Start by marking “Wipeout! (Surfing Detective Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Wipeout! (Surfing Detective Mystery #2)

Wipeout! (Surfing Detective Mystery #2)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In this fast-paced sequel to mystery novel "Murder on Molokai," Surfing Detective Kai Cooke works to help a young, very-pregnant Summer McDahl prove that her husband, Corky, is dead. Corky McDahl wiped out on Christmas Eve in gigantic surf at Waimea Bay and vanished amid suspicious circumstances. Did Corky pull off the most daring skip trace ever? Is he dead or alive? Thou ...more
Published (first published January 31st 2007)

Don Batson
Predictable

Good read, but was somewhat predictable. I found the use of Hawaiian terms or slang somewhat distracting. It was still entertaining.
Steve Betz
Jul 06, 2010 Steve Betz rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, mystery
One of the things that I did before this recent trip to Hawaii was search Amazon for "Hawaii" + "mystery" because I wanted to take along a book that had some Island flavor. I was surprised at the low number of matches -- there was a smattering of Charlie Chan books and a few young reader selections, but really there weren't many.

Then I spied "Wipeout" by Chip Hughes, part of his "surfing detective" series. Surfing detective? Yeah brah, sign me up.

So, I was a little surprised when the book was de
Paul Penney
Oct 07, 2015 Paul Penney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are obsessed with surfing, or wish to learn some Hawaiian, you may like this book. However, if you want a good action-packed mystery, or like quality writing, don't bother. Here's an exerpt:

"I seen dat board, brah", little Puka said. "Here at Waimea?" "Naw - where wuz it?" Puka thought for a minute. "Ehukai...? Sunset...?" "You remembah da guy - blon', green eyes...?" Nah, but da board - yeah. Sunset, da guy wuz surfing Sunset." Alika turned to the other two. "You know da guy?" "Nah," the
Michael Ward
Oct 15, 2015 Michael Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

Excellent read, very few explicit sex details. Did leave me hanging about Samantha and Corky and how Mr. Sun was so quickly arrested. Will read more of the author's books when or if they come down in price.
SOS Aloha
Jun 13, 2014 SOS Aloha rated it really liked it
Just take your time - wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one. - Duke Kahanamoku

WIPEOUT continues the sleuthing adventures of Kai Cooke, the Surfing Detective. A very pregnant client visits his office in Chinatown, Oahu, asking for Kai's help to find her missing husband, presumed dead after a a wipeout at Waimea Beach. The surfer's disappearance doesn't add up ... and neither does the wife's interest in finding him. Kai's investigation leads him to Oahu's North Shore, Maui's cowboy
Deanna Rittinger
Dec 03, 2014 Deanna Rittinger rated it it was amazing
A very fun read!
Sara
Oct 06, 2015 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story quite a bit. The descriptions of surfing and the local Hawaiian dialect is what drew me to it. And not knowing anything about either, they seemed well done to me. However, after finishing, I do not like the main character. As the story progressed, I liked him less and less. There were a couple parts where his actions physically turned my stomach. I would like to check out more by this author, but definitely not this character.
Nancy
Mar 18, 2016 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first one I read. The language and culture are fun, the surfing details are interesting. The plot was rather boring; not a lot of tension or reason to care. I don't like how Jack is so quick to jump into bed with comparative strangers when he's in supposedly serious relationships. There were quite a few proofreading mistakes in this one, too. It felt like the author rushed to get the book out.
Darlene E
Oct 22, 2015 Darlene E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book. I love Hawaii so that drew me to the book. It is a good mystery, well written and it makes you feel like you are there with them. I enjoyed the book enough to get the other two in the series and am starting the first one now. I have been to Hawaii so could easily envision the story. This is number 2 in his series of the Surfing Detective. Very good read!
claire potvin
Oct 17, 2015 claire potvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I. Did not like the Hawaiian language. Took to long to read . And I always finish what I start .

Maybe the next book will be more interesting.....the ending was what I had expected looking forward to my good read claire
Susan Lee Thuener
Oct 07, 2015 Susan Lee Thuener rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Surfing around the Hawaiian islands.

