Start by marking “The Brontë Collection” as Want to Read:
The Brontë Collection

Emily Brontë

The Brontë Collection

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Bronte Collection. Includes Jane Eyre, The Professor, Shirley, Villette, Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey, Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Cottage Poems and more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Brontë Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brontë Collection

Paige
I love Jane Eyre and as this was my second read-through of it, I still found it just as engaging and wonderful of a story (if not a little long-winded at times). However, I gave this book two stars because Jane Eyre is as far as my enjoyment went. Wuthering Heights, though interesting enough, has to be one of the most most dramatic books I've ever read. The few main characters are so dramatic over everything I couldn't help but be annoyed as I was reading it. I can't say I regret reading it but...more
Samantha
AGNES GREY: So I just finished reading and as a whole, it was ok. I enjoyed the setting of 19th century England (I love a good time piece). I thought Anne Brontë did an ok job of developing the characters. The love story unfolds very slowly throughout the book and then very rapidly in the last two chapters. I liked the subtleness and pace of the love story (I thought it was more realistic). However, I hated how introverted Agnes was. She let everyone (with the exception of her family and Mr. Wes...more
Shauna
Delightful, quick read. Agnes grew up with her father as a clergyman of the north of England and a mother who walked away from the wealth of a family to marry. After Agnes’ father lost their savings in a business adventure, Agnes is employed as a governess. The story relates her experience while being a governess for the Bloomfields' and then the Murray family.

This story is written first person, journal style. So it is full of musings, deliberations and dreams.

A few of my favorite passages:
“I h...more
Joy
So, you always hear the classics being referred to, but often when you sit down to read them, they are not always so great. Jane Eyre was the exception!!!! I absolutely loved it, got totally caught up in it. A little slow to start, but necessary character building in the beginning. Jane is a worthy heroine with strong moral principles, but still has her weaknesses to overcome. I couldn't put this one down and when I had to, I was thinking about it constantly. I also love the style of writing and...more
Cleo
These past two days I have reviewed Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey, by Charlotte and Anne Bronte. I just wanted to take a moment to note the wonderful edition that I read them from. This large (but not too large) volume contains Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Agnes Grey. This was definitely a good book for me, containing all three. Since I really enjoyed Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, I wanted to have my own copy of each book, and I was very happy when I discovered this volume from Penguin Classi...more
Penny
I will review Wuthering Heights (as though it needs reviewing at this late date), or I will forget what I want to say by the time I finish Agnes Grey.

What a lot of disagreeable characters. That I actually read the whole thing must say something about it -- it was well written. Why one would want to write such a story, I do not know. I knew about Healthcliff, the Brontes and so on by "osmosis" -- one can't help it, if you read and speak (to those who read). Now I can say I've read it --

I thought...more
Susy
So Agnes Grey ended a bit abruptly and predictably, but it was a sweet story with insights into 19th century society, expectations of relationships, and what it means to live a life doing God's work. Anne Bronte's writing style in Agnes Grey most prominently showed that she was the daughter of a curate.

Overall, the three novels were a wonderful read. I remain quite vexed with the discordant and dysfunctional relationships of Wuthering Heights while admiring the writing. Perhaps I just need someo...more
J
In recent time, The Bronte Sisters have become one of my favourite classic authors. The entire history and story behind the women themselves is what intrigued me to give first Wuthering Heights, then ane Eyre a chance and each time I am left amazed. Though I have yet to read Agnes Grey by the last Bronte sister I hope to one day. Though they were written around the same time, by sisters years apart then spent many times together Wuthering Heights and ane Eyre could not be more different. Both no...more
heidi
Jane Eyre - not bad, but a bit too lengthy considering the fairly simple plot. That was what I thought at 14, and my opinion did not change upon re-reading this at 20.

Wuthering Heights - the best of the three. I'd give it 5 stars were it the only novel in the book. Heathcliffe is definitely the antihero one loves to hate!

