Start by marking “Keeping the Republic: Saving America by Trusting Americans” as Want to Read:
Keeping the Republic: Saving America by Trusting Americans

Keeping the Republic: Saving America by Trusting Americans

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  157 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

Upon leaving the Constitutional Convention, Benjamin Franklin was asked what sort of government the delegates had created. His reply to the crowd: A republic, if you can keep it." Now America's most respected governor explains just how close we've come to losing the republic, and how we can restore it to greatness.

Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels has been called "the most

Published September 1st 2011 by Sentinel

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Republic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping the Republic

Jim
Nov 18, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a current politician that has needed and doable solutions for the fiscal ills that trouble the governments of this country (and probably most other countries). A easily readable book where Daniels describes the actions he has taken, with the support of the Indiana General Assembly, in the 7 years he has been Governor of Indiana. Actions that reduced the cost of government, improved services, and balanced the State budgets. This is the kind of National President this Country needs.
Josh Tatum
A good take on the current state of our Republic and solutions. Daniels is an excellent writer, but the second half of the book repeats and feels a little hurried. Still, I recommend this book to anyone seeking a frank, straightforward analysis of current problems. Daniels approaches them as an experienced executive more than a politician.
Brent Goldstein
Nov 14, 2012 Brent Goldstein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a shame that Daniels didn't run for Pres in 2012.
Mark
Aug 15, 2013 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Buried in this lightweight meandering list of right-wing shibboleths are a few valid points:
* institutions and the people in them do not like to give up power. However, he only mentions this in regard to left-leaning institutions like unions. He fails to notice that right-wing institutions all have the same, human, characteristics.
* if you're going to make big changes, you're going to piss off a lot of people. However, when left-leaning people are pissed off, it's because they were bad, selfish
Cassius Rovenstine
The first qualification for any politician running for President of the United States is optimism. Every politician understands this and strains with every muscle in his forced smile and every ready cliche on the tip of his tongue to convince the American people that he, not his opponent, is the most optimistic in all the land. "I strongly believe that America's best days are ahead of us," he invariably says at least a thousand times per election year, reading from a script that hasn't changed s ...more
 wade
Sep 13, 2012 wade rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book gets 2 stars based primarily on the strength of the final chapter. The first 80% of the books is nothing different from the stock and trade Republican Party talking points. When I read a book I want to learn something and what he writes about I have heard many time before from various Republican writers and speakers. Also, the first 200 hundred pages is heavily filled with what is wrong but very shallow on specifics. Venom drips from many of his passages referring to Obama's minions an ...more
Mike
Apr 03, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniels and his team have engineered a remarkable turnaround in Indiana's finances, based on the premise that goverment is meant to serve the people, not tell them what to do. He clearly explains the financial risks facing the US and offers his solutions, though his pragmatism leaves room for other answers. The quotes scattered thru the book are great (particularly from Reagan); and I love that when he travels to events statewide, he stays in the homes of his constituents. Why can't he be Govern ...more
Adam Decker
Sep 21, 2011 Adam Decker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book presents the real facts as to our nation's current economic state and as you might guess it isn't pretty. Daniels is very straightforward in the book and does a good job presenting his suggested solutions, including in most cases identifying the arguments against his proposals with clear rebuttals. I especially like his support for the negative income tax to replace the hodge podge of the many different welfare programs.
Sam Snideman
Jan 08, 2012 Sam Snideman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think pretty highly of Governor Daniels. His book is a pretty good example as to why. He's thoughtful, provocative, and an effective communicator. I'm not sure I agree with every assertion made and ever conclusion drawn in the book, but this much is clear: our current economic path is neither sustainable nor desirable. Daniels' call for action is necessary at this point in our nation's history.
Michael Kramer
Jan 17, 2012 Michael Kramer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gov. Daniels sets out a compelling case that the country needs to address our national debt. He sets out a solid plan to do this. The question is whether the country has the will to do this before it is too late. This is not a typical book by a politician, especially one that wants to run for President, which is refreshing.

This book needs to be required reading for anyone holding national or state level office.
Larry Ellingson
May 21, 2016 Larry Ellingson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is about time!

Simple, much needed wake up call to self management with practical suggestions that been proven to work and us (Amercians) out of this hole we have spent our way into! Stop the politicians from spending us into depth and hold them accountable to cut costs, reduced spending and balance a budget at all levels of governments that serve us (the people )!
Ted Myers
Interesting book. Not so much a political philosophy as an analysis of the current state of the USA. I wish I had his faith in the American public. He seems convinced that we will wake up and be able to straighten out the mess in our National political system. First, of course, we need to straighten our thinking, motivation, and actions as individual citizens. Therein lies the rub...
Steve
May 31, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a political-oriented book, but Mitch Daniels seems to have a more common-sense, practical approach. You'll learn more about Indiana government than you thought you would, but it's a good case study.
Zach
May 26, 2014 Zach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
A great perspective on the financial issues facing our country. Well written and very accessible -- very enlightening for anyone who wants to better understand the reason why incurring so much debt is problematic for the future of our country.
Nancy
Nov 02, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blech
He has some ideas worth considering. But did he need to channel his inner Ann Coulter for an entire chapter on how the Democrats were mean to the Republicans in 2010 in Indiana? As if only Democrats stoop to name-calling and chicanery. It ruined the whole book for me.
Patricia
Aug 07, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We need someone like Mitch Daniels to run for president. Someone who really "gets" the US Constitution.
Kristy
Jun 18, 2013 Kristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No better way to ring in Independence Day then finishing this book! Oh Mitch, SO wish you would have run!!!
John Burnham
Apr 10, 2015 John Burnham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Amazing what a politician can do when he has the state in mind rather than himself. Wish he'd run for president!
Margaret
Sep 25, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really difficult book for me to read, but I'm really glad that I did. The ideas in it were very interesting.
Becki
Apr 03, 2013 Becki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will always be sad he didn't run for President. He is 100% on the mark all the way through this entire book. Sigh......
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Todd
Todd rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Eric Meyers
Eric Meyers rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Conchita
Conchita rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Mitzi Jobes
Mitzi Jobes rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Bill Mullen
Bill Mullen rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Pascal Nguyen
Pascal Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Kohl
Kohl rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Muzzled: The Assault on Honest Debate
  • The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America
  • Hopeless: Barack Obama and the Politics of Illusion
  • JFK in the Senate: Pathway to the Presidency
  • Here Come the Black Helicopters!: Exposing the Liberal Plan for Global Government
  • The Way Forward: Renewing the American Idea
  • For Reasons of State
  • The Riverkeepers: Two Activists Fight to Reclaim Our Environment as a Basic Human Right
  • Is Democracy Possible Here?: Principles for a New Political Debate
  • The Black History of the White House
  • Common Nonsense: Glenn Beck and the Triumph of Ignorance
  • Trapped! The Story of Floyd Collins
  • Across That Bridge: A Vision for Change and the Future of America
  • A Colossal Wreck: A Road Trip Through Political Scandal, Corruption and American Culture
  • The Obamians: How a Band of Newcomers Redefined American Power