Start by marking “The Price” as Want to Read:
The Price

The Price

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Arthur Miller's deeply moving drama reunites two long estranged middle-aged brothers. Nostalgia and recrimination erupt as they sell off an attic full of furniture, their last link to a family and a world that no longer exist. This 1968 classic is a wrenching saga of plaintive gestures and missed opportunities. A BBC Co-production.
Audio CD, 110 pages
Published February 1st 2002 by LA Theatre Works (first published April 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price

Bridget
Yes, Mom. I read this book in high school, in 11th grade Lit Classics with Mr. McCann.

I like to revisit books. I like to see how my understanding and appreciation can change over the course of time. The Price holds up to my first reading, but I think I got more out of it this time around.

Miller's use of language is no-nonsense, straightforward, simple even. But the deliberate choice of words in dialogue (and stage direction/descriptions) renders poetic and deeply profound meaning. The Price is
Suzammah
Touching, hilarious and very very sharp. The first act feels more light-hearted than the second but it sets the scene well for the take down of family narratives and justifications - the choices we make and the way we justify them, weaving them into a lifetime of narrative. We saw a great production of this in Seattle.

The Polish furniture dealer adds much comedy, but also welds the knife:
'My boy, you don't know the psychology! It it wouldn't break there is no more possibilities. For instance, y
After reading more than 5 plays by Miller, I have noticed a very common recurring theme of plot. The typical broken American family of the depression era, struggling to make ends meet, the father having to make unethical (and sometimes selfish) decisions to put bread on the table, and in the process damaging his family or even losing a few sons (always sons, never daughters with Miller).

I think most people won't like Miller unless they can relate to his characters and his themes in some way. The
Tony
THE PRICE. (1968). Arthur Miller. ****.
Said to be Miller’s most successful play on Broadway since “Death of a Salesman,” this drama focuses on the long-standing separation of two brothers as they prepare to sell off their dead father’s furniture and other possessions. The father had died a few years before, but the city was about to tear down the apartment building where he had lived. Victor, the younger brother, a policeman, was in the apartment, and was taking the necessary final steps to off
Barbara
In this two-act play, brothers Victor and Walter Franz, estranged for sixteen years, meet to dispose of their parents' belongings; the setting is the attic of a brownstone slated for demolition, peripheral characters are Esther, Victor's wife, and Gregory Solomon, the aging dealer who has come to make them an offer for the furniture.

Walter and Victor have led very different lives, the former as a wealthy and successful surgeon, the latter as a police officer struggling to make ends meet. But Vic
Shelley
I would give this book 3-1/2 stars if I could. I have been to many, many plays over the years and kept thinking in the back of my mind in regards to Act One, how uneventful, how unexciting and how would it possibly fill up 2 hours or even the 1-1/2 hours on stage? But into the Second Act, it all came together. We learn the complexes of the character's relationships with one another, with their father, with their wives and why it is what it is today because of what took place in their past. It wa ...more
Stephen Bird
"The Price" is my favorite of all the plays I've read by Arthur Miller thus far. Within this drama, the characters are flawed, contradictory, disturbed, frustrated, in denial, good, and bad. Because I'm the same age as the protagonist / antagonist, Victor, I viscerally relate to the dilemma / mid-life crisis he's experiencing. Is it too late for that second chance--too late for Victor to actually make something of himself as he conceived when he was young and not so disillusioned? There's not mu ...more
علی
Most of Arthur miller’s plays such as “A View from the Bridge”, “The Crucible”, “All My Sons”, “Death of a Salesman” etc. are categorized as modern tragedies; the struggles of the everyday man; social American tragedies, focusing on the dark side of the American dream. “All my Sons” is a classic play, about guilt, responsibility, and the relationship between fathers and sons in the aftermath of a World War II corruption case, when two brothers come together to dispose of their parents' estate, t ...more
Connie
This play is about two brothers who come together to sell the family furniture to an antique dealer in Manhattan after their father's death. Victor is a policeman who gave up his college education in science to take care of his father after the stock market crash. Walter is a successful doctor who went on with his schooling, contributed almost nothing to help his father, but felt that his father had plenty of savings that he was not touching. Each brother is looking at the past and their father' ...more
Heba Ashraf
مفيش أحسن من المقال ده يلخص فكرة المسرحية
سارة
التصوير المسرحي فيها فوق الوصف
حقيقة شئ خيالي
بس هو بيوصلك في النهاية ان في ناس بيحبوا يجيبوا شماعة ويعلقوا عليها كل حياتهم الفاشلة
والشماعة دي مالهاش وجود أساساً
والغريب ان هما لما بيتأكدوا ان مالهاش وجود مبيقدروش بردو يستغنوا عنها لانهم مش هيقدروا يواجهوا نفسهم بالحقيقة
وأنا أحب أقوله ان ده حال كل المصريين والعرب يا باشا
Leah Wener-Fligner
L.A. Theater works via SPL
Steven
"The Price" of the title is the legacy of the past. The past is dotted with choices, and the results of these choices govern the present.

