Start by marking “Astronomy Through the Ages: The Story of the Human Attempt to Understand the Universe” as Want to Read:

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  9 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
When astronomers today look up at the night sky they picture a spectacular and infinite universe--full of pulsars, quasars, and black holes and ruled by arcane laws of space and time. Once, ancient astronomers looked up and saw only points of light tracing calm movements across the heavens. But they too were moved to wonder about the meaning of what they saw. In Astronomy ...more
Published February 8th 1998 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Astronomy Through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astronomy Through the Ages

Kari
Nov 27, 2013 Kari rated it it was ok
This was the best book for explaining binary pulsars that I've read. I actually kind of understand them now, and I never could before. Because I just read the book and returned it to the library, I don't have it on hand to keep my memory fresh, but I now know if I want to look things up, I have a good place to go.
Cassandra Kay Silva
Jun 05, 2011 Cassandra Kay Silva rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Another one of your typical short history lessons in Astronomy. Running through the History of Astronomy for the bulk of it and a final chapter on cosmology.
Constance Levitsky
Constance Levitsky marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Sharyn
Sharyn rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Cass
Cass marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2015
Andrew
Andrew added it
Nov 01, 2014
Craig Cameron
Craig Cameron rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Swetha
Swetha marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Axolot1
Axolot1 marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
The Hoffman
The Hoffman marked it as to-read
May 19, 2012
Chris Sebastian Douglas
Chris Sebastian Douglas rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Eduardo
Eduardo rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
William Wright
William Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2011
Matthew Cossey
Matthew Cossey marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2009
Bea Alden
Bea Alden marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2008
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2007
Robert Woodrow Wilson (born January 10, 1936) is an American astronomer, 1978 Nobel laureate in physics, who with Arno Allan Penzias discovered in 1964 the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB). The award purse was also shared with a third scientist, Pyotr Leonidovich Kapitsa, for unrelated work.

While working on a new type of antenna at Bell Labs in Holmdel Township, New Jersey, they found a
More about Robert Woodrow Wilson...