Start by marking “Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel” as Want to Read:
Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel

Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Child of prophecy? Harbinger of Doom

Zaltys is a girl like any other to grow up ranging thejungles of the Southern Lluirwood. She’s a crack shot with a bow and no stranger to the dangers that lurk beneath the deep forest canopy.

On expedition with her family to harvest the forbidden terazul flower, a powerful drug that has gathered many a dreamer into its narcotic embrace, Z
Published March 6th 2012 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Venom in Her Veins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Venom in Her Veins

Venom in Her Veins is a stand-alone novel set in the Forgotten Realms universe of Dungeons and Dragons tie-in novel line. Other books by Tim Pratt are The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl, The Nex, Briarpatch, and City of the Fallen Sky. He's written an ongoing series Marla Mason which includes; Blood Engines, Bone Sleep, Dead Reign, Spell Games, Broken Mirrors, Grim Tides, and a prequel Bone Shop. He has edited an anthology titled Sympathy for the Devil, as well as having a few collected works; ...more
Believe it or not this was my first Forgotten Realms book that wasn't R.A. Salvatore and I picked it up based on the rating of someone whose opinion I respect.

It's pretty different than the Drizzt books. Set in the jungles of the Southern Lluirwood and eventually in the Underdark - the tale follows Zaltys and her family (think fantasy mafia) while they harvest the drugs they sell to make themselves incredibly rich.

There were portions of this book where I knew it was going to be 5 stars and then
When I received Venom in her Veins, It was the first time I had spent with Mr. Pratt. I did look him up and given his track record (positive feedback from other novels), I was excited to try out something new.

I will spare going to deep in to the story as it can be read in the book description. The novel flows well, from setup, to character building, to building up to the climax, nothing was under or over written. The characters are fleshed out enough to understand, and to relate to. Zaltys and
I had originally rated this book at 4 stars but the characters kept coming back to mind. I simply could not banish them from my thoughts. To me, if you can't get the characters out of your head then that is a 5 star book.

The premise of Venom diverged a but from the typical "one of evil race turns good", in this case the character did not know her heritage and was brought up never knowing what she really was. If I could pick a central theme in this book it would be family. Honor to family above a
Every kid grows up questioning their life, their past and whether or not they fit. Most kid grow-up feeling like they don’t fit in. What if you were right? What if you were different? What if you didn’t belong? Venom in her Veins by Tim Pratt tells the story of Zaltys, a young girl adopted into a rich business family and instantly made trade royalty. She travels with her mother’s caravan into deep jungles in order to harvest plants, herbs and specific addictive drug from which the family’s empir ...more
Venon in Her Veins is a novel that's a little off the beaten path that is the Forgotten Realms. It takes place in the dense jungles near Delzimmer, a place that really hasn't seen much development in recent years. The book features Zaltys, the adopted daughter of a huge merchant family that makes a killing producing a narcotic from the Terazul flowers that grow deep in the dangerous jungle.

Characters - Nearly every character in this book is amazing. Zaltys in particular is really great, she'
I'm becoming a bit disappointed by the single D&D books. They lack the quality and depth the larger volumes (e.g. most of the trilogies) have. This one is no exception. Sure, it's a decent enough read, but it doesn't really make much use of the Forgotten Realms setting (it could be set in any fantasy land) and there isn't enough depth or characterization.

This novel is OK if you're looking for something to pass two evenings with, but nothing more than that. The characters are shallow, the plo
Edward Pease
This is a difficult novel to review. When I read the novel I was glued to the pages, reading it in only a few hours. I cared deeply for the characters, was upset when they failed or when they met untimely ends, and excited with their successes and growth. The story was well timed and had a good rhythm. I never sensed a lull long enough in the action and storytelling to lose interest. I loved the ending and how it both tied together the loose ends while also leaving space for further character de ...more
This novel had me initially concerned that it was written in the perspective of the Yuan-Ti culture. I pleasantly found out that not to be the case. While their perspective on the world was interesting I think this book had the right level of content about it for my taste. The story kept me wanting to read even though time wouldn't allow me to.