Didn't really dig this one. Maybe if you are into the sport it would be more interesting but I don't even know what they're talking about when the different types of waves are mentioned.
Dee Cash
Nov 22, 2015 Dee Cash rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not For Me

I found Wipe out boring. The characters had no depth. The story was convoluted. I guess maybe detective stories, especially "surfer detective" stories are just not interesting to me.
kenneth  h.  robinson
Adventure, Surfing, and Mystery

When a privateinvestigator is hired in Hawaii to find out what happened to surfer who's been missing for some months, it launches the action.
Karen Salmons
May 11, 2014 Karen Salmons rated it really liked it
Was a pretty good story but I found it a little hard to read smoothly due to the use of actual Hawaiian dialect. I kept stumbling over some of the words. Will read other books by this author though, or at least one more, to see if I can get the hang of it.
Denise
Nov 16, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book!

I really enjoyed this book! Wish it was longer and talked more about Kai and Lo! Maybe in the future they can hook up again!
Debra Peck
Oct 11, 2015 Debra Peck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is good.

I loved it. It was a page turner and I enjoyed the Hawaii theme. The other reviews are correct, it doesn't go where you think it will.
Scott Mitchell
Sep 22, 2015 Scott Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid sequel

Great sequel, Kai is a cool character. Very good story telling and book 2 seemed to be a little smoother than book 1.
Val Wilkerson
Oct 14, 2015 Val Wilkerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Kai Cooke is a surfer and a P.I. on the island of Oahu. This is a fun read.
Neil Plakcy
Jul 24, 2014 Neil Plakcy rated it it was amazing
Very evocative of Hawaii. Good writing and atmosphere.
Laura Altom
Oct 04, 2015 Laura Altom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun afternoon read for a rainy day on the beach!
Chris N
Love reading books set in Hawaii!
Janet
Oct 05, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good
A.J. Llewellyn
Oct 13, 2010 A.J. Llewellyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
I liked this book a lot. It was a lightweight mystery but better than most Hawaiian mysteries out there. I picked this up at Native Books in Ward Center. I hope Hughes writes more of his "Surfing Detective" novels. They are certainly a slice of Hawaiian life and it helps that the author actually lives there, lending authenticity to even mundane details.
Kai Cooke is a convincing hero...I'd like to see more books and perhaps a little more development to his stories.
Jay Baker
Jul 22, 2011 Jay Baker rated it liked it
This is a surprisingly good surfing/detective novel. Surfer fakes his death on a big day at Waimea to avoid drug dealers. Or does he? His wife wants to know so she can collect on his life insurance. Waves are ridden. Short trips are taken from Oahu to outer islands.
Elle Druskin
Apr 03, 2011 Elle Druskin rated it liked it
This is part of a series although any of the books could be stand alone. It has a realistic ring, pace and an engaging main character. If you want to read mysteries set in Hawaii and enjoy surfing, watching or participating, this might be the series for you.
Andre Steffens
Oct 01, 2013 Andre Steffens rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable book! I grew up with Magnum PI and this book brought back some nostalgic memories... A flowing story, although the end was a little abrupt. Worth the read.
Susan
Jul 10, 2010 Susan rated it it was ok
Read this on the plane home from Hawaii (thin, light, easy to carry). Steve said it best - like an episode of Magnum PI. Nuff said.
Valerie  Blohm
Valerie Blohm rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Rene Crowder
Rene Crowder marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • The Bleiberg Project (Consortium #1)
  • The Granite Key (Arkana Mysteries #1)
  • The Devil's Game
  • The Old Man and The King
  • A New Dawn Rising
  • Soft Target (Major Crimes Unit #1)
  • Burnt Offerings
  • Bicycle Shop Murder (Greg Tenorly Suspense Series, #1)
  • Undetectable (Great Minds Thriller, #2)
  • Luthecker
  • Racked (A Lt. Jack Daniels / Nicholas Colt mystery)
  • Sleeper Cell: Book 0- The Beginning
  • Ascension Day Part 1 of 2
  • The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)
  • Trusting Evil
  • Sacrifices
  • The Hand of Christ (The Sterling Novels, #1)
  • Enormity (Complete Edition)

Surfing Detective Mystery (5 books)
  • Murder on Moloka'i (Surfing Detective Mystery #1)
  • Kula (Surfing Detective Mystery, #3)
  • Hanging Ten in Paris (Surfing Detective Mystery, #4)
  • Murder at Volcano House (Surfing Detective Mystery, #5)

“rope.  That was it. Next I tried the bench facing mauka toward the sacrificial heiau and Waimea” 0 likes
“Sun” 0 likes