Start by marking “Sands of Betrayal (Kilted Desire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sands of Betrayal (Kilted Desire, #1)

Sands of Betrayal (Kilted Desire #1)

Hot passionate sex! That was the last thing on Scott Maclaren's mind as he traveled across the Atlantic to visit family. The tough Scotsman had been a Special Forces soldier until he had been terribly injured on duty in Afghanistan. Shortly after that his wife had left him for another man while he was in the hospital. But things were starting to look up, after a freak onli ...more
ebook
Published July 21st 2011 by A.B. McKinley, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Sands of Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sands of Betrayal

Accidental Leigh by Melanie  JamesNobody's Perfect by Kallypso MastersNobody's Hero by Kallypso MastersThe Darkest Frost, Vol. 1 by Tanya HolmesRussian Roulette by A.B. McKinley
Indie Authors to Watch
6th out of 5,044 books — 5,187 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireHopeless by Colleen HooverOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungWanted by Kelly Elliott
Indie Authors Everybody Should Read
7th out of 3,051 books — 3,366 voters

More lists with this book...

A.B. McKinley
Sep 21, 2012 A.B. McKinley rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed writing Kilted Desire, Sands of Betrayal. I hope yer enjoy reading it.

www.kilteddesire.com
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

First I want to start by saying that I was very skeptical about this book. I have a "thing" about men writing romance. Maybe it's my hangup, but that's how I feel. When A.B. McKinley approached me, I did voice my opinion, but I did say that I would read it then debate my feelings.

In Kilted Desire~ Sands of Betrayal we meet Scotsman, Scott Mclaren, a former British Special Forces soldier who moves to rural Ohio after being badly wounded in Afghanistan and having his wife leave him for another man
Kath
Feb 08, 2013 Kath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what to expect from this romance story. Having read the authors bio, a male and realising this story has elements of his real life experiences. I found myself reading it as if its his diary.

Scott is portrayed as the Fierce Warrior but with a compassionate, gentle loving, romantic side. He is a highly trained military man, recovering from his severe battle scars and a broken heart, when he finds love again. Scott falls deeply inlove with Katie, soul mates he thinks. Wanting to give Kati
Yvette
Oct 04, 2011 Yvette rated it it was amazing
This is a new up an coming author that was recommended to me and I really loved this book ,bit of a slow start but when takes off there are great, hot sexy love scenes,and lots of action and who can resist a hot man in a kilt..definitely recommend this book.
Renee
Apr 01, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it
This was the first romance novel, written by a man, that I have read. I have to say I found it interesting to note the difference in perspective from what I am used to. The storyline in this book was intriguing and kept me turning pages in search of answers. It drew me in from the first chapter and flowed smoothly to the end - - - where I went HUH?????? I'll have to get the 2nd book for sure!

I love the characters of Scott and Katie and their bond. Not many people would be strong enough to withs
Sassy
Jan 31, 2013 Sassy rated it it was amazing

"KILTED DESIRE 1 - Sands of Betrayal" by A.B McKinley, was full of action, suspense, steam and a very sexy Scot in a kilt. I started this book and could not put it down until I finished it in the wee hours of the morning. Our Hero, Scott and our feisty Heroine, Katie just kept me glued to the pages to see what was going to happen next with the trials of their relationship and how the dangerous mission that he was on was affecting both of their lives.

I did not care for Katie at first as I found h
Kim Haight
Sep 22, 2012 Kim Haight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, loved it, loved it...did I mention - "I loved it!"

Kilted Desire – Sands of Betrayal
by A.B. McKinley

Some authors tell stories, some paint pictures, A.B. McKinley draws us into his world of love, intrigue and betrayal. Right from his first words on paper you hear Scott’s accent, feel his embrace and sensual kisses with Katie, you feel the urgency when the bomb explodes in Iraq.

As our hearts pound through the streets of Baghdad, will Scott weave his way through the City and keep the woman
Kim Haight
Loved it, loved it, loved it...did I mention - "I loved it!"

Kilted Desire – Sands of Betrayal
by A.B. McKinley

Melanie Adkins
Jan 21, 2012 Melanie Adkins rated it it was amazing

Scott Mcclaren is part of the British Army Special Forces. He's also 100% Scottish. He's the type of man everyone woman dreams she'll have in her life one day. Katie Johnson is a teacher and soon to be divorcee. She's trying to start over, slowly. This book follows the journey these two make and the crossroads they face.

