Start by marking “Three Steps to a Strong Family” as Want to Read:
Three Steps to a Strong Family

Three Steps to a Strong Family

The methods described in this book aim to help parents give children a sense of security and stability and prepare them for the adult world. It shows how to create a family legal system, a family economy and a sense of family identity which work together to provide rules, limits and goals.
Published September 1st 1995 by Touchstone (first published December 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Three Steps to a Strong Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Steps to a Strong Family

Heather
Mar 12, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Best and most practical parenting book I've read. We are already quite a but of these things in our family but it explained and expanded things so clearly.

I specifically bought it for guidance on setting up a Family Economy. Such a great idea. We are opting not to go with the peg idea, but will be using a weekly checklist on clipboards instead. Still we will be following the same 4 peg concept just tailored to our family. Love it!
Trace
Jun 15, 2013 Trace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I really, really loved this book. It has some wonderful ideas for promoting a tight-knit family - and the 3 point system makes it very achievable and simple to implement. Many of these things we've implemented on our own - but I liked the way that this family linked the 3 components together...
I took plenty of notes for things that I want discuss with my hubby and rejig a little bit...

I think I want to purchase a copy for myself...
Brianna
Mar 02, 2008 Brianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to instill values in their families...their children
I borrowed this book from the library and loved it so much I bought it on amazon.com.
This book is perfect for the stage my family is in although reading it earlier would have been helpful. It takes time to implement this system they recommend.

I loved their ideas:

"And all families, they advise us, need three elements: a legal system for settling disputes and setting rules, an economy to teach financial responsibility and an identity for building strong values and traditions. Unlike many other par
Missy
Jul 14, 2011 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I borrowed this book from the library and then reborrowed it to finish it. My daughter thought we actually owned the book since she had seen it around so much. But it was a book I had to really think about. I had to think about what changes we might make in our family. I was especially intrigued with the family economy since I've been wanting to change how we do finances with our children. It was a great little book full of ideas that you really have to pick through and decide what works best fo ...more
Hilary
Jan 19, 2013 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas with simple implementation. I can't wait to start more family traditions. As a parent I go back and forth on paying my kids allowance but this book has convinced me that allowance is a great way to motive kids to complete household chores. I love giving the kids responsibility to pay for their own clothes and entertainment. I might even have my twins pay their soccer fees with their allowance. I can't think of better motivation to keep the house clean and to complete homework.
Marni
May 17, 2009 Marni marked it as to-read
I wanted to read this because the first step is on family government, something I know we struggle with and need to be better at. I'm very happy with what I've read so far. In the intro they mention wanting to use concrete examples because they can either be tossed aside, used, or used to come up with better ideas. That's what has impressed me most, giving a solid foundation to work from, and something I feel has been missing from other places I've learned about family government.

Happy to be one
Heather
Jun 04, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I really like this author. And I like this book. Very simple yet important insight on how to strengthen your family. This really helped me establish a vision and 'game plan' for our family.

It's not so much a parenting book as a build a stronger family thus eliminate lots of negative things book. That works for me.
Ashley
Dec 12, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
A lot of really good tips. (A lot of the same stories from their other books too). You'll have to find a way to work their suggestions into your own family, but the basic concepts give me direction as a parent. When I remember our family laws..I never yell. When I start traditions, we have fun and our kids have a sense of "home." Read it while your kids are young if you can.
Tiffany
Mar 24, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Love (LOVE!) Linda and Richard Eyre. This book gets down into the nity-grity details of some of the systems and traditions they have in their family. Three main parts of the book: Traditions, Money (allowance), and Rules. They give tons of details so you can replicate in your own family. The Eyres are inspiring and experienced. LOVE reading about their family and getting ideas for my own!
Jamie
Jan 07, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I've read quite a few parenting books for our foster care license and this had the best information yet! Can't wait to implement these steps in our family. Love the peg idea and family economic system!
Jodi
Jan 14, 2010 Jodi rated it really liked it
I am not sure that I will institute the things in this book, but it was nice to hear different parents and childrens perspectives. I liked alot of the things that they instituted and may try versions of them at home.
Jodi
Aug 23, 2013 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
Nothing earth-shattering but some good, down-to-earth advice about setting up rules/expectations, responsibilities and traditions to make a family grow closer. I loved how raising children was compared to painting a quality piece of art - both require hundreds and hundreds of hours of love!
NaDell
Mar 16, 2011 NaDell rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. It had great, actual ideas that I can implement into my family and it was good to see "the whole picture" of why we WANT strong families. This book was published in 1994 and their kids all turned out pretty well, so I'm *pretty sure* it's worth using their ideas.
Frankslycreative
Apr 04, 2016 Frankslycreative rated it liked it
I read this book to learn about their allowance system after reading a blog post one of their children wrote (as an adult now trying to figure out allowance for her own kids). I guess you could say I liked it because we are implementing their system now.
Heidi Nelson
Jul 07, 2011 Heidi Nelson rated it really liked it
I really liked the ideas in this book and the fact that they are very realistic in the approach of taking what works for your family.
Karisa
Jan 13, 2010 Karisa rated it really liked it
I loved this one. I thought it had a lot of very down to earth ideas. My book has so many highlighted pages for future reference.
The Smiths
I was glad the book seemed to move along quickly. My favorite part was hearing that 4 of their 9 kids were still learning to flush the toilet. It's great to learn from normal families.
angelle
Oct 24, 2008 angelle rated it really liked it
Marie
Jul 28, 2011 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were several good tips in this book that I would like to implement in my family. I found the first section to be the most useful.
Tara
Jul 10, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it
book club book. I loved all the practical advice. Plus I think my oldest is at a good age to start implementing some of their ideas.
Nichole
Oct 05, 2010 Nichole rated it it was amazing
One of the best parenting/family books I've read in a long time. Everyone should try and read this book. It put balance into all the other books I've read. Terrific!
Chelsea
Mar 04, 2009 Chelsea rated it really liked it
I really should say all the Eyre books are GREAT, but I really have just skimmed them. They have some great ideas and thoughts on raising older children.
Natalee
May 30, 2012 Natalee rated it really liked it
Fantastic ideas in this book. The authors are a bit cheesy, but cute. A great read and I am going to read it again with my husband and employ some of these ideas.
Kiersten
Aug 29, 2011 Kiersten rated it really liked it
So many good ideas & down to earth guidance.
Todd Lemmon
Todd Lemmon rated it liked it
May 27, 2011
Irene
Irene rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2008
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2008
Tania Martin
Tania Martin rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Kiki
Kiki rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Growing Up: Gospel Answers About Maturation and Sex
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Yes, Your Teen is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind
  • The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)
  • Tough Guys and Drama Queens: How Not to Get Blindsided by Your Child's Teen Years
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Raising Resilient Children : Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • If I Have to Tell You One More Time. . .: The Revolutionary Program That Gets Your Kids To Listen Without Nagging, Reminding, or Yelling
  • The Intentional Family:: Simple Rituals to Strengthen Family Ties
  • So You Want to Raise a Boy?
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • Your Body Belongs to You
As writers, lecturers, and grassroots and media catalysts, Linda and Richard Eyre's mission statement is: FORTIFY FAMILIES by Popularizing Parenting, Validating Values, and Bolstering Balance. Their latest efforts in these directions are their new books, The Happy Family (St. Martins Press,), Empty Nest Parenting (Bookcraft,) and The Book of Nurturing (McGraw Hill,), and their regular appearances ...more
More about Linda Eyre...