The Village That Vanished (Jane Addams Honor Book (Awards))

The Village That Vanished (Jane Addams Honor Book (Awards))

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Young Abekenile and all the villagers of Yao feel safe sheltered deep within the jungle. But word has now come that slavers are on their way! Abekenile looks to the women of her tribe: her mother, who comes up with a clever plan to fool the slavers, and a tribal elder, who stays behind to face the slavers, steadfast in her trust that the ancestor-spirits will watch over he...more
Published September 30th 2002 by Dial (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Village That Vanished (Jane Addams Honor Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Village That Vanished (Jane Addams Honor Book

Nina
This is a great book about courage. It is set during the time when slaves were being stolen from Africa. A woman and her daughter, when danger of their village being raided, come up with a plan to save it. By putting faith in their ancient relatives and spirits, they are able to escape and go live in the forest. Because of this, their village survives untouched. It is a great book for African American young readers to take pride in themselves and their ancestors!
Tanzina
This story is about a village in Yao, Africa, which disappears because of the fear of foreigners taking over the people of the village as slaves.

The story is told in the style of an African folk tale, which is traditional to the custom of Africa. These stories are told to others as a means of passing on knowledge amongst its people. This brings togetherness and has strong meaningful proverbs.

The way the story narrates allows readers to go through a mythological journey through magic and myster...more
Simon Joseph
The Village that Vanished is a powerful story about a small African village of the Yao people, whose inhabitants are trying to avoid being captured into slavery by another tribe.

As the book opens, we see the main character, a young girl, Abikanile, watching her mother pray by the river bank, and we learn that 'slavers' are coming. A plan comes to her mother as she prays, and she manages to convince the rest of the villagers to follow it. They will dismantle all their huts and vanish 'like smoke...more
(NS) Laura Jackson
This is a story about Abikanile and the villagers of Yao. Their tribe lives in the African jungle where they feel safe and hidden from the slavers. But, they soon find out that the slavers are on their way to come find them. Abikanile is scared when they find out the news and she looks for strength and guidance from both her grandmother and mother. With much planning, the women decide upon a plan to try and trick the slavers that are on their way in order to protect themselves and their tribe. T...more
Dolly
Jan 09, 2011 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful story about the survival of a tribe, evading slave traders, due to the wisdom of a young girl and the courage of an old woman. The story is enchanting and the illustrations are terrific. I love the expressions, the displays of tenderness and joy, of awe and of wisdom. It's a terrific story to read aloud, although I recommend it for older elementary school age children as it deals with the slave trade and is a bit long to keep a younger child's attention. I was torn between gi...more
Haileymurrayrocketmail.com
This story is told as though someone is recalling their tribes tale years after to the children of this village. The reader is present in a mother's prayer, grandmothers brave stand, and a daughters courageous crossing of a river. Through these lenses the author has beautifully captures the courage that is found in running ahead, making a plan, or refusing to move. This story also gives faces to the emotion, struggles, and triumph of a people on the captive side of slavery in their own homeland....more
Michael Mccarthy
This story is an African tale about a village called Yao that escapes slavers by moving. The village literally vanishes as the village people take everything they can carry and hide the rest. "The people stood back, then, leaning on their hoes, their tears wetting the soil where their homes had rested, as the smell of freshly turned earth rose about them."
The main characters in the story are a young girl called Abikanile and her mother, Njemile they guide their fellow villagers in an ingenious...more
Nicholas Humilier
Grade/interest level: K-3
Lexile: AD100L
Reading level: 1.3
Genre: Picture Book, Historical Fiction

Main Characters: Abikanile, Njemile, Chimwala, the Yao Tribe
Setting: Africa
POV: Third Person

The story centers around the relationship between Abikanile and her mother Njemile. In this story an entire tribe is forced to be uprooted and venture to new territory to evade slave traders. The village leaders were unable to devise a suitable plan to deal with the slave traders. At this moment, Njemile stepp...more
Philip
I've been sitting in on a 7th grade reading class. (The perks of having a student teacher...) Normally we get some reading time, but today the teacher read us this story.

Maybe it's because I'm a social studies teacher... I loved the story.

The teacher asked us to take notes. I did.

Then we paired up and answered some questions. A bunch of the kids wanted me as their partner, but I sat out. Since there was an odd number, I did get to partner with someone. Unfortunately for her, I basically made her...more
Jackie
In a small African village, a tale of courage and intelligence, is told to remind the people of the bravery of one young girl and her grandmother, as village outsmarted the men who came to capture them for slavery. Beautiful illustrations accompany this story told in a brilliant storytelling way.
Sister.Jade
Illustrator: Kadir Nelson
Publisher: Dial
Date: 2002
Genre: Historical Fiction/Culture
Strength: This story shows the community and family values of an African village and how everyone works together to make things work. This village worked together to hide their village and hide in the jungle so the slavers could not find them. It shows the courage of one elderly lady in the village who stayed behind to turn the slavers the other way by confirming there was no one nearby but her, and the slavers wo...more
Brianna Boyce
This book is a good example that as a child, you still have a voice and that you have to do things sometimes, not because you want to, but because you have to.
Becca
I became acquainted with Kadir Nelson's illustrations when he did "Salt in His Shoes" and was investigating what other books he has illustrated when I ran across this title by Ann Grifalconi. I loved its tie-in to oral story-telling and appreciated the brief notes. The illustrations of native Africans were tastefully done in this touching story of ingenuity, bravery, and faith.
Ch_wesley Miller
This delightful story is about a young African girl who must dig deep to find the courage to help her tribe escape vicious slavers. These slavers are getting closer to her tribe and they must pack up their whole village and hide. This story may provide inspiration for the young and old.It showcases the following core values; bravery,ingenuity,wisdom, and a keen sense of faith.
Rosie Harris
This book tells the story of a village escaping from men who want to make them slaves by tearing apart their village and going into the forrest. I would like to use this in my classroom. It is a great story to have available at any time but it would be very useful for a lesson on slavery since this is a perspective that our history books do not often address.
Abbi Kraus
This book tells about a village who hides from people who are trying to catch them and sell them into slavery. It shows the severity of the situation in a way that a child can understand. This is a good book to read before starting a unit on colonial America or the Civil War.
Andd Becker
Kadir Nelson illustrated this book. Ann Grifalconi tells the story in the tradition of the griot. The Yeo tribe flees from the slavers. Aided by ancestor-spirits, the Yaos cross the river to safety.
Rachel
Gives insight into the culture of African villages during the time of slave hunts. The villagers rely on their ancestors to help the disappear into the woods to escape.
Kris
Courageous young girl and courageous elder woman in this story of how the Yao escaped the slavers.
Ashley Travers
A story of faith and how a community works together to overcome difficulties.
Ellen
Wonderful story about survival and preservation!
Sherri
An exciting adventure. Hurray for brave girls!
Jim
kadir nelson did the art. get it.
Shqipe
Shqipe marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Charlie Wu
Charlie Wu marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
ABC REMIX
ABC REMIX is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Village of Round and Square Houses Ain't Nobody a Stranger to Me Osa's Pride Darkness And The Butterfly Kinda Blue