Agnes Grey - 1 star from me. Laborious to read, and not as rewarding as Jane Eyre which, despite its tiresome length, does have its highlights.
Courtney
A great collection to have. Paperback, lightweight, reasonable size, and three great stories.
I am especially glad of the order in which they placed the works. The emotional turmoil of Wuthering Heights followed by the heartbreak of Jane Eyre and the (somewhat) more subdued love story of Agnes Grey. It's nice, and none too jarring to move from one tale to the next, if read straight through.
Helen Graham
Sep 30, 2012 Helen Graham rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, who wants to consider Anne Bronte a mere shadow in comparison with her sisters
Why did publishers put in this edition Agnes Grey instead of much more powerful The Tenant of Wildfell Hall?! It only adds to Anne being considered as a "minor Bronte".
Melissa Frank
I only read jane eyre not the other title. It's well written and poetic but, frustrating.
Farah
It all started when the teacher said in class: "each one of you chose a book to read in spring break" and i was the only one of 29 students in my class that chose this book (maybe because i am the only one in my class the actually reads!!). And i didn't regret not even a little tinny bit! truly epic!
Katie
I have read Jane Eyre and just finished Wuthering Heights. I am taking a hiatus from the 18th century and will read Agnes Grey at a later date. Hopefully the third Bronte sister will not have such a gloomy tale to unfold as did her preceding sisters.
Shirley
It was fun to re-read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, and I had never even heard of Agnes Grey--much less have read it. Interesting account of a much put-upon governess by the least-known of the Bronte sisters.
Melissa
Jane Erye was my favorite and I would give it 5 stars. Wuthering Hights was my second favorite and I would give it 4 stars. Agnes Grey is ok but is very short and I would give it 3 stars.
Tucker
Sep 11, 2009 Tucker rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tucker by: Kj
I love Jane, am impressed with her author, less so with her book. Incredible character, masterful grasp of the interior life and the English language. Not so much plot or setting though.
Meganb.rowe
After reading this book I longed for discussion concerning so many things that intrigued me. How is it possible I missed reading this in school? Reader, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jen
The first 100 pages or so were a bit hard to get through because of the hardships of Jane Eyre, but after that, it was great.
Liz
Yeah, I read it. Liked it. Not as much as P&P, but a good read if you're in the mood for a romantic period piece.
Patricia
Finally finished 3 stories I'm pretty sure I was supposed to read in University, but just watched the movies!
Jaqui
This was my summer reading when I was in high school and I read it again in my 20s
Shokufeh شکوفه  Kavani کاوانی
The Cruelty of humans to each other and the strenght of human nature.........
Kriss
Read Wuthering Heights before, now for Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey.
Nancy
I recall this being gripping and satisfying.
Joanne
J'adore les soeurs Brontë!
Avril
Really enjoyed this novel.
Katie D'Angelo
3 great stories in one book.
Tania
Tania is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
  • Jane Austen Seven Novels
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Hans Christian Andersen: Classic Fairy Tales
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • Deadman Switch
  • The Little Girls
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Penguin's Poems for Life
  • The Baroness: The Search for Nica, the Rebellious Rothschild
  • Suicide Hill (Lloyd Hopkins, #3)
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave / Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  • Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama
Emily Jane Brontë was a British novelist and poet, now best remembered for her only novel Wuthering Heights, a classic of English literature. Emily was the second eldest of the three surviving Brontë sisters, being younger than Charlotte Brontë and older than Anne Brontë. She published under the masculine pen name Ellis Bell.

Emily was born in Thornton, near Bradford in Yorkshire to Patrick Brontë...more
More about Emily Brontë...
Wuthering Heights Wuthering Heights & Jane Eyre Wuthering Heights, Agnès Grey & Villette The Complete Poems Best Poems of the Brontë Sisters

“The clock strikes off the hollow half-hours of all the life that is left to you, one by one.” 8 likes
“Yes Mrs Reed, to you i owe some fearful pangs of mental suffering, but i ought to forgive you, for you knew not what you did while rendering my heart strings, you thought you were only uprooting your bad propensities.” 3 likes