Start by marking “Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000” as Want to Read:
Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  13,380 Ratings  ·  961 Reviews
"Nonstop and fast-paced. Every paragraph has a big bang-up adventure." —Kevin J. Anderson

Suspense, thrills, action and adventure. Earth has been dominated for 1,000 years by an alien invader—and man is an endangered species. From the handful of surviving humans a courageous leader emerges—Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, who challenges the invincible might of the alien Psychlo empir
Published 2000 by New Era Publications UK Ltd (first published February 5th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Battlefield Earth, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Claudette Gabbs Yes. You can purchase it on Amazon & Kobo

William Beesley
Mar 12, 2009 William Beesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Mormon I feel a sense of gratitude to L. Ron Hubbard for coming up with a religion with followers that most people perceive as being bigger weirdos than Mormons.

The book is good fun. An against all odds, buckskin rags to laser beam riches, story of a poor caveman named Johnny Goodboy who ends up the most powerful entity/person in the galaxy and annihilates an entire race of nasty overlord bugbears in the process. Yea it is pure crap but its pure crap with a Tom Selleck mustache
Andrew
Aug 09, 2007 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Don't be fooled by the fact that the movie adaptation was the worst movie ever made, or that L. Ron Hubbard is responsible for the spiritual pyramid scheme that is scientology. This book is the coolest.
Ted Read
Feb 29, 2008 Ted Read rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody and their grandmother
Back in the 80s when I was just a little nerd I mowed many a lawn to afford the then-outrageous sum of $39 for the hardcover of this book. I had no idea who L. Ron Hubbard was back then, of course. I just saw a post-apocalyptic sci-fi book that seemed to be cool and I wanted it. I was a fairly well-read little kid back then even if it was only classic or now-obscure science fiction authors.

So... this was the first book I ever HATED. I think it went off to a used book store years later but if I c
Wanda
My kingdom for an editor! At over 1000 pages, this novel really needed one, but I guess it’s not so easy to edit a paranoid madman (for that’s what L. Ron Hubbard was at this point). He states in the introduction that he didn’t make any effort to contain himself while writing Battlefield Earth and it shows. What also shows is the era when Hubbard did the majority of his science fiction writing. Battlefield Earth may have been published in the 1980s, but it reads much more like a novel of the 195 ...more
Crew
Feb 23, 2009 Crew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a horrible book (and even worse movie). I read it in 2000, so it has been a while, but I remember just how stupid of a book it was. I struggled through every page. I can't believe I even finished it, but i wanted to read it before I saw the movie. Big mistakes.

To get an idea of what it is like, go play with a 5-8 year old boy. Pretend to shoot him with a laser. He will then pretend to put up a forcefield to block the laser. Then you have to pretend to have some weapon that will break t
Coquille Fleur
Post, post-apocalypse novel that goes a step further than most. Don't let the L. Ron Hubbard part scare you, no Scientology mentioned. The John Travolta movie sucked, so ignore that, too. The book is multi layered in meaning and probably has more truth in it than most apocalypse novels. Johnny Goodboy Tyler has been living in his village in a primitive mountain lifestyle for all of his eighteen or so years. The village is dying, with people sick, passed out on herbs, or just apathetic in their h ...more
Pavarti Tyler
Jul 19, 2010 Pavarti Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scifi
I know right? 5 stars? How is that even possible? And yet here we are. This book is SOOO amazingly good. It is detailed, specific, imaginative, technical, possible and impossible all in one breath. The world Hubbard has created here is so detailed it's hard to believe it doesn't actually exist.

Also, for once, this book is long enough. Few Sci-Fi books in my opinion tell the entire story, they gloss over or cut out before getting to the completion of the event. This book does none of that, you a
David
Feb 20, 2008 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People considering suicide, who need prompting.
I Had to Bathe my Eyes in Fire:

I read this in high school as I was curious about many different ideas, philosophies, religions, and had a vague notion that it was attached to the founder of the Dianetics thing and more importantly, I loved reading just about anything. I finished the book and spent a few relaxing minutes with coals in my eye sockets to get the awful plot loopholes, the Deus Ex Machina every five pages, and the painfully awkward rhythm and flow of the story to leech out of my bra
Banner
Sep 23, 2012 Banner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, alien, reread
Battlefield Earth has long been one of my favorite science fiction reads. This is a reread for me. It has a great plot with lots of action. The aliens are some of the most interesting (I would compare them to Niven quality). I never felt that the story dragged, which is saying something for a 1,000 page book.

It is a fun and inspiring read.

There is a "pulpish" element that sometimes raises the quality of the story and sometimes brings it down. Jonnie Goodboy is our protagonist and he is straight
Kecia
May 22, 2007 Kecia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Without a doubt the worst book I ever read. It was loaned to me by a co-worker and I read the whole thing. There is nothing to recommend this book. No redeeming qualities at all. Big Fat Waste of Time.
Mike (the Paladin)
I know but I enjoyed this book (too bad about the movie). I found it a fun read and really there weren't a lot of "hints of things to come". It's also too bad Hubbard didn't stick to writing science fantasy...I mean while admitting that's what it is.

