Start by marking “Aspects of the Theory of Syntax” as Want to Read:
Aspects of the Theory of Syntax

Aspects of the Theory of Syntax

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Beginning in the middle '50s & emanating largely from MIT, an approach was developed to linguistic theory & to the study of the structure of particular languages that diverges in many respects from modern linguistics. Altho this approach is connected to the traditional study of language, it differs enough in its general objectives & in specific conclusions abou ...more
Published March 15th 1969 by MIT Press (Cambridge, MA) (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Aspects of the Theory of Syntax, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aspects of the Theory of Syntax

Pascal-Denis Lussier
Oct 01, 2009 Pascal-Denis Lussier rated it it was amazing
Very necessary
Gary Bruff
Chomsky's Aspects is usually divided by readers into two parts--the philosophical part and the nuts-and-bolts part. I will treat the two parts here separately.

The Methodological Preliminaries section is considered a classic in the field of linguistics. Here is an early (1965) formulation of the poverty of the stimulus argument. How can a perfect system emerge from the messy chaos of actual speech that the young'n is exposed to? Chomsky uses this as the basis of his argument that syntax is innate
Emily
Mar 15, 2015 Emily rated it did not like it
This created a lot of responsive research, mostly because people kept citing this despite huge flaws. It would be easier to evaluate this work if he could write more clearly.
Mark
Jun 24, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the most formative, mind-expanding and influential books I ever read as a young uni student; I thoroughly recommend you do too. m
Marcus Lira
Nice work by Chomsky, it's one of his early (but apparently over-rated) works. Dense, interesting and really creative. Of all things stated in this book, I just can't buy his arguments for the innateness of language in the first part of this book, although one can easily dismiss those ideas and proceed to the other chapters without any considerable problem (I, personally, had no problem in doing that).
Dan Slimmon
Dec 15, 2015 Dan Slimmon rated it really liked it
Damn this is a chewy book. I had to read each chapter at least twice to even get the gist of the argument, and I'll probably have to go through the book a few more times over the next year or so.

Still, I already have a much better understanding of Chomsky's formulation, and I can see how valuable this is going to be for understanding how we've arrived at our contemporary discussion of syntax.
Joshua Casteel
Jan 20, 2008 Joshua Casteel rated it it was ok
Awe-inspiring, but still an essentially cauldrony-esoteric approach to a perfectly human behavior. Where's the beef?
People say my name should be Jeff
I don't give this one star only because this book spurred a great deal of research in Linguistics.
T. Patrick Snyder
T. Patrick Snyder marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
d_ laf
d_ laf added it
Aug 08, 2016
Tinna Magnusson
Tinna Magnusson marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Oscar
Oscar marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Aida
Aida added it
Jul 17, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Yamil Yulan
Yamil Yulan rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Sergio Nhantumbo
Sergio Nhantumbo marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
William Parry
William Parry is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2016
Siva
Siva marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
David
David is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2016
Jorge Del bosque
Jorge Del bosque marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Pramod Gaikwad
Pramod Gaikwad marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
  • Words and Rules: The Ingredients of Language
  • Linguistics: An Introduction to Language and Communication
  • Linguistic Semantics: An Introduction
  • Course in General Linguistics
  • Language Change: Progress or Decay?
  • Minimalist Syntax
  • Language
  • The Linguistics Wars
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
  • Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things: What Categories Reveal About the Mind
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...