Another Little Piece
read excerpt

Another Little Piece

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  4,544 ratings  ·  507 reviews
The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundred...more
Published June 11th 2013 by HarperTeen

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
30th out of 492 books — 2,269 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
185th out of 1,419 books — 9,874 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Another Little Piece is a deliciously dark and savage debut. Please don't mistake this for a typical YA paranormal story: it does not feature any screeching heroines, cliched scenarios, or last-minute romantic rescues. Instead, this is a strange, startlingly original horror novel that is beautifully written, thoughtfully considered, and yet somehow leaves you longing for more. Its fractured structure and ambiguous nature mean that it's not a story that will work for everyone--but holy...more
Khanh (Destroyer of Dreams)
This pretty much sums up my feelings towards this book:

I recently read a similarly surreal book which takes place partially within dreams. One of my complaints about that book was that the dreams didn't feel authentic. The dreams were too streamlined; those dreams had plot, those dreams made too much sense. After reading this book, I would have been glad to have gone back to that sort of surrealism. I've never taken drugs, and consequently I've never had any experience with hallucinogens. After...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Before all else, I feel I need to point out is that Another Little Piece is a weird and terrifying read, and surely not for everyone. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever read before, but if I had to find a better known author to compare it to, I’d say it’s closest to Brenna Yovanoff’s works. The writing is not as gorgeous, but it is perhaps even more disturbing than any of Brenna’s books.

Anneliese has been missing for a whole year, and now that she’s back, she remembers nothing of her previous life,...more
Emily May

This book was incredibly confusing and I think, ultimately, this was why I struggled to enjoy it. The story was all over the place, introducing various past lives right and left until it was impossible to keep up with who had done what at which point. Out of the books I've been lucky enough to receive lately from Edelweiss, this is easily one of the most disappointing, especially because the blurb is fantastic and the beginning opens up what seems at first to be a tense and exciting mystery.

The...more
Blythe
Actual rating is 4.5 stars -- Unquestionably one of the strangest, most stunning, and original novels I have ever read in my entire life, Another Little Piece seems like it was practically written by Kate Karyus Quinn with me in mind. What other readers have said about Another Little Piece is all true--reading this novel is an undeniably confusing, mind-boggling, and downright ambiguous experience. Yet, while those very attributes caused Another Little Piece to be a disappointing read for some r...more
Giselle
Whoa! This book has to be one of the strangest reads I've come across. I can see how its eccentric nature will not be for everyone, but for me the beautiful, often disturbing, writing style captivated me and never let go. It's not the type of story that just anyone could pull off, the author definitely did some thinking outside the box for this one, and Quinn has my two thumbs up.

Calling this book Another Little Piece is quite fitting, as it felt like with every turn of a page, another piece of...more
Vilda
Jun 13, 2013 Vilda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Those who like paranormal (horror) mysteries
Rating: 3.5 stars

"To them I went missing for a year. For myself I might be gone forever. And without myself, how could there be an I?"

As soon as I first discovered Another Little Piece, I knew I had to read it. I mean a girl who disappears after being seen covered in blood and screaming, only to come back again a year later with no memories of her past life. And when they finally do start to come back in flashes, things are definitely more complicated and terrifying than they first seemed...

I h...more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarperTeen for sending me this copy. No compensation was given for taken to alter this review.

'I realised that while they were strange, being so open about their messy lives, they were not a girl with bare feet and a funny scar, wrapped in a garbage bag, who followed a feeling to their door. I was beyond strange.'

Another Little Piece reminded me of Pretty Girl-13 By Liz Coley in numerous ways but did not seem to create the same affect as...more
Isamlq
Mother of Mike! What did I just read?! The confusion! Slipping from one point of view to the next then not knowing who’s talking about what just egged me on instead of frustrating me. Especially when whole stretches of said confusion were punctuated by something terrible (Pink sneakers, I will never think of you the same way again.)

I’m not kidding when I said this was no RIVER FLOWS IN YOU read. IT was paying in the background all smooth, mellow, and never failing to get a tear from me. (the fe...more
Sesana
I can't talk about the plot of this book in much detail. There's a lot to discover, and it's far better to learn the whole truth of Annaliese through reading. This is one of those situations where getting spoiled could entirely ruin the experience. I should also point out that there are shifting timelines, and those parts of the book can happen very suddenly. You have to be ready to roll with the punches in the book. For me, the first time it happened I was a bit thrown, but I was ready for it t...more
Faye (The Social Potato)
Read this and my other reviews over at The Social Potato!

