the tetralogy "Parades End" would be as brilliant as the first had it not been for the tedious descriptions of army life on the supply lines to the Western Front, and the confusing military acronyms. Ford Madox Ford continues, otherwise, to draw vivid descriptions of the behaviour, thoughts and motives of his main characters and elaborates upon on how British society, and its attitudes, changed irrevocably during World War One.
John
Oct 05, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and a compulsive read. The characters are wonderfully drawn.

I learnt so much about how British society worked in the run up to, and during, World War One. The "Old Order" was destroyed forever, dramatically and, for many individuals, devastatingly.

I'm about to embark on the second book in the Parades End trilogy, "No More Parades". There is a fourth volume, which I believe is more of a sequel than it is a novel to complete a tetralogy.
pedro
Jan 30, 2014 pedro added it
Chasing Shakespeare
Ian Hartley
Mar 15, 2013 Ian Hartley rated it really liked it
Watched BBC adaptation and then bought the book. I had a holiday and it took a week to read but it was excellent. The characters are complex and rounded and the portrayal of the Great War is funny and heartbreaking by turns. must be one of the greatest novels of the last century. The BBC series is a fabulous adaptation with great production values - just a bit too condensed!
MyBookAffair
Oct 04, 2012 MyBookAffair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deals with Teitjen's time as a captain at a supplies depot, close to the Front during World War One. He has left Valentine and England behind, but Sylvia, on the war-path, follows him to France and stirs up a world of trouble in the process. To read my full review see: http://www.mybookaffair.net/2012/10/n...
Kitty
Jun 21, 2013 Kitty rated it it was amazing
The sense of understanding every permutation of a character's psychology, even in the midst of a situation as unimaginably awful as the trenches of the First World War, is so intense that I am now missing this book very much and wishing I hadn't finished it.
MyBookAffair
Oct 03, 2012 MyBookAffair rated it it was amazing
If the measure of a book is how easily it transports you to another place, then Ford Maddox Ford's novel, 'Some Do Not', is certainly a masterpiece. For full review see: http://www.mybookaffair.net/2012/09/s...
Lesley Eirich
Sep 14, 2012 Lesley Eirich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle

Loved this book, beautiful prose, if a bit strenuous due to constant consultation of the dictionary. Definitely merits re-reading. Great insights into England of the early 20th century.
Patrick
Apr 14, 2013 Patrick marked it as to-read
Had the Vintage paperback for well nigh on twenty years. Should be in my line but could never quite get a hold of it somehow. Pity. Still, try again someday I expect.
Peter
Oct 21, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More coherent than the first Parades End novel. Wonderfully scathing about the command structure of the British Army in the trenches.
Helen Stanton
Oct 24, 2012 Helen Stanton rated it really liked it

Not an way read but. Very absorbing ....and some great nasty characters. Will def read the other 3 ...eventually !
Chris
Apr 07, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Ford fans, watch this video.
Marcia
Sep 04, 2013 Marcia rated it it was ok
Finding it impossible to finish....great reviews here but for me I pick it up and fall asleep....i quit.
Dimmy-jimmy
Jun 03, 2013 Dimmy-jimmy rated it really liked it
BOTH BOOKS WERE WONDERFUL EVEN THOUGH THE VOCABULARY WAS A LITTLE DIFICULT AT TIMES
Martha Hunter
Jan 11, 2013 Martha Hunter rated it liked it
Extremely elliptical - not quite The Good Soldier.
  • The Levant Trilogy
  • Men at Arms
  • Hugh Selwyn Mauberley
  • Gentleman's Agreement
  • The Dressmaker
  • Sea Garden
  • Reading Chekhov: A Critical Journey
  • Little Girl Lost (The Valley of Ten Crescents, #0.5)
  • Encyclopaedia of Snow
  • The Splendid Outcast: Beryl Markham's African Stories
  • The Man Upstairs and Other Stories (Golf Stories, #0.5)
  • Tiger
  • Youth / Heart of Darkness / The End of the Tether
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • A Ripple from the Storm
  • A Boy's Will
  • Birds, Beasts and Flowers
  • The Coward's Tale: A Novel
Ford Madox Ford, born Ford Hermann Hueffer, was an English novelist, poet, critic and editor whose journals, The English Review and The Transatlantic Review, were instrumental in the development of early 20th-century English literature.

Ford Madox Ford was the author of over 60 works: novels, poems, criticism, travel essays, and reminiscences. His work includes The Good Soldier, Parade's End, The R
More about Ford Madox Ford...

Parade's End (4 books)
  • Some Do Not...
  • No More Parades
  • A Man Could Stand Up
  • The Last Post

“It was an odd friendship, but the oddnesses of friendships are a frequent guarantee of their lasting texture.” 38 likes
“She had always known under her mind and now she confessed it: her agony had been, half of it, because one day he would say farewell to her, like that, with the inflexion of a verb. As, just occasionally, using the work “we” - and perhaps without intention - he had let her know that he loved her.” 4 likes