Start by marking “God Gave Us You” as Want to Read:
God Gave Us You

God Gave Us You (God Gave Us)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  70 reviews
When a charming polar bear cub climbs into bed one night, she asks her Mama a very important question--one that little "human cubs" often wonder about, too: "Where did I come from?"

Published November 30th 2011 by WaterBrook Press (first published September 19th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about God Gave Us You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Gave Us You

Dustin
Jan 16, 2013 Dustin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any parent or soon-to-be parent.

My wife, Tanya, and I picked this out together to read to Carter. It was the second book we acquired for our little guy, the first being Goodnight Moon.

Anyway, we'd been rather lax at reading to him, so we did just that last night. As Tanya held him, his eyes and rapt attention never left me as I read it aloud. It is an experience I hope to never forget; not due to the story (which is very similar to ours, BTW,) but simply for the once-in-a-lifetime experience, the bond shared between the thre
Jolene
“Where did I come from?” An innocent question with a complex answer. In God Gave Us You, Little Cub asks this question of her Mama who replies that “God Gave Us You.” Mama goes on to explain that Little Cub was in her tummy, how they prepared for Little Cub's arrival, and how happy they were when Little Cub finally arrived. Colorful illustrations illustrate the classic theme that children are a precious gift from God.

God Gave Us You, written by Lisa Tawn Bergren and illustrated by Laura J. Bryan
Melissa Roach
Description:

As Mama bear tucks her youngest cub under the quilts, she gently, tenderly, and reassuringly communicates the message loving parents everywhere (bears and non-bears alike) want their little ones to hear: "We wanted you very, very much, and we are so very glad because--"God gave us you."

Perfect for bedtime,
Delia
Absolutely delightful! What a wonderful way to answer the inevitable question that every child eventually asks: Where did I come from?

This sturdy children’s board book offers a beautifully illustrated story about a young bear cub who presents that very question to her mother. Mama’s wise, thoughtful answers are sure to build self-esteem and confidence in young listeners and/or readers, as each reply to Little Cub’s numerous queries reinforce the overall answer: You are a treasured gift from God.
Kitty Bullard
LISA TAWN BERGREN'S "GOD GAVE US YOU" (A REVIEW)

This was a beautiful little book meant for ages 0 to 5 years. The story employs the theme of a family of polar bears telling their young cub how she came to be and why they were so blessed by God to have her. A definite must read for any family with children of this age. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is simply adorable.

-Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud Book Club

Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.probo...
Sheri Salatin
God Gave Us You is an illustrated board book perfect for children ages 1-3 years. It is a short story about a baby polar bear asking the question, "Mama, where did I come from?"

"From God," Her mother answered. "Your papa and I were alone and we wanted a baby."

"And you got me?" Little Cub asked, her voice muffled by the covers.

"Yes, my special child. God gave us you."

The pictures are colorful and engaging for young minds and the story is very sweet. It drives home the point that children come fro
Tori
This is the second book I have reviewed written by Lisa Tawn Bergren and I am now officially a faithful fan of hers. This is an amazing children's book. The illustrations were done by Laura J. Bryant and they are amazing as well. Here's a bit of a description about the book:

A baby polar bear cub climbs into bed and asks her Mama Bear where she came from. The Mama bear tells her how much she was wanted and how much they love her. Then she lovingly responds "God gave us you" She then goes on to e
Kaylea
Small (15 pages) but adorable, Lisa Tawn Bergren and Laura J. Bryant have created a beautiful board book (and series) revolving around a little bear and her quest to know things.

God Gave Us You, is designed to answer Little Cub's question, "Where Did I Come From."

The book provides a sweet, yet honest way to tell a child how they were born - through the eyes of Little Cub and her folks.

It's definitely a book for birth parents - since Little Cub "grows" inside of mommy's tummy. In fact, Bergren sa
Lynn  Davidson
God Gave Us You is a richly illustrated board book with artwork that depicts the tenderness between parents and their baby. This book is just the right size for small hands. Its sentiment is comforting and clearly stated for a child to understand.

As mother bear is tucking her little cub into bed one night, she is asked the question most children ask at some time, “Where did I come from?” Mother Bear answers, “From God”, and then goes into just enough detail to settle the question without it bein
Margaret
When I found out that this board book was coming my way I was full of pure delight! What perfect timing too as it is here just in time for AppleBlossom's second birthday! A great addition to her shelf and a great way to talk more about her little sister who should arrive within the next few weeks... I love Lisa's Christian Historical Fiction for adults, and I'm learning to love her Young Adult series too (in my TBR pile...). It is without explaination needed to say that I also have come to love ...more
Wendycarlson3
This is a sweet book about a baby polar bear cub going through her "why" stage, asking her Mommy questions about where she came from and about being born. Most of Mommy's answers were simply "because God gave us you". There are 2 more books in this series that are just as sweet and helpful in answering those infamous "why" questions.
Kymberly
Be prepared to cry!
A great read for your child and a good way to help answer the question "where did I come from?"
A very cute story where a young cub asks his mom where he came from and the mama bear explains her pregnancy and birth of her cub (in a kid friendly way of course) I just love this story!
Melissa Rheinlander
This book is completely adorable!! The illustrations are absolutely beautiful! This story is so well written and easy for a child to understand. It also uniquely tells the story of creation in a way that the little "human cubs" can understand and not get confused by all the adult language that goes along with this topic. It also takes the awkwardness away if your child is asking questions about where babies come from... no fretting over what to say or how to explain it. This is such a loving sto ...more
Robert
Baby bear asks his mother where he came from. Mother bear explains that God gave him to her. Baby bear kept asking why questions about his birth. The answer always incorporated God's gift.

