Start by marking “Teaching Your Children Joy” as Want to Read:
Teaching Your Children Joy

Teaching Your Children Joy

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Filled with invaluable know-how, this easy-to-follow guide from the authors of the #1 national bestseller Teaching Your Children Values presents practical advice for teaching children how to take a joyful, positive, and optimistic approach to life.
Published May 1st 1994 by Touchstone (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Your Children Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Your Children Joy

Sara
I picked up this book after hearing Richard and Linda Eyre speak at a writers' convention last October. Their presentation was delightful, and they seemed like down-to-earth, laid-back parents who had mostly gotten it right while making their share of mistakes. The Eyres advocate an age-based approach to teaching children: different phases of life require different areas of focus for parents' teaching. The preschool years are critical in helping children learn to be happy throughout their lives. ...more
Barbara
I read this book because I participated in a neighborhood Joy School for Michael. We did four days on each "Joy" and there were six moms to be teachers. So, I taught a lot of the joys, but not all.

This book can be used as a guideline for Joy School, but it was written to be a guide for parents to help them teach and preserve the best joys in life. It is promoting helping your children's social and emotional selves and not just the intellectual one.

These are the joys:

Section 1: Physical Joys
Prese
Kira
3.5 stars, I did like it. I love the idea of teaching our children joy when the entire world seems to be pushing us to teach them to read before preschool even starts. The ideas were practical, simple, and inspired. I enjoyed hearing personal snippets from their own family life, and I admired their own joy on the subject matter. I found the information to be useful and relatable to my own family.

The things I didn't like: I don't like their constant use of the word punishment. especially when wh
Russ
Of the Eyre's book series "Teaching Children...", this one is the best. It helped open my eyes to parenting beyond behavior and discipline into a world of wonder and joy. The corollary course, "Joy School" was a bust for our children, but this book is good.
Heather
This is a sweet and helpful book. I don't have any of my own children to be teaching right now, but I think the principles apply to and are helpful for anyone and everyone and I hope one day to apply them more directly. :) It talks about the importance of teaching children joy - after all that's the purpose of life, right (see 2 Nephi 2:25)?! :)

Here are the joys that are highlighted in the book (some that children teach us and others that we teach them):

Physical Joys
Preserving the Joy of Spontan
Ashley
With all the push to get our preschoolers academically ready for college, this book is a great reminder to refocus on what really matters. These "joys" are SO important for making good, contributing, happy members of society and they just don't teach them in school. And these joys are very hard to cultivate again once they are lost; IT'S SO MUCH EASIER TO PREVENT! (I'm still having to work hard to recultivate a joy in my 4-year-old that I unintentionally squashed dead....now she is hesitant and ...more
Alisha
meh. didn't really agree with some of their philosophies, definitely think they were a little "deep end" with this idea, but I did like that there were a lot of ideas I could incorporate into making FHE fun when you have little little kids, and also things that can help with family unity as your kids get older. Something that I do have in my periphery for my family is trying to have happy, strong, well-rounded and adjusted teenagers. The influence of myself and my husband will be diminished once ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 07, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with a child (especially the ages of 1-5)
Shelves: my-books-read
I really enjoyed this book. It's different. Not only does the author give ideas for family activities to strengthen a certain joy, but he also adds a story for the kids to listen to or read for each section, and gives two personal experiences. This book lists 13 joys that children need. Some things shared are common sense, but it's great to be reminded of these things. There are also some very different ideas, that I would like to try myself. I left the book with good spirits, knowing that what ...more
Teanne
Oct 02, 2014 Teanne added it
I am only on the 3rd chapter of this book, but so far I am loving it. I will probably be taking my time reading this b/c I am trying to implement it's teachings/ ideas.
So far, I have already noticed a difference in the atmosphere of our home. One of it's suggestions (in the beginning of the book) was to have a scripture devotional during breakfast time. We read one scripture then talk about what it means, followed by family prayer. We also talked about things we are thankful for and it has made
Keegan
Again with my Eyre-groupie obsession: I really like this book and I like this concept. I feel like academics comes naturally to a family who cares about education. It doesn't take that much effort to flow my son into pre-literacy or to introduce him to numbers. I feel like he'll easily be ready for kindergarten in these areas. The concepts of these books take a little more planning or, in some cases, demand more spontaneity. I'm doing Joy School with my son and some of our friends, so it's helpf ...more
Hannah
A nice overall theme and I will likely try to implement some of the suggestions and values presented in each chapter. The stories that closed out each chapter were a little too over the top for me but I get the point...
Kendra
I love love LOVE this book and I highly recommend it. I haven't finished the book yet (cover to cover) - because it has a LOT of information in it and I find that I can't really digest it all at one sitting. This is a book that I definitely want to own and keep on my bookshelf for ready and frequent reference. I believe in the focus of this book - that we can and should teach our children JOY. It has practicle methods that have changed the way that I am treating my little boy TODAY and will like ...more
Marci
I ordered Teaching Your Children Joy when we first started Joy School in the fall but just now got around to reading it (the authors, Linda and Richard Eyre also developed the school curriculum and have written other books). It is not a book with a storyline you read, but more a guide with activities and ideas of ways to teach your children the joys found in different areas of life. The curriculum for our Joy School program follows the same outline and includes many of the same activities as the ...more
E.d.
This book has good everyday practical tips/examples to help our children be happy.
Becky B
I read this book because we're doing the Joy School this year and I thought it would be helpful both as a parent and a teacher. I enjoyed it. I think the Eyres have a lot of great ideas and I love the idea of teaching my children (and myself) to live more joyfully and gratefully.

The setup of the book is interesting. It took some getting used to and I thought it odd. It's flow is consistent and in a outline form. Not important, but it threw me at first.

It was a very quick read and I wrote down a
Brenda Cregor
I was once privileged to be in the audience of a meeting where Linda Eyre and her husband spoke on the theme of this book, and how my children TOO could be taught JOY!
It inspired me!
In years to come, I hosted JOY SCHOOL in my home on several occasions.
Joy is not a concept many children of this generation understand.
Yes, it must be taught...if the lessons are on IDENTIFYING the free things in life whereby we can obtain it...well, as one of my fellow Joy School mothers said, "I've done my job.
This book is very practical and has specific ideas for how you can teach your children certain "joys" (i.e. the joy of physical movement, the joy of serving others, the joy of being a friend). It's an interesting concept - that we must be intentional and specific and teach our kids (either to develop or retain what is natural to them) certain skills so that they may be (more) happy and functional adolescents and adults.
Brenda Cregor
Whoops...same authors...several identical words in the title...wrong book.
Karla
A great book; implementation of it in the Joy School co-op preschool program has had an invaluable impact on my childrens' lives. I'll be forever grateful for having been introduced to the program and feel like I've been a much better parent to my preschoolers than I would have been on my own. We have had experiences together because of it that have shaped the culture of our family.
Sadie
Very good insight into how to help your children find joy in everything from work to their unique body and gifts. I loved the example activities, the stories for children at the end of each chapter, and the suggested book list. The only negative--a lot of the books on the suggested reading list (at least,in the copy I reserved from the library) were no longer available.
Annmarie
For one who wants their preschoolers to learn happiness and joy - this book is a good foundation of how a parent can teach them! Don't stress how to read or write their name - kids will eventually learn that. Teach them how to be happy - because that is a priceless skill that many adults struggle with - give children that skill during a time they are open to embrace it!
Bonnie
A few friends and I just started Joy School, and I am SO excited about it. This was a fun book to read and to get insights into ways to interact with children that can be enjoyable for them and for parents. I love ideas to strengthen families, and this book is FULL of them. And the concepts don't just apply with small children. I'd recommend this book to any parents.
Anne
What a great book. I'm keeping this out as a parenting reference guide. It had so many great suggestions, ideas, and activities backed by experiences, observations, and stories. The only down side is that because I read the 1981 edition, I couldn't find most of the suggested children's books. But this book is invaluable.....especially in today's world.
Delona
This is one of those books that has been on my shelf for years. I have tried to read it several times but the timing wasn't right. Maybe it needs to be a Spring book as we naturally feel more joy and gratitude on a warm day after a long and cold winter. And most of the joys can be more fully experienced in the out of doors.
Serena
I have applied a lot of the suggestions in this book, and it makes me love my children more! I really appreciate the idea of teaching your child joy, and this reminds me not to be so stressed out about all of the other parental books out there, but to focus on the joy of being a mother and the joy of those little ones.
Alisha
I'm not a parenting book person, but I loved this. I plan to buy it actually so that I can refer to it often and try to implement it. In particular I think it will help be me less of a boring mom and give me ideas of what to do with their energy and how to instill confidence and joy of life.
Andrea
Lots of great ideas for toddlers - just what I need right now! There are also a lot of great ideas for family traditions. Some of the stories are a little out of date (I think it was written when I was a child) but there are a lot of great, timeless ideas.
Jarvan00
I finished this weeks ago and it's still on my mind daily. Think I'm going to reread it. Very eye opening. Already implementing some of the ideas in our family and seeing a change. The biggest change so far is in my perceptions though.
Megan
Mar 07, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all mothers and fathers too!
Okay, I read the 1980 edition of the book, Teaching Children Joy; by the same authors. The book I read is no longer in print. This book I imagine is similar enough and I loved it! If you have a preschool age child you should own this book!
Linda Shaw
As a young mother, I relied on this book to help me teach my children and (let them teach me) basic joys of life. We did joy school and made dear friends who joined us. The book has wonderful ideas and a basic concept of Joy that each of us has.
  • The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner: Personal Discoveries of a Mother of Twelve
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Being the Mom: 10 Coping Strategies I Learned by Accident Because I Had Children on Purpose
  • So You Want to Raise a Boy?
  • Parenthood by Proxy: Don't Have Them if You Won't Raise Them
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Contentment: Inspiring Insights for LDS Mothers
  • The Difficult Child
As writers, lecturers, and grassroots and media catalysts, Linda and Richard Eyre's mission statement is: FORTIFY FAMILIES by Popularizing Parenting, Validating Values, and Bolstering Balance. Their latest efforts in these directions are their new books, The Happy Family (St. Martins Press,), Empty Nest Parenting (Bookcraft,) and The Book of Nurturing (McGraw Hill,), and their regular appearances ...more
More about Linda Eyre...
Teaching Your Children Values A Mother's Book of Secrets How to Talk to Your Child About Sex: It's Best to Start Early, but It's Never Too Late -- A Step-by-Step Guide for Every Age I Didn'T Plan To Be A Witch: And Other Surprises Of A Joyful Mother A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood