Start by marking “The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Shadow Queen

Anne Bishop

The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels #7)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  9,493 Ratings  ·  264 Reviews

From the national bestselling author the new novel set in the “darkly fascinating world”(SF Site) of the Black Jewels.

Dena Nehele is a land decimated by its past. Once it was ruled by corrupt Queens who were wiped out when the land was cleansed of tainted Blood. Now, only one hundred Warlord Princes standwithout a leader and without hope.

Theran Grayhaven is the last of h

Published March 3rd 2009 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Queen

Wealhtheow
Dec 02, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: seperis
Shelves: fantasy
This is not a good book. It is, however, incredibly engaging on a very specific level. If you're looking for reasonable human beings, beautiful turns of phrase, thoughtful politics or believable dialog, this is not the book for you. BUT. If you want melodramatic wish-fullfillment crack, then the only series more suited is Lackey's The Last Herald-Mage.

This is the latest book in Bishop's Black Jewels series. The world is split into two classes: the downtrodden landen (basically serfs) and the Bl
Lee
Mar 04, 2014 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bishop needs confidence in her new characters. I loved Lady Cassidy and Gray and wanted more of them, but felt that the constant need for Damian and Lucifer. In fact, Bishop insisted on inserting a completely needless subplot of yet another attempt to seduce Damian by a vicious witch. Why? Oh, why?

Lady Cassidy and Gray, two people in emotional pain, find comfort and solace in each other's company as they bring a garden to life. The readers receive a glimpse of Cassidy's earthy leadership style,
Lightreads
Mar 07, 2010 Lightreads rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
What?! With the – and the -- what?!

If I wanted to read terrifying outpourings of personal id vortex, full of gender essentialism and staggeringly bad portrayals of PTSD and everyone acting like badly mismanaged three year olds who fuck and slaughter each other at a moment’s notice, I’d spend more time at fanfiction.net, where at least I don’t have to be appalled that someone got paid to write it.

All I can say is, when I read the first chunk of the series last year during my 2L exams at the end o
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
This series is brilliant. One of the greatest things about it is that the plots are never formulaic and the characters will always keep you guessing. The previous book in this series was an ode to a genre piece gone slightly wrong, but this one gets everything back on track. I can't wait to pick up the next one!
N.K. Jemisin
Aug 01, 2009 N.K. Jemisin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trainwrecks
No. (Sorry, that's all I can think of to say here.)
Jensownzoo
Apr 17, 2009 Jensownzoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not too many authors give me that electric thrill of excitement when I have one of their books in hand, but Anne Bishop and her Black Jewels books are always one of them. In this book, the main story is focused on a few new characters, but also contains a great deal of supporting plot threads with all the old, favorite characters from the original trilogy. Was a little disappointed that the story ended where it did (I need more, I tell you, MORE, MORE, MORE!!!) but I could see the dramatic value ...more
Shawnna
Feb 25, 2009 Shawnna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Caroline
Mar 22, 2009 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
This story was a great mix of all of the previous Black Jewels novels and some new and very interesting characters. I loved that this resolved a lot from The Invisible Ring, as well as some from the actual trilogy. This deals with the descendants of the characters from The Invisible Ring, as well as the cast that readers of the series know and love from the trilogy.

I had some issues with Theran Grayhaven, the descendant of Jared and Lia. He's not a very likable character for most of the novel, w
Kim
Aug 19, 2009 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read a novel by Anne Bishop, I always find myself wondering what issues she may have with men, because the gender dynamics of the worlds she creates are so interesting. That she has much to say about relations between the genders is perhaps most obvious in her Tir Alainn series, the villains of which are guilty of just about everything that has ever been done to oppress women, from female genital mutilation to burning witches. In the Black Jewels universe, in my opinion Bishop’s fine ...more
Evanne Lorraine
Jan 29, 2016 Evanne Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, in fact I'd have a hard time picking a favorite from this series.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This not the book I'd start with if you're new to Anne Bishop or her Dark Jewels series. I'd recommend reading first at least the opening trilogy of Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows and Queen of the Darkness, and I think it would help to read The Invisible Ring, which forms the backdrop to this tale set in the territory of Dona Nehele, once ruled by that novel's Gray Lady.

In Queen of the Darkness, Saetan told Alexandra that it's not magical power that makes a strong queen, and after th
Samantha
Feb 28, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Bishop delivers a thrilling, lush, sensual novel replete with complex, engaging characters, a healthy dose of humor and that fascinating, wonderful magic system established so well in her previous 'Jewels' books. Anyone who's enjoyed the previous 'Jewels' novels will adore this. You really do need to read all the previous books first, though - there's a tremendous amount of backstory to many of the details here. You can PROBABLY enjoy it without having read the others, but really.. k ...more
Anita
Book 7 in the Black Jewels traditional fantasy series, this story would not make much sense out of order, so I highly recommend reading these in the correct sequence. This story is set two years after the end of book three (when Janelle unleashes her full power to eradicate all the bad Blood.) It also takes place a couple hundred years after book 4, where we learned the story of Lia and Jared. The setting is the same land that Lia ruled - Dena Nehele - but the bad Blood who ruled the land for th ...more
Theresa
Several years ago I picked up the first book in the "Black Jewels" trilogy by Anne Bishop and was totally drawn into the vivid world she created. Using the mystique of slightly-tweaked biblical names like Saetan and Luciver and setting much of her story in a 'demon-dead' realm known as Hell, Bishop successfully blends pieces of Christian religion with her own highly imaginative, magical creation.

