Dignifying Dementia: A Caregiver's Struggle

Dignifying Dementia: A Caregiver's Struggle

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Diagnosed with dementia in 1997, my husband, Jim, lived at home during his illness and died there in January 2006. I wish this story were fiction, but it is not. Dignifying Dementia is both a love story and an attempt to reach out to others who are living through or who will live through a similar tragedy.
Published September 1st 2011 by Oak Tree Press (Ireland)

To ask other readers questions about Dignifying Dementia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dignifying Dementia

Kathleen Wheeler
While on vacation, I had the chance to read Dignifying Dementia: A Caregiver’s Struggle by Elizabeth Tierney. First and foremost, this nonfiction book is a guide for caregivers offering all the nitty, gritty details of how difficult it is to personally care for a loved one at home through all the demanding stages of dementia from beginning to end. It is more than that, however, because it is also a beautiful love story.

Anyone seriously considering taking on the full-time responsibility of caring...more
Rae Eastman
This gal is a survivor!
The book makes you laugh and cry - the author has written of her experience with such honesty and humor.

Mostly it is candid and revealing: a reposrt of happenings we can't know about until we're in the same boat - which so many of us may be.

Many of the comments on the book's blog suggest that it should be required reading for medical and caregiving practitioners.
Ellen
Having lived through my grandmother's struggle to care for my grandfather while he had Alzheimer's, I know full well how this book illuminates what is a terrible journey. I'd recommend it to anyone who has a relative suffering with any sort of dementia.
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Aimee Marroni
Aimee Marroni marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Ceri (welshy)
Ceri (welshy) marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Minouska Murray
Minouska Murray is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2013
CNA Angel
CNA Angel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Nancy Barnette
Nancy Barnette marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2012
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2012