Start by marking “Monsters” as Want to Read:
Monsters

Monsters

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Of course that monster hiding under your bed when you were little didn't really exist. Vampires, werewolves, zombies, demons--they're simply figments of our imagination, right? After all, their existence has never been scientifically proven. But there is one giant problem with such an easy dismissal of these creepy creatures: people keep encountering them.

Join occult schol
Published September 1st 2011 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters

Lea
I picked this up around Halloween, hoping for something slightly spooky, kind of like The Mothman Prophecies.

I love weird -- I mean, REALLY love it. Ancient aliens, impossible pre-history, cryptozoology, count me in. So of course a book like this -- wow, we're exploring REAL MONSTERS! -- makes my heart beat a little faster and my eyes twinkle.

But this books just . . . wasn't it. For me, it was just okay, not because it was poorly written, but because the subject doesn't really appeal to me. Vamp
Marcus
Apr 26, 2008 Marcus rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ghost-Hunters, Scary Story fans
Even if you don't believe in ghosts, demons, or other monsters, the aim of this book is a fascinating thought experiment: explain the existence of phenomena which are consistent across the experiences of humans with no communication or cultural link - despite the lack of any empirical evidence. While usually tackled by parapsychology and appeals to a collective unconscious, or the common evolutionary roots of human thinking, this author has a much more novel claim they're real!

But assuming ghost
Last  Changeling
Don't be put off by the mixed reviews, Greer may be an acquired taste, (please go to the trouble of acquiring it, you'll be rewarded with a headful of fresh ideas), but he knows his stuff.
There aren't many people out there who draw the parallel between UFO stories and faery lore, despite the obvious parallels, but Greer gets it.
Likewise the way he neatly sets out the differences between the, (apparently), solid world we inhabit, and the more etheric levels is disturbingly logical.
I've only jus
Monster
This is a New Agey manual on the fantasy creatures we know and love. How to find them, identify them, protect yourself against them, run a basic investigation, as well as a hodgepodge of history and cultural takes can all be found in this book. However, it has a tone that's bitterly anti-science (citing the Santa Claus defense, “so many people believe it, how could it not be true” as proof of these creatures existence) liberally redefines terms, and cherry picks data and history to suit the auth ...more
Michele Lee
Reviewed for MonsterLibrarian.com

Monsters is a New Agey manual on the fantasy creatures we know and love. How to find them, identify them, protect yourself against them, run a basic investigation, as well as a hodgepodge of history and cultural takes can all be found in this book. However the point of view comes from a tone that's bitterly anti-science (citing the Santa Claus defense, “So many people believe it, how could it not be true” as proof of these creatures existence) and liberally rede
Bri
May 19, 2012 Bri rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Monster aficionados, occult students,
I wanted to like this book. I really wanted to like it. I had been looking for this book for over ten years when I finally found it a few months ago.

I started off enjoying the book but then... It was pedantic. And mocking, self-important, and repetitious.

If you wanted to tackle this book in portions it might not be so bad. If you tried to read only the bits that interested you it might be good; unfortunately I did not take this approach and am now soured on this book to the point that I don'
Zan G
May 26, 2007 Zan G rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: real life fox mulders
This is a long study on monsters as actual creatures and how to combat them. It, for the most part, states that monsters are multi-dimensional beings or astral projections and explains their inability to be detected/killed/captured by simply stating they are magic. It has a lot of interesting stuff about folklore within it, the chapter on the origins of vampire folklore and the information about traditional European faerys was interesting as well. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's still wor ...more
Brent Ryan
I love the approach to explanation cryptids. However I think the name should be Cryptid instead of "Monster". 'Monster' is very vague and ill-defined a term for what information is in the book.
Elizabeth Eiler
Fabulous book! Greer offers eye-opening, educated, extremely thoughtful and experienced views about many types of paranormal events and the spiritual beings responsible. Anyone who wants to learn about ghosts, hauntings, the spirit world, demons, or the unexplained should read this book. I think it's a must for anyone interested in the paranormal or parapsychology.
Frank
A few good bits of folklore, which is why I picked it up. Otherwise, a lot of goofy, self-seriousousness. The author's arguments against scientific explanations for monsters were blatently flawed and subjective. No, I'm not surprised.
Mac
Pure hokum, but amusing, with a number of interesting concepts, such as the connection between fairy lore and ufo reports.
Felicia
Aug 07, 2007 Felicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all that wonder exactly what is that?
This is a good reference book as well as a good read. It is a starter book book for those who want to dwelve deeper.
Madman!!
If I were to teach a class about monstrous beings, this would be the required text.
Kathryn
Do you know why America doesn't have vampires? I do.
Ingrid
An interesting read with a unique perspective.
Laura Oliva
Laura Oliva is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2014
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Laura Ketterman
Laura Ketterman marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Marta Z-á
Marta Z-á marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Mary Alice
Mary Alice marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Fox
Fox added it
Oct 09, 2014
Kathryn Love
Kathryn Love marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Werewolf: A True Story Of Demonic Possession
  • The Book of Druidry
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Protection & Reversal Magick: A Witch's Defense Manual (Beyond 101)
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • Magickal Mystical Creatures: Invite Their Powers Into Your Life
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories
  • The Werewolf in Lore and Legend
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
John Michael Greer is an author of over thirty books and the blogger behind The Archdruid Report. He also serves as Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America. His work addresses a range of subjects, including peak oil and the future of industrial society. He lives in Cumberland, Maryland with his wife.
More about John Michael Greer...
The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth The Ecotechnic Future: Envisioning a Post-Peak World The New Encyclopedia of the Occult A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry Into Polytheism