A copy was received in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.

Final verdict: High 3.5 stars

Interestingly enough, I'm finding this one a little hard to review. This doesn't mean to say I didn't enjoy it; I did! I think it's a well thought-out and executed book touching on various elements that would appeal to audiences wanting to read a darker side of the paranormal genre, with a good amount of horror a...more
Emily Anne
Wow, okay I am going to add to this review later. But right now, I just want to get across how much this book sucked me in. I received Another Little Piece in the mail Tuesday and finished it Wednesday (today). This was so unique and stood so far apart from all the other books I have read. So refreshing.

This book is mentally exhausting. There is so much to take in, plus I cried a lot. And, at the end, I was frantically reading and rereading pages trying to take it all in and figure out what was...more
Lady Danielle
Chaotic, creepy, and wonderfully strange. Those would have been the five words that would have came out of my mouth had the second half of Another Little Piece not let me down. What started off eerie and beautifully written turned into something incredibly confusing and frustrating. Another Little Piece had it's high points; unfortunately, the lows conquered the story and made it an utter disappointment. If I never would have entered this story with high expectations, maybe it would have been 3....more
Jenni Arndt
Actual rating is 4.5 stars.

This was the perfect kind of mind fuck book in my opinion. I spent much of the novel feeling like I was looking at everything through a haze, only getting a blurry picture of what was actually going on and upon finishing I was still left with quite a few questions. But I felt like that was OK here. Normally the questions would bother me but I think it was perfect for the mysterious tone of the story and I was supremely happy with the details that we did get.

Annaliese...more
Christy  (Love of Books)
4.5 - This was really, really good. I hope people can appreciate what the author did here.

Another Little Piece is the perfect title for this book. This is a book that will keep you on your toes, keep you guessing, and mess with your head. Holy crap, did I ever enjoy it! It has a lot to offer, especially if you are looking for something a little different.

Annaliese has been missing for a year but only remembers the past five days of her life. She doesn’t know who she is, where she came from, or...more
Rachele Alpine
This was a creepily awesome book. I was hooked right from the start and needed to keep reading to find out what really happened. There aren't a lot of books like this, and I know it will find its way into the hands of my students who love a good mystery that keeps you looking over your shoulder as you read!
Ornella (Nyx)
I'm not entirely sure how I feel regarding this book. It's supposed to be a horror. It wasn't. It felt like it was a weird, strange, wanna-be horror that turned out to be a contemporary with supernatural bits thrown in.

Did I like Another Little Piece? No, actually I didn't. If I wanted to read a weird contemp, I would have chosen something else. I thought Anna/liese was stupid and selfish and bratty. I couldn't connect with her. Franky/Eric was a sick asshole who in my opinion got off way too ea...more
Keertana
I’ve been struggling to put together exactly what did – and didn’t – work for me with this novel. Another Little Piece is a strange story, there is no denying that. Annaliese, our protagonist, is found walking in her hometown with no recollection of who she is or even that she has been missing for nearly a year. As pieces of her past slowly begin to come back to her, however, Annaliese realizes that she isn’t, in fact, Annaliese; she is another girl in Annaliese’s body. And, even more hauntingl...more
Crystal
This was soooo good and all kinds of creepy! I had an idea when I went into this but I was so wrong and what ended up playing out has to be one of the coolest ideas ever!

Annalise wakes up by herself with no idea who she is. She has no recollection of anything before waking up and so she starts walking, but she isn't walking to find help she is walking with a purpose. Something is telling her which direction to go and she doesn't understand it, she just knows she has to go wherever that invisible...more
Zabet The Dark Empress of Dark Chocolate

This and other reviews can be found on Reading Between Classes

Cover Impressions: I like the cover image and the muted shades. The font is well done and reflected just slightly in the pink of the cover model's tutu skirt. I do think it reads as fairly contemporary and worry that it may be missing out on the primary audience. Paranormal fiction readers may simply pass this one by on a shelf and contemporary fiction readers may be disappointed upon discovering that their mystery has taken a very st...more
Melissa
Reading this book reminded me seeing the film Memento. You get limited information about characters, so you get to journey with them on their path of discovery. But unlike Memento I didn't have a raging headache after from trying to keep up with the storytelling. I wouldn't recommend this for younger YA, unless they have an advanced maturity level, as there is some gore and sexual situations that some parents may not find appropriate for a tween/young teen.

Overall, a very admirable effort by a "...more
Lilyan

WOW, what in the world just happened. I tried to hard to understand the ending,I really did, BUT I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

I mean, I really enjoyed this book but, I had to go back and re-read passages to understand. There were just so many names and it confused me. Especially since it switches from third to first person.