I LOVE THIS BOOK! I won't say much about it because if I do it gives spoilers and I don't do that as those of you who follow my blog know. If you want a book to sweep you away t
Sue
Jillian Salazar
Oct 08, 2012 Jillian Salazar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down. Completely enthralling, especially knowing it is based on true events!!
Twinsie Talk Angie J
Mar 03, 2013 Twinsie Talk Angie J rated it really liked it
Shelves: kilted-desire
Check out this review and others at www.twinsietalk.blogspot.com, www.facebook.com/twinisetalk or @twinsietalk

I was given this book by the author for a truthful review.

Ok so my friend and fellow blogger Diana was all insistent that I read this "Scott guy's book". I was like CALM DOWN SISTER and give me details. So she hooked me up with the author at the same time I found the blog hop and so here we are present day........

So I was very fascinated by a man who is taking some of his personal situat
Sassy
Jan 31, 2013 Sassy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I did not care for Katie at first as I found h
Sue
I really like this book. There is romance and action; passion and danger; and betrayal. If you like stories featuring rugged, military men I'm sure you enjoy Kilted Desire. The hero Scott Maclaren is a former military man in the British Army. He moves to Ohio to stay with family while recuperating from injuries sustained while on duty in the war zone. While there, Scott meets and falls in love with Katie, a single mother with two kids. In order to be able to marry and live the kind of life Katie ...more
TJ Rowser
Feb 16, 2013 TJ Rowser rated it liked it
This was a short, mildly entertaining read (at least for me, but I read extremely quickly).
Quick plot summary: ex-soldier meet pretty school teach they fall in love and he goes off to take a private security job in a dangerous country so they can have more money. Their love affair is completely covered in the first few chapters of the book, their relationship is already established and you've been told all about it. Enter the person he's been hired to protect, another woman who's attracted to ou
Diana P
Feb 09, 2013 Diana P rated it it was amazing
Where's there a will, there a way.....And it was proven by all three main characters of the story, each in its own way with their own agenda (cause as much as I've tried to ignore Britney, she is an integral part of the story). Yes, 5 stars for the reality of the story, for the clean lines and feelings, for the fact that the author showed Scott as a real person and not a superhero. I absolutely loved the intimate moments which can be cataloged as truly making love and not sex marathon, and that' ...more
Dee
Nov 22, 2015 Dee rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This is my first DNF book in a looooong time! But 25% in I simply couldn't do it anymore.

My biggest problem was the way it was written, nothing quite like anything I have read before. It wasn't written in first person or third person. It felt more like the author was 'telling' the story so the characters and setting felt very one dimensional, it is hard to explain.

That said they were a few speaking parts and thats when I discovered the MC had a scottish accent like nothing I've ever heard befor
Pearls
Jul 19, 2013 Pearls rated it really liked it
I don't usually like stories with a lot of narration, but since it is Scott telling his own story, it makes a big difference. His storytelling clicks along, keeping you turning page after page. From his humility and loyalty to his sense of bravery and romanticism, Scott is a complete package, wrapped nicely in a kilt. This is a modern Scots warrior with old fashioned values: in short, Mr. Perfect. But he is real---he suffers heart ache, injuries, temptation, and betrayal along with rest of us me ...more
Valerie
Feb 09, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing
McKinley has given readers a deeply, intimate perspective on a deeply honorable man. He has painted a portrait of a hero that will leave a lasting impression on every reader who dares to take a chance on this book. I’ll be adding A. B. McKinley to my auto-buy list because this one is a keeper. ~ Night Owl Reviews

Tracey
Feb 03, 2014 Tracey rated it it was amazing
Looking for a new book boyfriend? Look no further, meet Scott all round action man and such a romantic....

Scott is is out the armed forces and has had a lot to deal with until he meets Katie, she turns his world around. He loves her so much his prepared to take a dangerous job in a foreign country. Even long distance you can feel there love for one another.

Six months in a war torn country, protecting a woman that is used to getting what she wants....it's not going to be easy.

You go through so ma
Humor: 0/10
Secondary Characters: 5/10
End: 2/10
Pace: 3/10

This book didn't live up to the hype for me. I hated the "heroine" and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I tried to focus on the "adventure" aspect of the story instead of the romance but even that was lackluster and boring. Kind of disappointing since romantic adventure is my favorite sub-genre. There's a lot of info dumps and repetition which made reading this book tedious and on par
Libby
Mar 10, 2013 Libby rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!
In the past I have always stayed away from male authors with anything containing romance. But do you know what? This guy gets it - he really does! The emotion I felt was real. There were times when I couldn't read for the tears clouding my vision (frustrating but satisfying at the same time). Action, romance, frustration, sadness, it is all here and so very well delivered! Not one aspect is over or under done - the balance is perfect!
I am not going to retell the story here, other reviewers
Julia
Jun 10, 2013 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-reviews
I'm not really happy that I actually bought this book, though honestly, since it's by a self-published author, I'm not sure I could have borrowed it from the library.

