Start by marking “The land of the blue flower” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The land of the blue f...
Frances Hodgson Burnett

The land of the blue flower

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Every fair night through the King's earliest years the Ancient One carried him to the battlements and let him fall asleep beneath the shining myriads. But first he would walk about bearing him in his arms, or sit with him in the splendid silence, sometimes relating wonders to him in a low voice, sometimes uttering no word, only looking calmly into the high vault above as i ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published by New York : Moffat, Yard (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The land of the blue flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The land of the blue flower

This is a small, short book about a good king and how he changed his kingdom. This book was only 92 pages long but had a good feel to it. The author is the same author who wrote "The Secret Garden".
A small book with the beginning to a story waiting to be expanded. I wish there was more to this story and world. In it's simplicity and shortness, I think it is perfection. It is a small little fable you can read in one sitting and it is worth a read for something light hearted and uplifting.
This is charming in a very old-fashioned way. Many people may find it a bit cloying (and I do find the children in these illustrations quite revolting), and I'll probably never read it again, but I am happy to have read it once.
A short story about happiness and contentment versus fear, anger etc - typical story for children with a moral. I liked Little Lord Fauntleroy and the other "full" stories better. (I love re-reading old children classics)
This is a nice little bedtime story about a King and how he changed anger to kindness. A quick read as well
This is a sweet, quick read that shows the power of connection with one another and our world.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg:
toothache sweet and overly simplistic -- as I read I kept thinking "No. Nope. Untrue!"
A lovely little story with many positive messages and thoughts. A perfect bedtime story.
A beautiful little story for children. With great illustrations.
Amy Griffith
Cute fairy tale with a good message.
Rhonda Pickens
Like the Lotus Sutra

This is similar to The Lost Prince, in that it captures Buddhist teachings in a very simple and easy format. Skillful means indeed!
This was my first time reading this short little book, that to me seems an ideal story to read section by section aloud by a Parent or Grandchild to a child in their early 4 - 7 years. It is not a picture book but a book that may impart a simple virtuous message that will last a lifetime.

The Land of The Blue Flower is by no means a chapter book like The Secret Garden or The Little Princess, but it is stellar in it's own way.
I don't expect a fairy tale to be realistic, but this was too idealistic and syrupy-sweet to be enjoyable. I didn't notice until after reading this that the "readers also enjoyed" list includes books by Robert Stanek.
Casey Kinson
"When a man looks at the stars, he grows calm and forgets small things. They answer his questions and show him that his earth is only one of the million worlds. Hold your soul still and look upward often, and you will understand their speech. Never forget the stars."
Written by Frances Hodgson Burnett of The Secret Garden fame in 1908, this is basically Buddhism for children, with its message to be one with nature and let go of anger and ugliness. The illustrations are utterly beautiful, as is the story.
Must find the ILLUSTRATED version by Judith Ann Griffith. Her paintings for this story is OUTSTANDING...This is a GREAT story....LOVE IT! This is a book I want ALL MY GRANDCHIDLREN to read at least ONCE in their life.
meh. not FHB at her best. I hate the allegory ones. only gets the second star because i finished it. but only finished it because it's so short.
I liked the thought of when you fill your thoughts with something beautiful, you don't have time to think about being angry or afraid.
This is a sweet story with nice morals. I did not feel like it was particularly interesting nor that it was terribly compelling.
This is very much a moral story for children. She didn't focus so much on story as she did morality, hence the three stars.
Heidi Miller
Beautiful little story by the author of The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. Very quick read with a great moral message.
Free classic for Kindle on Amazon. Captivating short story. I read it myself and then read it aloud to my girls.
One of my all-time FAVORITE children's book. GREAT MORAL MESSAGEs for all of us. Highly recommend to old and young.
Beautiful book. It can be read in 45 minutes, but leaves you with a happy feeling that lasts much longer.
Has a very FHB moral and hero, but she tells the same story better in many of her other works.
King Amor is a gentle, good guy, but that will not make a good king in real life.
  • The Boy Who Flew With Eagles
  • The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches II (Keeper Martin's Tales, #2)
  • The Minstrel's Tale
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • Instant Preplay
  • The Rose Fairy Book
  • Mad Science Institute
  • The Color of Bones
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace (Frankie Pickle, #3)
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • Shadowbloom (Rhyme of the Willow, Book 1)
  • Celtic Tales, Told to the Children
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • Getting Air
  • Vinegar Boy: Encounter Christ Through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...

“If you fill your mind with a beautiful thought, there will be no room in it for an ugly one. - King Amor” 10 likes
“When a man is overcome by anger, he has a poisoned fever. He loses his strength, he loses his power over himself and over others. He throws away time in which he might have gained the end he desires. The is no time for anger in the world. - The Ancient One” 6 likes