"You have to make decisions," as one of the characters says here, "and you never know what's what until it's too late."
Moose
This play explores the humanity of the two brothers who both come from different moral dilemmas. What each want is to reclaim the opportunities lost to time and to shake off the regret and guilt that they both harbor. That's impossible of course, so in the face of this impossibility they rage at each other to avoid the crushing reality of the harsh truth.

I would love to see this play performed.
Asa Merritt
Feb 26, 2007 Asa Merritt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Miller fans & Ethical theater
Clean and well-written. Three of the four characters emerge vividly, especially a 90 year old ex-navy furniture appraiser. The play's heart lies in the relationship of two brothers who have been estranged for sixteen years. Unfortunately, these men feel like men of Millers generation, and the spirit of their emotional lives feels dated. You can't argue with Miller though, so it's worth the read.
Karla
When a family member dies, the items left over represent more than just furniture and knickknacks. For Victor and his brother Walter, there was a price paid for everything but the cost was much more significant. The two must overcome their bitterness in order to settle the estate of their dead parents but they find that the past has a way of creeping into the present in life-altering ways.
Delaney Dixon
When first introduced to this play I had dangerously assumed that it would be an easy read and concluded that the material was too "on the surface" to enjoy. Once I read it, however, I discovered I was completely wrong. This play is intellectually enticing, displaying the complex family relationships in humanity and their changed after the Great Depression.
Lysergius
In a soon to be demolished family house, two brothers meet after many years to dispose of their dead parent's property. The resulting confrontation leads them to examine the events and qualities of their very different lives and the price that each of them has had to pay.
Phillip
This play took a while to really get interesting, but I think the last portion is quite good. I liked the character of Solomon, even though the portrayal of an Eastern European Jewish furniture dealer was a bit stereotypical.
Rute Mendes
I didn't actually read it, I saw the play. It's a good play that makes us think of what really matters in life. Is it the career? Is it family? Is it money? What is it?
:) Good job, Mr. Miller!
Crystal
A great play for two men. A tale of lost brotherly love, expectations lost, and unknown responsibilities. Throw in a 90 year old Russian-Jew for laughs and you got yourself an entertaining read.
Joshua
I'm not sure what I think. I liked it very much. I feel like I need to re-read it soon. Perhaps very soon. But I want to think on it. I don't think I grasped it all.
Sean Endymion
Really fascinating look at the delusions we live with. Miller -- as always -- shows his mastery of dialogue and his passion for introspection. Great play.
Stephanie
A very moving and complex story of choices made. The reading was superb!
Dzubras

Thought provoking. Reads well despite it's age.
This is the best play I've read by Miller.
Carole
How did we ever miss this one until now?
Andrew
I love this play. It is a must read.
  • Chapter Two
  • Heartbreak House
  • The Beauty Queen of Leenane
  • A Life in the Theatre
  • Ruined
Arthur Asher Miller was an American playwright and essayist. He was a prominent figure in American literature and cinema for over 61 years, writing a wide variety of plays, including celebrated plays such as The Crucible, A View from the Bridge, All My Sons, and Death of a Salesman, which are still studied and performed worldwide. Miller was often in the public eye, most famously for refusing to g ...more
More about Arthur Miller...
The Crucible Death of a Salesman All My Sons A View from the Bridge After the Fall