I'm really not looking forward to writing this review, because I think that self-published authors are awesome and fearless and getting it done the best way that they can. 3 of my favorite authors are self-published and I love their work... and I was really looking forward to reading this book because of the reviews people have put
Elizabeth Keckler
This book is Awesome!! AB Mckinley knocked it out of the park with this one.. He has everything in here, action, adventure, Romance, and hence the title some betrayal. I loved the story line and the characters, he really knows how to draw you into the story and make you feel like you are there. every time i see a quote or just a comment on a line in the book I can see right where that was said or that particular thing happened..you simply have to check out this Amazing book.
Jennie
Feb 11, 2013 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Love this book!!! It is an exciting, hot, and steamy. I highly recommend this book and also recommend this writer. I can't wait for more books from this author.
I felt as if I was in the book, feeling everything the characters were going through, living everything. A. B. McKinley is an awesome writer!!!
Its actually hard to tell what all I feel for this book and to write about it because I don't want to give anything away. All I can say is read all his books.
Gem
Feb 21, 2013 Gem rated it it was amazing
The writing is unique. The author is from Scotland and it's written in a Scottish brogue. It is unlike anything I've read before. You are with Scott in the middle of Baghdad, in a firefight. You are hiding in an alley facing down bad guys. This writer has it. He has lived it. You can feel what he feels and see what he sees. This book is for men as well as women. From being a bodyguard in Iraq to making love to his lady, this author has it.
Elizabeth Keckler
Jul 03, 2012 Elizabeth Keckler rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING, it has it all!! The Action and Romance and some betrayal...it is a story of Love and Loss, Scott has been through it all and is trying to get enough money together to make a good life for Katie and her girls, so they can be a family. He goes to be a body guard in the Middle east, and he finds out that he has to guard a twenty something girl who soon realizes she wants him...
Cathy Wade
Feb 13, 2013 Cathy Wade rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone I know
Recommended to Cathy by: Scott McKInley
This book was awesome! Well written and a great must read! I would recommend it to all my friends male and female. Its full of action, suspense, betrayal and romance. Its a perfect mix.You will fall inlove with the characters and not want to put the book down. Great Great Book. I would read it again and will read it again. You will have tears in your eyes by the end of the book.
Louise
This was an okay erotic romance for me. I liked Scott, who is an ex-Special Forces Scottish hunk of a man. Katie, his love interest was okay...I liked her in the beginning, but she wore on my nerves as the book progressed. Although Katie and Scott meet and live in Ohio, the bulk of the story takes place in Baghdad, where Scott has taken a 6-month job as a bodyguard in order to buy Katie her dream house.
There is a lot of talking on the phone, some visits back and forth, but it is basically primar
Monica Boots
Feb 16, 2013 Monica Boots rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Kilted Desire Series and we follow Scott Maclaren on a 6 month security contract in Bagdad. I loved the combination of action, suspense, some humor and steamy scenes. And not to forget that sexy Scottish accent our hero Scott has. I was glad I found this book because it is an absolute must read.
Happily Ever Afte...: Kilted Desire - Sands of Betrayal, eBook Release 7 28 Jun 05, 2012 04:19PM
  • Devil's Own (Clan MacAlpin, #2)
  • The Bride Of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #1)
  • Twelve Wicked Nights
  • Killer Kisses
  • Embrace the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #2)
  • Lady in Black
  • Stuck On You
  • Beneath the Wall
  • My Brother, My Rival (My Brother, My Rival, #2)
  • Protecting Kate
  • A MacKenzie Clan Gathering (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8.5)
  • Mastered by Mavericks (Doms of Destiny, Colorado #3)
  • A Midsummer Night's Fling (Much Ado About Love, #1)
  • Piece by Piece (West End #3)
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Savannah Series Boxed Set (Savannah, #1-4.5)
  • Fancy Free (Fancy Free, #1)
  • An Acute Attraction (The Attraction Series, #1)
I dinnae use GR, please contact me via FB

Scott McKinley Author / Cover Model
More about A.B. McKinley...

Kilted Desire (3 books)
  • Russian Roulette (Kilted Desire, #2)
  • New Blood (Kilted Desire, #3)