Start by marking “Teaching Your Children Joy” as Want to Read:
Teaching Your Children Joy

Teaching Your Children Joy

Filled with invaluable know-how, this easy-to-follow guide from the authors of the #1 national bestseller Teaching Your Children Values presents practical advice for teaching children how to take a joyful, positive, and optimistic approach to life.
Published May 1st 1994 by Touchstone (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Your Children Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Your Children Joy

Sara
Dec 07, 2007 Sara rated it liked it
I picked up this book after hearing Richard and Linda Eyre speak at a writers' convention last October. Their presentation was delightful, and they seemed like down-to-earth, laid-back parents who had mostly gotten it right while making their share of mistakes. The Eyres advocate an age-based approach to teaching children: different phases of life require different areas of focus for parents' teaching. The preschool years are critical in helping children learn to be happy throughout their lives. ...more
Barbara
Sep 04, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it
I read this book because I participated in a neighborhood Joy School for Michael. We did four days on each "Joy" and there were six moms to be teachers. So, I taught a lot of the joys, but not all.

This book can be used as a guideline for Joy School, but it was written to be a guide for parents to help them teach and preserve the best joys in life. It is promoting helping your children's social and emotional selves and not just the intellectual one.

These are the joys:

Section 1: Physical Joys
Prese
Russ
Nov 10, 2009 Russ rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Of the Eyre's book series "Teaching Children...", this one is the best. It helped open my eyes to parenting beyond behavior and discipline into a world of wonder and joy. The corollary course, "Joy School" was a bust for our children, but this book is good.
Heather
Apr 18, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, family
This is a sweet and helpful book. I don't have any of my own children to be teaching right now, but I think the principles apply to and are helpful for anyone and everyone and I hope one day to apply them more directly. :) It talks about the importance of teaching children joy - after all that's the purpose of life, right (see 2 Nephi 2:25)?! :)

Here are the joys that are highlighted in the book (some that children teach us and others that we teach them):

Physical Joys
Preserving the Joy of Spontan
Ashley
Dec 18, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
With all the push to get our preschoolers academically ready for college, this book is a great reminder to refocus on what really matters. These "joys" are SO important for making good, contributing, happy members of society and they just don't teach them in school. And these joys are very hard to cultivate again once they are lost; IT'S SO MUCH EASIER TO PREVENT! (I'm still having to work hard to recultivate a joy in my 4-year-old that I unintentionally squashed dead....now she is hesitant and ...more
Alisha
Jan 20, 2010 Alisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
meh. didn't really agree with some of their philosophies, definitely think they were a little "deep end" with this idea, but I did like that there were a lot of ideas I could incorporate into making FHE fun when you have little little kids, and also things that can help with family unity as your kids get older. Something that I do have in my periphery for my family is trying to have happy, strong, well-rounded and adjusted teenagers. The influence of myself and my husband will be diminished once ...more
Kira
Aug 20, 2014 Kira rated it liked it
3.5 stars, I did like it. I love the idea of teaching our children joy when the entire world seems to be pushing us to teach them to read before preschool even starts. The ideas were practical, simple, and inspired. I enjoyed hearing personal snippets from their own family life, and I admired their own joy on the subject matter. I found the information to be useful and relatable to my own family.

