Start by marking “Teaching for Critical Thinking: Tools and Techniques to Help Students Question Their Assumptions” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
According to AAC&U's 2013 employer survey, 93% of employers agree that a candidate's "demonstrated capacity to think critically, communicate clearly, and solve complex problems" is more important than their undergraduate major. Likewise, more than three in four employers say they want colleges to place more emphasis on helping students develop critical thinking skills. ...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published October 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching for Critical Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching for Critical Thinking

Heather
Apr 12, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book is really, REALLY worthwhile, and not just for teachers, but for others who need to use critical thinking in their work and lives. Stephen D. Brookfield has a remarkably helpful definition of that much-defined and multi-meaning term "critical thinking," which is "clarifying and checking assumptions by viewing material from different viewpoints (p. 79)." He offers a simple and useful categorical scheme for orienting students (or his readers) to the various kinds of assumptions they will ...more
sanaz
Sep 18, 2014 sanaz rated it liked it
I liked the book's approach to the traditions of critical thinking and how he use them to put everything in perspective and avoids succumbing to the dominant discourses of viewing critical thinking just as an extension of logical thinking.
Ingeborg
Jul 26, 2013 Ingeborg rated it liked it
Shelves: education
A good and useful book for teachers, but the author keeps repeating his opinions and theses, he repeats and repeats, and keeps repeating some more....
Rachel
Apr 01, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching
An interesting look a critical thinking in the classroom, but nothing particularly new here. Some good ideas for classroom activities.
Shan Vrolijk
Mar 15, 2014 Shan Vrolijk rated it it was amazing
Ditulis dengan gaya matang untuk semua kalangan,
dipikirkan dengan sangat baik dari berbagai sudut pandang.
Membuat kita bisa cepat mengaplikasikan cara berfikir kritis.

Indahnya belajar seumur hidup ya :D
Synthia Green
Apr 09, 2014 Synthia Green rated it it was amazing
I appreciate Brookfield's style of writing in this text. I'm definitely interested in reading more about his description of critical thinking assumptions as paradigmatic, prescriptive & casual.
DeLys
Mar 15, 2013 DeLys added it
I read this book for a faculty book club at the university where I teach. It was timely, as I have just returned to teaching after several years as an administrator. Brookfield gives concrete examples of and suggestions for teaching critical thinking, and I did things differently in my classes this term than I would have if I hadn't read this. But his writing style is too self referential and repetitive for my taste, at least in this book.
William Hitt
William Hitt marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Pat Gibson
Pat Gibson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Devin
Devin is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Debbie
Debbie added it
Jan 30, 2016
Lusi Wong Library
Lusi Wong Library marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Roukiah
Roukiah marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Evgenii
Evgenii marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Chris Crane
Chris Crane marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Charles D.
Charles D. rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Freida Maverick
Freida Maverick marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Tori Svoboda
Tori Svoboda rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Duanjun
Duanjun marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Jackie Intres
Jackie Intres rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015