Witches and Warlords are the Blood of the realm of Terreille. Queens are the highest ranking women of
Cam
Apr 14, 2009 Cam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kara-karina
Nov 02, 2014 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
This was an unexpected turn in the series, ladies and gents! After many adventures of Daemon, Lucivar and Jaenelle, the focus goes back to a troubled land of Dena Nehele which desperately needs a new Queen. Lady Cassidy might not be a glamorous choice, but her gentle nature and steady approach slowly conquers her Warrior circle one by one, until Theran Grayhaven starts messing around with things he doesn't understand.

I have to say, that despite not knowing Lady Cassidy I liked her straight
Lily
Oct 14, 2014 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Very happy to see that Anne Bishop is continuing to write in the Black Jewels universe. Much better than her Ephemera series.
Emily
Jan 06, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
So, I really liked this book, though the beginning was a little slow for me. It made me regret skipping book 4 in this series as I think that would've provided the back story I needed to make the first section more interesting. Anywho, I ended up really enjoying it just the same. Right up until it ended abruptly and totally pissed me off. Looks like I'll be making my third library trip this week.
Toni Adwell
Heather
Mar 25, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Cassidy as a character. It’s nice to have a protagonist to identify with who isn’t stunningly beautiful, perfectly proportioned, and capable of making everyone melt at her feet. Those stories have their places, but this is nice too. I very much disliked Theran, so I was glad Ms. Bishop didn’t try to match him with Cassidy romantically as I had at first feared she might (I should have trusted Ms. Bishop, who understands character chemistry quite well). It’s fascinating to watch Cassidy int ...more
Kellie
Jul 21, 2009 Kellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read exactly like her other books: seduction of the Sadist, his sexual encounters with his absurdly powerful wife, a new Queen that must be more powerful than she seems.

She tries to make it more edgy with her typical four-letter flourish but the curses diminish the credibility of her characters. You'd think they could be "hardcore" without muttering 'damn' or 'ass' every other word.
Tapley
Apr 17, 2009 Tapley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
This is a series that I like alot, and I enjoyed this book mainly as a chance to visit with a world and characters I enjoy very much. I also enjoy Bishop's pacing - she keeps the story moving in a way that a book that shifts character perspective this much rarely does.
Katrine/Catarina
Jun 07, 2016 Katrine/Catarina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annette
Jun 03, 2009 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I have been waiting for this author to write another book in this series. She sort of ended the Black Jewel series with the last book and it didn't seem like there would be anymore. This makes me sooooo happy!
Cornelia
Apr 12, 2015 Cornelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After the last view books, I was really surprised and enlightened by this one.

The characters are believable (more than a few from the earlier books), the story does not really drag, and there were parts I even laughed out loud at, since they were mostly hilarious (e.g. situations with Lady Vae).

All in all, it was sweet, honest and, for a change, had a protagonist whose thoughts one could actually read and experience. And Cassidy, with her imperfections, is just likeable.
I will need to read the n
Juliana
Jun 12, 2009 Juliana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
I really need to stop reading these things.
Katie
Aug 22, 2016 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
easy read. not great but not bad.
May 04, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a 4.5 for me. I was so happy that it brought The Invisible Ring back into the overall plot, because I was really feeling like that was quite an unnecessary side trip. Now I see that it was laying the groundwork for these new stories involving the Grayhaven line.
Again, I was hesitant because I always want to have more interaction with the SaDiablo family, and I didn't know how much they would be involved in this new book. I was pleasantly surprised! There's a fairly even mix of
Adam Smith
May 13, 2015 Adam Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Centuries after Jared and Lia made their last stand, the territory of Dena Nehele lies devastated in the wake of the witchstorm that cleansed the realms. Years of cruelty and subjugation at the hands of Hyall has left the territory without a queen. Now with the fate of his people in his hands, Theran Greyhaven, last of the line of Jared and Lia, must call in an old debt in the hopes of finding a queen capable of ruling them and guiding his people back to the old ways of the Blood.

A follow-up sto
Stephanie {Wishing Upon a Book}
What can I say? I just love Anne Bishop’s Black Jewels world. But this one holds a special place in my heart because, this time it’s not really about the main characters from the trilogy but about Cassidy, a Rose-Jeweled Queen and how she becomes the new Queen of Dena Nehele.

Can I start by saying that I just love Cassie. She’s just so unlike any of the Queens we’ve met so far in this enchanting world. She’s a good solid and relatable character, she’s not perfect and she makes mistakes but I gues
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 12 Apr 24, 2016 12:44PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Feb 04, 2015 10:07AM
  • A Demanda do Visionário (A Saga do Assassino #5)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Naamah's Curse (Moirin Trilogy, #2)
  • The Misted Cliffs (Lost Continent, #2)
  • The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
  • When Demons Walk (Sianim, #3)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel, Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestseller list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...

The Black Jewels (9 books)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3)
  • The Invisible Ring (The Black Jewels, #4)
  • Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)
  • Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6)
  • Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)

“But wouldn't it be lovely to watch two people fall in love?” 44 likes
“Nothing wrong with the way your mother looks. First thing in the morning, last thing at night, and every hour in between, she looks just fine.” 5 likes