There are some silly touches here (I mean Johnny "Goodboy" Tyler...) but it's also readable (for such a huge tome). Earth is dominated by a star spanning alien intelligence that pretty much rules the galaxy (at least) because it possesses a "science"
sunyatta
Aug 21, 2008 sunyatta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 19 year olds who don't know who L. Ron Hubbard is
Recommended to sunyatta by: My stupid ex-boyfriend who is one of the worst people I've ever
Ha, Ha, Ha.
I just remembered I read a fucking L. Ron Hubbard book!
Bruce Deming
Aug 14, 2012 Bruce Deming rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A luxurious unrushed performance which extracts to the maximum every moment of drama inherent in the original story with the voice acting, sound an musical accompaniment. If I had a psycho hand I would give this audio performance a 6 of 6 stars!

The story starts out in the the year 3000 with an Alien bar scene on earth where hard pressed misused Psycho mine workers discuss the likely extinction of humanity over drinks of Kerbango and shooting mayflies with laser guns. *belch* worthless native ani
Tim
Jan 08, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi fans
Don't be put off by the fact that the founder of Scientology wrote this novel, and definitely don't let the horrendous movie throw you off. This book is incredible! Well, at the least the first 3/4 of the book is. The last few chapters are interesting, but not gripping, as they detail the events that occur in the aftermath of the climax.
Gumdaar
Jul 27, 2013 Gumdaar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scanning the first page of reviews I am baffled. Apparent to me is that readers (if you truly read this book) are hung up on other issues than what makes a good sci-fi read, or base opinion on a poorly done film. This book contains over 1000 pages of smooth rock em sock em edge of your pants adventure set in the not so distant future. Perhaps its the lack of vampire sex that turns off readers?

Purely speculation, but I bet Stephen Hawking after reading this novel would say to himself, yep! This w
John Goodwin
Aug 27, 2012 John Goodwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago and have recently listened to the soon to be released unabridged multi-cast audiobook. I found this book to still be incredibly well written with a high volume of fast-paced adventure (which I like a lot). Hubbard really creates memorable characters, sometimes with a minimum of words, such that you know that person. I also like how the evolution of the hero rapidly moves out of his personal plight and that of his girlfriend and the town he grew up in, to that of a ...more
Bill
Dec 02, 2008 Bill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists
Shelves: don-t-bother
I suffered through this book until the very end - just so I could say I had read it. I love good sci-fi. This is NOT good sci-fi. Unless you enjoy psychic pain, avoid this book.
Withoutmercy
Aug 21, 2013 Withoutmercy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There seems to be an inordinately large number of detractors of this work of science fiction; that for my part seems undeserved. For me, I loved most everything about this book, the social commentary, the science fiction, the author’s conceived universe, the satire and comic relief, the pulse pounding drama and adventure and above all, the sure satisfaction of good triumphing over evil. This book has all those things.

Hubbard was a gifted writer whose conceived images flow through our minds to cr
Rasheed
May 21, 2009 Rasheed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All SF readers. If it's too long try the abridged version.
This is one of my all time favourite SF novels, and it has nothing to do with the author's Scientology nonsense! Also, don't be fooled by the horrid film adaptation.

Read the unabridged edition it when I was 15 or 16. I used sit in the back row in Music class, and read it, but on the second day the teacher saw me. Fortunately, he didn't say or do anything except keep the book during that period. Believe it or not, I am is his landlord now!

Critical Acclaim:

"A terrific story." - Robert A. Heinlein

"
Brett
Jul 17, 2008 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Battlefield Earth is a good science fiction novel. One of the most remarkable ideas from this book is the complete unity of the population of earth. I know that world unity and peace may be just as science fiction as aliens and advanced technologies, but I hope we can make progress in that direction. I just hope it doesn't take a severe global disaster (like aliens threatening to destroy or enslave all of us) to accomplish world unity.

L. Ron Hubbard leaves his philosophical ideas, for the most p
Jay
Jun 21, 2008 Jay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.... ever.
It's times like these I really wish you could rate a book zero stars. I read this out of curiosity but the horrible writing and thinly veiled attack on psychology and modern medicine made it just painful to get through.
Phillip Lozano
This pulpy mishmash of "Flash Gordon" and "Planet of the Apes" is actually fairly enjoyable light adventure for a good portion, but it eventually collapses under the ponderous weight of Hubbard's ceaseless moralizing and bloated sense of self-importance. The main character is named Jonny Goodboy Tyler, for Glob's sake - Hubbard's self-consciously on-the-nose reaction to Luke Skywalker, written with the aim of turning the thick tome into a "major motion picture," as the jacket copy proclaimed for ...more
Zeke
Mar 09, 2010 Zeke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is epic. I have read and re-read this one a number of times and each time it has been a blast. The setting and premise of the story is one of my favorites. Humanity has been nearly wiped out and Earth dominated by a dominant alien race. But the fun of it all is that the Earth was conquered merely for its mineral wealth. It is, in essence, a backwater hole-in-the-wall, occupied by a handfull of alien laborers and a few middle mangers. Humanity was all but wiped out without so much as a ...more
Edwin Stratton-Mackay
Total dogshit.

