Start by marking “Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout” as Want to Read:
Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout

Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout (Fear Itself)

Young Loki is at a severe disadvantage: everyone in Asgard remembers him from his previous life - but they're all strangers to him, and they fully intend to keep it that way. Desperate, Loki conjures up a mystical means of eavesdropping on their private thoughts, but what he learns doesn't make him happy. even worse, the lesson itself may just cost him his life! Then: ...more
Published March 28th 2012 by Marvel

Miriam
Oct 27, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, mythology
There was a lot of good stuff here -- almost too much. It felt like too much was packed in and not adequate explored. But that may be because I've got them out of order. Shit, who can keep the overwhelming deluge of overlapping, similarly-titled marvel lines straight? I can barely sort them out when I have the physical copies in front of me, much less trying to order them off the internet where half the time the entry information is incomplete or wrong. I'm pretty sure this isn't even the one I ...more
Sesana
Oct 22, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology, comics
A bit more disconnected than the previous volume, but still a good read. This one was more like a series of interconnected short stories built around the Fear Itself story. I like the Mephisto story (how often does he get to be the star instead of the antagonist) and the Volstagg story at the end was a good way to close out the Fear Itself storyline.
Rose
Feb 07, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
"Oh," I thought, when I was halfway through reading this one. "I'm sure enjoying this, but it's not, like, the most amazing thing I've ever read. I mean, it's not a Five-Stars Read like the last one was. How could it be? This is the epilogue of a tie-in book which had to dance around another writer's ideas. How much mileage could anybody, even Gillen, get out of that? And, I mean, it's okay. They can't all be five stars. It's still a good read. It's still fun. It'll be at least three stars, ...more
Sunil
Jun 10, 2013 Sunil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites, 2013
My God, this series is fucking fantastic. Gillen deftly weaves the resolution of Fear Itself into his story by showing what Kid Loki was doing behind-the-scenes the whole time. It's goddamn brilliant the way he turns a massive crossover event with lots of punching and kicking into a redemption arc for a trickster god. His lyrical, witty narration ensures the reader is always aware of any important events in other books, but it's far more than just exposition: it sets the tone for the whole sto ...more
Joy
Apr 26, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joy by: Mely
Shelves: fantasy, 21c, comics
Now that I've read this in the proper order (that is, after Journey Into Mystery: Fear Itself, and yes, that's a mouthful of a title), I rather love this--Loki is such an irresistible protagonist: a bit too smart for his own good, impish, sly, and occasionally even a little uncertain. An excellent read if you like stories about stories; accessible even to those without an encyclopedic knowledge of Marvel's various Asgard stories.
Shannon Appelcline
This volume starts off a little shaky with the .1 and Mephisto stories being the weakest in the lot. However, once we get back to Loki’s plot proper, things drop straight back into high gear. Even knowing the end of Fear Itself, I was excited to discover what *really* happened here. Changes in the status quo toward the end of the volume also suggest interesting plots going forward.
Nikki
Aug 27, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it
Young Loki remains fantastic, but I think this volume, more than the first did, would benefit from the reader knowing more about what's going on in Marvel verse. I don't know what all this stuff with Mephisto is about and I'm not interested. Just gimme kid Loki!
Rachel Teng
Mar 06, 2013 Rachel Teng rated it really liked it
It was a really good idea to wait for all the trades to come out before reading, because it's such a joy to read. Also uuugh kid!Loki noooo, I want to hug you.
Matt
Dec 02, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: thor
I love Loki's machinations throughout this. Such a fun story, and the way the character bounces off his supporting cast is awesome.
P. Kirby
The second installment in the teen-Loki-centric Journey into Mystery series.

When we last left Loki, he was preparing to confront The Serpent, or at least, help Thor (who was taking on said beastie/Odin sibling in what was fated to be a fight to the death). Loki had spent Volume One scurrying about the realms, making friends in all the wrong places, or at least, forging dangerous alliances with demons and former enemies. That he is able to get help at all is because The Serpent, Lord of Fear and
J'aime
Oct 21, 2012 J'aime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journey Into Mystery V1, was my first foray into “real” comics (and not novel adaptations). I loved it. So, I eagerly ordered Volumes 2-4, and also some Thor compilations. Though I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as V1, I was not disappointed by “Fear Itself Fallout”.

Volume 2 picks up right where V1 left off – Loki has all the tools he needs to help defeat the Serpent, and help Thor, before Odin scours the Earth to prevent the Serpent’s ascension. I was surprised to find that this volume follows t
Aaron
Mar 01, 2016 Aaron rated it really liked it
Very much continuing to love Gillen's Loki storyline. This volume slows the plot down a bit to focus on a few one-off stories surrounding the events in the previous volume (and the Fear Itself event at large), but still goes to show that if a writer fully understands his characters, even "filler" can be highly entertaining. And I think Gillen may understand the Asgardians better than just about any other writer I've seen approach them.

He's particularly coming into his own in regards to his writi
Jeanne
Mar 10, 2014 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books, fantasy
Journey into Mystery Fear Itself volume two picks up where volume left us hanging. Thor is still imprisoned by Odin, who is determined to defeat his enemy, The Serpent, by destroying new Asgard (aka Earth). But Loki has a plan, and it might just work, if it doesn't get him killed.

This is big bold storytelling with a sense of humor and hope that left me smiling with a tear in my eye. Packed with action, even more fascinating character development (not just for Loki) and great twists I never saw c
James
Apr 18, 2014 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Another really enjoyable volume exploring the exploits of teen Loki. Our title character schemes, schmoozes and even fights to make it possible for a tragic sacrifice to save the world. The way he makes his impact--magically editing a villian's myth to build in a moment of weakness--is enjoyable and suits the character well.

