Growing Up Psychic: My Story of Not Just Surviving but Thriving--and How Others Like Me Can, Too

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Internationally recognized psychic and star of A&E’s hit show Psychic Kids: Children of the Paranormal, Chip Coffey shares his personal story of discovering his gift at a young age and offers valuable advice for nurturing and embracing psychic ability.

NO one knows more about psychic kids than Chip Coffey, and no expert on psychic kids is better known throughout the wor...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Psychic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Psychic

Ghostleegirl
Right out of the gate, I'd like to say that I am a fan of Mr Coffey, so I think that it's a given I would enjoy his book. I enjoyed reading about his own experiences along the road of life, and how he works with children who have the 'gift'. Whether or not you believe, it's refreshing to see someone who thinks of others rather than what people may say. Let's face it, everyone has had an experience of deja vu, or felt that something was coming. If you don't believe in the validity of such things,...more
Erika
As someone who was already a fan of Mr. Coffey, the fact that I liked this book didn't surprise me, much. Non-fiction is generaly not my thing, but it was short, and I won it as a Goodreads First Read.

I didn't realise that this book would touch me in the way that it did. There is valuble wisdom in this book. Valuble experiences and good common sense laid out in one of the most helpful, and personable mannors that I have ever encountered. This is a book that I intend to have my own psychic kids r...more
Deb
Absolutely loved this book! This one is a permanent in my collection and, not just because Chip signed it with a heart either. I learned about a few things I was unaware of previously. For starters I never knew of a "Walk-in" scary thought there but intriguing none the less and I'm looking forward to learning more. Then there are Indigo children also known as Crystal children or Star Children. I've heard the term Star children before but, that was associated with ET's not the spiritual realm in...more
Heather
I am a huge fan of Chip Coffey and I appreciate the work that his does. I admire his passion to help children and their parents deal with their own paranormal experiences. He has been one of the most intriguing psychic mediums I've ever heard of and his technique is fascinating. This book is geared to children/teens and parents and giving them concrete tools they can use to assist in times of fear and activity. More than anything, it helps assure people that they are not crazy and it helps to sh...more
Chris
This was a book I received from a goodreads giveaway. I have a very open mind about many things, and I enjoyed this book. As a person going into the field of mental health counseling, I can appreciate the fact that all things don't have to "fit" into categories, and sometimes there is no scientific explanation for things.
This would be a good book for anyone who is interested in what it is like to grow up as a psychic. The way Mr. Coffey writes about some of the struggles that he and other childr...more
Emilie
Chip Coffey is a very. serious. psychic. He wants you to be patient and loving with your psychic child. A handy reference guide for any parent, that is if you think your kid is talking to ghosts.

I love when Chip makes guest appearances on Paranormal State and couldn't pass up the opportunity to read his book; my expectations weren't high and I enjoyed it just as much as I thought I would.
Marylar
i won this on a goodreads giveaway. I wish i had this book when i was a kid, it sure would have helped alot. a wonderful book lots of good info into how to not loose your abilities ,when others dont understand and and you can loose them , $ stars. thank you for writing this book. i will be reading this one with my niece.
Bob
if you are a person who watches any of the many ghost hunting/story shows on television these days, you've probably seen chip coffey. he's a friendly, empathetic psychic who sees dead people and relates what they say to anyone who is interested. for several season, he had a show called Psychic Kids, where he took children who had varying psychic 'gifts' on retreats to various haunted locations with the purpose to help the kids deal with their sometimes scary and often misunderstood situations. t...more
Amanda Salinas
This is actually a useful and well thought out book. Mr. Coffey does great work. A must read for anyone interested in the paranormal.
Growing Up Psychic by Chip Coffey

I’ve greatly enjoyed Chip Coffey on A & E’s “Psychic Kids” and “Paranormal State.” He’s a psychic medium (one of the most believable) and did excellent work with the kids who were having difficulty coping with their psychic abilities. When I first saw a preview for the show I thought it would be exploitative or sappy. It was neither and his skill in helping kids to strengthen themselves was refreshing in an era of gold stars and prizes simply for showing up....more
Shannon Yarbrough
I've been a fan of Chip Coffey since his work on Paranormal State and later on his own show Psychic Kids. I follow him on Facebook and when I learned about the release of his first book sometime last year, I immediately pre-ordered it. At just 250 pages, it's a quick read but it is filled with valuable and insightful information.

It starts with Chip's own story and his childhood psychic abilities and experiences as his family moved around the south. Chip also reveals his first paranormal investig...more
Diana
I am an admirer of Chip Coffey's and I was really looking forward to reading this book. I was hoping it would be more biographical, but it's really more of a guide for parents who think they may have a child with psychic abilities. If you're new to the realm of the paranormal and you have a child who might be sensitive to it, this is a great book for you. If you're someone who is a Chip Coffey fan and you've watched Paranormal State and Psychic Kids, you'll find that you've already seen or heard...more
Stephanie Vander Ploeg
Great Read

Great Read

I enjoy reading and learning about things that others may view as different or strange. I feel like after reading this book that my life makes sense now.
Jamie Anderson
Before, i was a Chip Coffey fan - now, having gotten a glimpse of what made this man such a miracle, i think i could be his friend. This personal view of what it means to know more than you should and feel what it really means to be 'gifted', for better and the horrible side of it all, seemed pure and honest. I appreciated the stories of personal experiences and his own perspectives on them. Could there be a continuation of these stories, with some follow-up stories of these same people? That wo...more
Tiffany Hill
I was expecting more of a biography inside of a guide type book. although his experiences made the book worth while
Kelly
Jun 10, 2012 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are interested in supernatural
Recommended to Kelly by: Won it
I won this from a goodreads give-a-way. I've never heard of Chip Coffey until I won his book and I must say that the book is very well written and interesting. If you enjoy reading about psychics or the supernatural than this would be a good book for you. It does have more information in it that just about child psychics. If you're not into psychics and do not believe in them, then obviously you shouldn't bother picking up this book.
Barbara

This author intrigues me. He is a very interesting person, and even more so as a psychic. I love that he works with children in making them not feel different and being comfortable with their gifts. Bringing their parents on board is a great ability of his. Even though the end of the book seemed more geared toward those parents, it was still interesting.
Monique
I ordered this after attending a Chip Coffey Coffee Talk in my city. I found him to be extremely genuine. He is not out to prove anything to any body. I found it refreshing. The book is interesting. I enjoyed his personal stories best. The psychic kid help part was informative. Hope he does another maybe more based on his adult experiences.
Diana
This was a really enjoyable book. I ended up reading it in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down. It tells you a little bit about Chip Coffey's abilities, gives updates on some of the children from "Psychic Kids" and gives you ideas on how to help your children, if they happen to be showing possible psychic abilities.
Susan
A very informative, well written book. Love the "Acknowledgements" in the book. Seems like a very good guidebook, for parents and kids/ people learning about their gift(s); or at least a starting point...to let the people know they aren't alone in this aspect of their being.
Todd Myers
Great book for parents of children who have psychic abilities, even some good points in there for some who are older and have psychic gifts, never to old to learn. A very easy read, a lot of good stories in there as well.
Kira
I honestly don't have anything bad to say about the book, it was very interesting and wasn't tedious like some nonfiction works can be. I simply expected something more autobiographical and that's not what this book is.
Cynthia Fry
Excellent advice and good stories about the author. Nothing is in depth, so if you are wanting a tell all, this isn't it. Recommend to any parent who thinks their child is experiencing anything paranormal
Laura Foster
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was nice to learn about Chip's personal history, as well as cases he's dealt with and people he's met along the way. Very informative and well written.
Cetta Hartman
I love Chip Coffey from his tv appearances and his Facebook page. I had hoped for more personal anecdotes from his life in theis book, but it was a very interesting read about psychic kids.
Holly
I think this book is a great tool for parents and/or children who may be psychic. There are some great stories that are relayed to help the kids see that they may not be all that odd.
Sasha
I have been a fan of Chip Coffey and ordered this after seeing home during one of his talks. I really like him and his messages- he believes in himself and genuine. I enjoyed this book.
Liz
I just love this type of book and, of course, the subject matter. It's kind of instructional but breaks off into little anecdotes. My cup of tea. I liked it.
Lisa L

What a brilliant man! Chip has such a sweet soul. This was a great read. I loved learning more about his life. He is simply fascinating.
Jeanie Inman
Loved it! I am a big fan of Chip's show psychic children so when I found this book I had to read it. He has helped so many including me. Thank Chip!
  • Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown
  • Chasing Spirits: The Building of the "Ghost Adventures" Crew
  • Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Faery Tale: One Woman's Search for Enchantment in a Modern World
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Diary of a Psychic
  • After Life
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
  • Visits from the Afterlife: The Truth About Hauntings, Spirits, and Reunions with Lost Loved Ones
  • Crystal Bible 2
  • Dark World: Into the Shadows with the Lead Investigator of The Ghost Adventures Crew
  • Ghost Hunters: True Stories from the World's Most Famous Demonologists
  • Click Millionaires: Work Less, Live More with an Internet Business You Love
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • The Mythology of Supernatural: The Signs and Symbols Behind the Popular TV Show
  • Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters

“In John 3:7 Jesus says, “You must be born again,” which is generally taken to mean that one must be baptized and/or rededicate oneself to Christianity, but what if Jesus is actually saying that, if you want to get as close as possible to His Father, you have to keep being reborn until you get it right? What if He is talking about reincarnation?” 0 likes