Start by marking “Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)” as Want to Read:
Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)

Riot Act (Charlie Fox #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  37 reviews
'I am a violent man, Miss Fox,' Garton-Jones said, without bravado or inflection. 'I can and will do whatever is necessary to control this estate. Remember that.'

A self-defence expert with a motorbike and an attitude, Charlie Fox doesn't need to go looking for trouble. It generally finds her. House-sitting for a friend seems like an easy favour at first but the house in
Kindle Edition
Published September 3rd 2011 by Murderati Ink (first published August 29th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Riot Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riot Act

Pam (E.P. Scott)
Second in the series, Riot Act take Charlie Fox to a friends house to babysit the dog and look after things while she is away on holiday. As much as Charlie doesn't want to get involved with the turmoil that seems to surround this small English district, it seems to stalk her and pounce when she least expect it. Thus, she finds herself, once again solving a mystery, dodging bullets, knives and swinging fists and running from a past that haunts her.

A very enjoyable story with the perfect amount o
Seeley James
Every book I read has a great endorsement by someone or other. Zoë Sharp’s first book, Killer Instinct, had a rousing Foreword by Lee Child. That caught my eye. Mr. Child reported that someone said, I love your books but Zoe Sharp is better. Interesting admission from one of my favorite authors. I’ve been rolling that one around in my head ever since. Is she really better than Lee Child?

Before I read her first book, when anyone asked, Who is your favorite author, I never hesitated. Lee Child. If
D
Just incredible! One of the best new series I've started in a while. The best since I found the Jack Reacher series.

For her first book, the one prior to this, I'd complained of too little insight into Charlie's feelings.....too much focus on "what" and not enough on "why".

That changed in this book. It was the perfect balance between action and the protagonist's subjective experience. Also, there were satisfying partial resolutions to some unbearable problems brought out, but unresolved, in the
Harry
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any indicat ...more
Ed
#2 in the Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series. This time out, Charlie has given up self defense lessons while recuperating from injuries sustained in the initial entry Killer Instinct (2001). However, while housesitting for a friend she finds herself in a deteriorating neighborhood populated by Asians (Pakistanis) and a like neighborhood populated by native Brits. Interesting entry and I'm looking forward to future entries to determine the overriding story arc.

Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series - A self-
Linda
I'm well and truly hooked on this series.

In this story, Charlie gets embroiled in local violent events while housesitting for a friend, also meeting up again with someone significant from her past. While she once again proves to be a magnet for trouble, we learn more about her past and her relationships with her parents and others. She's a tough yet vulnerable protagonist, one who's easy to like and root for.

A few things bugged me but didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the story. (vie
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw
"I am a violent man, Miss Fox," Garton-Jones said, without bravado or inflection. "I can and will do whatever is necessary to control this estate. Remember that."

When I read that blurb on the back of Riot Act, I knew I was in for another fantastic and thrilling ride with Charlie, in this, the second of Zoe Sharp's Charlie Fox thrillers.

I was not disappointed. Riot Act is every bit as good as the first in the series... and then some.

Beautifully paced, with engaging characters, action and suspens
Dolly
Riot Act takes places within months of the first novel, Killer Instinct. This series, starring Charlie Fox by Zoe Sharp, is a good mystery series. The writing and editing are excellent. I very glad to have stumbled upon this series.

What I liked: A connection with the heroine. She's kick-ass but not perfect. More along just being human with everyone's problems. While ruthless, she has a code to only go as far as she needs too. Ms Sharp also provides more info about Charlie's past, which so frust
Best Crime Books
Okay, so in July 2012 I gave in to the nagging feeling that I was missing out. Every time I looked on Facebook I kept seeing people take about Zoe Sharp and the character Charlie Fox. Not one to miss out I immediately read the first book in the series and LOVED it. I have finally got around to book 2 and finished it in less time than the first.

Charlie Fox is ex-special forces, however that may sound like a ‘bog standard’ character template for a female lead, but she is far from standard. Charlie
K, Nz
I love this book. From memory, it was the first one in the Charlie Fox series I came across, and I also remember being really disappointed that 'Killer Instinct' was out of print then. I wanted to know more about the characters, because they were people I could care about and relate to. Sean and Charlie's relationship was something I was curious about as well, and their challenges and misunderstandings have kept me wanting to find out more (and very impatient to read the next book in the series) ...more
Heather
Charlie is house sitting for her friend, Pauline, and taking care of her dog, Friday. When crime rates escalate, Charlie finds herself thrust into the fray. In the process, she reveals more of her back story. When Madeleine and Sean rescue her, the past and present flood together with ever-increasing speed. I love the character development and the idea that we do have responsibility for ourselves and to others.
LJ
RIOT ACT (Amateur Sleuth-London-Cont) – VG
Sharp, Zoe – 2nd in series
Piatkus, 2002-Hardcover
Charlie Fox is an self-defense expert and ex-Special Forces. She is house- and dog-sitting--a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Frank—for her friend but things turn ugly when teenage gangs start terrorizing the neighborhood. The neighbors hire a private security firm, but a young Asian boy is murdered. When someone from Charlie's past appears, life becomes even more complicated.
*** Charlie is someone you'd much ra
Joan
I read the first book in this series because it had an endorsement from Lee Child, who is one of my favorite authors. Hoping that I had found a new author to read, I immediately downloaded the entire series of four books. I enjoyed the first one although it did not live up to the recommendation in my opinion, but Charlie Fox was not as appealing or as interesting in this second of the series. The story was very slow to come together and capture my interest. I will say, however, that this author ...more
Katie
This one was all sorts of twisty.

