Start by marking “Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)” as Want to Read:
Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)

Riot Act (Charlie Fox #2)

'I am a violent man, Miss Fox,' Garton-Jones said, without bravado or inflection. 'I can − and will − do whatever is necessary to control this estate. Remember that.'

A self-defence expert with a motorbike and an attitude, Charlie Fox doesn't need to go looking for trouble. It generally finds her. House-sitting for a friend seems like an easy favour at first but the house i
Kindle Edition
Published September 3rd 2011 by Murderati Ink (first published August 29th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Riot Act, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riot Act

Pam (E.P. Scott)
Second in the series, Riot Act take Charlie Fox to a friends house to babysit the dog and look after things while she is away on holiday. As much as Charlie doesn't want to get involved with the turmoil that seems to surround this small English district, it seems to stalk her and pounce when she least expect it. Thus, she finds herself, once again solving a mystery, dodging bullets, knives and swinging fists and running from a past that haunts her.

A very enjoyable story with the perfect amount o
Seeley James
Sep 05, 2012 Seeley James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book I read has a great endorsement by someone or other. Zoë Sharp’s first book, Killer Instinct, had a rousing Foreword by Lee Child. That caught my eye. Mr. Child reported that someone said, I love your books but Zoe Sharp is better. Interesting admission from one of my favorite authors. I’ve been rolling that one around in my head ever since. Is she really better than Lee Child?

Before I read her first book, when anyone asked, Who is your favorite author, I never hesitated. Lee Child. If
D
Sep 15, 2012 D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Just incredible! One of the best new series I've started in a while. The best since I found the Jack Reacher series.

For her first book, the one prior to this, I'd complained of too little insight into Charlie's feelings.....too much focus on "what" and not enough on "why".

That changed in this book. It was the perfect balance between action and the protagonist's subjective experience. Also, there were satisfying partial resolutions to some unbearable problems brought out, but unresolved, in the
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 Harry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any indicat ...more
Best Crime Books & More
Okay, so in July 2012 I gave in to the nagging feeling that I was missing out. Every time I looked on Facebook I kept seeing people take about Zoe Sharp and the character Charlie Fox. Not one to miss out I immediately read the first book in the series and LOVED it. I have finally got around to book 2 and finished it in less time than the first.

Charlie Fox is ex-special forces, however that may sound like a ‘bog standard’ character template for a female lead, but she is far from standard. Charlie
Linda
Jan 01, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm well and truly hooked on this series.

In this story, Charlie gets embroiled in local violent events while housesitting for a friend, also meeting up again with someone significant from her past. While she once again proves to be a magnet for trouble, we learn more about her past and her relationships with her parents and others. She's a tough yet vulnerable protagonist, one who's easy to like and root for.

A few things bugged me but didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the story. (vie
Ed
Apr 25, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series. This time out, Charlie has given up self defense lessons while recuperating from injuries sustained in the initial entry Killer Instinct (2001). However, while housesitting for a friend she finds herself in a deteriorating neighborhood populated by Asians (Pakistanis) and a like neighborhood populated by native Brits. Interesting entry and I'm looking forward to future entries to determine the overriding story arc.

Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series - A self-
Tony Hisgett
After the ending to the first book I hoped that Charlie would be more sure of herself and less indecisive, however she is even more riddled with guilt and unable to think clearly.

I’m obviously out of step with lots of this book’s reviewers, but what annoys me is that I think that Charlie is a great heroine but is held back by the author. The first half of the book is full of incidents when she fails to make correct decisions and ends up hurt and lost. In some ways I didn’t mind the guilt and th
Dolly
Jul 14, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riot Act takes places within months of the first novel, Killer Instinct. This series, starring Charlie Fox by Zoe Sharp, is a good mystery series. The writing and editing are excellent. I very glad to have stumbled upon this series.

What I liked: A connection with the heroine. She's kick-ass but not perfect. More along just being human with everyone's problems. While ruthless, she has a code to only go as far as she needs too. Ms Sharp also provides more info about Charlie's past, which so frust
Sid Nuncius
Apr 01, 2016 Sid Nuncius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. It is the first Zoë Sharp I've read and it certainly won't be the last. It's the second in her Charlie Fox series, but you don't need to have read Killer Instinct first to enjoy this: we are given all the necessary background in a very skilful way which never feels like clumsy exposition.

The book is well-written and very well paced. Charlie Fox, having been thrown out of the Army Special Forces, becomes involved in dealing with gang crime and vigilantes on an estat
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw
"I am a violent man, Miss Fox," Garton-Jones said, without bravado or inflection. "I can and will do whatever is necessary to control this estate. Remember that."

When I read that blurb on the back of Riot Act, I knew I was in for another fantastic and thrilling ride with Charlie, in this, the second of Zoe Sharp's Charlie Fox thrillers.

I was not disappointed. Riot Act is every bit as good as the first in the series... and then some.

Beautifully paced, with engaging characters, action and suspens
K, Nz
I love this book. From memory, it was the first one in the Charlie Fox series I came across, and I also remember being really disappointed that 'Killer Instinct' was out of print then. I wanted to know more about the characters, because they were people I could care about and relate to. Sean and Charlie's relationship was something I was curious about as well, and their challenges and misunderstandings have kept me wanting to find out more (and very impatient to read the next book in the series) ...more
LJ
RIOT ACT (Amateur Sleuth-London-Cont) – VG
Sharp, Zoe – 2nd in series
Piatkus, 2002-Hardcover
Charlie Fox is an self-defense expert and ex-Special Forces. She is house- and dog-sitting--a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Frank—for her friend but things turn ugly when teenage gangs start terrorizing the neighborhood. The neighbors hire a private security firm, but a young Asian boy is murdered. When someone from Charlie's past appears, life becomes even more complicated.
*** Charlie is someone you'd much ra
Jane
Oct 18, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Charlie's second outing she's thrown into the midst of the action by her temporary neighbours in the first chapter and the action doesn't stop the whole way through. With twists and turns aplenty,making even the couch potato's heart race with the adrenaline fuelled proceedings. I don't like to write about the story as I find too many reviews give away way too much for my liking. The depth of the characters stands for themselves without any help from me. Real life characters from rare but real ...more
Joan
Jul 05, 2013 Joan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book in this series because it had an endorsement from Lee Child, who is one of my favorite authors. Hoping that I had found a new author to read, I immediately downloaded the entire series of four books. I enjoyed the first one although it did not live up to the recommendation in my opinion, but Charlie Fox was not as appealing or as interesting in this second of the series. The story was very slow to come together and capture my interest. I will say, however, that this author ...more
Sheri Hart
Mar 12, 2012 Sheri Hart rated it really liked it
Just finished this book and have already downloaded book three in the series. Best thriller/ crime series I've read in eons. Charlie Fox is like Eve Dallas on steroids.

The action scenes are just as well done and heart-pounding as in Killer Instinct, book one, but we have the complicating factor of the reappearance of Charlie's ex lover and former special ops training officer Sean Meyer. The scene where they first come together again is stellar. No, that's not a euphemism- unfortunately we don't
Jul 28, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Charlie Fox series and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even more than the first book. I like that the character is developing and that there are other recurring characters that are part of her life. I hope to see them in further books as well. The description of neighbourhoods and buildings was great and I could really picture the story unfolding in my mind. I also love the pace of the Charlie Fox books so far. There's always enough action nicely distributed throughout to ...more
Skip
Jul 16, 2012 Skip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
An early Charlie Fox thriller. Virtually impossible to find in the U.S. While housesitting in a marginal neighborhood, Charlie becomes embroiled in a series of escalating violence with racial overtones designed to catalyze urban renewal. Charlie rescues a young thug from a beating at the hands of hired peacekeepers, only to discover he is the young brother of her ex-lover, Sean Meyer, who quit Special Forces. Charlie has to face him and her past in order to deal with the present. A lot of solid ...more
comfort
Charlie Fox finds her self in the wrong-end of town house-sitting for a friend.
The trouble around this estate is escalating with the locals calling in "muscle-for-hire"

Though she doesn't mean to, Charlie becomes embroiled in the "fight" during which she meets up with her old boyfriend (the same boyfriend who dumped her whilst she was going through a trial when she was in the army).