The things I didn't like: I don't like their constant use of the word punishment. especially when wh
Elizabeth
Apr 09, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone with a child (especially the ages of 1-5)
Shelves: my-books-read
I really enjoyed this book. It's different. Not only does the author give ideas for family activities to strengthen a certain joy, but he also adds a story for the kids to listen to or read for each section, and gives two personal experiences. This book lists 13 joys that children need. Some things shared are common sense, but it's great to be reminded of these things. There are also some very different ideas, that I would like to try myself. I left the book with good spirits, knowing that what ...more
Keegan
Sep 20, 2011 Keegan rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Again with my Eyre-groupie obsession: I really like this book and I like this concept. I feel like academics comes naturally to a family who cares about education. It doesn't take that much effort to flow my son into pre-literacy or to introduce him to numbers. I feel like he'll easily be ready for kindergarten in these areas. The concepts of these books take a little more planning or, in some cases, demand more spontaneity. I'm doing Joy School with my son and some of our friends, so it's helpf ...more
Teanne
Nov 07, 2009 Teanne added it
I am only on the 3rd chapter of this book, but so far I am loving it. I will probably be taking my time reading this b/c I am trying to implement it's teachings/ ideas.
So far, I have already noticed a difference in the atmosphere of our home. One of it's suggestions (in the beginning of the book) was to have a scripture devotional during breakfast time. We read one scripture then talk about what it means, followed by family prayer. We also talked about things we are thankful for and it has made
Karina
Feb 13, 2013 Karina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me forEVer to finish this book, but that should not reflect on the book itself! :) I have a hard time reading parenting books, because the time I take to read is usually when I am all tired out from parenting (emotionally...and sometimes physically), so reading about what I am not doing does not put me in a good mood.
Anyway.
This is a fabulous book. REALLY great parenting ideas and sound principles behind them (some ideas were a little too cheesy sounding, though). I felt inspired about
Marci
Aug 03, 2008 Marci rated it liked it
I ordered Teaching Your Children Joy when we first started Joy School in the fall but just now got around to reading it (the authors, Linda and Richard Eyre also developed the school curriculum and have written other books). It is not a book with a storyline you read, but more a guide with activities and ideas of ways to teach your children the joys found in different areas of life. The curriculum for our Joy School program follows the same outline and includes many of the same activities as the ...more
Kendra
Feb 20, 2009 Kendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: unfinished
I love love LOVE this book and I highly recommend it. I haven't finished the book yet (cover to cover) - because it has a LOT of information in it and I find that I can't really digest it all at one sitting. This is a book that I definitely want to own and keep on my bookshelf for ready and frequent reference. I believe in the focus of this book - that we can and should teach our children JOY. It has practicle methods that have changed the way that I am treating my little boy TODAY and will like ...more
Becky B
Aug 11, 2011 Becky B rated it really liked it
I read this book because we're doing the Joy School this year and I thought it would be helpful both as a parent and a teacher. I enjoyed it. I think the Eyres have a lot of great ideas and I love the idea of teaching my children (and myself) to live more joyfully and gratefully.

The setup of the book is interesting. It took some getting used to and I thought it odd. It's flow is consistent and in a outline form. Not important, but it threw me at first.

It was a very quick read and I wrote down a
Brenda Cregor
Jan 19, 2014 Brenda Cregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was once privileged to be in the audience of a meeting where Linda Eyre and her husband spoke on the theme of this book, and how my children TOO could be taught JOY!
It inspired me!
In years to come, I hosted JOY SCHOOL in my home on several occasions.
Joy is not a concept many children of this generation understand.
Yes, it must be taught...if the lessons are on IDENTIFYING the free things in life whereby we can obtain it...well, as one of my fellow Joy School mothers said, "I've done my job.
Jul 13, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book is very practical and has specific ideas for how you can teach your children certain "joys" (i.e. the joy of physical movement, the joy of serving others, the joy of being a friend). It's an interesting concept - that we must be intentional and specific and teach our kids (either to develop or retain what is natural to them) certain skills so that they may be (more) happy and functional adolescents and adults.
Bonnie
Sep 13, 2010 Bonnie rated it really liked it
A few friends and I just started Joy School, and I am SO excited about it. This was a fun book to read and to get insights into ways to interact with children that can be enjoyable for them and for parents. I love ideas to strengthen families, and this book is FULL of them. And the concepts don't just apply with small children. I'd recommend this book to any parents.
Serena
Aug 10, 2010 Serena rated it it was amazing
I have applied a lot of the suggestions in this book, and it makes me love my children more! I really appreciate the idea of teaching your child joy, and this reminds me not to be so stressed out about all of the other parental books out there, but to focus on the joy of being a mother and the joy of those little ones.
Candelaria Silva
Jan 25, 2016 Candelaria Silva rated it really liked it
I found the title alone important enough to buy the book. Very pragmatic. The authors feel that it is important to consciously plan to teach your children to have the capacity for joy and joyous living. I agree. We are so often parenting around issues and challenges versus even thinking about passing on the sheer joy of living.
Delona
Apr 28, 2008 Delona rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that has been on my shelf for years. I have tried to read it several times but the timing wasn't right. Maybe it needs to be a Spring book as we naturally feel more joy and gratitude on a warm day after a long and cold winter. And most of the joys can be more fully experienced in the out of doors.
Karla
Apr 26, 2008 Karla rated it it was amazing
A great book; implementation of it in the Joy School co-op preschool program has had an invaluable impact on my childrens' lives. I'll be forever grateful for having been introduced to the program and feel like I've been a much better parent to my preschoolers than I would have been on my own. We have had experiences together because of it that have shaped the culture of our family.
Annmarie
May 09, 2008 Annmarie rated it it was amazing
For one who wants their preschoolers to learn happiness and joy - this book is a good foundation of how a parent can teach them! Don't stress how to read or write their name - kids will eventually learn that. Teach them how to be happy - because that is a priceless skill that many adults struggle with - give children that skill during a time they are open to embrace it!
Anne
Dec 28, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. I'm keeping this out as a parenting reference guide. It had so many great suggestions, ideas, and activities backed by experiences, observations, and stories. The only down side is that because I read the 1981 edition, I couldn't find most of the suggested children's books. But this book is invaluable.....especially in today's world.
Sadie
Jan 14, 2009 Sadie rated it really liked it
Very good insight into how to help your children find joy in everything from work to their unique body and gifts. I loved the example activities, the stories for children at the end of each chapter, and the suggested book list. The only negative--a lot of the books on the suggested reading list (at least,in the copy I reserved from the library) were no longer available.
Megan
Mar 07, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all mothers and fathers too!
Okay, I read the 1980 edition of the book, Teaching Children Joy; by the same authors. The book I read is no longer in print. This book I imagine is similar enough and I loved it! If you have a preschool age child you should own this book!
Rayni
Oct 03, 2008 Rayni rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I don't have a book shelf called lds self-help & don't think I'll add one. It is not a genre I'm comfortable reading. Maybe because my children & life involve the autistic spectrum & mental health issues.
Hannah
Jul 22, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it
A nice overall theme and I will likely try to implement some of the suggestions and values presented in each chapter. The stories that closed out each chapter were a little too over the top for me but I get the point...
Alisha
Sep 02, 2008 Alisha rated it it was amazing
I'm not a parenting book person, but I loved this. I plan to buy it actually so that I can refer to it often and try to implement it. In particular I think it will help be me less of a boring mom and give me ideas of what to do with their energy and how to instill confidence and joy of life.
Jacque
May 19, 2008 Jacque rated it liked it
I only skimmed this book. Some of the things in there seemed pretty common sense to me, but I liked the basic premise that one of the best things we can teach our kids is to find the joy in everything.
Jarvan00
I finished this weeks ago and it's still on my mind daily. Think I'm going to reread it. Very eye opening. Already implementing some of the ideas in our family and seeing a change. The biggest change so far is in my perceptions though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning
  • The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Teach the Children: An Agency Approach to Education
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner: Personal Discoveries of a Mother of Twelve
  • So You Want to Raise a Boy?
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Simplify Your Life with Kids: 1 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun
  • Being the Mom: 10 Coping Strategies I Learned by Accident Because I Had Children on Purpose
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
As writers, lecturers, and grassroots and media catalysts, Linda and Richard Eyre's mission statement is: FORTIFY FAMILIES by Popularizing Parenting, Validating Values, and Bolstering Balance. Their latest efforts in these directions are their new books, The Happy Family (St. Martins Press,), Empty Nest Parenting (Bookcraft,) and The Book of Nurturing (McGraw Hill,), and their regular appearances ...more
More about Linda Eyre...