Start by marking “The Brontë Collection” as Want to Read:
The Brontë Collection

Emily Brontë

The Brontë Collection

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  851 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The Bronte Collection. Includes Jane Eyre, The Professor, Shirley, Villette, Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey, Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Cottage Poems and more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Brontë Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brontë Collection

Lesle
Feb 08, 2016 Lesle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, brontes
Next to Pride and Prejudice this would be a clear second for me! A true Cinderella. In the beginning Jane, a homely and plain girl, is treated as an outsider even though she is with family (mean-spirited Aunt), sent off to school and that turns out to be just as horrid. She decides to post as a Governess when she becomes of age and is hired by a broody, Mr Rochester with his dark family secret. Leaving Jane with a choice of stay for love or just leave.
The writing is very detailed, as most all Vi
~Nadia~I survived because the fire within me burned brighter than the fire around me
Wuthering Heights

Out of the three books, this took me the longest to read, and was the one I liked the least. It was very violent, and the way they interacted with each other kind of put me off. Heathcliff is so vengeful, I have no idea what Catherine saw in him.

Jane Eyre

I could not put this down, I loved it so much. I had read an abridged version, and a modern version, Jane, which was really good, and made me want to read the actual book. I liked Mr. Rochester, though he did seem a bit crazy, l
Dr.J.G.
Wuthering Heights :-

For many this epitomises a love story, as love really is. One may decide to be prudent, to marry well and suitably, but when your heart is given it will not follow the diktats of mind and society, however much one reigns it in. Short of raising consciousness and rising above there might not be a way out.

Cathy and Heathcliff epitomise tortured love that cannot let go and will not let social structure or healthy relations dictate heart. They seem to be bound by more than heart
James
This novel continues to be one of my lifetime favorites. I have read it several times before, but this is the first time in the new century. Many people have commented on reading this novel; almost one hundred years ago Virginia Woolf wrote about an exhilaration she felt (a feeling which I share) of reading the opening scenes of the novel:
"There is nothing there more perishable than the moor itself, or more subject to the sway of fashion than the "long and lamentable blast." Nor is this exhilara
Paige
Apr 21, 2015 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I had to buy this version of the book for class and it had all three novels packed in together I'm just going to give a short and sweet review for each.

Jane Eyre - Jane is everything! On my second reading I realized that Mr. Rochester isn't really that romantic, he shows signs of manipulation and his subterfuge with Bertha is the biggest red flag in all of literature. The weirdest part is that I still felt very drawn to Mr. Rochester and still considered him a dream boat and I was warring
Paige
Mar 14, 2014 Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Jane Eyre and as this was my second read-through of it, I still found it just as engaging and wonderful of a story (if not a little long-winded at times). However, I gave this book two stars because Jane Eyre is as far as my enjoyment went. Wuthering Heights, though interesting enough, has to be one of the most most dramatic books I've ever read. The few main characters are so dramatic over everything I couldn't help but be annoyed as I was reading it. I can't say I regret reading it but ...more
Samantha
Sep 03, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AGNES GREY: Just finished reading and as a whole, it was ok. I thought Anne Brontë did an ok job of developing the characters. The love story unfolds very slowly throughout the book and then very rapidly in the last two chapters. I liked the subtleness of the love story (I thought it was more realistic to the characters personalities, instead of being rushed). However, I hated how introverted Agnes was. She let everyone with the exception of her family and Mr. Weston (they were generally nice pe ...more
Shauna
Mar 03, 2011 Shauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, quick read. Agnes grew up with her father as a clergyman of the north of England and a mother who walked away from the wealth of a family to marry. After Agnes’ father lost their savings in a business adventure, Agnes is employed as a governess. The story relates her experience while being a governess for the Bloomfields' and then the Murray family.

This story is written first person, journal style. So it is full of musings, deliberations and dreams.

A few of my favorite passages:
“I h
Joy
May 04, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, you always hear the classics being referred to, but often when you sit down to read them, they are not always so great. Jane Eyre was the exception!!!! I absolutely loved it, got totally caught up in it. A little slow to start, but necessary character building in the beginning. Jane is a worthy heroine with strong moral principles, but still has her weaknesses to overcome. I couldn't put this one down and when I had to, I was thinking about it constantly. I also love the style of writing and ...more
Cleo
Dec 11, 2012 Cleo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These past two days I have reviewed Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey, by Charlotte and Anne Bronte. I just wanted to take a moment to note the wonderful edition that I read them from. This large (but not too large) volume contains Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and Agnes Grey. This was definitely a good book for me, containing all three. Since I really enjoyed Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, I wanted to have my own copy of each book, and I was very happy when I discovered this volume from Penguin Classi ...more
Susy
Jun 04, 2011 Susy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Agnes Grey ended a bit abruptly and predictably, but it was a sweet story with insights into 19th century society, expectations of relationships, and what it means to live a life doing God's work. Anne Bronte's writing style in Agnes Grey most prominently showed that she was the daughter of a curate.

