Wipeout! (Surfing Detective Mystery #2)

Wipeout! (Surfing Detective Mystery #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this fast-paced sequel to mystery novel "Murder on Molokai," Surfing Detective Kai Cooke works to help a young, very-pregnant Summer McDahl prove that her husband, Corky, is dead. Corky McDahl wiped out on Christmas Eve in gigantic surf at Waimea Bay and vanished amid suspicious circumstances. Did Corky pull off the most daring skip trace ever? Is he dead or alive? Thou...more
Published (first published January 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wipeout!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wipeout!

Steve Betz
One of the things that I did before this recent trip to Hawaii was search Amazon for "Hawaii" + "mystery" because I wanted to take along a book that had some Island flavor. I was surprised at the low number of matches -- there was a smattering of Charlie Chan books and a few young reader selections, but really there weren't many.

Then I spied "Wipeout" by Chip Hughes, part of his "surfing detective" series. Surfing detective? Yeah brah, sign me up.

So, I was a little surprised when the book was de...more
SOS Aloha
Just take your time - wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one. - Duke Kahanamoku

WIPEOUT continues the sleuthing adventures of Kai Cooke, the Surfing Detective. A very pregnant client visits his office in Chinatown, Oahu, asking for Kai's help to find her missing husband, presumed dead after a a wipeout at Waimea Beach. The surfer's disappearance doesn't add up ... and neither does the wife's interest in finding him. Kai's investigation leads him to Oahu's North Shore, Maui's cowboy...more
Karen Salmons
Was a pretty good story but I found it a little hard to read smoothly due to the use of actual Hawaiian dialect. I kept stumbling over some of the words. Will read other books by this author though, or at least one more, to see if I can get the hang of it.
Neil Plakcy
Very evocative of Hawaii. Good writing and atmosphere.
A.J. Llewellyn
I liked this book a lot. It was a lightweight mystery but better than most Hawaiian mysteries out there. I picked this up at Native Books in Ward Center. I hope Hughes writes more of his "Surfing Detective" novels. They are certainly a slice of Hawaiian life and it helps that the author actually lives there, lending authenticity to even mundane details.
Kai Cooke is a convincing hero...I'd like to see more books and perhaps a little more development to his stories.
Jay Baker
This is a surprisingly good surfing/detective novel. Surfer fakes his death on a big day at Waimea to avoid drug dealers. Or does he? His wife wants to know so she can collect on his life insurance. Waves are ridden. Short trips are taken from Oahu to outer islands.
Elle Druskin
This is part of a series although any of the books could be stand alone. It has a realistic ring, pace and an engaging main character. If you want to read mysteries set in Hawaii and enjoy surfing, watching or participating, this might be the series for you.
Andre Steffens
What an enjoyable book! I grew up with Magnum PI and this book brought back some nostalgic memories... A flowing story, although the end was a little abrupt. Worth the read.
Susan
Read this on the plane home from Hawaii (thin, light, easy to carry). Steve said it best - like an episode of Magnum PI. Nuff said.
Dragonglimer
Dragonglimer marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jennifer Arnold
Jennifer Arnold marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
DEBIE WILLIAMS
DEBIE WILLIAMS marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Cyanemi
Cyanemi is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Joe Brabant
Joe Brabant marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Laura Hix
Laura Hix marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
cariedaway
cariedaway marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Twilightwatchers
Twilightwatchers marked it as to-read
Joleen
Joleen added it
R.P. Rochford
R.P. Rochford marked it as to-read
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Donna Thompson
Donna Thompson marked it as to-read
Samm.
Samm. marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Murder on Moloka'i (Surfing Detective Mystery #1) Kula (Surfing Detective Mystery #3) Murder on Moloka'i - Slate Ridge Press Edition (Surfing Detective Mystery Series) Murder at Volcano House : A Surfing Detective Mystery ( Surfing Detective Mystery Series ) Wipeout! & Hanging Ten in Paris: Two Surfing Detective Mysteries