3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The heart-warming story of the incredible friendship between National Geographic star Casey Anderson and an 800-lb grizzly bear named Brutus

Casey Anderson, the host of National Geographic’s “Expedition Grizzly,” met a month-old bear cub in a wildlife preserve in 2002, whom he affectionately named Brutus. Little Brutus was destined to remain in captivity or, more likely, ev...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Pegasus Books (first published September 4th 2010)

Susan
It seems that animal books are popular lately, and being an animal lover, I've picked up a few. The Story of Brutus: My Life with Brutus the Bear and the Grizzlies of North America, by Casey Anderson, is the story of Anderson, who works with National Geographic, and his "pet" grizzly bear, Brutus. Anderson has raised Brutus from babyhood, and he takes us through their adventures. Anderson is really good with animals, and yet he details some harrowing stories: the time Brutus almost escaped a tra...more
Cayleigh
This is the story of Casey Anderson and his lifelong connection with animals, in particular the Grizzly bear Brutus that he has raised. Brutus' mother was a bear that had been raised in captivity and he was born there, but the center got too full so it was either Casey take him or they'd have to put him down. So Casey, having formed an instant bond with Brutus took him and eventually founded the Montana Grizzly Encounter a sanctuary for Grizzly bears. Where “All of our bears were born in unfortu...more
Susan
I'm not such a fan of animals. I like the zoo, but I really don't like pet-type animals at all. The author talks about how some people just have a good animal vibe - animals automatically like them and feel safe with them. And others when they walk into the park all the animals' hair stand on end and all the animals are tense and growling. Anyway, I'm definitely the latter type of person and I still really liked this book.

The friendship of Casey and Brutus, a grizzly bear, is not told in chronol...more
Angela
I Really enjoyed reading this book. We watch Casey Anderson's show America the Wild as a family. My husband and I had the opportunity to go on a Summer Expedition with Casey and his crew which was amazing. If you ever get the opportunity I highly recommend it. During the expedition Casey told us many stories and I found many of those stories in the book. The book is written in a very laid back style very similar to how he told the stories in person. It was great to hear how his experiences with...more
Robert Binkowski
It seems to happen only when I stop actively seeking that I find a sense of the spirit that inhabits all living things. This book revealed its secrets to me slowly and it allowed me to cry quietly, and in wonder, and with hope.
Thank you, Casey Anderson.
Fredrika
This book isn't worth reading. It's an interesting story, but it doesn't need a whole book to tell it. I skimmed through. A video would tell the story better.
Jenni
This book was interesting, but I was expecting it to be more about Brutus and less about Casey so I found myself skimming a lot of it. You can tell he's not a writer, but there were some fun stories and I did really enjoy all the parts about Brutus, just wish there were more of them!
David Ward
A fellwo raised agrizzly from a cub. He thinks that Timothy Treadwell's mistake was not knowing grizzly body language. He also believes that Alaskan brown bears are more tolerant of humans (and less dangerous) than Yellowstone grizzlies. 4/10
Ann Beth
Laughed, cried, and also learned a lot. We met Casey and Brutus at the Montana Grizzly Encounter last spring and was nice to find out more of the story.
Mark Matzke
hardly a focused book, but enough cute anecdotes to suffice. My son and I love Brutus and the "Expedition Wild" show
Monica
I really liked this book. I also could really relate to the author and how he grew up and feels about wildlife.
Michele Anderson
Interesting. About grizzly bears. As a camper/hiker, good to know.
Michele Fuller
Loved it Casey! Way to go!
Nicole Swavely
Nicole Swavely marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sherry
Sherry is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2014
Liloheart
Liloheart marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Story of Brutus: My Life with Brutus the Bear and the Grizzlies of North America Guns, Democracy, and the Insurrectionist Idea