Start by marking “Three Steps to a Strong Family” as Want to Read:
Three Steps to a Strong Family

Three Steps to a Strong Family

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The methods described in this book aim to help parents give children a sense of security and stability and prepare them for the adult world. It shows how to create a family legal system, a family economy and a sense of family identity which work together to provide rules, limits and goals.
Published September 1st 1995 by Touchstone (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Three Steps to a Strong Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Steps to a Strong Family

Trace
I really, really loved this book. It has some wonderful ideas for promoting a tight-knit family - and the 3 point system makes it very achievable and simple to implement. Many of these things we've implemented on our own - but I liked the way that this family linked the 3 components together...
I took plenty of notes for things that I want discuss with my hubby and rejig a little bit...

I think I want to purchase a copy for myself...
Heather
Best and most practical parenting book I've read. We are already quite a but of these things in our family but it explained and expanded things so clearly.

I specifically bought it for guidance on setting up a Family Economy. Such a great idea. We are opting not to go with the peg idea, but will be using a weekly checklist on clipboards instead. Still we will be following the same 4 peg concept just tailored to our family. Love it!
Brianna
Mar 02, 2008 Brianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to instill values in their families...their children
Shelves: family
I borrowed this book from the library and loved it so much I bought it on amazon.com.
This book is perfect for the stage my family is in although reading it earlier would have been helpful. It takes time to implement this system they recommend.

I loved their ideas:

"And all families, they advise us, need three elements: a legal system for settling disputes and setting rules, an economy to teach financial responsibility and an identity for building strong values and traditions. Unlike many other par
Melissa
I borrowed this book from the library and then reborrowed it to finish it. My daughter thought we actually owned the book since she had seen it around so much. But it was a book I had to really think about. I had to think about what changes we might make in our family. I was especially intrigued with the family economy since I've been wanting to change how we do finances with our children. It was a great little book full of ideas that you really have to pick through and decide what works best fo ...more
Tara
I loved all the practical advice. Plus I think my oldest is at a good age to start implementing some of their ideas.
Marni
May 17, 2009 Marni marked it as to-read
I wanted to read this because the first step is on family government, something I know we struggle with and need to be better at. I'm very happy with what I've read so far. In the intro they mention wanting to use concrete examples because they can either be tossed aside, used, or used to come up with better ideas. That's what has impressed me most, giving a solid foundation to work from, and something I feel has been missing from other places I've learned about family government.

Happy to be one
Hilary
Great ideas with simple implementation. I can't wait to start more family traditions. As a parent I go back and forth on paying my kids allowance but this book has convinced me that allowance is a great way to motive kids to complete household chores. I love giving the kids responsibility to pay for their own clothes and entertainment. I might even have my twins pay their soccer fees with their allowance. I can't think of better motivation to keep the house clean and to complete homework.
Tiffany
Love (LOVE!) Linda and Richard Eyre. This book gets down into the nity-grity details of some of the systems and traditions they have in their family. Three main parts of the book: Traditions, Money (allowance), and Rules. They give tons of details so you can replicate in your own family. The Eyres are inspiring and experienced. LOVE reading about their family and getting ideas for my own!
Ashley
A lot of really good tips. (A lot of the same stories from their other books too). You'll have to find a way to work their suggestions into your own family, but the basic concepts give me direction as a parent. When I remember our family laws..I never yell. When I start traditions, we have fun and our kids have a sense of "home." Read it while your kids are young if you can.
Heather
I really like this author. And I like this book. Very simple yet important insight on how to strengthen your family. This really helped me establish a vision and 'game plan' for our family.

It's not so much a parenting book as a build a stronger family thus eliminate lots of negative things book. That works for me.
NaDell
I liked this book a lot. It had great, actual ideas that I can implement into my family and it was good to see "the whole picture" of why we WANT strong families. This book was published in 1994 and their kids all turned out pretty well, so I'm *pretty sure* it's worth using their ideas.
Jodi
Aug 25, 2013 Jodi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Nothing earth-shattering but some good, down-to-earth advice about setting up rules/expectations, responsibilities and traditions to make a family grow closer. I loved how raising children was compared to painting a quality piece of art - both require hundreds and hundreds of hours of love!
Jodi
I am not sure that I will institute the things in this book, but it was nice to hear different parents and childrens perspectives. I liked alot of the things that they instituted and may try versions of them at home.
Jamie
I've read quite a few parenting books for our foster care license and this had the best information yet! Can't wait to implement these steps in our family. Love the peg idea and family economic system!
The Smiths
I was glad the book seemed to move along quickly. My favorite part was hearing that 4 of their 9 kids were still learning to flush the toilet. It's great to learn from normal families.
Nichole
One of the best parenting/family books I've read in a long time. Everyone should try and read this book. It put balance into all the other books I've read. Terrific!
Natalee
Fantastic ideas in this book. The authors are a bit cheesy, but cute. A great read and I am going to read it again with my husband and employ some of these ideas.
Chelsea
I really should say all the Eyre books are GREAT, but I really have just skimmed them. They have some great ideas and thoughts on raising older children.
Marie
There were several good tips in this book that I would like to implement in my family. I found the first section to be the most useful.
Heidi Nelson
I really liked the ideas in this book and the fact that they are very realistic in the approach of taking what works for your family.
Karisa
I loved this one. I thought it had a lot of very down to earth ideas. My book has so many highlighted pages for future reference.
Tessie
Some good simple ideas on how to implement rules, teach children finances, and traditions.
Deborah Gardner
Must read!!! Fantastic ideas for creating a unified and capable family.
Kiersten
So many good ideas & down to earth guidance.
Keithmorris
Great ideas for raising a family
Mckenna
Mckenna marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
توفيق
توفيق marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Christine E.
Christine E. marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Growing Up: Gospel Answers About Maturation and Sex
  • 10 Secrets Wise Parents Know: Tried and True Things You Can Do to Raise Faithful, Confident, Responsible Children
  • A Nation of Wimps: The High Cost of Invasive Parenting
  • The Strong-Willed Child: Birth Through Adolescence
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Good" in Your Boy: Guiding Your Son from His Tweens to His Teens
  • The Self-Esteem Trap: Raising Confident and Compassionate Kids in an Age of Self-Importance
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • If I Have to Tell You One More Time. . .: The Revolutionary Program That Gets Your Kids To Listen Without Nagging, Reminding, or Yelling
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
As writers, lecturers, and grassroots and media catalysts, Linda and Richard Eyre's mission statement is: FORTIFY FAMILIES by Popularizing Parenting, Validating Values, and Bolstering Balance. Their latest efforts in these directions are their new books, The Happy Family (St. Martins Press,), Empty Nest Parenting (Bookcraft,) and The Book of Nurturing (McGraw Hill,), and their regular appearances ...more
More about Linda Eyre...
Teaching Your Children Values A Mother's Book of Secrets How to Talk to Your Child About Sex: It's Best to Start Early, but It's Never Too Late -- A Step-by-Step Guide for Every Age I Didn'T Plan To Be A Witch: And Other Surprises Of A Joyful Mother A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood