Into the Forbidden Zone: A Trip through Hell & High Water in Post-earthquake Japan

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Just weeks after multiple disasters struck Japan, National Book Award winner William T. Vollmann ventures into the nuclear hot zone, outfitted only with rubber kitchen gloves, a cloth facemask, and a capricious radiation detector. In this Byliner Original from the new digital publisher Byliner, Vollmann emerges with a haunting report on daily life in a now-ravaged Japan —...more
ebook
Published September 12th 2011 by Byliner Inc. (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Forbidden Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Forbidden Zone

Borbality
William T. Vollmann goes to Japan shortly after the earthquake\tsunami\nuclear crisis in March or April. I'd heard of him and this was a Kindle single for $2.99 and about 60 pages.

Cool for a shortish story, but I had a hard time following for some reason, and some of the writing was eye-rollingly bad and I just can't forgive.

I bookmarked a couple, the most egregious being as follows:

"By now the trees had already started to decompose, so that when they edged up to the sides of houses, they infi...more
Robert
A short read. Basically an extra long gonzo-style magazine article on the Fukushima nuclear disaster.

It's a weird one. The main piece I took from this is how little any of the public knows or understands of becquerels and milli-sieverts and what radiation does or how it works. He spends the entire piece nervously referring to his own potentially unreliable dosimeter. While in comparison many of the Japanese he speaks to seem to trust in their own government to tell them when it's dangerous.

He...more
Hadrian
A little investigation into the hot zone of Fukushima and the flooded environs. Floods, temperamental dosimeters, and meditations on Buddha and the atom.

It feels strange to read a Vollmann this short - I wonder if there are parts excised, and if they will be released later.
Ed
Thomas Vollmann's Inside the Forbidden Zone was my first Kindle Single purchase. At approximately 60 pages (1070 Kindle locations), it's an ideal for an e-reader (too long for a magazine and not long enough to be published as a book) and its $2.99 price tag. Radiation measurement device in tow, the most engaging parts of this journalistic work/opinion piece are Vollmann's interviews with Japanese residents in and around the Fukushima evacuation zone, including one man who was in the plant when t...more
Jim Elkins
A short book or long piece of reporting, a la Harper's, on the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. It has some sharp writing, and it's economical with descriptions (reminiscent, in that regard, of Edmund Wilson), but it also displays Vollmann's tics: he doesn't quite get the right dosimeter to measure radiation; he masters some aspects of the math of radioactivity, but not others (two footnotes disagree on the dosage in an ordinary X-ray); he complains about the amount he has to pay his informants,...more
Angela
The tone is whimsical and tragicomic; Vollman lingers on things such as the weird (and almost incomprehensible) units of measurement for things like radiation poisoning. (I assume he was also making a larger point about the Japanese government intentionally obfuscating details of the nuclear reactor explosion.) Overall, an absorbing, too-brief account of Vollman's explorations in the post-disaster Japanese countryside. This could have been a full book, and I wish it had been. As such, it felt ab...more
Elisa
Usually these Kindle singles are a cheap bargain but they're not exactly top-drawer material.

This guy Vollmann is apparently a big award winner but you can't tell from this weak bit of reporting.

The most annoying and blatantly insensitive question he kept asking the Japanese was: "Uhhh, do you think this nuclear fallout in Fukushima is worse than the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?"

His writing is also wince-worthy, full of bad and confusing metaphors.

I wish he would've been m...more
Leigh
I have been following the ongoing situation at Fukushima, and thus was extremely interested in the latest Byliner publication. The response to this nuclear disaster has a frustratingly familiar tone (i.e., the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico): officials debating without conclusion as to the magnitude of the problem; communities left guessing at how to respond; individual confusion about the impact on one's health, resources, and way of life.

This fine piece of long-form journalism brings the mul...more
Michael
my third Vollmann, although I have yet to read any of top three most famous books, Europe Central, Rising Up, or Whores for Gloria. yet, at this point, I might be slightly getting over the whole name-dropping thing about him, having generously given Riding Towards Everywhere the 4 (probably really a high 3), and reconfirming Poor People at the 4/5. Vollmann Vollmann Vollmann. the literari's name-dropped name, coming up so capricously in new york times editorials or in other non-fiction works. is...more
J. Shimotake
"Into the Forbidden Zone" is an account of Mr. Vollmann's experiences traveling through Japan after the earthquake. Because of this, it is from the perspective of a traveler. He flits and floats across Japan. I didn't get a sense of how people are living, which was all I wanted. He does expertly get across the generalities that one does when they are surrounded by a general sense of paranoia and fear. However, I guess what I wanted was a lot more intimate than was given. There was a distant betw...more
LeeAnn Heringer
I found it a fascinating short read with snapshots of post-earthquake Japan. The American attitudes toward nuclear energy and fear of radiation vs the Japanese trust in their government and ties to their home. It reminds me of the joke about 3 blind men describing an elephant and the description depended on which part of the elephant the blind man grabbed hold of. We can only ever be one place at a time and see portions of a more complete story, but man-on-the-ground essays such as this one help...more
Brent
William Vollman visits Japan shortly after the series of disasters and an interesting time finding a reliable means to measure radiation. He brings his unique examination style to the situation, looking over a lot of emptiness, denial, and much that just can't be known yet. He highlights the government's chosen response as well as the mood of those who were there. A quick rewarding read that reminds of the humanity in the situation and leaves us with a lot of tough questions.
Bryan
This personal, reflective first-person narrative recounts the author's journey to Japan in the aftermath of the earthquake/tsunami/reactor disaster. His treatment doesn't focus on reporting facts and figures, but instead on the stories of the Japanese people he meets. While short, this book is a nice companion to traditional journalism.
Azhureheart
D'un bout à l'autre, il m'aura laissé une impression désagréable, comme le narrateur en fait. L'ayant lu en français, je ne jugerai pas de l'écriture mais en ce qui concerne le contenu, je l'ai trouvé inutile, sans profondeur, satisfait. Heureusement qu'il était court et emprunté à la bibliothèque.
Derek Fenner
For $2.00 I was glad to read this 50 page treatment of WTV strapping on some rubber gloves, arming himself with a dosimeter procured through his dentist, and heading to post-earthquake Japan. An informing and on-the-ground look at the things left bare in our media-scape.
Petra Willemse
The subject matter is gruesome - there is no doubt that the aftermath of the tsunami in Japan will be felt for years to come. However, Vollmann's account does tend to wander a little aimlessly at times. Great firsthand reporting of survivor stories nonetheless.
Jeff
An interesting article about the fallout from the Earthquake and Reactor meltdowns. Really stuff I wouldn't have gotten through any other media source.
Brent
Some of Vollman's sketches are haunting; others are just disjointed and add little to the narrative.
Tomoya Miura
いちいち日本人を小馬鹿にした言いぐさが気に入らん。自分の文章に酔っている感じ。
Billy
he is just a great author
Jpablobr
Jpablobr marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
dingo little
dingo little marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Daphne
Daphne added it
Aug 12, 2014
William T Vollman...: 2011 Into the Forbidden Zone 2 13 Nov 01, 2012 07:06AM
William Tanner Vollmann is an American novelist, journalist, short story writer and essayist. He lives in Sacramento, California with his wife and daughter.

More about William T. Vollmann...
Europe Central The Rainbow Stories Whores for Gloria Poor People The Ice-Shirt