Start by marking “The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords, #2)

The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,876 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Long ago, the gods forged Twelve Swords of Power and threw them on the gameboard of life to watch men scramble. But they had forged too well: the Swords could kill the gods themselves.
Now, the gods gone, the Swords are scattered across the land, some held by those of good heart, and some by evildoers.
One is held by Arnfinn, a country boy who knows nothing of Sightblinder
Mass Market Paperback, 248 pages
Published July 28th 1988 by Tor Books (first published November 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Book of Lost Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Book of Lost Swords

Matthew
Feb 10, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I keep reading this series. The writng is pedantic. There's so many interesting possibilities that could be done with the swords and their abilities (and restrictions), yet very little happens. The characters mainly just wander around, say they're "confused by this new and mysterious turn of events"; and eventually have a minor battle at the conclusion of the book.

Same as last book. Probably the same as the next book.
Brent
Aug 14, 2011 Brent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Not as good as I remembered. The premise has stuck with me for over twenty years, but upon re-reading, the lack of charter development really hindered my enjoyment of this series.
Jefferson Coombs
I read the Sword books in high school. I remember liking them and enjoying having the magic revolve around the weapon rather than a person. In this series I remember liking some books more than others so some of them should probably be rated 4 stars but I don't remember which were the better ones, it has been too many years. This will be the same review for all of the books in the series except for the last two which were published after I left high school and so were not read at the same time.
Patricia Hamill
Dec 27, 2012 Patricia Hamill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
In The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story, Saberhagen finally gives a name and a face to the Ancient One introduced in the First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story to the realm of the Swords.

This story follows Yambu, Zoltan and Ben as they attempt to use Sightblinder, a god forged sword that causes it's bearer to take on the appearance of the most loved (or hated) figures in the imaginations of those who behold him (or her), to save Mark of Tasavalta from a mysterious wizard
Onefinemess
Nov 18, 2012 Onefinemess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book starts off with probably my least liked plot device EVER – a kidnapping. If you’ve ever talked books with me, you may have heard me swear up and down about how much I hate kidnappings – because they inevitably just waste time. Character is kidnapped, hundreds or pages are wasted on the rescue, plot continues. You always know they will be rescued, so the way is just interminable to me. I know, I’m impatient.

That being said, there are a few times when kidnappings work. There was one in p
Mj
Apr 09, 2016 Mj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I was recommended this series, I found these to be a hard read. Just couldn't get into it. Perhaps if I'd read Book 1 first, it might've been easier.
Kate
Aug 05, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Don
Mar 25, 2014 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally enjoyed the entire series. Classic Fantasy!
Melissa
Jun 19, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
The titles of these books is misleading because it's not really "Sightblinder's Story". It's just a continuation of the characters from the first trilogy. Even though I enjoyed it, this book annoyed me because Sightblinder is different than in previous books. The idea of the person holding the sword shape-shifting in front of people's eyes almost continuously for no apparent reason is lame.
Christopher Murphy
The fight between Shieldbreaker and Sightblinder is what makes this volume three stars rather than two :D
Tanglebones
Another one of Saberhagen's (such a perfect name for this series!) Swords books; this one drags in places, and I don't feel particularly invested in Zoltan, one of the PoV characters. Ben and the Silver Queen are much more interesting characters, and don't get enough screen time.
Alex
Dec 01, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
see first book of swords for my review of the series. Its been a while so I may blunder but I seem to recall there weren't any exceptions to the awesomeness outside of the fact that the first three were a little slower than the rest.
Mariana
Jan 01, 2012 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I liked the characters in this book. Also in this volume, many people band together to overthrow the bad guy. There was no one hero.
Bradley
Mar 23, 2010 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like these swords of power series. Very fun and often intriguing. =)
Caerigna Lunaltii
Sep 30, 2015 Caerigna Lunaltii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
They aren't the longest books, but thwy are such enjoyable reads.
Justin Salisbury
This is a rather odd fantasy setting, but I really enjoy these books.
Shawn Oetzel
These are satifying if not overly complicated reads.
Keith Ford
Very good.
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Rob Schramm
Rob Schramm rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
S. Lynham
S. Lynham rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Brian Holder
Brian Holder marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Bart Moore
Bart Moore rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
TONY
TONY rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Dbarron
Dbarron rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Todd Warren
Todd Warren rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Joe Condon
Joe Condon rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Cora Castle
Cora Castle marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)
  • Conan the Liberator (Book 14)
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • The Lure of the Basilisk (The Lords of Dûs, #1)
  • Realms of the Underdark (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #4)
  • The Warlock Enraged (Warlock, #4)
  • The Bane of the Black Sword (The Elric Saga, #5)
  • Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria (Thongor, #1)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Ghostfire (OutCast, #3)
  • The Dragon Masters
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3)
  • Mythology 101
  • All Shadows Fled (Forgotten Realms: Shadow of the Avatar, #3)

Lost Swords (8 books)
  • The First Book of Lost Swords: Woundhealer's Story (Lost Swords, #1)
  • The Third Book of Lost Swords: Stonecutter's Story (Lost Swords, #3)
  • The Fourth Book of Lost Swords: Farslayer's Story (Lost Swords, #4)
  • The Fifth Book of Lost Swords: Coinspinner's Story (Lost Swords, #5)
  • The Sixth Book of Lost Swords: Mindsword's Story (Lost Swords, #6)
  • The Seventh Book of Lost Swords: Wayfinder's Story (Lost Swords, #7)
  • The Last Book of Swords: Shieldbreaker's Story (Lost Swords, #8)