Start by marking “American Wasteland: Bleak Tales of the Future on the Tenth Anniversary of 9/11” as Want to Read:
American Wasteland: Bleak Tales of the Future on the Tenth Anniversary of 9/11

American Wasteland: Bleak Tales of the Future on the Tenth Anniversary of 9/11

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  4 reviews
With all the talk of "hope" and "honor" that was bound to arise during the tenth anniversary of September 11th, the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography thought it was important to also remind the future of what the last ten years have REALLY been like. That's why the center put together this latest anthology, which took a dark science-fiction conceit as its core ...more
Published September 11th 2011 by CCLaP Publishing (first published August 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about American Wasteland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Wasteland

Jason Pettus
Feb 24, 2014 Jason Pettus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
FTC DISCLOSURE: I am the publisher of this book.

I'm the editor of this book, so I'm of course particularly a fan of it. All the stories are excellent in my opinion; and I think you'll be surprised by how naturally they all seem to fit, as if the authors had worked beforehand (which they didn't) on making sure all their little details matched. Not for the faint of heart!
Kerfe
For the 10th anniversary of 9/11 Jason Pettus wished to skip the sentimental celebrations. He asked writers to imagine the 20th anniversary in a world where McCain, Palin and the Republicans had ruled continuously after Bush left office.

It's not a pretty picture.

While the stories are certainly all worth reading, for the most part they did not seem that inspired by either 9/11 or Republican rule. Mostly they could have been any apocalyptic view of the way the world, in general, often seems headed
Ray Charbonneau
Sep 17, 2011 Ray Charbonneau rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I have the lead story in this anthology, so by definition, it's awesome.
Daniel
It is dark, but a good read
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Kat Vik
Kat Vik marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
John Skierski
John Skierski marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Myo Min Thu
Myo Min Thu is currently reading it
May 30, 2015
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Jin Yi
Jin Yi marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
John
Mar 03, 2013 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2012
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Clay Horath
Clay Horath marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2012
David Donaghe
David Donaghe marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2012
Demisty Bellinger
Demisty Bellinger marked it as to-read
David Antrobus
David Antrobus marked it as to-read
Caroline Gerardo
Caroline Gerardo marked it as to-read
Lawrence
Mar 30, 2012 Lawrence rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Buzz Ryan
Buzz Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2012
La-Shanda
La-Shanda marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2012
I'm the owner of the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography (cclapcenter.com), as well as a former novelist and travel writer myself.

Books in my list tagged "currently reading" are the ones literally in my apartment at the moment and with reviews coming soon. I am always happy to accept review copies of books directly from authors! Just drop me a line to obtain my mailing address.

Don't forg
More about Jason Pettus...
The CCLaP 100: Volume 1 CCLaP Journal #1 CCLaP Journal #4 CCLaP Journal #5 The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories