Start by marking “Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel” as Want to Read:
Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel

Venom in Her Veins: A Forgotten Realms Novel (Forgotten Realms)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Child of prophecy? Harbinger of Doom

Zaltys is a girl like any other to grow up ranging thejungles of the Southern Lluirwood. She’s a crack shot with a bow and no stranger to the dangers that lurk beneath the deep forest canopy.

On expedition with her family to harvest the forbidden terazul flower, a powerful drug that has gathered many a dreamer into its narcotic embrace, Z
Published March 6th 2012 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Venom in Her Veins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Venom in Her Veins

Travis
Aug 01, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Venom in Her Veins is a stand-alone novel set in the Forgotten Realms universe of Dungeons and Dragons tie-in novel line. Other books by Tim Pratt are The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl, The Nex, Briarpatch, and City of the Fallen Sky. He's written an ongoing series Marla Mason which includes; Blood Engines, Bone Sleep, Dead Reign, Spell Games, Broken Mirrors, Grim Tides, and a prequel Bone Shop. He has edited an anthology titled Sympathy for the Devil, as well as having a few collected works; ...more
Scott
Aug 19, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Believe it or not this was my first Forgotten Realms book that wasn't R.A. Salvatore and I picked it up based on the rating of someone whose opinion I respect.

It's pretty different than the Drizzt books. Set in the jungles of the Southern Lluirwood and eventually in the Underdark - the tale follows Zaltys and her family (think fantasy mafia) while they harvest the drugs they sell to make themselves incredibly rich.

There were portions of this book where I knew it was going to be 5 stars and then
Jason
Jun 27, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I received Venom in her Veins, It was the first time I had spent with Mr. Pratt. I did look him up and given his track record (positive feedback from other novels), I was excited to try out something new.

I will spare going to deep in to the story as it can be read in the book description. The novel flows well, from setup, to character building, to building up to the climax, nothing was under or over written. The characters are fleshed out enough to understand, and to relate to. Zaltys and
Stefan
Apr 02, 2012 Stefan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had originally rated this book at 4 stars but the characters kept coming back to mind. I simply could not banish them from my thoughts. To me, if you can't get the characters out of your head then that is a 5 star book.

The premise of Venom diverged a but from the typical "one of evil race turns good", in this case the character did not know her heritage and was brought up never knowing what she really was. If I could pick a central theme in this book it would be family. Honor to family above a
Larry
Sep 15, 2014 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forgotten-realms
Every kid grows up questioning their life, their past and whether or not they fit. Most kid grow-up feeling like they don’t fit in. What if you were right? What if you were different? What if you didn’t belong? Venom in her Veins by Tim Pratt tells the story of Zaltys, a young girl adopted into a rich business family and instantly made trade royalty. She travels with her mother’s caravan into deep jungles in order to harvest plants, herbs and specific addictive drug from which the family’s empir ...more
Rob
Venon in Her Veins is a novel that's a little off the beaten path that is the Forgotten Realms. It takes place in the dense jungles near Delzimmer, a place that really hasn't seen much development in recent years. The book features Zaltys, the adopted daughter of a huge merchant family that makes a killing producing a narcotic from the Terazul flowers that grow deep in the dangerous jungle.

Pros

Characters - Nearly every character in this book is amazing. Zaltys in particular is really great, she'
Stefan
Mar 11, 2012 Stefan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm becoming a bit disappointed by the single D&D books. They lack the quality and depth the larger volumes (e.g. most of the trilogies) have. This one is no exception. Sure, it's a decent enough read, but it doesn't really make much use of the Forgotten Realms setting (it could be set in any fantasy land) and there isn't enough depth or characterization.

This novel is OK if you're looking for something to pass two evenings with, but nothing more than that. The characters are shallow, the plo
Edward Pease
This is a difficult novel to review. When I read the novel I was glued to the pages, reading it in only a few hours. I cared deeply for the characters, was upset when they failed or when they met untimely ends, and excited with their successes and growth. The story was well timed and had a good rhythm. I never sensed a lull long enough in the action and storytelling to lose interest. I loved the ending and how it both tied together the loose ends while also leaving space for further character de ...more
Nicholas
Jul 11, 2012 Nicholas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel had me initially concerned that it was written in the perspective of the Yuan-Ti culture. I pleasantly found out that not to be the case. While their perspective on the world was interesting I think this book had the right level of content about it for my taste. The story kept me wanting to read even though time wouldn't allow me to.

The question of what is Good and what is Evil is very present. It was enjoyable to read the different characters analyze and discover their definition of
David
Overall Rating:2.5/5

Venom in Her Veins was my first foray in to the Forgotten Realms. In need of a break from heavier material, I went to a local bookstore and after a quick look at the fantasy section, I picked this book up. I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised once I started reading it.

Tim Pratt did a fine job drawing me in to the book; I was hooked immediately, and managed to finish the book in a couple of hours. It was a nice, quick read, and I like the idea of the terazul fl
Matthew
Jun 25, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of Forgotten Realms novels, and I was a little worried when I picked this one up. First, it takes place in a relatively remote area in the far southeast corner of the world and from the jacket copy it was clear this story was about Yuan-ti (snake people) and the jungle, two things that don’t exactly light my interest on fire. It’s also the first Realms novel for Tim Pratt, and unknown author to me. Basically, there was a formula here for a real stinker, but boy, was I wrong.

I didn’t
W.A.
Michael
Not a bad book, for what it was. The characters, though fairly stereotypical for the most part, were believable and occasionally likeable; the plot and writing were both largely decent; and there even were a twist or two I genuinely didn't see coming.

On the other hand, some of the dialogue in particular felt a little stilted; the portrayal of the derro wasn't very convincing at times (though admittedly it has to be difficult to get a chronically insane race "right"); and I didn't find the way ce
King274
Sep 01, 2013 King274 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Kat
A fun, easy read. The author presents the main characters as a nature v nurture debate as she is born to an evil race, but raised by humans. The end result of the debate is fairly interesting.

Some of the plot points are a little bizarre, even for a D&D novel, but overall, the author weaves an interesting story with satisfying resolution of both minor subplots and over-arching plots. I liked it enough to look for more from this author.
Maggie
Mar 28, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Venom In Her Veins was a fun book. It wasn't very well written, but it was enjoyable, and I read in in one sitting. It was worth the hour of baby sitting for ten dollars to cover the cost. Not many of the characters were all that memorable, but some happened to stand out, like Glory, a purple-haired tiefling. Venom In Her Veins is a great read for a vacation, not light hearted, but not too serious.
Christopher
Jan 17, 2013 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quality read, good ending and overall story.

My only real concerns were the believability of the characters behaviors and dialogue. I found this especially true for Julien and Glory, less so with other characters. Metaphors and Similes often don't seem to line up with the setting or environment. Nice book nonetheless
Billiejo
Mar 09, 2013 Billiejo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this book. I am generally not a fantasy book lover, this one might very well change my mind. I am finding myself having a difficult time putting it down, so onward with the adventure!
Finished this one and although I enjoyed it, it seemed as if it was a bit rushed in the ending and left me wishing there was more.
Taylor
Jun 19, 2013 Taylor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. The story has an interesting focus on the main character. The author manages to have more powerful people surround the main character without over shadowing her. I would recommend this as a quick enjoyable read.
Stephanie
Mar 15, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent writing but unless you follow the gaming system, lot of sections lose their impact. I enjoyed the book, but large bits of history and information just was not there for me as a non gamer.
Jon
May 30, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I've read a D&D novel, and this one is quite good. You definitely cannot hear the dice rolling as you read. Recommended.
Nov 22, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that this was pretty darn good read.
Greg W
Greg W rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Marcio
Marcio marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Sean Watson
Sean Watson rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Chris Janson
Chris Janson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
  • Unbroken Chain (Forgotten Realms: Unbroken Chain, #1)
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)
  • Avenger (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #3)
  • The Spectral Blaze (Brotherhood of the Griffon #3)
  • Hand of the Hunter (Chosen of Nendawen, #2) (Forgotten Realms)
  • The Fanged Crown (Forgotten Realms: The Wilds, #1)
  • Lies of Light (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #2)
  • City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • Circle of Skulls (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, #6)
  • Obsidian Ridge (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #2)
  • The Edge of Chaos (Forgotten Realms: The Wilds, #3)
  • The Emerald Sceptre (Forgotten Realms: The Scions of Arrabar, #3)
  • Plague of Spells (Forgotten Realms: Abolethic Sovereignty, #1)

Forgotten Realms (1 - 10 of 284 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)