The illustrations in this are very soft and tender, just as the text is.
****
Fritz selected this as tonight's bedtime story. He kept thinking I was making fun of the story title when I read the repetitious line throughout the story. After tucking him in, I peaked in. He looked at me. I told him I loved him becau
Micah Carter
This is such a cute story!One of my favorties!So sweet!
Mckinley
I would have liked this much more if the illustrations weren't animals.
Mymcbooks
I have read several books by Lisa Tawn Bergren and this would bring tears to your eyes. Just like any child, little Cub wanted to know where she came from. And her mother replied, “From God”, without going into full detail on how babies are made. Explaining that little Cub is a gift from God; she shared how excited they both were to be parents, praying for a healthy and strong cub. This book was beautifully illustrated by Laura J Bryant. This is an excellent book and will make a great gift for M ...more
Kelli
A sweet touching read.
I choke up every time I read this book to my son. It's beautiful.
Anne
Gentle and heartwarming! I loved the illustrations, especially the daddy bear listening to the baby bear in mommy bear’s tummy while the “doctor” bear listens to the heartbeat with a stethoscope. Just precious!

This is an adorable way to show a child how excited you are when expecting a baby, especially the child you are reading the story to.

Simply put…it’s sweet and any child would be blessed to spend time wrapped in mommy or daddy’s arms while being read this charming book!
Heli Patel
I loved the book. I read it to my little sister, and she now has no questions about where Babies come from. The book seemed to answer her curious questions. I loved the illustrations and the soft language that was throughout the whole book. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a curious little 4 or a 5 year old around. Great book for a beginning reader. Lots of Love was enclosed in this book between Mother, and the Little Cub.
Marilyn
Mama polar bear explains to baby how much they anticipated her coming, how mom's belly got huge as she grew and how Dad would sing to her in mom's belly because he wanted her to recognize his voice when she came out. Mama says she hoped baby would have a healthy heart and straight bones, but mostly that she would love God because God gave baby to Mama. It's beautiful. My summary does not do it justice.
Sherri
I don't know how anyone is expected to read this book to their child!!!
I first time I went through it I started choking up. I don't think my son is going to want me to read him anymore books if I cry all the time, hahaha

Such a sweet story! The best children's book I've found so far!
I know what to give as a gift when I get my next baby shower invite!

I won the book in a giveaway.
Jessica Vandrovec
This is not a book I could read in my classroom but I have shared it with families and I read it to my own children. It helps to answer that questions we get as parents "Where did I come from?"

Lisa Tawn Bergren has a series of books that I highly recommend!
"God Gave Us Heaven"
"God Gave Us Two"
"God Gave Us Love"
"God Found Us You"
"God Gave Us So Much"

Maureen Timerman
Lisa Tawn Bergren has written a delightful Christian book for a toddler. The book kept my little ones attention right to the end. Really sweet way to explain how the little bear came to live with his folks. The illustrations are darling, and show a loving family really wanting what God has chosen to give them.
I highly recommend this wonderful book!
Heather
My husband bought this for my son Slade before he was born. We read it to him often. It is a wonderful story told by a mother polar bear to her inquisitive child. It is about the mother's preganancy, excitement, and birth of the baby polar bear, and she keeps repeating to her child "because God gave us you." It makes me cry.
Allison
I love this book. I think the illustrations are darling, and it sums up parents' love for their children beautifully. This was given to our daughter for her baptism by her grandparents. I also like that the author, Lisa Tawn Bergren, wrote "God Found Us You" for adoptive families.
Chelsea
I received this book through a GoodReads First Reads giveaway. It is obviously a children's book and a really cute one at that. My kids really enjoyed me reading this to them. It is a sweet story and the illustrations are adorable! My children and I really liked this book!
Jillberry
This series is SO encouraging to little ones, assuring them they are secure in their family! Even though the child is birthed into this family, it is also beneficial for adopted children. The phrase is repeated over and over, "because God gave us you!"
Brent Foley
As an adult eagerly anticipating the opportunity to become a father, I had a difficult time not getting choked up reading this book to the girls I watch. It's a tender and brilliantly told story of where we come from.
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • If I Could Keep You Little...
  • A You're Adorable
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • On Noah's Ark
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
  • Let Me Hold You Longer (Kingsbury, Karen)
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Me and My Dad
  • On the Day You Were Born
  • Little Quack's New Friend
  • The Birds, the Bees, and the Berenstain Bears (First Time Books)
About

Lisa Tawn Bergren is the best-selling, award-winning author of over 40 books, with more than 2.5 million copies sold. She recently finished a teen series called River of Time (WATERFALL, CASCADE, TORRENT, BOURNE & TRIBUTARY and soon will be done with the last installment, DELUGE). She's also written the Grand Tour Series (GLAMOROUS ILLUSIONS, GRAVE CONSEQUENCES, GLITTERING PROMISES), and
More about Lisa Tawn Bergren...
Waterfall (River of Time, #1) Cascade (River of Time, #2) Torrent (River of Time, #3) Bourne (River of Time, #3.1) Glamorous Illusions (Grand Tour, #1)