Start by marking “Extra Innings: More Baseball Between the Numbers from the Team at Baseball Prospectus” as Want to Read:

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In 1996, a brassy young team of fansproduced a guide to baseball statistics.Printed on a photocopier, its distribution,which was in the low hundreds, was limited tofriends, family, and die-hard stat heads. Sixteenyears later, the Baseball Prospectus annualregularly hits best-seller lists and has becomean indispensable guide for the serious fan.

In Extra Innings, the team a...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Basic Books (first published February 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Extra Innings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extra Innings

Dijon Chiasson
Despite being tedious at points and typo-ridden, Extra Innings was ultimately extremely insightful. It may not have hit a home run, but it was a nice piece of basehitting.
James
With teams, particularly those working under smaller budgets, seeking any advantage, organizations have embraced non-traditional statistics as a means to identify new approaches in the post-Moneyball world. This, of course, makes the folks at Baseball Prospectus happy, because if there’s anything they love more than a new stat, it’s asking thought-provoking questions that force people to rethink long-held beliefs about what works and what doesn’t.

The overall theme of this book is how best to con...more
John Lee
Definitely a step up from Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong, simply because it's much more modern. This book covers all seasons up until 2011, making for a much more relevant experience. This is another very friendly guide to sabermetric thought, though it covers many more interesting topics and isn't as much about statistical manipulation as the first book was. It really is, as the title states, "extra". However, this doesn't mean that it's bad in any...more
Arlo Lyle
I didn't like this as much as Baseball Prospectus' previous book, Baseball Between The Numbers. There is still quite a bit of math in this book, and in a few cases math that I would need to freshen up on to fully understand the equations used. However, this book seems to be trying to appeal to a larger audience. As such, much of the math is explained away or added as an afterthought. This is unfortunate. I'm currently reading ex-Baseball Prospectus employee Nate Silver's book The Signal and the...more
Nelson
Another good update. Some chapters were amazing.

Exciting stuff like Pitch f/x, pitcher injury analysis, steroids, nanotechnological athlete enhancement, juiced ball physics, and bat physics, signal that baseball analytics is moving towards in a hard science direction, as much of what is to be discovered through bare-bone statistical analysis has been exhausted.

A couple of chapters by Jason Parks on Scouting Latin American players and scouting players in general, here at the top sabermetric com...more
Frank
It's possible I would have given this a higher grade a few years ago. Now, I skipped a lot of the chapters, not having the patience to hack through the dense statistics and dry writing. The work presented is fascinating, but the presentation leaves a lot of runners on base. It's what always set Bill James apart from his peers.
Jason Hall
Extra Innings is an excellent follow-up to Baseball Between the Numbers. In many ways, it is superior to it's predecessor. Especially informative were the chapters by Jason Parks on scouting and player development. Colin Wyers brings us up to date on the state of fielding metrics (hint: we have a long way to go), and there are excellent chapters on the amateur draft and what we should make of the "steroid era." I can't imagine there could be a baseball fan who wouldn't enjoy this book. I only ha...more
Fred Forbes
No. I didn't read it in a day, just noticed when I finished that I had forgotten to add it to the list. I am a baseball fan and have an interest in numbers and statistics but this book based on the statistical analysis of baseball is definitely overkill. I am not surprised at it's popularity given the rise of the "Moneyball" style of management, but I am not sure I want to know there is a database being generated for every pitch thrown in major league ball with regard to result, speed, location,...more
Ray
There were a lot of typo errors in the book but it continued the discussion from the previous book by Baseball Prospectus "Baseball Between the Numbers" quite well. It explained a lot of the terms of Sabremetrics such as Warp, FIP, OPS, etc. This is the way baseball is trending by using these stats to get a true evaluation of each player.
Matthew
Fantastic. Whether you agree or disagree with the authors, the arguments made are clear, concise, and supported with evidence. It's a delightful read for that reason.

Furthermore, the book serves as a mile marker for how far baseball has come. Even with "Moneyball" becoming ubiquitous, the team at BP still manages to find room for experimentation; as stated in the book, bullpens, rotations, and draft picks are areas of particular interest.

A great read for any sports fan.
Zeb Snyder
This is a collection of essays on baseball from a sabermetric perspective. But don't think of it as a book on statistics. Think of it as Freakonomics for baseball. The authors ask interesting questions about roster construction, how to evaluate amateur talent, and in-game tactics, and provide thoughtful answers based on data. But it isn't about crunching numbers. It's about the thought process. It's about how some folks think about baseball, and it's fascinating.
Brian Sison
This book was decent, but nowhere near as good as Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong. The high point was the analysis of the impact of the Steroid Era on the Hall of fame. Low points included an overly long section on scouting in South America.
Railroad_Ross
Interesting read for baseball fans. Makes some new and interesting challenges to conventional wisdom about defense and does a solid job of framing saber-metric areas of study for the future. A little too math intensive (without solid explanation) and not enough baseball anecdotes for me to give it 5 stars, but a solid follow-up to Between The Numbers. If you liked Baseball Between The Numbers, this book is better and you will enjoy it.
Greg
Meh. Not as good as Baseball Between the Numbers Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong. I think they had to dig deeper for topics and delve into more specific areas, some of which were interesting but usually they didn't warrant more than a few pages.
Chris Witt
Didn't have the same weight as the first "Between the Numbers" book, which I found very eye-opening and thought-provoking.

Maybe it's just a result of being exposed to so many sabermetric voices over the past few years, but this collection felt very meh. Or at least very "yes, yes, we have read this before on BaseballProspectus.com, Fangraphs.com, TheHardballtimes.com, etc..."
Mark Flowers
As with any anthology, some chapters are better than others, and much of the whole section on drafting and development is just not interesting, but by and large this is more great writing and great analysis from the smartest baseball guys around.
Liz DeCoster
Wow, these writers are no keen on Jeter.
A collection of essays, each examining a different baseball statistic or case study illustrating the use of the statistic. Good for baseball nerds, but probably too dense for a general audience.
Timothy
The Jay Jaffe pieces on the Hall of Fame and the piece on the effect of steroids in baseball are worth the price of admission, as well as Jason Park's on scouting players, but many of the other articles are sorely lacking.
Austin Gisriel
Excellent series of essays on the current state of baseball. The section on player acquisition and development as well as on the use of relief pitchers is especially interesting.
Stew
I enjoyed this collection of essays. Now I'm almost ready for baseball season!
David
Feb 14, 2013 David added it
Good book for stat geeks.
Sean
I always enjoy the sabermetric inquiry into the game of baseball, it's so refreshing from the talk radio emotional blowhards.
Only quibble, is that some of the information and theories already feel dated and this was just published after the 2011 season. Nonetheless I look forward to BP's next tome.
Michael Barba
Michael Barba marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Chris Whittaker
Chris Whittaker marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Baseball Prospectus 2014 Baseball Prospectus 2013 Baseball Prospectus 2012 It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over: The Baseball Prospectus Pennant Race Book Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong