Start by marking “The Smartest Money Book You'll Ever Read: Everything You Need to Know About Growing, Spending, and Enjoying Your Money” as Want to Read:

Stop working for money
and put your money to work for you!
Tens of thousands of readers trust Dan Solin's advice when it comes to investing, managing their 401(k)s, and planning for retirement. Now Solin offers the smartest guide to money management and financial planning yet.

From managing your debt, boosting your savings, and owning (or renting) a home to buying insuranc
Published December 27th 2011 by Perigee Books (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Smartest Money Book You'll Ever Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smartest Money Book You'll Ever Read

Joshua C Liston
Nov 13, 2015 Joshua C Liston rated it really liked it
Seemed to wander a little more than his other work, but still cream of the money-book-crop!
Lin
Nov 04, 2016 Lin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of mint.com
Shelves: non-fiction
Because I am of a certain age, I am not a fan of mint.com. The cover of this book has a seal of approval saying “endorsed by mint.com” I should say so! This book may as well have been written by mint.com for all the “mint hints”, which are available to mint users and therefore, useless to me. I wonder if Mr. Solin received compensation for the endorsement. If you like mint.com, you will probably love this book.
I did find some value in the material presented and perhaps I will try one of his oth
Mark
May 30, 2013 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enlightening
The Richest Man in Babylon is general principles that apply in any economy, The Smartest Money Book You'll Ever Read is specific advice for modern Americans. Exhaustive in scope, no one person needs all of this advice, but everyone could probably use some of it.

It seems that most financial advice writers have one piece of advice that they consider to be of paramount importance, and they feel the only way to impress their audience with the importance of this advice is to repeat it in the same wor
Malin Friess
Oct 05, 2015 Malin Friess rated it really liked it
Solin provides more information on budgeting, paying down debt, buying a house..with some repeat information on investing, financial advisors, wills, and insuring yourself and your family.

1- Save 7-10% of your gross (pre-tax) income.
2- 95% of actively managed funds fail to match their market indexes
3- Devote no more than 25% of your income to housing costs (mortgage, insurance, tax, utilities)
4- How much do you need to retire? Experts say 75% of pre-retirement income (that seems high considerin
steph
It had too much in it to be truly effective. It had only like 230 pages but 47 chapters so you can understand how everything is shortened and condensed. It's a great book if you are just starting to read finance and aren't really sure of everything just yet because it gives a good overview of a lot (debt, retirement, owning a home, life insurance, investing, estate planning etc). But if you are looking for a finance book that is more detailed in specific areas geared to your needs, I'd recommend ...more
Libby
Feb 10, 2013 Libby rated it it was amazing
This is a great intro summary into all aspects of personal finance stuff (and a great review if it's been a while since you have paid attention to your own finances). I think this is a must read for everyone to have a basic knowledge of personal finance and to be aware of how to plan for your financial future.
Barbara
Mar 05, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
A helpful guide to any financial questions one might have. the author gives many helpful tips in a no nonsense manner. Many of his tips we already know; pay off all credit cards, starting with the highest first. He suggests the only accepatble debt is mortgage debt and gives the website www.mint.com for all money matters.
Shari Henry
Jan 14, 2013 Shari Henry rated it liked it
This little book is full of good information, particularly for the beginning to intermediate financial mind. The charts, tables, and bullet points are particularly helpful. The ubiquitous "Mint Hints" are somewhat of a distraction, though if you are a Mint user, you'd likely find them helpful.
Lori (Lara Britt) Sailiata
Hyperbolic title, but the contents live up to that hype. Terrific overview of personal financial issues. Solid advice. I particularly liked it because I have just started using mint.com which he recommends and highlights throughout the book.
Frank
Jan 14, 2015 Frank rated it it was amazing
This is a good introductory book and full of good insight. I read others books by Daniel Solin and he seems to care to pass the message.

This is why I rated the book 5 starts, for it plants a seed, and it reaches out to a broad audience.
Estelle Vasile
Jul 25, 2016 Estelle Vasile rated it really liked it
Very informative for beginner investors. It covers many areas but you can skip the chapter not applicable to you. Oh so many mint hints that I had to check out the website. They can be annoying but also helpful.
Jeannie
Aug 09, 2012 Jeannie rated it liked it
Smart but simple. These are really just tips, there's no depth to the content. A good place to get started on financial literacy though. He heavily pushes the Mint.com tool, which would be fine except for the endorsement by Mint on the front cover.
Tric
May 12, 2016 Tric rated it it was ok
It lays an approachable foundation but I don't agree with some of the stuff he advices. Foremost being on 401(k) loans. I think they are a bad idea all around. I can't think of a good reason to jeopardize my retirement.
Pam
Jul 04, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
For the most part, this book made sense to me. I started to glaze over during the last 25% of the book when it got to the information about what to do in retirement. As a student on a minimal income, I just can't spend my brainpower thinking about that yet. Maybe once I get a "real job"...
Michael Jeanmary
It provided enough information for me to know whether or now I wanted to continue researching and studying a particular topic.
Stephanie
Sep 09, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
Great overview of a very broad subject. If you care to learn more, the author provides leads to start your search. Else, this is just enough to set a firm financial foundation.
Emily Reagan
Nov 24, 2015 Emily Reagan rated it really liked it
A good basic understanding of finances, mutual funds, questions to ask and think about! Nice short chapters great references
Amanda
Mar 15, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
Meh. If I had money to invest, I think this book would come in handy. Seeing how I don't, well, doesn't really apply to me.
Blake
Aug 04, 2014 Blake rated it it was ok
This book is very broad but not very deep. It covers a lot of personal finance material without giving very strong opinions on any topics. I learned a bit from it, but it wasn't great.
Sep 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Not really any new information in here. I preferred David Bach's book, because I think it explains things a little better.
Wes
Apr 27, 2015 Wes rated it liked it
the investment topics were new to me, thus more useful. overall it was a light dip into too many topics.
Linda
Feb 14, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: advice
Simple to understand and well-written. I must be "smartest" too because I learned very little from reading this book but it would be very useful for those less financially literate.
Tyler
Tyler rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Caryn-Amy
Caryn-Amy rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Nelly
Nelly rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Josh Davis
Josh Davis rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Katrina Misley
Katrina Misley rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Patrick Jordan
Patrick Jordan rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • How to Talk So People Will Listen
  • The Real Cost of Living: Making the Best Choices for You, Your Life, and Your Money
  • Beat Sugar Addiction Now!
  • Gardening in Miniature:  Create Your Own Tiny Living World
  • Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Learn Coupon Strategies to Save $1000s at the Grocery Store
  • Lose It!: The Personalized Weight Loss Revolution
  • Travel Writing: See the World. Sell the Story.
  • Kids Beyond Limits: The Anat Baniel Method for Awakening the Brain and Transforming the Life of Your  Child With Special Needs
  • Urban Sketching: The Complete Guide to Techniques
  • Get It Together: Organize Your Records So Your Family Won't Have To
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • Living with Less: How to downsize to 100 personal possessions
  • To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop
  • Making the Most of Your Money Now (Revised)
  • Confessions of a Scholarship Winner: The Secrets That Helped Me Win $500,000 in Free Money for College. How You Can Too.
  • Think, Act, and Invest Like Warren Buffett: The Winning Strategy to Help You Achieve Your Financial and Life Goals
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
1945530
Dan Solin is the New York Times bestselling author of the Smartest series of investing books. Dan’s books have been enthusiastically endorsed by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Vanguard founder John Bogle. Kiplinger’s listed The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read on its top ten list of the best financial books ever written. He also writes financial blogs for The Huffington ...more
More about Daniel R. Solin...