Scientologists must - repeat MUST - give this book good reviews and say how well written it is. They are not permitted to disparage L. Ron Hubbard or any of his works.
Peter
Aug 28, 2013 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly godawful drivel. Worse than drivel. Complete and utter garbage. It's hard to say which aspects are worse:the ones Hubbard copied from other writers, or e more elements that he seems to have come up with on his own. I have no major problem with plot well,nets that are reinterpreted form other people's works. There is, after all, very little that is new under the Sun, and Sci Fi is -- often to its benefit -- populated largely by borrowed themes and ideas and archetypal characters who act as ...more
Tracy
Oct 17, 2016 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This was a 47+ hour audiobook that is a full audio production with sound effects, a cast of some 100 actors doing voice over for all the different characters and 3 hours of special music between chapters. Needless to say it's quite the production!

You can read the synopsis for the basic story line but suffice it to say the year is 3000 and Earth has been attacked, demolished and is being mined for valuable metals by an alien race... There are some humans alive and surviving outside of Denver Col
Mark Mc*****
Aug 10, 2010 Mark Mc***** rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Before L. Ron Hubbard went bat sh@t and decided to write pseudo-religious books convince people that they are under the influence of cosmic beings abandoned on earth by an evil emperor. He was, at one point, a terrific Sci-Fi writer. Battlefield earth is a crowning achievement in epic Sci-Fi drama. A plethora of well developed characters weave a futuristic tale of mankind so long ruled by an alien species that their own history is a myth. Until one man, kept as a pet, decides to learn their lang ...more
Kaus Wei
Mar 13, 2012 Kaus Wei rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Kaus by: Gag Christmas gift
Shelves: regret-reading
I pride myself on finishing a book, regardless of its difficulties. This book though--this book defeated me. I managed to get halfway through it (only finally giving up the ghost at the mail-in card that would get me a copy of Dyanetics), but the combination of shallow, uninteresting characters, a tedious writing style, and the book's absurd length, did me in.

Maybe--just maybe, if it had been subjected to the impartial hand of an editor (any editor!), it could have been--if not a good story, at
Fred Forbes
Nov 24, 2016 Fred Forbes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a note from Galaxy Press asking if I would be interested in reviewing a special "21st Century" edition of this science fiction classic in return for an honest review. I indicated that I had read the book many moons ago and enjoyed it and they said they did not mind so back into it I went. They have added new cover art by Frazetta, added handwritten notes by Hubbard as he researched the book and included the last interview done by Hubbard.

Well, the book is as good I as I remembered (pi
Alan Gilfoy
Oct 16, 2013 Alan Gilfoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a copy of this in a box of books left out at the curb. I've heard the usual comments about Scientology; I figured I'd read this just to see how bad it was. It was surprisingly good. It was at least a fun page turner for the most part, necessary when there are so many pages to turn. I suppose L. Ron Hubbard must've been a good science fiction writer to come up with that Xenu stuff.

The foreword and postword were self-aggrandizing, but the text of the story itself was not annoying in such a
  • One Lonely Night
  • Mulengro
  • Trustee from the Toolroom
  • The Cunning Man (Toronto Trilogy, #2)
  • Cradle
  • Statesman (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #5)
  • Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4)
  • Citizen of the Galaxy
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • The Weapon
  • Star Wars: The National Public Radio Dramatization
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • Prisoner's Hope (Seafort Saga, #3)
  • Temporary Duty
  • The Worm Ouroboros
  • TekWar (TekWar, #1)
With 19 New York Times bestsellers and more than 350 million copies of his works in circulation, L. Ron Hubbard is among the most acclaimed and widely read authors of our time. As a leading light of American Pulp Fiction through the 1930s and ’40s, he is further among the most influential authors of the modern age. Indeed, from Ray Bradbury to Stephen King, there is scarcely a master of imaginativ ...more
More about L. Ron Hubbard...

“Man,” said Terl, “is an endangered species.” 1 likes
“Jonnie Goodboy Tyler. Conqueror of Psychlos.' Brown Limper spat on the bill.
He suddenly seized the bill and tore it frantically into little pieces.
Then he threw the pieces around with angry gestures.
After that he gathered them all up again and, with a set, malevolent expression on his face, burned them.
Then he pulverized the ashes with his fist. But somebody came in soon after and said with a delighted smile, “Have you seen the new bank note?” And waved one!
Brown Limper rushed out of the room and found a place to vomit.”
0 likes