Start by marking “Adultery” as Want to Read:
Adultery

Adultery

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Richard Wright’s bestselling follow-upto Clara Callan is a quietly brilliant story of infidelity andforgiveness.Daniel Fielding has it all: a charmingwife and daughter, the respect of his co-workers, a nice house in a desirableneighbourhood. What, then, drives him to succumb to the charms of a pretty,young colleague at an overseas book fair? When a passionate indiscretione ...more
Published July 18th 2005 by Phyllis Bruce Books Perennial (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Adultery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adultery

Carol
I was recently at a used book store when I happened upon ‘Adultery’ by Richard B. Wright. I picked up the book, read a paragraph, and found the writing extremely compelling. In the passage I read, a husband, traveling in Europe, admit to his wife, over the phone, and across the Atlantic ocean, that he’s been unfaithful. In that one paragraph, I felt all the pain of the situation. The writing was so honest and clear.

The rest of ‘Adultery’ was as strong as that paragraph. Richard B. Wright is a gr
Marisa
Library Request. I found the protagonist Dan Fielding a happily married man in his fifties knowing where he was going, when he finds himself at a fork in the road and made a cliched of all cliches of an adulteress weekend, thinking that no repercussions if it occurred out of the country. What a load of hoopla, well needless to say the preverbal shite hits the fan, when things escalate out of his control and all the people that matter the most find out about the sorted weekend abroad.

Again, I did
Shane
The concept of this form of sin is very well explored from a male perspective and its enduring consequences are not sugar coated. I found the whole book moved too slow, though
Marie
Jan 01, 2015 Marie added it
Shelves: anglais-canada
Christopher Sword
Unfortunately I think the title will scare away a good number of readers and I admit to giving a thought or two to what my fellow commuters thought the content was when I read it on my bus but I'm glad I stuck with it. Wright has a clean, easy-to-read style but it is his attention to detail that really pulls you in. I'm not sure I've ever read another author who makes fiction feel so life-like.
Yes, there is a short-lived affair and yes there is murder but don't expect this to play out like a det
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Some guys have all the luck. Take 55-year-old Daniel Fielding: a senior book editor with an established Toronto publishing firm, he has a loving and well-preserved wife, a dutiful teenaged daughter, a desirable home, and enough money to occasionally vacation abroad. Moreover, despite his admitted homeliness, women always seem to be throwing themselves at him. There was the "tall redhead who worked for the Star ... Jane somebody or other" and the "refreshing" twentysomething writer who
Tangmiao
“Adultery” is a new-style book that worth to read carefully, it was written by a famous author whose name is Richard. B. Wright, he has several brilliant books have done before begins to write “Adultery”, for example: “Clara Callan”, “The age of longing”, “Tourists”. All the books written by him are fantastically attractive, both for the elders and the adolescences, especially “Adultery”. “Adultery” can be called a new-style fiction which has less breathtaking development of the event and main s ...more
Roberta
While it's not as engaging as Clara Callan, I enjoyed this earlier novel. For me, it was about how everything can change in an instant and how our actions can have consequences we never imagined. It's also an interesting exploration of guilt and of forgiveness. As Claire says being sorry is fine but it doesn't change things. I like the way Wright describes the impact of the senses, especially scent, to create a mood or memory.
Louise
A smooth, slow, sad novel of forgiveness and how 'moment' decisions can ruin your life forever. I read this novel in about 2 1/2 hours it was that good.

From back cover:

"Daniel Fielding, a quiet, middle-aged editor at a Toronto publishing house, has it all: an attractive wife, a charming daughter who excels at her private school, and a desirable house in a nice neighbourhood. But when Fielding and a pretty, assertive young colleague travel together to the Frankfurt Book Fair, what begins as an in
Caroline Mcphail-Lambert
Interesting foray into one man's consequences of deciding to have an affair with a much younger womyn in another country.

Not at all what I expected, and better than I thought it would be.

Eager to try another of Wright's books.
Sylvia Valevicius
Enjoyed this read. Richard B. Wright of the lovely Clara Callan book is the author. I remember that he writes with restraint, but he handles the topic very well. Good little book!
Sharon
'Adultery' felt like a book that the author wrote to fulfil a contract!

The characters were flat and bland, as was the writing. The emotions portrayed just didn't have any depth about them - death is written about, an affair and infidelity was written about, families in grief were written about - but you'd be hard pressed to think anyone in the novel really gave a toss, even if the odd angry word is thrown about. Even the few 'f' words read like they were being whispered instead of shouted.