This trade works around the plotting of the larger "Fear Itself" crossover, but it does so successfully, in a way that requires no knowledge of the larger event. We also get
Silas
Feb 26, 2016 Silas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun. We follow the adventures of young Loki after he went to great lengths to end the threat of the Serpent in the Fear Itself event, and we see him struggling with the consequences of what he has done. Despite that, this book is highly amusing, mostly from the dry humor and the inclusion of a murderous, talking puppy. The first half of the book primarily deals with Loki setting up a new status quo for himself under the rule of the triumvirate All-Mother, and finding a ...more
Jenna
Aug 19, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it
Nice to see Loki's plans in progress without having to worry about him trying to destroy Midgard in the process, although I have to admit I was cheering for him in the Avengers. I especially enjoyed the bit where he sought enlightenment (view spoiler).

I still am not a fan of drawing styles changing every issue, but I suppose I should
Jess
Sep 02, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, 2013, marvel, comics
The continued adventure of Kid Loki's attempt to save Asgard and Earth against the Serpent, God of Fear. This compilation was more disjointed because of the perspective of other characters being thrown in randomly like Mephisto and Volstagg, but that did not make me like it any less once I got used to the different, less continuous tale. I couldn't hate the Volstagg issue anyway. It was hilarious. The climax of the story seemed too quick after all the build-up, though. That was the only thing ...more
Tiamatty
Aug 26, 2014 Tiamatty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This continues to previous volume, as we see how his plans in the previous volume fall into place. A one-shot issue with Mephisto is a wonderful detour. And an issue focusing on Volstagg is at once one of the funniest and most heart-breaking comics out there. This volume is very much dependent on reading the previous one, but it's a great continuation of what began there. And it also has some excellent art.
Sonic
May 24, 2013 Sonic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
Should have been called "Journey Into Boredom: Bleh Itself Fallout"

Heh heh, I made that up myself.

In truth I really really wanted to like this.
I read the first chapter of this and I thought "this is actually pretty good..." ~ the art was by P. Ferry, ...
then I noticed that one was written by Rob Rodi,
and once Gillen took over again I was like "ugghhhh! this sucks."

It is just overly wordy and underly interesting, ...

i.e. Boring.

Josef Suatengco
Oct 09, 2013 Josef Suatengco rated it it was amazing
Part 2 of Gillen's Journey Into Mystery/Fear Itself run. Basically everything that was good from part 1 are also here.

The Good: Kid Loki and the supporting cast is still written very well.

The Bad: The art for the volume was handled by different artist. Not really a major gripe but I did wanted the art style to be by the same artist thought the run. While not horrible, the art by Whilce Portacio was a bit inconsistent. There are even some pages where Leah looks like a neanderthal.
Suge
Dec 19, 2012 Suge rated it it was amazing
I love the adventure in this graphic novel. I love to see how all the planning of JOM v.1 paid off and the repercussions it had on the Asgardians. Can't wait to continue the Journey with v.3. Very good writing and I loved the art work in this one. Not to mention Loki's nature and attitude are pretty funny at times.
Matthew
Jan 18, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok
The Volkstaag chapter is hysterical and if I were just rating that, I would give it 4 stars. But the rest of it is really a denouement of leftover stuff from the Fear Itself event. Probably worth picking up if you read the other titles, but I wouldn't bother if you haven't. Would have rated it a 3 overall but the art is very inconsistent.
***Dave Hill
Nov 11, 2012 ***Dave Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collects JIM 626.1 and 627-631, including Li'l Loki learning how much he is disliked and distrusted, a marvelous Mephisto tale, the spectacular "Volstagg Tells a Story" issue, and lots of other goodness. Gillen's JiM is one of the best Thor(-related) runs in the history of Marvel comics -- clever and humorous and tragic and chock-full of both action and characterization.
Davy
Jan 07, 2013 Davy rated it really liked it
After 2 background stories (one about the lack of Loki's popularity in Asgard and one about Mephisto), Loki (being the devious child) and his "team" of undead's and sorcerers (see Journey Into Mystery Fear Itself) attack the Serpent's home base: Dark Asgard. So Loki again plays a vital role in the battles of Asgard...
Julie
Pasqual Ferry made half a dozen really painfully obvious mistakes in this one (example: Sif in one scene is leaning on a normal height windowsil, in the next scene she is sitting on it and it is now one foot from the ground), thankfully it was just the one issue and didn't ruin my enjoyment of this volume.
Pturingan
Apr 22, 2014 Pturingan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy, superhero
Who would have thought that Young Loki would make a great protagonist in a comics series? And yet they've pulled it off here! It feels like a fantasy epic except that it's set in the Marvel Universe. Well done!
Dorkthropology
Jul 17, 2014 Dorkthropology rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Accidentally read this first. It made very little sense since I had no background for Fear Itself. But the Volstagg chapter was charming. Worth a re-read once I get the first one.
Tim Rohr
Apr 08, 2015 Tim Rohr rated it really liked it
I think it was a very solid companion book for Fear Itself. If you only read one tie-in, read this one.
Hillary
Jan 11, 2013 Hillary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-review-yet
Underwehlming. Loki's deviousness isn't highlighted enough and it doesn't make him seem clever. It only makes him look like the boy that will do things (take chances) that others won't.
Mary-Jane
Jan 31, 2016 Mary-Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The plot is really kind of confusing... I get the gist what's going on, but it doesn't flow very well. At least in my opinion.
  • The Mighty Thor/Journey into Mystery: Everything Burns
  • Avengers: The Children's Crusade
  • Fear Itself: Avengers Academy
  • Ultimate Comics Thor
  • Siege
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.
More about Kieron Gillen...

Fear Itself (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Fear Itself