Start by marking “Hana (Delirium, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Hana (Delirium, #1.5)

Hana (Delirium #1.5)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  16,974 ratings  ·  1,693 reviews
Lauren Oliver's riveting, original digital story set in the world of her New York Times bestseller Delirium.

The summer before they're supposed to be cured of the ability to love, best friends Lena and Hana begin to drift apart. While Lena shies away from underground music and parties with boys, Hana jumps at her last chance to experience the forbidden. For her, the summer
Published February 28th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published December 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hana

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
3rd out of 487 books — 943 voters
YA Novels of 2012
110th out of 1,283 books — 10,131 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam
In all seriousness, I bow down to Lauren Oliver. Even her short stories are stunning! Hana is the perfect quick read to get fans like myself even more excited for the upcoming release of Pandemonium. I read this today in one sitting (when I was supposed to be working!) and I LOVED it. :) Anything Lauren Oliver writes is gold in my eyes.

Hana is available for free here for a limited time only.
Hayden Casey
Hana has always been my favorite DELIRIUM character, but I wish Oliver would've given her a more thrilling story. Her writing shines, as usual, but the intrigue was missing because we've already been told everything that happened from Lena's perspective.
Kazhy (My Library in the Making)
Actual rating: 3.5

I was pitying her until I got to the end. I KNEW IT.
Reynje
I think I've said it before, but I guess it bears repeating - Lauren Oliver can write. While her style in Delirium and this companion short story from Hana's perspective is rather more flowery/florid than I usually enjoy, I won't dispute that she certainly has a way with words.

As with Delirium, Hana is once again heavy on the emotional metaphors and similes. Painstaking attention is given to heartbeats, aching throats, unshed tears, longing.. which is fine except I find it does begin to get a l
Nat
****Slightly Spoilery (if you haven't read Delirium)****

Seeing it from Hana's POV makes me definitely understand her more.

I don't hate her. I don't agree with her, but that's because for us, love is not a disease, so of course I don't agree with her actions in the end.

But understanding where she's coming from, how she, and Lena for that matter, were brought up, it makes sense.

The reasons for her action in the end aren't definitively told outright, but there are a few conclusions as to why sh
Madison Seidler
Read this and other reviews at Madison Says.

Initial reaction when I finished --> Oh I'm pissed.

And my real review...

Hana is a novella (1.5) in the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. Told from Lena’s best friend, Hana’s POV, this story falls during the same summer as Delirium. There’s not much that can be said about this in particular without giving anything away –> it is only like 65 pages long.

I loved being able to get a glimpse into what was going on with Hana during this summer because
Bianca
I adored Hana, Lena's best friend, and her vivaciousness in Delirium, so I was excited that she would be getting her own story. Hana takes place during the time of Delirium but now we're seeing the story through Hana's eyes. I was bummed that the fun-loving girl we knew from Delirium is gone, but considering the events that take place in Hana, it is understandable. The best part of Hana is the best part of any Lauren Oliver read, in my opinion: the writing, which was lovely and powerful, just li ...more
Makii
Una historia corta que muestra e otro lado de la historia! La historia de Hana. Lo que paso mientras estuvieron separadas con Lena, sus sentimientos, contradicciones. Deliaria, no deliria? Esta bien así, están haciendo las cosas mal? Es que lo que estoy apoyando en realidad no es así? Y su decepción.... Al final regresa con Lena, para descubrir que ella estaba viviendo lo que en realidad tanto deseaba.

No, no no...no lo puedo creer!!!!! Fue ella? Si es asi las cosas se ponen feas! Una traición...
Nilufer
A piece of Delirium from Hana's point of view. Hana is Lena's best friend and everyone thinks of her as the perfect and confident girl when she's just as simple as everyone else. She is just scared as Lena. From deliria, from the future and life. While in Delirium I thought Hana was the brave and fearless one, this installment proves that she is afraid and even more vulnerable than Lena. She is alone and is fearing that her best friend is already drifting apart.
Living in that kind of world must
jess
This book is fine. It does not stand alone, though. I think you should read it soon after you finish Delirium, while the story is fresh in your mind, but before you read Pandemonium. I read it after Pandemonium. That was a mistake. Still interesting, but not as powerful.

I liked Hana more from the perspective of her adoring best friend. When you are in her head she is more complicated and intimate, but I don't know that it really serves to make her more sympathetic or interesting? I wanted to kno
Isabella
WHAT?
I mean... WHAT???

Lauren Oliver, you SADISTIC AUTHOR.

QUESTA È MALVAGITÀ ALLO STATO PURO. E COSA MI SIGNIFICA QUESTA FINE? CHE COSA????
SE QUEL CHE SI LASCIA INTENDERE ALLA FINE È VERO, IO NON SO COSA FARÒ. HANA, TI UCCIDERÒ CON LE MIE MANI.
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
This book is by my current favorite YA author, Lauren Oliver. Her book Before I fall and her Delirium series (particularly the recently released Pandemonium) rank among my favorite books of all time. I think because of this, I have the highest expectations of her work.

This installment is in the Delirium-verse and is in the viewpoint of one of Delirium's most interesting characters, Hana. We get to see the story of Delirium from her eyes and her experiences when she is not in Lena's company.

Laur
Sara
Kiersi
This book was such a waste of time. Only half of it is actually about Hana; the second half is a "preview" of Pandemonium.

In Delirium, Hana was a delightfully complex and realistic character. In "Hana," she is flattened and demonized. (view spoiler)
Hayley
*Spoilers for Delirium

Probably more like 3 and 1/2 stars, I did really enjoy the experience of reading Hana. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lauren Oliver captures the complexities of female friendships better than any other YA author I've read. Hana is short and can easily be read in one sitting. It is by no means a stand alone story and you must have read at least Delirium before reading Hana. That said, I would say it's a must read for fans of the Delirium series. It sheds light on
Selina
This short story told from Hana's perspective is the perfect edition to a perfect series. Hana has always been one of my favourite characters and her friendship with Lena was certainly very intriguing. Not only does this story provide a further insight into Hana's character, but it also introduces the reader to a whole new perspective in the world of Delirium.

Hana has always been different to Lena and this becomes even more apparent as the reader goes through the novel. There are specific contra
willaful
This is a short look -- not really a complete story -- at what was going on for Lena's best friend Hana during the events of Delirium. (Do not read this first!) I like that it realistically shows that not all forbidden interactions were as sweet and romantic as Alex and Lena's, but the story depressed and angered me and I kind of wish I hadn't read it. (view spoiler) ...more
Sara
This was a very short ebook to tell the story of Hana, Lena's best friend from the delirium story. And while yes, it did definitely fill in some blanks, I didn't feel it was really worth it. If you're going to brach off and write some an add on... have it be a little more detailed or a little longer. I know it was a short story, but I felt like every word I read was predicted, expected, and didn't say much. Not worth the $2.99 I paid for it to be frank. Cute story, but not worth the hour it took ...more
Julia
Isn't it funny how people can seem to be someone from the outside but be somenone completely different from the inside?
While I was reading Delirium, I loved Hana (I really thought her name was Hannah...). She was the funny, curious girl, who seemed to have a strong personality, who was a good friend and who also had an opinion of her own. She was actually questioning the whole system and I thought: 'Man, Hana is such a cool, smart girl.'
Well, yeah, maybe she is. But there is also so much more t
Yolanda Sfetsos
This novella fits between Delirium and Pandemonium . It's in the POV of Hana, who happens to be Lena's best friend.

It's beautifully written and gives the reader insight into what was going on with Hana while Lena's story was developing. I enjoyed delving into her life, but I have to admit that it didn't really offer anything new to the trilogy. Well, okay, except for the very end... which I didn't expect. :(
Vanessa
Great short read and just what I needed to get me back in the Delirium mindset before Pandemonium. I love that this short story was from Hana's perspective. It's funny how you assume things about a character when the book is from another POV. I liked that I was able to learn more about Hana and hope she continues to make an apperance in the next novel.

The last line of this book will leaving you wanting to pull out your hair and screaming obscenities at the book! lol. Can't wait to pick up Pandem
Gabriella ♡
Ma porca...! Non ci posso credere! Lauren Oliver, sei una sadica!

potterican
Katy
AHHHHH!!!!! Hana is SO stupid!!!!! From the beginning to the end! Since Requiem is from a dual POV with Lena and Hana, I had to go back and read this one. I wanted to give it one star for Hanna, but really, it was the character, not the book.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
You don't have to read this before you read Pandemonium (Delirium #2) but you do have to read it. Wow. Interesting to see things from Hana's perspective, but wow.
Amanda (.---.--.-...-)
What a jealous B. Isn't Requiem dual POV of Hana and Lena? If so, I'm not looking forward to that. But I'll say it again, shouting from the rooftops - Team Alex!
Brenna
I think by now it's fairly well established that Delirium is one of my favourite books EVER. I love it. Adore it. And reading Hana was a little bit different for me since I'd already read Pandemonium and was curious to see how Hana would line up with it. By the way, Hana really does fit in neatly just before Pandemonium. There isn't any overlap.

Hana is a lovely little teaser of another perspective in Lena's story, and adds more depth to it overall. Ideal for fans, but I would hold off on readin
Mafi
E já li a short-story da Hana. Gostei muito como sempre, gosto muito desta personagem, mas eu memso antes de ler o livro já sabia que ia gostar da Hana xD Tenho sempre uma queda para personagens que vão contra o que é considerado certo, portanto a Hana encaixa-se nesta cateogria, visto que é uma das que sempre teve contra o sistema implementado pelo Governo, sempre teve contra a cura da doença.

É uma short-story pequena mas que me satisfez. A acção do livro passa-se ao mesmo tempo que Delirium e
Loretta
I had preordered this book about a month ago! I forgot it had came out on the same day as Pandemonium. [Which I read already, Loved. Review HERE]
I turned on my Kindle and had a very welcome surprise! I had to read it. Anything to tell me something about the books I have read so far! I am a huge fan of Oliver's writing!
Hana took place between Delirium & Pandemonium. But, really it took place during Delirium. This book is of course Hana's point of view! You see a little bit into her life. Get
Kassiah
I don't really know what to rate this. So I'm gonna go with three stars. It was okay, and I liked it...but, that's it.

First of all, I want to say that my rating has nothing to do with the writing of this novella. Lauren Oliver uses beautiful words to tell a beautiful picture. I just don't really know what the point of this was, other than to drum up some buzz for Pandemonium and perhaps to get readers to re-read Delirium before Pandemonium's release.

None of my friends have said what this story c
What did the ending mean? 2 13 Sep 05, 2014 12:40PM
the last sentence? 66 685 Aug 03, 2014 11:58AM
YA lovers <3: Hana 3 5 Jul 08, 2014 09:01PM
oh no she didn't! 9 122 Jan 25, 2014 02:05AM
The YA Dystopian ...: #1.5 - Hana - Spoiler Thread 1 4 Sep 30, 2013 11:06AM
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Portrait of a Starter: An Unhidden Story (Starters, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden #1.5)
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)
  • Neverfall (Everneath, #1.5)
  • Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
Lauren Oliver comes from a family of writers and so has always (mistakenly) believed that spending hours in front of the computer every day, mulling over the difference between “chortling” and “chuckling,” is normal. She has always been an avid reader.

She attended the University of Chicago, where she continued to be as impractical as possible by majoring in philosophy and literature. After colleg
More about Lauren Oliver...
Delirium (Delirium, #1) Before I Fall Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) Requiem (Delirium, #3) Panic

“And for a moment―for a split second―everything else falls away, the whole pattern and order of my life, and a huge joy crests in my chest. I am no one, and I owe nothing to anybody, and my life is my own.” 79 likes
“There is only what you want and what happens. There is only grabbing on and holding tight in the darkness.” 59 likes