The Dreamstone (Arafel, #1)

The Dreamstone (Arafel #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It was that transitional time of the world, when man first brought the clang of iron and the reek of smoke to the lands which before had echoed only with fairy voices. In that dawn of man and death of magic there yet remained one last untouched place—the small forest of Ealdwood—which kept the magic intact, and protected the old ways. And there was one who dwelt there, Ara...more
Published August 1st 1987 by DAW (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreamstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreamstone

Beyond the World of Man by Sheryl SealAmong the Shrouded by Amalie JahnBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealThe Witches of Snyder Farms by Lenora HensonThe Wicked Garden by Lenora Henson
Books With Supernatural Females
77th out of 356 books — 183 voters
Big Guns Out of Uniform by Sherrilyn KenyonVanishing Point by Michaela RoessnerThe Hunted by L.A. BanksThe Awakening by L.A. BanksBlood Trinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Purchased May 2012
37th out of 47 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
I hate it when this happens. I picked this up to read...and found I'd already read it! It's a fair book and a "sometimes" interesting read, but apparently not that memorable (LOL). I didn't recall it till I started it, still, it wouldn't be fair to penalize the book (solely) because I'm getting older. :)

The book opens in a sort of misty semi-mystical prose telling of the old forest and the "old ones" (referencing the Sidhe here). The conflict is basically built around the Great Forest (a mythica...more
Thea Harrison
This is the first of a duology, the second book entitled: The Tree of Swords and Jewels. These were among my favorite reads.
Eddie Davis
A very good book, the writing style slows you down some, but is fascinating. The main character is Arafel, an Elven lady that is the last of her people. The book is her dealings with humans and how her aid changes the lives of several humans. The book has a good feel for Celtic legends of the Daoine Sidhe and you feel the loneliness Arafel feels in her immortal watch of the communities around her. It is a good read for anyone interested in Celtic tales about the Elves.
Noria
It was a harder read since the writing style is quite different to those I've read in the last few months. Nonetheless it was very captivating and the more I got into it, the more fascinated I was. It is about the conflict between Elves and men and how to live when everything changes and dies in battle. Sometimes it is quite philosophical and you need to lay the book down and think about it. Now I'm more curious of reading more by C. J. Cherryh.
Autumn
I read this when I want to sink into another reality for a little bit. It's complex enough that I don't get bored with it. I like the way the author uses the English language. She's a very competant writer, but I haven't found that her other books have had the poetry that this one does.

I just upped my stars to four, because when I think about it, this is one of those books I move from house to house and re-read regularly.
Raj
Feb 22, 2010 Raj rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Arafel is the last queen of the Elves, remaining on the earth when her kin have died. This is the story of her last battle. This book did very little for me, I'm afraid. I'm not a big fantasy fan and there wasn't enough story or characterisation to keep my interest. Interesting climax, but I'm not sure it was worth it.
Elaine
reread. "Some things there are in the world that have never loved Men..." You know right away what type of world you're entering, and it can break your heart.
stormhawk
Not bad, but also not spectacular fantasy tale. Can't say what I would have preferred in the book ... perhaps some more understanding of Arafel's attraction to humans?
Jared
Celtic fantasy about the last bastion of the Sidhe. Uneven pacing, but lush atmosphere.
Mark Lacy
Not as good as the Morgaine trilogy by Cherryh, but interesting, with good imagery.
Morena
Morena marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Elizabeth Richmond
Elizabeth Richmond marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Pyrh
Pyrh marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kip Corriveau
Kip Corriveau marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Nadine Stoelman
Nadine Stoelman marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Frieda Jacobson
Frieda Jacobson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • The Storm Lord (Novels of Vis, #1)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Moonwise
  • Marauders of Gor (Gor, #9)
  • Madouc (Lyonesse, #3)
  • The Starry Rift
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • Dinosaur Tales
  • The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor, #2)
  • Six of Swords
  • Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1)
  • Courts of the Fey
  • Fury
  • The Hollowing (Mythago Wood, #4)
  • Something Rich and Strange
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...
Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3) The Pride of Chanur (Compact Space, #1) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)