Overall, the three novels were a wonderful read. I remain quite vexed with the discordant and dysfunctional relationships of Wuthering Heights while admiring the writing. Perhaps I just need someo
Chrissymisha
Aug 02, 2015 Chrissymisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre was definitely worth five stars and I plan on rereading some day. I tried to like Wuthering Heights, but Heathcliff was such an over the top villian that I would give it only 3 stars though I felt like the ending was satisfying and redeemed the middle section. Agnes Grey was too simple and predictable, but fairly sweet and well written enough to earn three stars from me.
Jen
Apr 25, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In recent time, The Bronte Sisters have become one of my favourite classic authors. The entire history and story behind the women themselves is what intrigued me to give first Wuthering Heights, then ane Eyre a chance and each time I am left amazed. Though I have yet to read Agnes Grey by the last Bronte sister I hope to one day. Though they were written around the same time, by sisters years apart then spent many times together Wuthering Heights and ane Eyre could not be more different. Both no ...more
Anna Allen
May 11, 2015 Anna Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little disappointed in Jane Eyre, but I adored Wuthering Heights. I have yet to read Agnes Grey.
Alexandra
Five stars for both Jane Eyre and Agnes Grey; three stars for Wuthering Heights. I would have loved a longer introduction as well, but as this edition is so pretty to look at, I can't be too displeased.
heidi
Mar 03, 2013 heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre - not bad, but a bit too lengthy considering the fairly simple plot. That was what I thought at 14, and my opinion did not change upon re-reading this at 20.

Wuthering Heights - the best of the three. I'd give it 5 stars were it the only novel in the book. Heathcliffe is definitely the antihero one loves to hate!

Agnes Grey - 1 star from me. Laborious to read, and not as rewarding as Jane Eyre which, despite its tiresome length, does have its highlights.
Courtney
Jul 11, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection to have. Paperback, lightweight, reasonable size, and three great stories.
I am especially glad of the order in which they placed the works. The emotional turmoil of Wuthering Heights followed by the heartbreak of Jane Eyre and the (somewhat) more subdued love story of Agnes Grey. It's nice, and none too jarring to move from one tale to the next, if read straight through.
Katja Nielsen
It was delightful to have the Brontë Sisters' novels collected like this. It is amazing what difference there is between them, but they are all wonderful in their own way.
Jane Eyre was dramatic, romantic and overflowing with descriptions of nature. Withering Heights was dark, twisted, but still moving. Agnes Grey was quiet and sweet. Very different books, but still great, wonderful books.
Lapsus Linguae
Sep 30, 2012 Lapsus Linguae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, who wants to consider Anne Bronte a mere shadow in comparison with her sisters
Why did publishers put in this edition Agnes Grey instead of much more powerful The Tenant of Wildfell Hall?! It only adds to Anne being considered as a "minor Bronte".
Melissa Frank
I only read jane eyre not the other title. It's well written and poetic but, frustrating.
Farah
Apr 23, 2013 Farah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It all started when the teacher said in class: "each one of you chose a book to read in spring break" and i was the only one of 29 students in my class that chose this book (maybe because i am the only one in my class the actually reads!!). And i didn't regret not even a little tinny bit! truly epic!
Katie
Oct 31, 2011 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Jane Eyre and just finished Wuthering Heights. I am taking a hiatus from the 18th century and will read Agnes Grey at a later date. Hopefully the third Bronte sister will not have such a gloomy tale to unfold as did her preceding sisters.
Shirley
Jul 29, 2010 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to re-read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, and I had never even heard of Agnes Grey--much less have read it. Interesting account of a much put-upon governess by the least-known of the Bronte sisters.
Melissa
Jun 28, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jane Erye was my favorite and I would give it 5 stars. Wuthering Hights was my second favorite and I would give it 4 stars. Agnes Grey is ok but is very short and I would give it 3 stars.
Tucker
Sep 11, 2009 Tucker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tucker by: Kj
I love Jane, am impressed with her author, less so with her book. Incredible character, masterful grasp of the interior life and the English language. Not so much plot or setting though.
Meganb.rowe
Sep 21, 2008 Meganb.rowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I longed for discussion concerning so many things that intrigued me. How is it possible I missed reading this in school? Reader, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jen
Aug 31, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 100 pages or so were a bit hard to get through because of the hardships of Jane Eyre, but after that, it was great.
Liz
Nov 29, 2008 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I read it. Liked it. Not as much as P&P, but a good read if you're in the mood for a romantic period piece.
Tania
Jane Eyre:
Wuthering Heights:
Agnes Grey:
Patricia
Finally finished 3 stories I'm pretty sure I was supposed to read in University, but just watched the movies!
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • Classic American Short Stories
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)
  • Fairy Tales From Around the World
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Complete Fairy Tales & Stories
  • The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • The Wizard of Oz: The First Five Novels
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • The Little Girls
  • Painted Shadow: The Life of Vivienne Eliot, First Wife of T. S. Eliot
  • Dracula and Other Horror Stories
  • Deadman Switch
Emily Jane Brontë was a British novelist and poet, now best remembered for her only novel Wuthering Heights, a classic of English literature. Emily was the second eldest of the three surviving Brontë sisters, being younger than Charlotte Brontë and older than Anne Brontë. She published under the masculine pen name Ellis Bell.

Emily was born in Thornton, near Bradford in Yorkshire to Patrick Brontë
More about Emily Brontë...

“The clock strikes off the hollow half-hours of all the life that is left to you, one by one.” 8 likes
“Yes Mrs Reed, to you i owe some fearful pangs of mental suffering, but i ought to forgive you, for you knew not what you did while rendering my heart strings, you thought you were only uprooting your bad propensities.” 4 likes