I like that Charlie and Sean's issues were not solved during the course of one book after meeting again under such inauspicious circumstances. I think that shows a lot of restraint on the part of the author, considering Charlie's traumatic background.
Kmmoy
I was a bit disappointed in this book. I started the Charlie Fox series with the 9th book in the series (Fifth Victim), then read the 10th (Die Easy). I went back and read the first (Killer Instinct) and enjoyed it. This book did shed a bit more light on her relationship with Sean, but I was hoping for even more. I guess I will have to continue the series to learn more!
Sheri Hart
Just finished this book and have already downloaded book three in the series. Best thriller/ crime series I've read in eons. Charlie Fox is like Eve Dallas on steroids.

The action scenes are just as well done and heart-pounding as in Killer Instinct, book one, but we have the complicating factor of the reappearance of Charlie's ex lover and former special ops training officer Sean Meyer. The scene where they first come together again is stellar. No, that's not a euphemism- unfortunately we don't
Gary Van Cott
3.5 stars. Not bad, a bit better than the first one and a change from the police procedurals I usually read. Quite a bit of the early book was spent on superficial coverage of the back story so it took a while to get going. The villain was still a bit obvious.
Jane
In Charlie's second outing she's thrown into the midst of the action by her temporary neighbours in the first chapter and the action doesn't stop the whole way through. With twists and turns aplenty,making even the couch potato's heart race with the adrenaline fuelled proceedings. I don't like to write about the story as I find too many reviews give away way too much for my liking. The depth of the characters stands for themselves without any help from me. Real life characters from rare but real ...more
Helen-Louise
Set in England, which surprised me. Good plot, a few inconsistencies but not enough to really damage the story. I plan o try to locate the first in the series
This is the second book in the Charlie Fox series and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even more than the first book. I like that the character is developing and that there are other recurring characters that are part of her life. I hope to see them in further books as well. The description of neighbourhoods and buildings was great and I could really picture the story unfolding in my mind. I also love the pace of the Charlie Fox books so far. There's always enough action nicely distributed throughout to ...more
Catsalive
Excellent follow up to the first Charlie Fox mystery. I'm enjoying this series.
Skip
An early Charlie Fox thriller. Virtually impossible to find in the U.S. While housesitting in a marginal neighborhood, Charlie becomes embroiled in a series of escalating violence with racial overtones designed to catalyze urban renewal. Charlie rescues a young thug from a beating at the hands of hired peacekeepers, only to discover he is the young brother of her ex-lover, Sean Meyer, who quit Special Forces. Charlie has to face him and her past in order to deal with the present. A lot of solid ...more
Linda
Really like this series. It's funny, there's romance -- and action. I'm on the fourth book, they're great beach reads.
Todd
Another good book in the series.
The Cats Mother
Really like this series, only discovered it recently; great heroine, lots of action, quite dark and gritty but some sly humor too.
This one has Charlie getting involved in the problems of a council estate while house-sitting for a friend. Friday the dog is the best character, but we also get to meet the infamous Sean.
Sheryl
It took me a little bit longer to get into this book than the previous one but when I finally did it was very exciting. Charlie Fox is a great character! I very much look forward to reading more books in this series and hopefully seeing if her relationship with Sean morphs into something more.
Rebecca
I'm just getting into this series - I read number 8 or something first, then went back to read #1 and this one was #2. Charlie Fox is an entirely likeable character, and the plots are decent.
P.D. Martin
Another great read in the Charlie Fox series. I think I enjoyed the higher stakes in book 1, but I'm liking where the character and series is going and I'm looking forward to book 3!
Paullei Mumme
Another great Charlie Fox adventure by the talented Zoe Sharp with the introduction of her former Special Forces trainer, Sean Meyer. Holy smokes this book rocked!
Karen
8/10. Seemed to start off slowly, but I'm not sure if that was the book or me! Once I got into it, it was a great read, and I couldn't wait to see what happened!
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20)
  • Dull Knife (Joe Pickett, #4.5)
  • The Depths
  • A Calm Before Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Outlaw (Robin Monarch, #2)
  • The Clock Of Life
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)
  • I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy, #2)
  • The Taking of Libbie, SD (Mac McKenzie, #7)
  • Way Down on the High Lonely (Neal Carey, #3)
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Blood Lines
  • Mulch
  • Framing Innocence: A Mother's Photographs, a Prosecutor's Zeal, and a Small Town's Response
  • Baja Florida
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.
More about Zoë Sharp...

Charlie Fox (10 books)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox Thriller #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox Thriller #5)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox Thriller #7)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1) First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4) Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6) Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8) Third Strike (Charlie Fox Thriller #7)