Start by marking “Eat This, Not That! 2012: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution” as Want to Read:
Eat This, Not That! 2012: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution

Eat This, Not That! 2012: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution (Eat This, Not That!)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  3,225 ratings  ·  459 reviews

What began as a series of articles in Men's Health magazine has become a food revolution. In five years, David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding's Eat This, Not That ! books have changed family eating habits and, in some cases, chain food menus. Based on the belief that we can find healthy alternatives to the foods we love, the series zeroes in on the restaurant and supermarket

Published September 13th 2011 by Rodale (first published December 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eat This, Not That! 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat This, Not That! 2012

Tammy
Do you like McDonald's Caesar Salad with crispy chicken?

You probably shouldn't. At 410 calories and 19 grams of fat, a Quarter Pounder (minus the cheese) weighs in healthier than said chicken salad that contains 550 calories and 32.5 grams of fat.

I suppose you could always dump the special Paul Newman salad dressing and toss the cheese, cutting the calories almost in half.

When I'm not following Weight Watchers, I will occasionally pick up Jack-in-the Box's Southwest Chicken Salad. Yummy! But a
Valerie
I came to this book by way of Eat This Not That! for Kids: Raise a Lean, Healthy, Happy Child!. I was pretty riveted by that book, mainly because the amount of horrible things in fast food and pre-packaged foods for kids is practically indecent. So when my library emailed me to let me know that Eat This Not That: Thousands of Simple Food Swaps That Can Save You 10, 20, 30 Pounds-or More! was waiting for me, I quickly washed down my Big Mac with my super-sized coke and rushed right over.

I wasn't
Dani
This book is terrible. I read this book during a slow day at the bookstore where I work, and I was disgusted. A book that suggests you can lose weight by making the giant lifestyle decision to eat a Big Mac instead of a Whopper is mostly likely authored by Satan. It also offers genius advice on which entree at Chipotle packs the least calories, as well as the healthiest menu item at TGI Friday's.

Honestly, if you eat fast food everyday, switching from the fillet o'fish to white meat McNuggets is
Erin
I've read lots of diet books over the years. I can spout the downfalls of Atkins and South Beach Diet in my sleep, and there was a two-month period in my early 20s that I ate pretty much nothing but rice and steamed vegetables. But diets like that aren't practical, especially when you're a working mother also trying to sneak healthful foods in on two preschoolers, and trying to omit food dyes and boost omega 3 foods for the kiddo with ADHD.

So forgive me for a minute as I do a happy dance for fin
Emily
This book was good and bad. Here’s why:

GOOD: If this guy was writing as a secret advocate of the fast food industry, it totally worked on me. All I want to eat is fries and ice cream and pasta and burgers and taco salads. The pictures in the book were very tempting. Hmm...maybe this should not be listed under the “good” part of my review.

I liked it the most that it does not tell you what NOT to eat, but what to eat instead. And it breaks down meals from so freakin’ mant restaurants you would not
Zelda
We had great fun with this book as a family. So much so that I went out and bought 2 additional versions. Rick and I keep shooting each other looks and shuddering over shared memories of dinners at Outback Steak House where we would split an Onion Blossom without leaving so much as a stray crumb of breading...before we tucked into our enormous dinners. Turns out that in so doing we were consuming over 1000 calories each...before we tucked into our enormous dinners.

It also explains why so many o
Carm
As I strive to alter my eating habits and head toward a healthier lifestyle, I find myself more and more attracted to things like this book. It features eight chapters of full color, info packed pages--each chapter, with a different emphasis.

The first identifies 8 foods you should eat every day and 20 to avoid at all costs. Yes to yogurt and black beans (probably not together! blech!). No to a Burger King Triple Whopper with Cheese, Fries, and a King size Coke. (2200 calories)

Chapter two examine
Simon
This book was shocking and unreal. I could not believe some of the facts I discovered. I have and will continue to change the way I eat and think a lot better about what this "food" can do to my body.

Sure, its okay to indulge, but these facts are staggering and I wouldn't want my own children to eat this stuff. That is all it really comes down to...stuff.

This can't be food, its just not right, but it is called food and we as the human race have come to accept genetically altered and lab experim
Flora Bateman
I really enjoyed this book. It was so much more than a diet book. The writing style of the authors was really fun as well as informative. Its not a fad diet, instead its full of information helping you to make better choices about what you are eating as well as portion size and when to eat to help boost your metabolism. It contains alot if nutrition information of various foods as well as fat and calorie content. It talks about choosing food with more nutritional value instead of just empty calo ...more
Kevin
this book should be re-titled as "don't eat this OR that."

seriously.
Christine
I picked this book up because I was working on a topic for a weight loss group presentation. Anyone interested in, not just weight loss, but a healthier lifestyle should add this book to their reading list. It’s not the kind of book you sit down to read on a Sunday afternoon but WOW is it packed full of information. I found so much information in this single book that I could have used it to do several meeting presentations (and just might). After going through this book I picked up the Eat This ...more
Colie!
I got this (well, actually the 2011 version) for my boss who eats at Hooters like everyday and wants to lose his potbelly but refuses to give up junky food. A lot of it's the lesser of two evils, so if you're super jonzing for some fries and you want to TRY to be good, you'll learn that KFC's wedges are actually pretty sensible. It also has a sweet grocery guide where it's not the lesser of two evils, but the better choice, period, arming you for smarter shopping. I started reading it and was so ...more
Hannah
This is just my opinion, mind you, but I think this book is stupid. For a few reasons:

1. They call this a "reference." Something you will look to when you are making decisions. However, it only gives you 1-3 options at each restaurant. So, what if I don't want a chicken sandwich at Carl's Jr? You won't know what else to choose. Not a very good reference if you ask me.

2. They don't explain WHY you should choose one food over the other. Yes, they give some nutritional information, but how is the a
Brandon O'Neill
After reading this book, I am convinced that the food (labeling) industry is one of the most corrupt. It is unbelieveable how much they get away with. Low fat may be just that, but when more salt is added to make the taste still be good, is that any better? What I've learned:

- Labels mean basically nothing. Read the ingredients.
- Mayo and high fructose corn syrup are evil and they are in a lot more food than you would think. Read the ingredients.
- The best is to make your own food at home. Y
Melodie
I borrowed this from a friend and the premise is interesting. I suppose if you eat this kind of stuff everyday making the change from "God-awful" to not quite as bad is definitely a step in the right direction. And I know people who do eat this stuff all the time. I try to be a bit smarter than that, but it's good to know what things might take a little longer to kill me when I decide to hit the fast food drive thru!
Yaritsa
I LOVE this book. It's an easy read, mainly skimming but has lots of useful factoids about eating habits and what foods are good and bad for you and why. A lot of the book is literally eat this, not that in lots of categories: restaurant chains, breakfast breads, candies, treats, pastas etc. Even holiday meals. Make this instead of that for thanksgiving, etc. The thing I like the most is that the comparisons are in-line with each other. For example eat this chocolate cookie instead of that choco ...more
Christina
Excellent ideas in this book. The theory behind Eat This, Not That is a lifestyle change--instead of going on a diet, you tweak your diet to consume more of what's good for you (protein, fiber, and healthy fats being the big 3 to watch) and less of what's not (namely bad fat and empty calories). And you don't have to give up the foods you love, or even go hungry. Instead of severely limiting your calories, you just eat nutritionally dense foods, which have fewer calories overall anyway. So you f ...more
Carolyn
Quickly read through this one and the kids version. Both worked as a great reminder as to why I should never eat at restaurants except for very special occasions. Most restaurant meals are loaded with fat, salt, and other unsavory items that I need to avoid. The book is easy to read with lots of pictures and graphics and facts that shock. My one criticism is this: on some pages there were group comparison in which, for example Doritos made the "Eat This" page and pita chips made the "Not That" p ...more
Lucy
During my junior year of college, the new Cougareat opened and I found myself buying a plate of Chicken Alfredo several times a week. I have never liked marinara sauce with its chunky tomatoes and enjoyed the option of a creamy, white sauce that tasted so much better. I honestly never thought about what ingredients might make it taste so good.

Then, somebody (I can't remember who) told me that a serving of alfredo sauce was equal to eating thirteen pieces of bacon. While I have never verified tha
cheyenne
the main idea of this book is to help you find out whats good to eat and whats not. it helps you find the just right foods, that help get full. and not gain a lot of weight, this book is a guide book. for people who want to lose weight but dont what to work out. it helps you find the perfect comintment that you can agree with to help you lose weight.
i can connect to this book becuase if i really wanted to lose weight. and didnt know how i would look for a book like this . but i get a work out
Evan
Apr 04, 2008 Evan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Evan by: Rhonda
Shelves: domestics
This was a cute, brief, little book that helps you to fully understand what you're putting in your mouth when out to eat. I liked how it spelled out 3 or 4 healthier options per restaurant featured, and that it featured restaurant chains at both ends of the price spectrum.

However, what I enjoyed reading most were the last few pages that gave suggestions on what to eat when you're in a particular scenario, such as "When you wanna get in the mood, eat this..." and "When you want to stave of depres
Allison
This book has changed the way that I shop at the grocery store. Just looking at the ingredients, the grams of sugar, grams of fiber has helped me to realize that things I think are healthy are really loaded with additives and sugar. No wonder our nation struggles with obesity and weight control. It was an easy read, interesting and, I confess, makes me want to study more and learn healthy things to feed my family.
Karla
A fun book if you're interested in nutrition, but are a novice. The book has an attractive layout with lots of pictures and interesting info. I'm not sure anyone should read it for the "saving pounds" part, but it is entertaining. There are versions for kids and to take to the supermarket (the most useful) as well.
Lisa
This book is helpful if you use it right. The amount of fat and calories in common restaurant meals is down-right shocking. I suggest reading in conjuction with The End of Over-eating. The later has the why behind why our food is so bad and how to combat this situation and the former has the proof.
Meg
Got this from a woman in the locker room of my gym. At first I thought she was trying to tell me something, but apparently she works at the publishing company and had multiple copies. It's actually a pretty interesting comparison of chain food restaurants and a good dissection of restaurant menus.
Andd Becker
Twenty foods are dubbed the worst foods in America. A nutritional analysis is provided. Trade in your 1,060 calories/62 grams of fat/2,020 milligrams of sodium 12-inch tuna sub for a wiser food choice.
Learn to love spinach, tomatoes, carrots, black beans, blueberries, walnuts, oats, and yogurt.
Michelle
Do you intuitively pick the most unhealthy dish on the restaurant menu?
Take this visual tour through most of the fast food and chain restaurants in America and learn to pick the lesser of two evils (menu choices) that are presented on each two page spread. If you eat out, get this book today!
Suzanne
Was really good. A lot of the tips I already knew (a salad isn't really the best choice covered with cheese and full fat ranch dressing) but the advice was solid. I'd definitely recommend taking along to dinner out or to the grocery store.
Megan
My whole family loves this book! Fun to read, and each page is split into foods you should and shouldn't eat. It is divided into restaurants and foods from the store. Even my 4 and 6 year olds can read this book. Simple advice to live by.
Meagan
Interesting. Though many of the restaurants are American, it's not a bad thing. There seems to be an American food chain insurgent upon us. It's good to know what to do to keep the weight down.
  • The Calorie King Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2007
  • Now Eat This!: 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories
  • The I Hate to Cook Book
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start: Lose Weight, Get in Shape, and Start Living the Biggest Loser Lifestyle Today!
  • Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunches & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories
  • Classic 30-Minute Meals: The All-Occasion Cookbook
  • The Best Life Diet
  • How to Eat Like a Hot Chick: Eat What You Love, Love How You Feel
  • Eating the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time
  • The Biggest Loser: The Weight Loss Program to Transform Your Body, Health, and Life---Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Nutrition for Dummies
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
  • America's Most Wanted Recipes: Delicious Recipes from Your Family's Favorite Restaurants
  • The Spark: The 28-Day Breakthrough Plan for Losing Weight, Getting Fit, and Transforming Your Life
  • SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life

Eat This, Not That! (8 books)
  • Eat This, Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide
  • Eat This, Not That!: Restaurant Survival Guide
  • Eat This Not That! for Kids!: Be the Leanest, Fittest Family on the Block!
  • Eat This Not That! The Best (& Worst!) Foods in America!: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • Grill This, Not That!
  • Cook This, Not That!: Skinny Comfort Foods
Eat This, Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life Eat This Not That! for Kids!: Be the Leanest, Fittest Family on the Block! Eat This, Not That!: Restaurant Survival Guide