Start by marking “Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery” as Want to Read:

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
An irresistible guide to making 90 intensely flavorful handmade ice creams from the country's top artisanal ice cream shop, including the smash hits Salted Caramel and Balsamic Strawberry, plus other favorites.

San Francisco’s Bi-Rite Creamery is as well known for its small-batch, handcrafted, show-stoppingly inventive ice cream as it is for the long line that snakes around
Published April 17th 2012 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones

Rocky Road by Rose KentShug by Jenny HanThe Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoyAll We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle   BrownThe Melting of Maggie Bean by Tricia Rayburn
Frozen Desserts
50th out of 56 books — 4 voters
The Dark Heart by Emma V. LeechThe Dark Deceit by Emma V. LeechBeyond the Kingdoms by Chris ColferCinder by Marissa MeyerWonder by R.J. Palacio
2016 CCS - Favourite books this year
58th out of 112 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Carolynn
Dec 01, 2015 Carolynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, ice-cream
"Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones" was a fun read and I plan to add it to my cooking library as soon as possible. It's not an all-inclusive encyclopedia of ice creams, but it does go in depth into some of the major flavors and delivers absolutely delicious recipes that you can make at home. Along with the basic recipes are some far out new ones from the Bi-Rite Creamery that will make you very happy at dessert time.

Included are recipes for cookies and pie crusts and frostings and cakes that will allo
Ellen
Checked this out from the library and definitely want to purchase it. It and my copy of David Lebovitz's THE PERFECT SCOOP are the only ice cream books I need. Mouthwatering flavors, delicious mix-ins and add ons, how to make an ice cream cake= it's all good. It is a little righteous about how ingredients should be organic and ecofriendly, etc, which IS a noble idea, but for home bakers, it may not possible to find everything organic and green all the time without having to pay a lot or order it ...more
Girl Underground
Dec 24, 2012 Girl Underground rated it really liked it
The biggest difference between Bi-Rite's recipes and the common recipe is their combination of low-fat milk with heavy cream, supposedly because the low-fat milk allows for more flavor to come through. I'm also glad the recipes don't make cooking custard so fussy--I often get so impatient while cooking custard that I end up with a pot of scrambled eggs; this book offers some good direction for just getting the thing done. I'm looking forward to trying these recipes out and comparing them to Jeni ...more
Sylvia
Dec 19, 2012 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-cookbooks
Ice cream! We have not made ice cream yet, but we have good inspiration to now. This puts getting an ice cream machine on the top of our list. The book will help you master the basic techniques like making the base for the ice cream, sugar cones, sorbet, granita, ice pops, ice cream cakes, ice cream pie, and ice cream sandwiches. There are step-by-step photos and tips interspersed between the instructions. Trust us, you'll be craving for their ice cream, even in the middle of winter.
Anna
Jul 26, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS cookbook. In fact I'd like to a Julie & Julia style blog where I make every single recipe. I love ice cream, I've been making my own for several years and this book had some super great tips that I cannot wait to try. I got this from the library but I'm going to buy my own copy it was that good.
Erin
May 04, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook about ice cream techniques, equipment, and recipes. It is also a cookbook I would consider adding to my collection in the future, but it is tied with David Lebovitz's ice cream cookbook, "The Scoop!"
haya
Nov 14, 2012 haya rated it really liked it
incredible book! i got it from the library but plan to buy my own immediately. super well laid out and the recipes for both ice cream and accompaniments look amazing.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 04, 2015 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it really liked it
Ironically I received this recipe book along with a kitchenaide ice cream attachment for Christmas... right after I was diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance. It was a Bitter-Sweet moment. We have been attempting to make adjustments and find alternatives that will allow me to enjoy cold, creamy goodness this summer. The is my one complaint, that there aren't alternative suggestions for people with dietary restrictions, but all in all I found reading about the preparation and the different ingredien ...more
Susan
May 27, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
If you want to try making your own ice cream, get this book. The instructions are so clearly written, illustrated, and thorough you will simply not be able to fail. The basic vanilla has been so far our favorite recipe. I was disappointed with the salted caramel but only because it didn't taste to me like salted caramel. It did, however, turn into a fabulous burnt sugar flavor that was simply killer with a pumpkin cake I had baked. Gorgeous recipes, lovely book.
Susan
Mar 10, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
I'll be honest _ I have yet to make it past making their Buttermilk Ice Cream, but (!) it is so completely perfect for everything from pie à la mode to ice cream sandwiches that I haven't found a reason to try making any of the others.. yet! However, I can say that if the recipes are as good as the many flavours I have tried at their store in San Francisco, this book will be the only Ice Cream book I will ever need to buy.
Molly Moody
Aug 01, 2015 Molly Moody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Of course I love it- the Bi Rite Creamery is one of my favorite ice cream shops, despite the fact it takes me 45 minutes to get there. So it definitely helps to have their simple for the happy to make stuff from scratch cook.
Erin Hanton
Jul 06, 2015 Erin Hanton rated it really liked it
I've made several of the recipes in this book, and they are fabulous! The recipes are a custard style ice cream, so be sure that is up your alley before attempting. Recipes and instructions are very thorough.
Michelle
Aug 06, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I can't wait to make some of these recipes! I love making ice cream and Jeni's recipes are my favorite. They avoid eggs so I'm interested to try some custard bases from Bi-Rite.
Mar 17, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Delicious recipes, if a bit sweet. Perhaps I overdid it a bit by reading it in one sitting. I will be making the Espresso Fudge Sauce. Yum.
Sophia
Jan 12, 2015 Sophia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love the custardy flavor that comes from the many egg yolks you use. The texture and flavor were perfect.
Michelle
May 20, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
I liked it, but also noticed some instructions were missing for the banana recipe and the pumpkin recipe. There didn't seem to be an general amount of time to churn it either, which I know it said to read the manufacture's manual for your ice cream maker, but it would have been nice to include for the novice. I've over churned ice cream in the past and you can't fix it, so it's a waste of ingredients. Be careful to watch it after 20 min or so. I can't wait to go to Bi Rite next time we're in San ...more
Cassie
Jul 13, 2016 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sad I never got up to NorCal to go to Bi-Rite while I was out on the west coast, but at least I have this!
Carinne Gee
The bes ice cream cook book I've found. I've made several and they've all turned out fabulous. Its not just the recipes, its the techniques. I've made a LOT of ice cream over the years. This book has the best instructions and techniques I've seen. Fabulous recipes too!
Beka
Oct 02, 2013 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I loved all the great pictures and flavor combos, but I didn't like the custard style that they used. Also, none of the recipes called my name.
Sandy
Sep 02, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
My best ice cream ever! I like the photos to support the directions and am now exploring some other books on ice cream. What fun!
Emma
Mar 01, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing
My aunt is one of the co-authors of this book and co-owners of Bi-Rite Creamery, so of course I love it! :)
Irvinbriones
Irvinbriones marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Cori Jo
Cori Jo marked it as to-read
Suzanne Hall
Suzanne Hall marked it as to-read
monica mayo-ginder
monica mayo-ginder marked it as to-read
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
lukesalandy
lukesalandy marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Green
Elizabeth Green marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Elizmarie
Elizmarie rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
  • Joy the Baker Homemade Decadence: Irresistibly Sweet, Salty, Gooey, Sticky, Fluffy, Creamy, Crunchy Treats
  • Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Home made
  • Modern Sauces: Sauce-Making for Everyone
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • Italian Grill
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons
  • People's Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn's Coolest Pop Shop
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
  • The Mac + Cheese Cookbook: 50 Simple Recipes from Homeroom, America's Favorite Mac and Cheese Restaurant