Start by marking “Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)

Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  823 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In the years after the first contact, humans and the insect-like Thranx agreed to a tentative sharing of ideas and cultures desite the ingrained repulsion they had to overcome. However they never planned for a chance meeting between a misfit artist and a petty thief.
Published June 1st 1999 by Del Rey (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Phylogenesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phylogenesis

Fred D
Mar 26, 2009 Fred D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: science-fiction
Greg Heath
I made the mistake of reading the fantastic "Drowning World" (which is 4 books out of sequence) prior to this, and as such I'm probably biased in my judgment of Foster's first installment of the Founding of the Commonwealth series. Whereas "Drowning World" is utterly alien through-and-through, "Phylogenesis" is a very subdued first contact story. Foster still gives us a taste of the exotic, though, in his descriptions of the Amazon wilderness and the Thranx protagonist's home colony. The Humanx ...more
Felix
Jan 06, 2013 Felix rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF and A.D. Foster fans
Shelves: science-fiction

Finished reading this book today. I was looking
for another Alan Dean Foster novel to read because
I really enjoy his writing style and having read
the Dammned Trilogy in the past which I really
enjoyed I wanted to start reading another series
of books by him.

I wasn't disappointed :-)

This book started out very well, captured my interest
in just a few pages and it was an enjoyable and funny
read throughout. I just thought that the ending was
rather abrupt and was unexpected (the reason for
rating 4 out of
Andy
This was a wonderful first look at a new universe with new races. This is a story of first contact between two species, and between the most disreputable people that each had to offer. As I read, I couldn't help but think the Thranx were extremely cute in their strong need to be polite at all times. The humans in the story were less pleasant, and I could not empathize very well with the main (human)character.

I will probably read the next book in the series very soon, and cannot wait to learn mor
Dice
Good descriptive writing. I just wasn't super into the story or characters. I did like the ending or I'd have given it 2 stars.
Ilona
Alan Dean Foster's Pip & Flinx books have been favourites of mine for many years but it dawned on me that I have never read book one of the Humanx Commonwealth. Well I am delighted to have rectified that omission as it was just so wonderful. I loved every word and the characters were so well written I was sorry to reach the end and have to leave them behind. Guess my bank account is going to take a big hit in the near future as I get the rest of his Commonwealth books.
Kammera
Well, I am going to read his second novel called "Dirge" ...Just got to get a hold of it. This novel, while bringing in the whole exotic alien element, it also brings you a very colorful local petty thief, Cheelo Montoya whose gritty lifestyle contrasts comically with the main character-an alien Thranx named Des. Enjoyed it much more that i thought i would and I really liked his style of writing.
Eric Westrope
A fairly decent ADF novel, but unlike some of his other works I had a bit of trouble reading all the way through it. To me, it seemed to be lacking something. I really did have force myself go keep reading it to finish the story.
Juan
La historia se desarrolla de una forma poco creíble, salvo el protagonista el relato carece de personajes realmente interesantes. Realmente parece una historia para niños de 8 años.
Dan
Better than I thought it would be seeing as it is more of prequel to how the Humanx commonwealth came about. I am looking forward to more especially the Pip and Flinx series!
Felicia
I didn't make it through the whole book. The premise seemed good, but the writing was just okay. Didn't seem worth the effort of reading it.
Notme
Not particularly innovative or thought-provoking, but a nice piece of entertaining S-F.
colleen
read 07.19.05
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Pete
Pete added it
Dec 16, 2014
Bill Lutowski
Bill Lutowski marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Matthew Poehler
Matthew Poehler marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Benn
Benn marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • The Forlorn
  • The Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • Lazarus Rising (Starfist, #9)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • The Cobra Trilogy
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Shades (Roswell #1)
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • The Tyrant (Raj Whitehall, #8)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)