After
Valerie
A great disappointment after Clara Callen. The characters were one-dimensional and not credible. Stilted and unbeliveable plot.
Chloe
The characters are flat and unsympathetic. At no point did I care what happened to them. Such a disappointment after reading Clara Callan by the same author earlier this year.
Marilyn
Unusual twist on adultery...
Dianne
A senior editor and a junior editor from the same publishing company attend a book fair and have a two-day affair. Our hero, despite being happily and comfortably married with a daughter he adores, decides to take his colleague up on her offer of a fling, assuming no one will know. But the colleague is murdered and the secret is out. His wife is furious, but he appears to be convinced that eventually she will get over it. I was left pondering the ease with which men cheat on their wives. It seem ...more
Kathy Mcdonald
Dan Fielding is a successful middle aged editor who lives in an upper middle class neighbourhood in Toronto and is happily married with a fifteen year old daughter. The catalyst of the story is the murder of a junior editor while the two attend the Frankfurt book fair. What is left unresolved by Richard Wright is what Fielding would have done had the young woman not been murdered.
Margarita
There is a strong hook at the beginning that is well developed for about 2/3 of the novel. However, the last 1/3 of the novel feels long and many parts quite unnecessary. Wright takes an unusual approach to the notion of adultery, choosing to spend more time on the family of Denise than on Fielding's family. Not quite sure it fully works, but it's a page turner nonetheless.
Lauren
A great idea for a story with alot of potential, but I found it to be a disappointing read. It covered such a short period of time in excessive detail. The detail wasn't interesting enough to justify the level of detail. I guess this was the style the author was going for, however I did not find this style enjoyable at all.
Bachyboy
It is amazing what the Naseby library can come up with! There were some moments of bad writing in this book but generally it was compelling. After 17 years of marriage, the main character commits adultery with disasterous results. One gets the feeling he should have known better.
Firman
Novel yang keberjalanannya lambat, tapi mengajarkan bahwa sebuah keputusan dalam satu momen bisa mengubah hidup seseorang.

Sudut pandangnya dari sisi lelaki, yang terjatuh dan mencari 'pengampunan'? entahlah kurang tahu kata yang tepat :))
Emily Gray
A mix between a thriller and a study on grief and betrayal and eventaul absolution. A good read - and an easy read. I would reccomend it as a holiday book because it is a page turner and substantial enough in plot to keep you interested.
Deborah Ideiosepius
This is the second or third time I have tried to read this book. It will be the last attempt because I still cannot summon the interest in the plot or characters enough to keep me going past the first quarter of the book.
Claire
Book Club

The caption reads like an interesting novel. But getting through the book, I sensed that it was a slow developping storyline. I guess it matches the surrounding seaside mood.
M  F
I had a hard time staying engaged in this one...I was looking forward to some engrossing Canadiana, and it just wasn't written in a way that held my attention. Fitting, I suppose.
Bonnie Middleton
Easy read, I liked the references to familiar Ontario towns... Scared me in the beginning. It made me wonder how often people make a choice like this that turns into a nightmare.
Mary
A week in the life of a man whos impulsive affair in the UK goes wrong; the aftermath (its impact on both families) is the focus of the story. ...more
Debbie
I loved this book. Every man's nightmare. I love how one mistake can change your life so completely and in every part of your life.
Sharon
Characters were much too sympathetic to the adulterer; not realistic. Mediocre writing.
Jacqueline Worboys
Good, fast read of possible consequences of adultery. Compelling.
  • Testament
  • A Student of Weather
  • Changing Heaven
  • Suddenly
  • Waiting for Joe
  • A Jest of God
  • Exit Lines
  • The Time In Between
  • Can You Hear the Nightbird Call?
  • Summer Gone
  • Broken Ground
  • The Ladies' Lending Library
  • Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen
  • Every Time We Say Goodbye
Richard B. Wright is a Canadian novelist.

Born in Midland, Ontario, Wright attended Trent University, from which he graduated in 1970. He is the author of 13 published novels and two children's books. Many of his older novels were out of print, but were republished after his novel Clara Callan won three of Canada's major literary awards in 2001: the Giller Prize; the Trillium Book Award; and the Go
More about Richard B. Wright...
Clara Callan October Mr. Shakespeare's Bastard Weekend Man The Age Of Longing: A Novel