Start by marking “The Boxcar Children: Tree House Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Boxcar Children: Tree House Mystery

The Boxcar Children: Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children #14)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,369 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
One warm night four children stood in front of a bakery. No one knew them. No one knew where they had come from.

Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny used to live alone in a boxcar. Now they have a home with their grandfather and are helping their neighbors build a tree house.

From the new tree house, the Aldens can keep an eye on the house next door. That house has a very old a
Published (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Boxcar Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boxcar Children

Josh
Dec 20, 2016 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this was a buddy read with my 7-year-old daughter. She is devouring books these days! She really liked this one and it was fun to discuss with her afterwards. Not much peril here to freak her out, but enough mystery/adventure to keep her attention.
Irene
May 19, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Jun 27, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boxcar-children
Those lucky Alden kids! As if being a mystery-solving orphan weren't enough now they have a tree house to boot!
MnMs
Jun 08, 2015 MnMs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the Boxcar Children
stories I have read, this
one is only second to
the first in the series.
This particular story really
seemed ever so warm and
happy.
Lauren
Feb 05, 2017 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit confused by this book. Not the story, but the dynamics-I feel like there was a message, but it was so inconsistent that I couldn't decipher what Warner was trying to share. The parents of the new friends in this book are distant...kind-of...sometimes. I couldn't understand if this was supposed to be a negative or just an illustration of another type of family. In any event, it was off-putting and strange. I wasn't much of a fan of this book, though the mystery was mildly entertaining ...more
Ashle Oaks
Dec 11, 2013 Ashle Oaks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story. They meet some people who, to everyone's surprise, don't want to be friends. Benny, unsurprisingly, is going to try to make friends with them anyway. The Alden children aren't perfect anymore. Benny was rude (he called the neighbor children dumb), but he did admit he was wrong about them. This story focused mostly on Benny and a little on Violet. Henry and Jessie were away doing stuff for about half the book. The Beaches learn the importance of family and spending time ...more
Kaetlyn
Aug 17, 2015 Kaetlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I like how there is a new family that moved in next door. The Alden's now have some new friends that have moved in next to them in a very old house called the beach house. I like how the Alden's and their new friends find a glass window at the top of the house, but can't find the room to it. The Alden's and their new friends are building a tree house together. I don't like that two brothers are mad at each other because they couldn't find a telescope they had as kids. I like that the two boys ca ...more
Luke Ewell
Feb 02, 2015 Luke Ewell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3rd-grade
The Allen's have new neighbors. They decide to build a tree house with their new neighbors. They find a telescope hidden in a knot in the tree. It once belonged to the dad of the kids next door, who lost it. From their tree house they see a window that they had never seen. The kids explore it and found a kid named Willie Carver lived their and his grandma sealed up the room to make sure no one else could come in.
Corky
Dec 20, 2008 Corky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Maya and I are doing a "grandma/granddaughter reads" during school break. We read 2 chapters a day of a designated book and discuss them over the phone. Our first selection is The Boxcar Children's Tree House Mystery.

This was an awesome experience and Maya wants to continue our "club"! What is there not to like about this idea?
Shellys♥ Journal
I read this to my boys age 5 and 7. This is the first book in the series we have read. We really enjoyed it. The story is interesting, but simple. The language is perfect for read aloud or on their own (soon.) I wanted to push through to the end, because I had no idea what the mystery was. Can't wait to read more!!!
Ivan
Apr 15, 2015 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because I liked when Ricky saw the light in his house and it was a mystery, because nobody was staying in the house.

"It will take a long time to get all the wood to the creek," Ricky said.

An interesting leveled story. High Noon Books

This book did not win any awards.
Craig Curtis
Jan 14, 2016 Craig Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

5 Star
I love the boxcar children series, this is my favorite one out of all of them that I have read so far. I really recommend it for Boxcar Children Series.
-XxKoolKatxX Videos
Elevetha
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Elizabeth
May 04, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
But I don't get it. Do u have to buy it? Why can't I just download books for free? I love the series, but I want to read it on my iPod for free....
Rivka Ray
One of my favorite childhood series. I read over a hundred of them. The first 50 or so were in order; after that I read whatever book I could get my hands on :)
Becca
Nov 03, 2015 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read for. 9 year old

This was a fun mystery of the Boxcar children. I always like to see how they help other people while solving mysteries and problems.
Heather
Oct 10, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stacie
Nov 09, 2016 Stacie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids get new neighbors! The kids with the new 2 boys just build a tree house and of course, find a mystery. They find lost objects, a secret room, and save the day.
Kimmie Martocci
Kimmie Martocci rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2009
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2007
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Fenton
Fenton rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2007
Jennifer Brockhouse
Jennifer Brockhouse rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Michelle Sorensen
Michelle Sorensen rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Shemica
Shemica rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2016
Miranda Aleshire
Miranda Aleshire rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Amarantae
Amarantae rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • Mandie and the Abandoned Mine (Mandie Books, #8)
  • The Littles and the Great Halloween Scare
  • The Arctic Patrol Mystery (Hardy Boys, #48)
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • The Lost Locket (Nancy Drew: Notebooks, #2)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Search in the Great City (Bobbsey Twins, #9)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH ...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...

The Boxcar Children (1 - 10 of 143 books)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #6)
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #9)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)