The question of what is Good and what is Evil is very present. It was enjoyable to read the different characters analyze and discover their definition of
Overall Rating:2.5/5

Venom in Her Veins was my first foray in to the Forgotten Realms. In need of a break from heavier material, I went to a local bookstore and after a quick look at the fantasy section, I picked this book up. I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised once I started reading it.

Tim Pratt did a fine job drawing me in to the book; I was hooked immediately, and managed to finish the book in a couple of hours. It was a nice, quick read, and I like the idea of the terazul fl
I read a lot of Forgotten Realms novels, and I was a little worried when I picked this one up. First, it takes place in a relatively remote area in the far southeast corner of the world and from the jacket copy it was clear this story was about Yuan-ti (snake people) and the jungle, two things that don’t exactly light my interest on fire. It’s also the first Realms novel for Tim Pratt, and unknown author to me. Basically, there was a formula here for a real stinker, but boy, was I wrong.

I didn’t
Not a bad book, for what it was. The characters, though fairly stereotypical for the most part, were believable and occasionally likeable; the plot and writing were both largely decent; and there even were a twist or two I genuinely didn't see coming.

On the other hand, some of the dialogue in particular felt a little stilted; the portrayal of the derro wasn't very convincing at times (though admittedly it has to be difficult to get a chronically insane race "right"); and I didn't find the way ce
A fun, easy read. The author presents the main characters as a nature v nurture debate as she is born to an evil race, but raised by humans. The end result of the debate is fairly interesting.

Some of the plot points are a little bizarre, even for a D&D novel, but overall, the author weaves an interesting story with satisfying resolution of both minor subplots and over-arching plots. I liked it enough to look for more from this author.
Venom In Her Veins was a fun book. It wasn't very well written, but it was enjoyable, and I read in in one sitting. It was worth the hour of baby sitting for ten dollars to cover the cost. Not many of the characters were all that memorable, but some happened to stand out, like Glory, a purple-haired tiefling. Venom In Her Veins is a great read for a vacation, not light hearted, but not too serious.
Quality read, good ending and overall story.

My only real concerns were the believability of the characters behaviors and dialogue. I found this especially true for Julien and Glory, less so with other characters. Metaphors and Similes often don't seem to line up with the setting or environment. Nice book nonetheless
I am loving this book. I am generally not a fantasy book lover, this one might very well change my mind. I am finding myself having a difficult time putting it down, so onward with the adventure!
Finished this one and although I enjoyed it, it seemed as if it was a bit rushed in the ending and left me wishing there was more.
Fun read. The story has an interesting focus on the main character. The author manages to have more powerful people surround the main character without over shadowing her. I would recommend this as a quick enjoyable read.
Excellent writing but unless you follow the gaming system, lot of sections lose their impact. I enjoyed the book, but large bits of history and information just was not there for me as a non gamer.
It's been a while since I've read a D&D novel, and this one is quite good. You definitely cannot hear the dice rolling as you read. Recommended.
I was surprised that this was pretty darn good read.
David marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Mark added it
Nov 01, 2015
Saksham marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
  • Unbroken Chain (Forgotten Realms: Unbroken Chain, #1)
  • Hand of the Hunter (Chosen of Nendawen, #2) (Forgotten Realms)
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)
  • Whisper of Venom (Brotherhood of the Griffon #2)
  • Avenger (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #3)
  • Realms of the Dragons II (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #10)
  • Obsidian Ridge (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #2)
  • City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • City of Torment (Forgotten Realms: Abolethic Sovereignty, #2)
  • The Sea Devil's Eye (Forgotten Realms: The Threat from the Sea, #3)
  • The Emerald Sceptre (Forgotten Realms: The Scions of Arrabar, #3)
  • Circle of Skulls (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, #6)
  • Murder in Halruaa (Forgotten Realms: Mysteries, #2)