The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country, #5)

The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country #5)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Years ago, Rebecca Beachy kept her reasons for rejecting Gideon Troyer's marriage proposal a secret. Then Gideon left their Amish community. Now, Rebecca crafts quilts to raise money to cure her blindness. She's also busy guarding her heart against love. Until Gideon returns, at risk of being shunned, to make the winning bid on one of her exquisite quilts. Will the quilt—a...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2011)

Shari Larsen
Gideon Troyer left his Amish community years ago after his long time girlfriend, Rebecca Beachy, rejected him. He fulfilled his dreams of becoming a pilot. He had no desire to return home until he sees a tv news story about Rebecca; he discovers that she is blind, and a quilt she made is going to be auctioned off to raise money for surgery that could restore her sight.

Gideon returns to Hope Springs, so that he can buy the quilt to help Rebecca; he also spends time her when a snowstorm prevents h...more
Title: THE CHRISTMAS QUILT
Author: Patricia Davids
Publisher: Love Inspired
December 2011
ISBN: 978-0-373-81588-3
Genre: Inspirational/Contemporary Romance/Amish

Gideon Troyer left his Amish community years ago after his long-time lover, Rebecca Beachy, rejected him. He fulfilled his dreams of becoming a pilot, and made more money than he knows what to do with. But returning home is the last thing on his agenda—until he sees a television broadcast about a quilt auction to help fund a surgery to hopef...more
Lorie
This is the story of Gideon and Rebecca. Gideon left the faith years ago when Rebecca refused his marriage proposal. He decided to get into flying since that was always his love and he had to leave the Amish community since that is forbidden by the Amish. Rebecca is blind and consided an old maid in her community. She feels nobody wants her because she is blind and will not make a good wife. She lives with her aunt and they help each other. The story opens with Rebecca selling a quilt at an auti...more
Rachel Brand
This was a really sweet story, if a bit contrived in places. I actually ended up walking a partially-blind friend home last night (his sight is affected by light, so he can see well in daylight but not at all at nighttime) and I think this book gave me a better appreciation for what it means to be blind. I definitely preferred this book to the other one I've read by this author, An Amish Christmas, but I still found it a bit predictable in places. But I did like reading about all the secondary c...more
Gail
First time I have read from this author. I am very happy with this author too!!! As I read the Christmas Quilt the words in the story I could tell what was going on I didn't know how it was going to end so had to keep reading. Rebecca Beachy & Gideon Troyer now these two I thought were very nice together. But somethings happened in their lives & they didn't see each other for many years. As you read the story you will learn that even though they lived far apart for many years, something...more
Rita
This is the first book I've read by Patricia Davids. The story, one of redemption and hope, took me on an emotional roller coaster ride. Although I liked all the characters, I think Gideon was my favorite. His kind heart was so touching. I think even readers who don't typically like Amish fiction would enjoy this one.
Kim Justice
Secrets, quilting, proposals, Amish, okay this is just a few of the things that caught my attention and held it all the way through this book.

The characters here are so intertwined in the mystery of the amazing story line that you are captivated threw out the book. From the beginning to the end Rebecca Beachy is a lady that you just want to shake.. But also the other characters interact so that you are in love with them all and want to see what happens next, as well as wanting more at the end....more
John Hanscom
Actually, 3 1/2, a nice sweet story. I learned from this novel even the Amish have "denominations," and a "liberal" vs. "conservative" issue, with strict "Old Order" sects, such as the Swartzentruber Amish" being strict even by Amish standards. I learned that each Amish Bishop has leeway in interpreting the
"ordnung," and some are more "liberal" than others, even in the same general area. I also learned that Amish women wear the white "kapps" as the Bible, taken literally, says women should cove...more
Busylizzy111
Not only for christmas...

The story is set among the Amish in Ohio. Pilot Gideon Troyer sees a Newscast about a charity action for the blind Rebecca Beachy - the woman he once loved - and decides to go back home to support her anonymously.

What follows is predictable, but the circumstances make the story: Why did Rebecca refuse Gideons proposal of marriage? Is it possible for Gideon to go back and live the simple amish life? Is he really willing to give up his passion for flying and his business t...more
Tammy Bernadt
It was ok. I usually get in a book, I didn't have it with this story.
Loraine
Rebecca Beachy and Gideon Troyer reconnect in this Christmas novel. Due to misunderstandings many years prior, Gideon leaves the Amish community and goes "Englisch" to pursue his love of flying. But now as problems develop for Rebecca, he wonders if he has made the right choice and if it is possible for a Christmas miracle for them.

I have been somewhat burned out on Amish novels as so many of the storylines are similar in nature, but I really enjoyed this sweet story of Rebecca and Gideon as it...more
Carolyn E
Another great story by Patricia Davids. I read the first four books in this series and loved all of them. Somehow, The Christmas Quilt fell through the cracks. But I finished it yesterday and loved it.

This is a great series!! I am always looking for more from this author; she is one of my favorites.
Ruth
This was more of a 3 1/2 to be honest. It was a fairly quick read and was overall a really sweet story. There were a few parts of the story that got a bit awkward for me, and the writing itself admittedly lost me in a few places which keeps me from giving a full 4 stars, but it was still an enjoyable read. Definitely predictable, but I read few enough pure romances like this to really care too much.
Martha
A compelling story about an Amish man who left the faith only to find his former girlfriend had lost her siht. Yes, it's a romance but sometimes, we need a bit o romance in our lives. Sometimes, we also need to explore our own faith and decide where we land. Ultimately, it's each of us who make a choice. We have to deide what's right or us, not what others tell us to think or believe.
Janie  R.
This was a beautiful sweet love story,I fell in love with Gideon-one of the main characters. This story was also about forgiveness in all relationships-beginning with family.It's about when a person loves another with everything they got..accepting that person with whatever they come- there are no obstacles whatsoever! Thanks for a wonderful story, Patricia Davids!

Julie
This was book 5 in a series. Although it can be a stand-alone book, reading the previous books lets you know more about the characters in the book. The book had a good love story and talked about forgiveness to ourselves and others. I enjoyed the book, although it was a very simply written story.
Anne
All I can say is Patricia Davids does it again. I love learning about the Amish and how strong their faith is. I also like learning about why they do and don't do things. Great story!
Cupoftea
I read The Christmas Quilt in just a few hours. It is a sweet story of love and faith rediscovered. Patricia David's story was just what I needed after a serious and weighty tome.
Pat Oringer
Beautifully rendered picture of the realities of life and the hope of God "sewn" together with tender romance. If you love Amish fiction, you CANNOT go wrong with Patricia Davids!
Clara Roberts
This was one of the two of five books I selected to read the week I had a bad head cold. It was a pleasant read. It was a combination mystery and romance novel.
E. R.
Well, this is my first book from this author. Also, it is my first book featuring Amish romance. I took a chance and found it enlightening and enriching.
Carol
Received as a GoodReads giveaway. Predictable, but a sweet, satisfying romance.
Julie Jones
This was a very sweet romance. It was a bit predictable, but a nice read all the same.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Brides of Amish Country
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Brides of Amish Country
Dorothy
a quick and delightful read
Diamond Jones
I really enjoyed this book.
Janet Page
Beautiful story
PWRL
Feb 25, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • A Plain & Fancy Christmas
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster County
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • The Christmas Singing: A Romance from the Heart of Amish Country
  • The Protector (Families of Honor, #2)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • The Amish Bride (Women of Lancaster County #3)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
I was born and raised in Northcentral Kansas. I'm a farmer's daughter, but I now make my home in the city of Wichita. I'm an RN. Neonatal nursing has been the main focus of my career. What can I say? I love babies. I was invited to the highschool graduation of a baby I took care of. Talk about making me feel old!

In June of 2011 I became a widow after my husband of 36 years and 11 months died from...more
More about Patricia Davids...
Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1) An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3) The Doctor's Blessing (Brides of Amish Country, #2) The Farmer Next Door (Brides of Amish Country, #4) A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)