Start by marking “Spaceland: A Novel of the Fourth Dimension” as Want to Read:
Spaceland: A Novel of the Fourth Dimension

Spaceland: A Novel of the Fourth Dimension

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Joe Cube is a Silicon Valley hotshot--well, a would-be hotshot anyway--hoping that the 3-D TV project he's managing will lead to the big money IPO he's always dreamed of. On New Year's Eve, hoping to impress his wife, he sneaks home the prototype. It brings no new warmth to their cooling relationship, but it does attract someone else's attention.

When Joe sees a set of lips
Published July 4th 2003 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Spaceland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaceland

Kelvin
Feb 22, 2016 Kelvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, adult, stem, sci-fi
3 Stars

As much as this book sounds like a three dimensional version of flatland, it felt much more like fantasy; and to be honest, that probably made the book better. Our main character, Joe Cube, is visited by a fourth dimensional creature, Momo, who recruits him to spread knowledge of the fourth dimension to the people of Earth with a business concept of phones that do not require a carrier to transmit message because the signals are transmitted in the fourth dimension. Joe calls up some his f
David Kinzer
Apr 30, 2016 David Kinzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quirky little gem of a book. If you like sci fi and have a mathematical bent, you will like this book. The protagonist is named Joe Cube, and things get weird when he receives a visitor from "The All": a world of four dimensions surrounding our own 3D world (referred to as Spaceland and thus the title of the book). The names the author uses for the places and creatures in The All are comical in and of themselves, but they lend charm to this story about a young entrepreneur, his wife Je ...more
Ahmed Khalifa
Ludicrously bad, so bad that it was unputdownable. Rudy Rucker is obviously a [insert real profession] first and a writer fourteenth. The characters are one-dimensional and archetypal, the plot is meandering, the pacing is loose, the twists are telegraphed and the prose is juvenile.

All that said, Rucker takes the time and research to make his depiction of what a fourth dimensional experience would be like as accurate and compelling as possible. This is sci-fi at its best, theoretically speaking.
Jasper Elsley
Jan 22, 2016 Jasper Elsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read Flatland and Flatterland, but i've never read a novel as well-written as this one.
This book, written from Joe, the main character's point of view, is about a four dimensional creature who augments Joe to make him able to see either Dronia or the Klupper city. It also gives Joe the ability to see through walls, using the point of view on his vinn side.
The four dimensional creature, Momo, teaches Joe that the fourth spatial dimensions are vinn and vout and that the vinn side of space l
Erik
Feb 05, 2015 Erik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this right before Frek and the Elixer. As reviewers have said it's pretty one dimensional. But it has it's good points and I did finish it. I'm not sure I can remember what those good points are, though. I think Rucker is mimicking the style of Flatland, another dull, one-dimesional read. But since it's about dimensions there's an inside joke playing here. Kind of a slog to get through. I think I'm going to try White Light before i give up on Rucker, just to figure out if he's a style cha ...more
Bruce
May 25, 2010 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I love Rudy Rucker, don't get me wrong, but this is not one of his best books.

It contains the usual-- mathematically sound extradimensional romps with wacky names and gonzo characters. But as other reviewers have commented the juice isn't flowing so much on this one.

Rucker writes according to his doctrine of the "transreal," heavily incorporating elements from his regular life. In his earlier books you will see lots of gratuitous drug use of substances real and otherwise. Here you see his transi
Kenny
Mar 05, 2009 Kenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-scifi
SPACELAND is a continuation of the ruminations on dimensionality first begun over one hundred years ago in Abbot's "Flatland," continued in the 60s with "Sphereland," culminating (or maybe not) with Rucker's "Spaceland."

Rudy Rucker has one of the most fertile and flexible minds currently working on SF subject matter. In this case, his foray into trying to explain fourth-dimensionality uses the methodology of his predecessors (going to the next lower dimension to show how easily we perceive it an
Mclane
Feb 25, 2014 Mclane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea, but poorly executed. Is the flatness of the characters intentional? Because that would be clever in a way, though still almost unreadable.
It seemed as though the author were taking a 2D example from lecture and folding, duct-taping, and wishing it into the shape of a novel. I'd be interested to read some of his non-fic, but I was happy to finally put this down.
Natalie Thurlby
I didn't like the characters, they are so boring, unlikable and (ironically) one-dimensional.

I read this book quite a long time ago, and that's all that I can really recall about it. I really liked flatland, which is I guess why I bothered finishing this.

It is at least quite a fun idea for a book, I just think the execution is pretty bad.
Amanda
Dec 25, 2014 Amanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
this just became available to me from my wishlist on pbs and i can't decide if i should buy a credit and get it. I've only read one Rudy Rucker book-The Hollow Earth: The Narrative of Mason Algiers Reynolds of Virginia but it was excellent. I already have 2 other of his books that i haven't read, but who knows when this one will become available again as it's not a popular book. OH decisions, decisions! As a founding father of cyberpunk and a twice PKD award winner, as well as a brilliant scient ...more
Kọlá
Feb 06, 2016 Kọlá rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, full of Rucker's wit and inventiveness. Does a great job conceptualising 4 dimensional life forms and what it would be like for a 3 dimensional being to interact with them.