They team up as a force to fight against the big-business of protection and property fraud.
Alex
Mar 22, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I agree with other reviewers that series is more enjoyable if you read it in order. Because the author is so favorably compared to Lee Child I may have to go back and try his books again which I have to admit I didn't like that much. After finishing this book I went and picked up some of the short stories so I definitely give a star for making me want to continue the series and read on.
Heather
Feb 20, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie is house sitting for her friend, Pauline, and taking care of her dog, Friday. When crime rates escalate, Charlie finds herself thrust into the fray. In the process, she reveals more of her back story. When Madeleine and Sean rescue her, the past and present flood together with ever-increasing speed. I love the character development and the idea that we do have responsibility for ourselves and to others.
Keri
Sep 13, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

4 STARS - I RELLY LIKED IT
AUDIOBOOK

How is it that more people don't know about this author? She writes really good crime thrillers. Charlie, as the main character, is really great. She's smart and talented and strong, but she isn't perfect. She gets hurt, she makes mistakes, but she cares about people and tries to help when she can.

I really like this series and will continue reading books my Ms. Sharp.
Kmmoy
Oct 08, 2014 Kmmoy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
I was a bit disappointed in this book. I started the Charlie Fox series with the 9th book in the series (Fifth Victim), then read the 10th (Die Easy). I went back and read the first (Killer Instinct) and enjoyed it. This book did shed a bit more light on her relationship with Sean, but I was hoping for even more. I guess I will have to continue the series to learn more!
The Cats Mother
Really like this series, only discovered it recently; great heroine, lots of action, quite dark and gritty but some sly humor too.
This one has Charlie getting involved in the problems of a council estate while house-sitting for a friend. Friday the dog is the best character, but we also get to meet the infamous Sean.
Sheryl
Jan 07, 2013 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
It took me a little bit longer to get into this book than the previous one but when I finally did it was very exciting. Charlie Fox is a great character! I very much look forward to reading more books in this series and hopefully seeing if her relationship with Sean morphs into something more.
Lema
Mar 08, 2016 Lema rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Was going to DNF this but completed it for the sake of Superintendent MacMillan and Charlie's dad. I was really excited for this after reading Killer Instinct, and especially to read more about Sean Meyer, until the highly intriguing backstory turned out to be a soap opera cliché.
Gary Van Cott
3.5 stars. Not bad, a bit better than the first one and a change from the police procedurals I usually read. Quite a bit of the early book was spent on superficial coverage of the back story so it took a while to get going. The villain was still a bit obvious.
Bernadette Williamson
May 19, 2015 Bernadette Williamson rated it it was amazing
Thriller

This really keeps you on the edge of your seat. Thriller is used to describe many stories, but the description is apt here. If you enjoy edgy books, you will definitely want to give this one a try.
Elanor
Aug 28, 2016 Elanor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To much violence, grimness, despair... Also I always know who the bad guy is within 10 seconds of his 1st appearance.
To many assumptions almost get her killed over and over.
Thanks Charlie, it's been fun and I'd like to know what happens to you, but I think I'm done...
K.
This one was all sorts of twisty.

I like that Charlie and Sean's issues were not solved during the course of one book after meeting again under such inauspicious circumstances. I think that shows a lot of restraint on the part of the author, considering Charlie's traumatic background.
  • Element 42 (Sabel Security Thriller #3)
  • The Clock Of Life
  • Outlaw (Robin Monarch, #2)
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
  • I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy #2)
  • The Good Son (J. McNee, #1)
  • Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn
  • A Calm Before Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Did Not Finish (Aidy Westlake, #1)
  • The Depths
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
  • Lesbian Sex 101: 101 Lesbian Lovemaking Positions
  • Cuban Sun (Sofia Koury, #1)
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Dull Knife (Joe Pickett, #4.5)
  • Blood Lines (Sarah Armstrong, #2)
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.
More about Zoë Sharp...

Charlie Fox (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox Thriller #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox Thriller #5)
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox Thriller #7)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
  • Fox Hunter (Charlie Fox Thriller, #11)