Basically this book is about a girl names Annaliese or Anna? Who wakes up with no memory. She has been missing for a whole year and when she comes back she's different. Everyone i...more
Erin Bowman
I went into ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE without knowing much about it, and I think that was for the best. This is a dark, twisted, deliciously creepy read! The story follows Annaliese, who was last seen stumbling out of the woods at a house party in upstate New York, drenched in blood. She went missing shortly after, for many months, only to be found in Oaklahoma, with no memory of what happened that night. No memory at all. In fact, she has only one possibly theory as to what happened and speaking it...more
Navdha
Another Little Piece starts off as confusing.

It ends leaving me befuddled.

The blurb drew me in like a moth is drawn to the flames. It promised mysteries, horror, gore and a tantalizing suspense. Unfortunately though, as is the ending for that stupid moth being seared alive, same goes for my hopes and expectations, being charred to the ground with that ending.

I’m going to recap the happenings of the book ARG style.

Annaliese, the girl missing for an year,
walks out of a forest one night
with a ga...more
Rashika (is busy trying to graduate)
Another Little Piece is one of the most interesting books I’ve read this year. I’ve been exploring the paranormal genre lately, although most of my focus was on Urban Fantasy, and I haven’t come across something this original in a while. Last year I found Nevermore and this year I found Another Little Piece.

This book opens on a great note. I was pretty sure I was going to love it right then except I didn’t. About half way through the book I was kind of bored and wanted nothing more than to skip...more
Jaime Arkin
3.5 stars!

To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure what I was expecting when I picked up Another Little Piece. I mean... the first lines of the summary say "The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series..."

That alone had me dying to get my hands on this - though admittedly I've never read the Pretty Little Liar's books, but I've read my share of Stephen King!

I was instantly intrigued by the plot of the story... and when I...more
Nika (Off to Neverland)
My rating: 2.5

I honestly thought this book would be amazing. The kind that becomes one of your top favorites and the one that you buy and put on a prominent shelf on your bookshelf. But no. That clearly didn't happen.

The book wasn't bad. I'm sure a lot of people will like it. It just wasn't for me. A majority of the book I was confused about what was going on, and then when we found out Anna's secret...it wasn't as scary as it was supposed to be. I was just kind of like...
description

The characters themselv...more
Years ago there was a boy who wanted revenge for something and was granted the ability to have it for eternity. How? He moves from body to body, taking revenge. At some point, he becomes lonely and convinces a girl to join him (she doesn't get revenge, she gets a love curse) and together they move through history, spending a year or two in a body and then moving on (the "moving on" process is pretty gruesome).

A year ago at a party, Annaliese Rose Gordon emerged from the woods bloody and screamin...more
Demitria Lunetta
I loved this book! It is just the right amount of scary. The pacing is excellent, the story unfolds piece by piece, giving you just enough info about Annaliese to keep you burning though pages. The characters are all fantastic, Annaliese’s parents aren’t just caricatures, they’re real and you care for them, as does Annaliese. Although it has the feeling of a classic Stephen King story, it’s also new and edgy, definitely a YA must!
So, I 100% did not understand the end 1 24 Feb 09, 2014 08:42PM
So....anyone else figure out what the hell happened at the end??? (spoilers) 2 66 Jan 11, 2014 09:34PM
good horror books 1 13 Oct 30, 2013 02:31AM
Teen Critic: Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn--->Start Date: June 29 3 43 Jul 10, 2013 12:33PM
  • Charm & Strange
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Premeditated
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Pretty Girl-13
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • Wild Awake
  • Tides
  • Some Quiet Place (Some Quiet Place, #1)
  • 17 & Gone
  • Find Me (Find Me, #1)
  • In the After (In the After #1)
  • Truth or Dare (Truth or Dare, #1)
  • Bruised
  • The Beautiful and the Cursed (The Dispossessed, #1)
  • Fake ID
  • The Murmurings
Kate Karyus Quinn is an avid reader and menthol chapstick addict. She has lived in California and Tennessee, but recently made the move back to her hometown of Buffalo, New York, with her husband and two children in tow. She promised them wonderful people, amazing food, and weather that would... build character. Another Little Piece is her first novel.
More about Kate Karyus Quinn...
(Don't You) Forget About Me

“Confession is good for the soul, they say. I'd imagine this is true. But my sins were too convoluted. And from the little I understand--too damning.” 8 likes