Start by marking “Housebroken: Three Novellas” as Want to Read:
Housebroken: Three Novellas

Housebroken: Three Novellas

The men, women, and even animals in this collection live at the mercy of their hearts. Young and old, on two legs or four, they grope for love and tenderness, knowing that all connection is fraught with danger and all relationship random and evanescent. Yet the heart wants what it wants. The title novella, a wrenching account of the end of love, traces a gentle dog's ...more
Published July 5th 2002 by Picador (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Housebroken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Housebroken

Sab
Jun 26, 2007 Sab rated it it was amazing
The title story in this collection of three novellas is one of the most affecting stories I've read in my entire life, and one that hasn't left me since I've read it. It chronicles, in dogpov, the sad decline of a dog from happy puppy to bitter, angry beast, set against its owners falling out of love and into bitterness themselves. The spare, innocent narrator, the dog, wants nothing but love, and his slow, creeping, puppy cynicism made me bawl my goddamned eyes out.

The other two novellas are al
Lisa
Feb 07, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Three completely different novellas, all providing a different take on relationships. The first novella is quite good, the story of a dog accidentally brought into a home who inadvertently brings 2 people together. Not as sweet a story as it sounds. As each person tries to hide his/her feelings from the other, you wince at what they do to each other. In this story Paris is the least romantic city on earth.

If a story from the perspective of a dog seems strange, how about the real love a man may f
Belinda
Jul 07, 2013 Belinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While there are redeeming qualities in the writers arsenal, the manner in which he writes this book is not a style I love, or even like. Most of the characters are not named, and while I understand it may be to provide an 'every person' anonymity, in my opinion it fails miserably with the reader feeling detached and uncaring about the characters; Although emotions are expressed, they feel vague and blank. And I don't really get why we need to know about this journey...was it even a journey?? The ...more
Jolianna
Nov 01, 2010 Jolianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
dieses buch ist was ganz besonderes. es enthält drei novellen, die alle sehr traurig aber auch sehr schön sind und sich mit den schwierigkeiten zwischenmenschlicher beziehungen beschäftigen. die geschichten sind alle etwa 100 seiten lang, das ist lang genug um sich an handlung und charaktere zu gewöhnen und kurz genug um nicht monatelang an einer zu hängen und am ende nicht mehr zu wissen, was am anfang war.
Terri Phillips
Mar 23, 2016 Terri Phillips rated it liked it
The first of the three books was by far my favourite, and the last I liked the least. All well written and thought out, but the overwhelming sadness of all the books did nothing for my mood. The first was so clever, mostly written from the POV of the dog but the other two did not live up to that standard.
Reuben
Apr 09, 2008 Reuben rated it liked it
Recommended to Reuben by: gwen g
I would give this another half-star if I could. I enjoyed it, insofar as I can enjoy a book that kind of makes me hate humanity. Ultimately, though, I don't think I GOT these stories on the level that one needs to to really love them. Maybe I'm looking for something that wasn't there.
gwen g
Oct 17, 2007 gwen g rated it it was amazing
AMAZING. I can't even imagine how good these novellas are in the original Hebrew; her translator must have been excellent, because they're incredibly rich and nuanced in English.
whoisnell
whoisnell rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2010
bbanana
bbanana rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Rachelle DeMunck
Rachelle DeMunck rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2013
Gital Simkovic
Gital Simkovic rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Katherine Louise
Katherine Louise rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Glen Infante
Glen Infante rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Mira Rozenfeld
Mira Rozenfeld rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Muis
Muis rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Susannah Greenberg
Susannah Greenberg rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2010
Netta
Netta rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2014
Efratrig
Efratrig rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Marlene Rezvani
Marlene Rezvani rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2012
Mimi Sewalski
Mimi Sewalski rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2010
I-Ching
I-Ching rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2008
Belinda
Belinda rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2013
Anne Pier
Anne Pier rated it really liked it
May 05, 2011
שיר
שיר rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Rebeccah
Rebeccah rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2007
Yell  St Karma
Yell St Karma rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Helen Rubinstein
Helen Rubinstein rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2008
FiskGroonsaken
FiskGroonsaken rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2009
Yael Hedaya was born in Jerusalem in 1964, and now lives in Messilat Zion. She holds a BA in philosophy and liberal arts from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and received an MA in English literature and creative writing from New York University. Hedaya has worked as a journalist and columnist for the mass circulation daily Yedioth Ahronoth and the Tel Aviv weekly, Ha'Ir. She was also one of the ...more
More about Yael Hedaya...