If you ever read Flatland or been intrigued by a hypercube, read this.
Guy Ferguson
A good intro to starting my Science degree. Thanks Rudi. Was it Edward A Abbot that wrote Flatland? You could say this is the pepsi-flavoured sequel.
Kyrie
Jan 26, 2013 Kyrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Spaceland is definitely less science/math oriented than the others I've read in this grouping. It's also geared more to an adult audience.
It lacks the charm of Flatland, to which the author pays homage.
It also reads like a what I tend to call a "guy book". Not that I think all guys are clueless idiots when it comes to women, but there's a lot of that in this book. To be fair, women come off as clueless idiots as well.
The ending was pretty good, but overall, no, I just didn't really like the boo
Dogday
Mar 22, 2014 Dogday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it.
D.L. Morrese
I made it about halfway through before giving up on this book. I very seldom do that, but if the characters fail to appeal to me after 150 pages, chances are they won't ever. I could not force myself to care about what happened to them. They're quite unlikeable, in fact, and the plot and setting were not interesting enough to overcome that for me. Don't let this prevent you from trying it. I'm sure there are people this book will appeal to. TOR liked it enough to publish it, after all. It just w ...more
Greg
Jul 17, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was much less focused on the science and more on a story that relied on the science compared to the other Flatland spawns I've read. The story reminded me of early Christopher Moore and so it was fun in that way. It did, at times, make the idea of the fourth dimension come alive better than any of the others because it dealt strictly with how humans would experience this do,ensign. I also appreciated the nod to Planiverse by including Drabk.
lisa
Apr 27, 2010 lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone with a lot of time, patients or bad taste
Okeh, so I got half-way through, and the real obstacle to finishing isn't the difficulty in wrapping my head around analogies about the 4th Dimension, it's the terrible prose and the uninteresting shallow characters. If I had more time to devote to something so poorly written, than maybe I would allow myself a chapter a week of this "junk food" book, but as it stands right now, it's just not worth it.
Mark Sequeira
So I believe from what I've read that Rudy Rucker is quite knowledgeable and readable regarding extra dimensions...but as a fiction writer I was let down. I wanted to like this book but it was nowhere near being good fiction. Some of the explanations make you think but would have been better served being in a non-fiction book about space/time/science.
Kathleen
Ridiculous book... It kind of like what would flatland or sphereland be like if it happened to humans in the modern era. The parts that I remember most are that the poor girlfriend of the main character was constantly described in terms of her oily/pimply skin. And that we could imagine exactly how streets and cafes in "Los Perros" mapped onto Los Gatos.
Jake Parks
Jul 22, 2007 Jake Parks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dude, the 4th physical dimension blows my mind. Rudy Rucker is a smart guy who I am pretty sure is a string theorist and is using fictional books to open people's minds to the idea of extra physical dimensions. He uses a comparison of 3D people looking at 2D people to describe what 4D people see when looking at 3D people. Get it?
Martin Stein
Oct 16, 2010 Martin Stein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining SF from an author who understands the male mind very well.

Set in Silicon Valley with a lot of references to real places, people this book quickly takes off into a physics thought experiment. It is still quite entertaining and a kind of Gilgamesh epos feel.
Nancy
Mar 09, 2013 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th dimension pieces were ok, but the plot was dumb and the characters were uninteresting. I guess my expectations were too high-- I expected to be blown away by a novel with the 4th dimension woven into it. It was a struggle to finish. So disappointed!
Yelena Malcolm
I liked Flatland and was ready to really like this. It was, as the stars say, just OK. I didn't dislike it and I didn't love it. I would not have chosen not to read it if given the chance, but it seemed more like an exercise and less like a fully developed story.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really different from books I "normally" read - i.e., I don't read much science fiction - but this was entertaining. A little hard to read in some parts, a little too much description sometimes, but a quick read and a nice escape book.
Ethan Bagley
Interesting and funny. Honestly, trying to wrap your brain around a 3-dimensional person's experiences in a further dimension is sort of hard. Lots of great visualization queues from the author, and a plot that keeps it interesting.
Thomas
Jun 16, 2008 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Rudy Rucker, I really do. But as I've started reading his fiction again recently, I'm finding that it's his non-fiction works that really draw me in. This book, while entertaining, just didn't quite do it for me.
Joanne
Aug 29, 2010 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of very few books I read partway and put down. The writing was fair, but the plot was sub par. As a fan of a vast variety of science fiction and fantasy, I feel I can say with feeling- this just isn't me. Blech.
Jason
The dot.com insanity of The Hacker and the Ants meets Rucker's love of the 4th dimension, and beyond, FTW!
Samantha Balmes
Aug 07, 2011 Samantha Balmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Quite the ride through dimensional travel. Fun twist and fantastical food to make you drool. Weird science and definitely a good read for anyone who loves physics, math, and technology.
Jesse
Sep 12, 2007 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guy writes books that are so outlandish, you can barely wrap yer head around it. One of the few science fiction authors with a firm grasp of both theoretical physics and plot structure.
  • Sphereland: A Fantasy about Curved Spaces and an Expanding Universe
  • Eclipse Penumbra (A Song Called Youth, #2)
  • Cyberia: Life in the Trenches of Cyberspace
  • Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So
  • A Year In The Linear City
  • Seeds of Change
  • MultiReal (Jump 225, #2)
  • Crystal Nights and Other Stories
  • Alone Against Tomorrow: Stories of Alienation in Speculative Fiction
  • Spin Control
  • Patterns
  • Getting to Know You
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...