Start by marking “Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)

Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,126 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In the years after the first contact, humans and the insect-like Thranx agreed to a tentative sharing of ideas and cultures desite the ingrained repulsion they had to overcome. However they never planned for a chance meeting between a misfit artist and a petty thief.
Published June 1st 1999 by Del Rey (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Phylogenesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phylogenesis

Paul
Jul 31, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and the ending took me by surprise and was quite powerful. I struggled to like either of the two protagonists for quite a long time but when their ultimate fates unfolded I realised I had grown to like them more than I thought, purely from my emotional reaction.
The only reason I haven't given this book five stars is because it covers quite a lot of the same ground as the first prequel book 'Nor Crystal Tears'... and not as well.
No time for a longer review as I'm going
Fred D
Feb 28, 2008 Fred D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: science-fiction
Greg Heath
Sep 06, 2010 Greg Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of reading the fantastic "Drowning World" (which is 4 books out of sequence) prior to this, and as such I'm probably biased in my judgment of Foster's first installment of the Founding of the Commonwealth series. Whereas "Drowning World" is utterly alien through-and-through, "Phylogenesis" is a very subdued first contact story. Foster still gives us a taste of the exotic, though, in his descriptions of the Amazon wilderness and the Thranx protagonist's home colony. The Humanx ...more
Dmitry
Im not going to rate it as i didnt finish. Its hard to jump into a saga that started thirty books earlier. Maybe that is why this was slow and opaque. I will file it away i think and if ever i want to read ADF again i will start somewhere closer to the beginning.
Tina
I absolutely loved this novel.

I have a fixed obsession with first contact novels, and this one was very similar to Nor Crystal Tears, but I liked it better – there was a major focus on the human and thranx learning to accept the weird things the other creature did, which I enjoy reading about. Foster did a wonderful job showing how humans appear to the thranx in a way that made sense, but the thranx were strange enough to still be very alien to me; they are very believable as aliens go. It was
Peter Tillman
Rating: "A/A-": a nicely-done human-thranx adventure. Good old-fashioned SF -- light and fun.

Desvendapur is a misfit, a third-rate professional poet on the backwater colony world of Willow-Wane. Hearing a rumor of a secret alien colony, on impulse he sneaks into it and forges a new identity, hoping the weird, smelly "humans" will inspire him, and jump-start his stalled artistic career. Inspiration he gets, plus exotic travel, but at a very high price....

Cheelo Montoya is a ninloco, a small-time
Felix
Jan 05, 2013 Felix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF and A.D. Foster fans
Shelves: science-fiction

Finished reading this book today. I was looking
for another Alan Dean Foster novel to read because
I really enjoy his writing style and having read
the Dammned Trilogy in the past which I really
enjoyed I wanted to start reading another series
of books by him.

I wasn't disappointed :-)

This book started out very well, captured my interest
in just a few pages and it was an enjoyable and funny
read throughout. I just thought that the ending was
rather abrupt and was unexpected (the reason for
rating 4 out of
Andy
Feb 11, 2012 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful first look at a new universe with new races. This is a story of first contact between two species, and between the most disreputable people that each had to offer. As I read, I couldn't help but think the Thranx were extremely cute in their strong need to be polite at all times. The humans in the story were less pleasant, and I could not empathize very well with the main (human)character.

I will probably read the next book in the series very soon, and cannot wait to learn mor
Kammera
Mar 31, 2011 Kammera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I am going to read his second novel called "Dirge" ...Just got to get a hold of it. This novel, while bringing in the whole exotic alien element, it also brings you a very colorful local petty thief, Cheelo Montoya whose gritty lifestyle contrasts comically with the main character-an alien Thranx named Des. Enjoyed it much more that i thought i would and I really liked his style of writing.
Ilona
Dec 21, 2013 Ilona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster's Pip & Flinx books have been favourites of mine for many years but it dawned on me that I have never read book one of the Humanx Commonwealth. Well I am delighted to have rectified that omission as it was just so wonderful. I loved every word and the characters were so well written I was sorry to reach the end and have to leave them behind. Guess my bank account is going to take a big hit in the near future as I get the rest of his Commonwealth books.
Eric Westrope
A fairly decent ADF novel, but unlike some of his other works I had a bit of trouble reading all the way through it. To me, it seemed to be lacking something. I really did have force myself go keep reading it to finish the story.
Juan
May 30, 2013 Juan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La historia se desarrolla de una forma poco creíble, salvo el protagonista el relato carece de personajes realmente interesantes. Realmente parece una historia para niños de 8 años.
Dice
Jun 05, 2014 Dice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good descriptive writing. I just wasn't super into the story or characters. I did like the ending or I'd have given it 2 stars.
Murat
May 28, 2016 Murat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it a bit boring and could not finish. Storytelling is good but story is very slow to my liking
Leland Gilsen
Oct 02, 2015 Leland Gilsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The language of an uneducated gutter thief was too complex too many times to seem likely but a excellent addition to the commonwealth series. Some wry wit. Read the series.
Dan
Sep 22, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I thought it would be seeing as it is more of prequel to how the Humanx commonwealth came about. I am looking forward to more especially the Pip and Flinx series!
Felicia
I didn't make it through the whole book. The premise seemed good, but the writing was just okay. Didn't seem worth the effort of reading it.
Leslie Jordan
Dec 09, 2012 Leslie Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got so attached to the thranx :( the last chapter felt a little rushed to me, but I really enjoyed the book overall.
Angus
Angus rated it liked it
May 05, 2012
Andreas van Rooyen
Andreas van Rooyen rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
باهر ضياء
باهر ضياء rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
James
James rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
Daniel Neal
Daniel Neal rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Rollin Reeve
Rollin Reeve rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
David Hess
David Hess rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Thomas Grover
Thomas Grover rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Shades (Roswell #1)
  • The Forlorn
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Lazarus Rising (Starfist, #9)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Founding of the Commonwealth (3 books)
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • Diuturnity's Dawn (Founding of the Commonwealth, #3)

“he had never killed anyone before. He still felt the same. The pistol had done the killing, not him. The man had set if off himself, as a consequence of his own idiotic actions.” 0 likes